Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Why Did Corning Stop Making "Grab It" Bowls?

There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
perfect for soups, stew, chili. You could carry them into another room if
you wanted to munch while watching television, without needing pot holders
to carry the hot bowl. They even had lids - plastic snap-on or fitted glass
tops for storing leftovers in the fridge. Yet they stopped making them.
What's up with that?

It's no wonder I haven't bought Corning Ware in years. They don't sell
anything I like anymore. The original "cornflower blue" casserole dishes
show up now on eBay. Fortunately I have a set of them

I'm just curious as to why companies take successful products off the
market. I'm all for innovation, new ideas. But hey, if it ain't broke
don't fix it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
> perfect for soups, stew, chili. You could carry them into another room if
> you wanted to munch while watching television, without needing pot holders
> to carry the hot bowl. They even had lids - plastic snap-on or fitted
> glass tops for storing leftovers in the fridge. Yet they stopped making
> them. What's up with that?
>
> It's no wonder I haven't bought Corning Ware in years. They don't sell
> anything I like anymore. The original "cornflower blue" casserole dishes
> show up now on eBay. Fortunately I have a set of them
>
> I'm just curious as to why companies take successful products off the
> market. I'm all for innovation, new ideas. But hey, if it ain't broke
> don't fix it.

Maybe they weren't so successful after all? I do have one but it's not the
bowl. It's the square plate type thing. I bought it when I first bought my
microwave. I didn't know anything about microwaves but people kept telling
me you needed to use special dishes in them. So I bought special dishes,
including that. Then I learned that you could just put your regular dishes
in there provided they didn't have stuff like gold or silver paint or were
made of Melamine.

I may have used that Grab It once or twice. And now that I think about it I
should just get rid of it.

I have always had soup bowls. They have handles. So if I want something
with a handle, I use those.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2011 3:55 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
> perfect for soups, stew, chili. You could carry them into another room
> if you wanted to munch while watching television, without needing pot
> holders to carry the hot bowl. They even had lids - plastic snap-on or
> fitted glass tops for storing leftovers in the fridge. Yet they stopped
> making them. What's up with that?

I have a couple of pots I use for the microwave. They aren't
grab it bowls, but small pots with handles, made by Corningware.
They have glass lids. Very handy for microwaving vegetables or
reheating soups or whatever. It is in the cornflower pattern and
the set was a brand new hand-me-down someone didn't want.

I'd try to replace them if one broke. The matching little tea pot
broke in the great shelf collapse of 2009.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
>> perfect for soups, stew, chili. You could carry them into another room if
>> you wanted to munch while watching television, without needing pot holders
>> to carry the hot bowl. They even had lids - plastic snap-on or fitted
>> glass tops for storing leftovers in the fridge. Yet they stopped making
>> them. What's up with that?
>>
>> It's no wonder I haven't bought Corning Ware in years. They don't sell
>> anything I like anymore. The original "cornflower blue" casserole dishes
>> show up now on eBay. Fortunately I have a set of them
>>
>> I'm just curious as to why companies take successful products off the
>> market. I'm all for innovation, new ideas. But hey, if it ain't broke
>> don't fix it.

> Maybe they weren't so successful after all? I do have one but it's not the
> bowl. It's the square plate type thing. I bought it when I first bought my
> microwave. I didn't know anything about microwaves but people kept telling
> me you needed to use special dishes in them. So I bought special dishes,
> including that. Then I learned that you could just put your regular dishes
> in there provided they didn't have stuff like gold or silver paint or were
> made of Melamine.
>
> I may have used that Grab It once or twice. And now that I think about it I
> should just get rid of it.
>
> I have always had soup bowls. They have handles. So if I want something
> with a handle, I use those.

I have a grab it bowl with the glass top. The round ones I really did not
like. Soup would be too heavy for the single small handle and need very
strong fingers to keep it steady. It was next to impossible to pickup and
carry a with kitchen towel when hot from a microwave oven.

I do like the small square bowls that has two small handles on each side.
Easy to remove from the microwave but the glass lid was not easy to remove
when hot. Alway had to keep watch from burning your fingers off. But not
sure if the square ones are called the grab it.

However, if it is cold food mention not for reheating I always used plastic
containers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2011 3:55 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
> perfect for soups, stew, chili. You could carry them into another room
> if you wanted to munch while watching television, without needing pot
> holders to carry the hot bowl. They even had lids - plastic snap-on or
> fitted glass tops for storing leftovers in the fridge. Yet they stopped
> making them. What's up with that?
>
> It's no wonder I haven't bought Corning Ware in years. They don't sell
> anything I like anymore. The original "cornflower blue" casserole dishes
> show up now on eBay. Fortunately I have a set of them
>
> I'm just curious as to why companies take successful products off the
> market. I'm all for innovation, new ideas. But hey, if it ain't broke
> don't fix it.
>
> Jill

I don't like them for cooking or serving human food but they make great
cat dishes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2011 7:04 AM, Nad R wrote:
> "Julie > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
>>> perfect for soups, stew, chili. You could carry them into another room if
>>> you wanted to munch while watching television, without needing pot holders
>>> to carry the hot bowl. They even had lids - plastic snap-on or fitted
>>> glass tops for storing leftovers in the fridge. Yet they stopped making
>>> them. What's up with that?
>>>
>>> It's no wonder I haven't bought Corning Ware in years. They don't sell
>>> anything I like anymore. The original "cornflower blue" casserole dishes
>>> show up now on eBay. Fortunately I have a set of them
>>>
>>> I'm just curious as to why companies take successful products off the
>>> market. I'm all for innovation, new ideas. But hey, if it ain't broke
>>> don't fix it.

>> Maybe they weren't so successful after all? I do have one but it's not the
>> bowl. It's the square plate type thing. I bought it when I first bought my
>> microwave. I didn't know anything about microwaves but people kept telling
>> me you needed to use special dishes in them. So I bought special dishes,
>> including that. Then I learned that you could just put your regular dishes
>> in there provided they didn't have stuff like gold or silver paint or were
>> made of Melamine.
>>
>> I may have used that Grab It once or twice. And now that I think about it I
>> should just get rid of it.
>>
>> I have always had soup bowls. They have handles. So if I want something
>> with a handle, I use those.

> I have a grab it bowl with the glass top. The round ones I really did not
> like. Soup would be too heavy for the single small handle and need very
> strong fingers to keep it steady. It was next to impossible to pickup and
> carry a with kitchen towel when hot from a microwave oven.
>
> I do like the small square bowls that has two small handles on each side.
> Easy to remove from the microwave but the glass lid was not easy to remove
> when hot. Alway had to keep watch from burning your fingers off. But not
> sure if the square ones are called the grab it.
>
> However, if it is cold food mention not for reheating I always used plastic
> containers.

Corning Ware was Pyroceram (a ceramic made from glass), which could
often be heated to red heat and plunged into water without breaking.
Especially, I remember its use for stove top, directly heated, coffee
makers. Some years ago, Corning sold the name and patents and the new
owners found could sell much cheaper formulations with the name but not
the heat resistance and that's what you get now.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nad R" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
>>> perfect for soups, stew, chili. You could carry them into another room
>>> if
>>> you wanted to munch while watching television, without needing pot
>>> holders
>>> to carry the hot bowl. They even had lids - plastic snap-on or fitted
>>> glass tops for storing leftovers in the fridge. Yet they stopped making
>>> them. What's up with that?
>>>
>>> It's no wonder I haven't bought Corning Ware in years. They don't sell
>>> anything I like anymore. The original "cornflower blue" casserole
>>> dishes
>>> show up now on eBay. Fortunately I have a set of them
>>>
>>> I'm just curious as to why companies take successful products off the
>>> market. I'm all for innovation, new ideas. But hey, if it ain't broke
>>> don't fix it.

>> Maybe they weren't so successful after all? I do have one but it's not
>> the
>> bowl. It's the square plate type thing. I bought it when I first bought
>> my
>> microwave. I didn't know anything about microwaves but people kept
>> telling
>> me you needed to use special dishes in them. So I bought special dishes,
>> including that. Then I learned that you could just put your regular
>> dishes
>> in there provided they didn't have stuff like gold or silver paint or
>> were
>> made of Melamine.
>>
>> I may have used that Grab It once or twice. And now that I think about
>> it I
>> should just get rid of it.
>>
>> I have always had soup bowls. They have handles. So if I want something
>> with a handle, I use those.

> I have a grab it bowl with the glass top. The round ones I really did not
> like. Soup would be too heavy for the single small handle and need very
> strong fingers to keep it steady. It was next to impossible to pickup and
> carry a with kitchen towel when hot from a microwave oven.
>
> I do like the small square bowls that has two small handles on each side.
> Easy to remove from the microwave but the glass lid was not easy to remove
> when hot. Alway had to keep watch from burning your fingers off. But not
> sure if the square ones are called the grab it.
>
> However, if it is cold food mention not for reheating I always used
> plastic
> containers.
> --
> Enjoy Life... Nad R (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

I guess Grab Its weren't as popular as I thought. The handle is perfect for
my hands and never felt hot to me. Soup definitely wasn't too heavy for the
round grab it. I'm glad I still have 6 of them (with both glass and plastic
lids). Square shapes would bother me. IMHO bowls shouldn't be square.
Funny, on the Corning web site they still sell the plastic covers for Grab
Its but they don't sell the bowls. Go Figure.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Corning Ware was Pyroceram (a ceramic made from glass), which could often
> be heated to red heat and plunged into water without breaking. Especially,
> I remember its use for stove top, directly heated, coffee makers.

I have one of those! When my drip coffee maker died I used the Corning
percolator directly on the stovetop. It worked perfectly even though I did
feel like I was in the 1930's making coffee on the stove top

> Some years ago, Corning sold the name and patents and the new owners found
> could sell much cheaper formulations with the name but not the heat
> resistance and that's what you get now.

That explains it! They don't care.

> James Silverton, Potomac

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
> perfect for soups, stew, chili. You could carry them into another room
> if you wanted to munch while watching television, without needing pot
> holders to carry the hot bowl. They even had lids - plastic snap-on or
> fitted glass tops for storing leftovers in the fridge. Yet they stopped
> making them. What's up with that?
>
> It's no wonder I haven't bought Corning Ware in years. They don't sell
> anything I like anymore. The original "cornflower blue" casserole
> dishes show up now on eBay. Fortunately I have a set of them
>
> I'm just curious as to why companies take successful products off the
> market. I'm all for innovation, new ideas. But hey, if it ain't broke
> don't fix it.
>
> Jill

The ceramic they used was expensive, so they switched to glass, which is
not nearly as heat resistant. Basically, they ruined the product and
hope nobody would notice.

If you look at the bottoms of your old "cornflower" Corningware pieces,
they say they can be used on the stovetop on broiler. The new white
glass pieces (which are also heavier than the old stuff) say oven use only.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>> There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
>> perfect for soups, stew, chili. You could carry them into another room
>> if you wanted to munch while watching television, without needing pot
>> holders to carry the hot bowl. They even had lids - plastic snap-on or
>> fitted glass tops for storing leftovers in the fridge. Yet they stopped
>> making them. What's up with that?
>>
>> It's no wonder I haven't bought Corning Ware in years. They don't sell
>> anything I like anymore. The original "cornflower blue" casserole dishes
>> show up now on eBay. Fortunately I have a set of them
>>
>> I'm just curious as to why companies take successful products off the
>> market. I'm all for innovation, new ideas. But hey, if it ain't broke
>> don't fix it.
>>
>> Jill

> The ceramic they used was expensive, so they switched to glass, which is
> not nearly as heat resistant. Basically, they ruined the product and hope
> nobody would notice.
>
> If you look at the bottoms of your old "cornflower" Corningware pieces,
> they say they can be used on the stovetop on broiler. The new white glass
> pieces (which are also heavier than the old stuff) say oven use only.
>
> Bob

So they replaced good stuff with crap. There's a reason I don't replace old
things with new. This is one of them Thanks, Bob!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2011 9:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
>>> perfect for soups, stew, chili. You could carry them into another
>>> room if you wanted to munch while watching television, without
>>> needing pot holders to carry the hot bowl. They even had lids -
>>> plastic snap-on or fitted glass tops for storing leftovers in the
>>> fridge. Yet they stopped making them. What's up with that?
>>>
>>> It's no wonder I haven't bought Corning Ware in years. They don't
>>> sell anything I like anymore. The original "cornflower blue"
>>> casserole dishes show up now on eBay. Fortunately I have a set of
>>> them
>>>
>>> I'm just curious as to why companies take successful products off the
>>> market. I'm all for innovation, new ideas. But hey, if it ain't broke
>>> don't fix it.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> The ceramic they used was expensive, so they switched to glass, which
>> is not nearly as heat resistant. Basically, they ruined the product
>> and hope nobody would notice.
>>
>> If you look at the bottoms of your old "cornflower" Corningware
>> pieces, they say they can be used on the stovetop on broiler. The new
>> white glass pieces (which are also heavier than the old stuff) say
>> oven use only.
>>
>> Bob

> So they replaced good stuff with crap. There's a reason I don't replace
> old things with new. This is one of them Thanks, Bob!

Profit is all, as usual! There was an article in yesterday's New York
Times about the scarcity of relatively cheap generic cancer drugs, which
are not being made because the manufacturers consider the profits
inadequate. Extremely expensive (and less effective) patented treatments
are being prescribed nowadays.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-08-08, jmcquown > wrote:
> There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
> perfect for soups, stew, chili.

They still make them. Our TrueValue hardware store sells them. I was
going to buy a couple, but they're a ridiculous $10.95 ea! I bought a
a CorningWare French white casserole set for $29, instead.

http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/corn...le-set-1048149

I've been to Corningware outlet stores in the outlet malls. Perhaps
you can score Grab-its at a better price, there, next time you're in
an urban area. Last time I was in one, they were only $5-6 ea, but
that was 6-7 yrs ago.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 08:28:06 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> Some years ago, Corning sold the name and patents and the new
> owners found could sell much cheaper formulations with the name but not
> the heat resistance and that's what you get now

That has been talked about here. Too bad they cheapened the product.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 03:55:15 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
> perfect for soups, stew, chili. You could carry them into another room if
> you wanted to munch while watching television, without needing pot holders
> to carry the hot bowl. They even had lids - plastic snap-on or fitted glass
> tops for storing leftovers in the fridge. Yet they stopped making them.
> What's up with that?

I use soup mugs that I got from Campbell's for two labels +50¢ each
(or whatever it was). Never needed or wanted lids for them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 08:28:06 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>>> Maybe they weren't so successful after all? I do have one but it's not the
>>> bowl. It's the square plate type thing. I bought it when I first bought my
>>> microwave. I didn't know anything about microwaves but people kept telling
>>> me you needed to use special dishes in them. So I bought special dishes,
>>> including that. Then I learned that you could just put your regular dishes
>>> in there provided they didn't have stuff like gold or silver paint or were
>>> made of Melamine.
>>>
>>> I may have used that Grab It once or twice. And now that I think about it I
>>> should just get rid of it.
>>>
>>> I have always had soup bowls. They have handles. So if I want something
>>> with a handle, I use those.

>> I have a grab it bowl with the glass top. The round ones I really did not
>> like. Soup would be too heavy for the single small handle and need very
>> strong fingers to keep it steady. It was next to impossible to pickup and
>> carry a with kitchen towel when hot from a microwave oven.
>>
>> I do like the small square bowls that has two small handles on each side.
>> Easy to remove from the microwave but the glass lid was not easy to remove
>> when hot. Alway had to keep watch from burning your fingers off. But not
>> sure if the square ones are called the grab it.
>>
>> However, if it is cold food mention not for reheating I always used plastic
>> containers.

>Corning Ware was Pyroceram (a ceramic made from glass), which could
>often be heated to red heat and plunged into water without breaking.
>Especially, I remember its use for stove top, directly heated, coffee
>makers. Some years ago, Corning sold the name and patents and the new
>owners found could sell much cheaper formulations with the name but not
>the heat resistance and that's what you get now.

They still make the original Pyroceram products.

http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/corningware/products

The ones touted as stove top are original Pyroceram.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-08-08, The Cook > wrote:

> They still make the original Pyroceram products.
>
> http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/corningware/products
>
> The ones touted as stove top are original Pyroceram.

So it would seem:

"The original pyroceramic glass version of CorningWare was removed
from the US market in the late 1990s. It was re-introduced in 2009,
due to popular demand."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CorningWare

I'm not sure if they are exactly the same as the old blue flower line.
I hope not, as they pretty much sucked for stovetop cooking. Burnt
food caused by uneven heating and hotspots was quite common. I never
did like them and gave all mine away.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 06:45:09 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> I'd try to replace them if one broke. The matching little tea pot
> broke in the great shelf collapse of 2009.
>
> nancy

i hope no one was seriously injured.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 09:40:04 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> On 8/8/2011 9:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> The ceramic they used was expensive, so they switched to glass, which
>>> is not nearly as heat resistant. Basically, they ruined the product
>>> and hope nobody would notice.
>>>
>>> If you look at the bottoms of your old "cornflower" Corningware
>>> pieces, they say they can be used on the stovetop on broiler. The new
>>> white glass pieces (which are also heavier than the old stuff) say
>>> oven use only.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> So they replaced good stuff with crap. There's a reason I don't replace
>> old things with new. This is one of them Thanks, Bob!
>>

> Profit is all, as usual! There was an article in yesterday's New York
> Times about the scarcity of relatively cheap generic cancer drugs, which
> are not being made because the manufacturers consider the profits
> inadequate. Extremely expensive (and less effective) patented treatments
> are being prescribed nowadays.

the invisible hand job at work!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2011 12:05 PM, blake murphy wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 06:45:09 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> I'd try to replace them if one broke. The matching little tea pot
>> broke in the great shelf collapse of 2009.

> i hope no one was seriously injured.

(laugh!) Nah, only a set of luncheon dishes I didn't really use
anyway. Now those lame plastic shelf holders are the metal paddle
type, it wasn't all that fun having a bunch of stuff falling on me
in a cascade.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 03:55:15 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
>> perfect for soups, stew, chili. You could carry them into another room
>> if
>> you wanted to munch while watching television, without needing pot
>> holders
>> to carry the hot bowl. They even had lids - plastic snap-on or fitted
>> glass
>> tops for storing leftovers in the fridge. Yet they stopped making them.
>> What's up with that?
>>

> I use soup mugs that I got from Campbell's for two labels +50¢ each
> (or whatever it was). Never needed or wanted lids for them.

Shame on you for admitting you buy Campbell's soups! LOL Just kidding, of
course. I suspect most people on this ng, even those who consider
themselves gourmet chefs, buy Campbell's soup from time to time.

I wasn't thinking specifically about soup when I mentioned grab its bowls
with covers. More like reheating steamed squash (that would be yellow
summer squash for those who want to get picking) or reheating other leftover
vegetables. They really are handy little bowls. I'm lucky I saved the ones
Mom gave me back in the 1980's.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2011-08-08, jmcquown > wrote:
>> There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
>> perfect for soups, stew, chili.

> They still make them. Our TrueValue hardware store sells them. I was
> going to buy a couple, but they're a ridiculous $10.95 ea! I bought a
> a CorningWare French white casserole set for $29, instead.
>
> http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/corn...le-set-1048149
>
> I've been to Corningware outlet stores in the outlet malls. Perhaps
> you can score Grab-its at a better price, there, next time you're in
> an urban area. Last time I was in one, they were only $5-6 ea, but
> that was 6-7 yrs ago.
>
> nb

That's not a Grab It but I do have a "French White" casserole dish with a
lid. I use it to make potatoes au gratin

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-08-08, jmcquown > wrote:

> That's not a Grab It

http://tinyurl.com/3lfcj4b
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 12:55:36 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> Shame on you for admitting you buy Campbell's soups! LOL Just kidding, of
> course. I suspect most people on this ng, even those who consider
> themselves gourmet chefs, buy Campbell's soup from time to time.

I know, my bad... I bought more when I was younger than I do now.
It's mainly used for the crab/shrimp dip that I make on ever rarer
occasions these days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2011-08-08, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> That's not a Grab It

> http://tinyurl.com/3lfcj4b

That looks like them! Do the handles stay relatively cool in the
microwave oven like the old ones? The newer handleless French White
bowls get hot in the mw.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-08-08, zxcvbob > wrote:

> That looks like them! Do the handles stay relatively cool in the
> microwave oven like the old ones? The newer handleless French White
> bowls get hot in the mw.

http://www.amazon.com/CorningWare-Fr.../dp/B0002ISJEY

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2011 1:18 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2011-08-08, > wrote:
>>
>> That looks like them! Do the handles stay relatively cool in the
>> microwave oven like the old ones? The newer handleless French White
>> bowls get hot in the mw.

> http://www.amazon.com/CorningWare-Fr.../dp/B0002ISJEY

The later designs, without the metallic Cornflower Blue decorations,
were safer in a microwave. However, I've never had much trouble using
the Cornflower dishes reheating for a few minutes.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 08:28:06 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:

>>> I have a grab it bowl with the glass top. The round ones I really
>>> did not like. Soup would be too heavy for the single small handle
>>> and need very strong fingers to keep it steady. It was next to
>>> impossible to pickup and carry a with kitchen towel when hot from
>>> microwave oven.
>>>
>>> I do like the small square bowls that has two small handles on
>>> each
>>> side. Easy to remove from the microwave but the glass lid was not
>>> easy to remove when hot. Alway had to keep watch from burning your
>>> fingers off. But not sure if the square ones are called the grab
>>> it.
>>>
>>> However, if it is cold food mention not for reheating I always
>>> used
>>> plastic containers.

>> Corning Ware was Pyroceram (a ceramic made from glass), which could
>> often be heated to red heat and plunged into water without
>> breaking.
>> Especially, I remember its use for stove top, directly heated,
>> coffee
>> makers. Some years ago, Corning sold the name and patents and the
>> new
>> owners found could sell much cheaper formulations with the name but
>> not the heat resistance and that's what you get now.

> They still make the original Pyroceram products.
>
> http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/corningware/products
>
> The ones touted as stove top are original Pyroceram.

Many thanks, Susan! I've now ordered two replacement plastic lids for
those I lost in our house fire. Great - no more plastic wrap!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> I'm not sure if they are exactly the same as the old blue flower
> line.
> I hope not, as they pretty much sucked for stovetop cooking. Burnt
> food caused by uneven heating and hotspots was quite common. I
> never
> did like them and gave all mine away.
>
> nb

But they're great for oven casseroles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On 8/8/2011 1:18 PM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2011-08-08, > wrote:
>>>
>>> That looks like them! Do the handles stay relatively cool in the
>>> microwave oven like the old ones? The newer handleless French White
>>> bowls get hot in the mw.

>> http://www.amazon.com/CorningWare-Fr.../dp/B0002ISJEY

In the first few comments on the Amazon page, it is mentioned that the
listed dishes are not for stove-top so I'll bet they are not really
Pyroceram.
--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> notbob wrote:
>> On 2011-08-08, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> That's not a Grab It

>> http://tinyurl.com/3lfcj4b

> That looks like them! Do the handles stay relatively cool in the
> microwave oven like the old ones? The newer handleless French White bowls
> get hot in the mw.
>
> -Bob

They do stay cool! Those are the ones I was talking about!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 13:51:31 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>>> http://www.amazon.com/CorningWare-Fr.../dp/B0002ISJEY
>>>

>In the first few comments on the Amazon page, it is mentioned that the
>listed dishes are not for stove-top so I'll bet they are not really
>Pyroceram.

Check out the link I posted above. It is the Corning page and says
that some of them are of the Original Pyroceram. French white is not
one of them. If it says "StoveTop" it is.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2011 2:30 PM, The Cook wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 13:51:31 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:

>> In the first few comments on the Amazon page, it is mentioned that the
>> listed dishes are not for stove-top so I'll bet they are not really
>> Pyroceram.

> Check out the link I posted above. It is the Corning page and says
> that some of them are of the Original Pyroceram. French white is not
> one of them. If it says "StoveTop" it is.

Given the prices asked they may well be pyroceram. I might investigate
further, thanks!

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
>perfect for soups, stew, chili. You could carry them into another room if
>you wanted to munch while watching television, without needing pot holders
>to carry the hot bowl. They even had lids - plastic snap-on or fitted glass
>tops for storing leftovers in the fridge. Yet they stopped making them.
>What's up with that?
>
>It's no wonder I haven't bought Corning Ware in years. They don't sell
>anything I like anymore. The original "cornflower blue" casserole dishes
>show up now on eBay. Fortunately I have a set of them
>
>I'm just curious as to why companies take successful products off the
>market. I'm all for innovation, new ideas. But hey, if it ain't broke
>don't fix it.

Companies find new manufacturing methods for producing similar
products much more cheaply... and they want folks to run out to buy
the latest and greatest model never mind it won't last nearly as long
as the old model. If everyone bought one bowl that lasted forever
bowl companies would go out of business.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 02:03:04 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
>> perfect for soups, stew, chili. You could carry them into another room if
>> you wanted to munch while watching television, without needing pot holders
>> to carry the hot bowl. They even had lids - plastic snap-on or fitted
>> glass tops for storing leftovers in the fridge. Yet they stopped making
>> them. What's up with that?
>>
>> It's no wonder I haven't bought Corning Ware in years. They don't sell
>> anything I like anymore. The original "cornflower blue" casserole dishes
>> show up now on eBay. Fortunately I have a set of them
>>
>> I'm just curious as to why companies take successful products off the
>> market. I'm all for innovation, new ideas. But hey, if it ain't broke
>> don't fix it.

>Maybe they weren't so successful after all? I do have one but it's not the
>bowl. It's the square plate type thing. I bought it when I first bought my
>microwave. I didn't know anything about microwaves but people kept telling
>me you needed to use special dishes in them. So I bought special dishes,
>including that. Then I learned that you could just put your regular dishes
>in there provided they didn't have stuff like gold or silver paint or were
>made of Melamine.
>
>I may have used that Grab It once or twice. And now that I think about it I
>should just get rid of it.
>
>I have always had soup bowls. They have handles. So if I want something
>with a handle, I use those.

I don't cook in mine, I use them for storing left overs in the fridge
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 Aug 2011 15:27:25 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-08-08, jmcquown > wrote:
>> There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
>> perfect for soups, stew, chili.

>They still make them. Our TrueValue hardware store sells them. I was
>going to buy a couple, but they're a ridiculous $10.95 ea! I bought a
>a CorningWare French white casserole set for $29, instead.
>
>http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/corn...le-set-1048149
>
>I've been to Corningware outlet stores in the outlet malls. Perhaps
>you can score Grab-its at a better price, there, next time you're in
>an urban area. Last time I was in one, they were only $5-6 ea, but
>that was 6-7 yrs ago.

Cost a lot more now:
http://www.amazon.com/CorningWare-Fr...2843176&sr=8-1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 Aug 2011 17:00:29 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-08-08, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> That's not a Grab It

>http://tinyurl.com/3lfcj4b

That's with the plastic cover, costs nearly twice as much with the
glass cover:
http://www.amazon.com/CorningWare-Fr...2843176&sr=8-1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2011 9:27 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2011-08-08, > wrote:
>> There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
>> perfect for soups, stew, chili.

> They still make them. Our TrueValue hardware store sells them. I was
> going to buy a couple, but they're a ridiculous $10.95 ea! I bought a
> a CorningWare French white casserole set for $29, instead.
>
> http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/corn...le-set-1048149
>
> I've been to Corningware outlet stores in the outlet malls. Perhaps
> you can score Grab-its at a better price, there, next time you're in
> an urban area. Last time I was in one, they were only $5-6 ea, but
> that was 6-7 yrs ago.
>
> nb

Yes, you can find look-alikes with the Corning label, but they are
stoneware not the original pyroceram. About the only place you can find
the originals is at thrift shops. And the new ones are made in China,
not Corning, NY.

As Jill said, the originals are great for soup, stew. chili and storing
and reheating leftovers.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2011 11:45 AM, Dora wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure if they are exactly the same as the old blue flower line.
>> I hope not, as they pretty much sucked for stovetop cooking. Burnt
>> food caused by uneven heating and hotspots was quite common. I never
>> did like them and gave all mine away.
>>
>> nb

> But they're great for oven casseroles.

Right. They were never any good for stovetop but were terrific
for baking in the oven or reheating in the microwave.

About 10 years ago when I saw that all the pyroceram was no longer being
made I began to look for them in various thrift stores. Some were like
new, some pretty scratched and stained. I bought quite a few of the
good ones in all sizes. They are now much harder to find.

gloria p

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> There's nothing better than a bowl with a handle. Grab It bowls were
>> perfect for soups, stew, chili. You could carry them into another
>> room if you wanted to munch while watching television, without needing
>> pot holders to carry the hot bowl. They even had lids - plastic
>> snap-on or fitted glass tops for storing leftovers in the fridge. Yet
>> they stopped making them. What's up with that?
>>
>> It's no wonder I haven't bought Corning Ware in years. They don't
>> sell anything I like anymore. The original "cornflower blue"
>> casserole dishes show up now on eBay. Fortunately I have a set of
>> them
>>
>> I'm just curious as to why companies take successful products off the
>> market. I'm all for innovation, new ideas. But hey, if it ain't
>> broke don't fix it.
>>
>> Jill

> The ceramic they used was expensive, so they switched to glass, which is
> not nearly as heat resistant. Basically, they ruined the product and
> hope nobody would notice.
>
> If you look at the bottoms of your old "cornflower" Corningware pieces,
> they say they can be used on the stovetop on broiler. The new white
> glass pieces (which are also heavier than the old stuff) say oven use only.
>
> Bob

So, that's a good clue as to which product you are getting. Thanks.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> On 8/8/2011 9:34 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> The ceramic they used was expensive, so they switched to glass, which
>>> is not nearly as heat resistant. Basically, they ruined the product
>>> and hope nobody would notice.
>>>
>>> If you look at the bottoms of your old "cornflower" Corningware
>>> pieces, they say they can be used on the stovetop on broiler. The new
>>> white glass pieces (which are also heavier than the old stuff) say
>>> oven use only.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> So they replaced good stuff with crap. There's a reason I don't replace
>> old things with new. This is one of them Thanks, Bob!
>>

> Profit is all, as usual! There was an article in yesterday's New York
> Times about the scarcity of relatively cheap generic cancer drugs, which
> are not being made because the manufacturers consider the profits
> inadequate. Extremely expensive (and less effective) patented treatments
> are being prescribed nowadays.

Such humanitarians out there.

--
Jean B.