Member

Default How can junk food be bad for a thin person trying to gain weight?

Hi,

Normally, "junk food" like foods from fast food restaurants or chips and sweets are known to be bad because they make you fat. Now, I also heard that this type of food is also bad for a thin person trying to gain weight. How is that? And what's the main difference between junk food and healthy food?

Regards
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"wingmark" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Normally, "junk food" like foods from fast food restaurants or chips and
> sweets are known to be bad because they make you fat. Now, I also heard
> that this type of food is also bad for a thin person trying to gain
> weight. How is that? And what's the main difference between junk food
> and healthy food?

One person's junk food is another's ethnic comfort food. There's a lot of
argument about this.
To me junk food is food which provides a lot of calories without much
nutritional value. Spongy, sweetish bread, french fries, desserts of most
kinds, compilations of fatty, underflavored things in sandwiches...
You don't want to eat much of this because it will make fat inside your
blood vessels and your organs as well as where you think you want it. If
you need to gain weight, you need to get bulkier in muscle and strong bones
as well as have some subcutaneous fat.
I'm not against the idea of earing junky stuff once in a while. It needs
not to be the mainstay of your diet. Weight that isn't fat is your friend.
Google Charles Atlas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 16, 4:10*am, wingmark >
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Normally, "junk food" like foods from fast food restaurants or chips and
> sweets are known to be bad because they make you fat. Now, I also heard
> that this type of food is also bad for a thin person trying to gain
> weight. How is that? And what's the main difference between junk food
> and healthy food?

Some people call any high-calorie, low-vitamin food junk food. "Bad"
junk food contains varieties of fats and other stuff that can mess up
one's insides if eaten regularly in large enough quantities.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 11:20:52 +0200, Giusi wrote:

> "wingmark" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>> Normally, "junk food" like foods from fast food restaurants or chips and
>> sweets are known to be bad because they make you fat. Now, I also heard
>> that this type of food is also bad for a thin person trying to gain
>> weight. How is that? And what's the main difference between junk food
>> and healthy food?

> One person's junk food is another's ethnic comfort food. There's a lot of
> argument about this.
> To me junk food is food which provides a lot of calories without much
> nutritional value.

bingo.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/07/2011 9:19 AM, Jerry Avins wrote:
> On Jul 16, 4:10 am, >
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Normally, "junk food" like foods from fast food restaurants or chips and
>> sweets are known to be bad because they make you fat. Now, I also heard
>> that this type of food is also bad for a thin person trying to gain
>> weight. How is that? And what's the main difference between junk food
>> and healthy food?

> Some people call any high-calorie, low-vitamin food junk food. "Bad"
> junk food contains varieties of fats and other stuff that can mess up
> one's insides if eaten regularly in large enough quantities.

It is the combination of the food being high in things that are
unhealthy and low in nutritional benefit. Junk food tends to be high in
empty calories like sugar and starch, and high in fat. In addition to
having high fat content, there is also the types of fats, especially
trans fats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jerry Avins" > wrote in message
> On Jul 16, 4:10 am, wingmark >
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Normally, "junk food" like foods from fast food restaurants or chips and
>> sweets are known to be bad because they make you fat. Now, I also heard
>> that this type of food is also bad for a thin person trying to gain
>> weight. How is that? And what's the main difference between junk food
>> and healthy food?

> Some people call any high-calorie, low-vitamin food junk food. "Bad"
> junk food contains varieties of fats and other stuff that can mess up
> one's insides if eaten regularly in large enough quantities.
>
> Jerry
> --

Another Foodbanter poster.

To the OP: Think about it. The complaints about fast food, "junk food"
isn't about gaining weight. It's about cardio-vascular health. You want to
clog your arteries in order to gain weight? Be my guest. Or you could
become educated about what foods you can eat, healthy foods, that also
promote weight gain. Proteins, carbohydrates. Dietary supplement drinks
such as Boost or Ensure. Not FAT FAT FAT. Consult a dietition if you have
problems gaining weight and have a medical need to gain weight.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 18, 7:55*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Jerry Avins" > wrote

> > Some people call any high-calorie, low-vitamin food junk food. "Bad"
> > junk food contains varieties of fats and other stuff that can mess up
> > one's insides if eaten regularly in large enough quantities.

> > Jerry
> > --

> Another Foodbanter poster.

Jill, please tell me about Foodbanter. What is it we do here?

> become educated about what foods you can eat, healthy foods, that also

Here we go with healthy foods again. I hope you mean healthful. I
prefer than my meat be dead, not healthy.

Jerry, who is a bit testy this morning.
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18/07/2011 11:01 AM, Jerry Avins wrote:

> Jill, please tell me about Foodbanter. What is it we do here?

Who knows what you do there, but it is what people with foodbanter
addressed posting here that makes them look like clueless twits.
Typically, they show up in small batches with different user names and
say " Hi. I am new to this forum", and then ask a dumb question. The OP
in this case is a good example.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/18/2011 10:01 AM, Jerry Avins wrote:

> Here we go with healthy foods again. I hope you mean healthful. I
> prefer than my meat be dead, not healthy.

LOL! I have to share that with a few people. Thanks, Jerry.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas