Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default How can I gain weight?

I've lost another five pounds in the last two months. I'm now down to 153,
BMI 21.0. I'd like to weigh 168, BMI 23.0. Is carb snacks the only way to
get there? Thanks.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> I've lost another five pounds in the last two months. I'm now down to
> 153, BMI 21.0. I'd like to weigh 168, BMI 23.0. Is carb snacks the
> only way to get there? Thanks.

More fat and protein. Your meals seem small to me, are they? How many meals
and snacks a day are you having?
Like the salad you just posted about. I'd lose a ton of weight with meals
like that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> I've lost another five pounds in the last two months. I'm now down to 153,
> BMI 21.0. I'd like to weigh 168, BMI 23.0. Is carb snacks the only way to
> get there? Thanks.

Perhaps you should see your Dr. and find out if you have a thyroid problem
or something. Otherwise, simply eat more calories. Doesn't have to be
carbs. Could be nuts, seeds, avocados, eggs, cheese, meat, or foods that
are higher in calories than carrots and celery.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Why do you want to gain wieght?..i know you had health issues where you
wanted to maintain a certain weight..but a male can be very healthy at 12
percant body fat.

If it was me i would be more concerned with lean muscle mass then fat.

If you really want to gain..why not increase caloric intake with protiens
and non spiking carbs and bring muscle building exercise into it?

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> I've lost another five pounds in the last two months. I'm now down to 153,
> BMI 21.0. I'd like to weigh 168, BMI 23.0. Is carb snacks the only way to
> get there? Thanks.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 23 Jul 2008 03:05:06 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>I've lost another five pounds in the last two months. I'm now down to 153,
>BMI 21.0. I'd like to weigh 168, BMI 23.0. Is carb snacks the only way to
>get there? Thanks.

BMI of 21 is OK... but you could try eating more often, and more
calories.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > I've lost another five pounds in the last two months. I'm now down to
> > 153, BMI 21.0. I'd like to weigh 168, BMI 23.0. Is carb snacks the
> > only way to get there? Thanks.

> More fat and protein. Your meals seem small to me, are they? How many
> meals and snacks a day are you having?
> Like the salad you just posted about. I'd lose a ton of weight with meals
> like that.

Hi, OzGirl. Thanks. Fatty lamb works for me! Gotta pick up a leg or
shoulder. I normally eat one meal a day, but my daughter has been bringing
me snacks, several hours before of after Jun makes my dinner. More sausage
and cheese omelettes in the ofing, too. Jun's been berating me. Says every
morning she wants to make me breakfast, but I say I'm not hungry.

The night befo 7/21/08 Before dinner BG 99. Had eggplant, clams, shrimp
and garlic in a 3-cheese marinara sauce.One hour PP BG 127. Two hour 145.
Three hour 120. Too much store-bought marinara, I guess. ;-(

Take care.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > I've lost another five pounds in the last two months. I'm now down to
> > 153, BMI 21.0. I'd like to weigh 168, BMI 23.0. Is carb snacks the only
> > way to get there? Thanks.

> Perhaps you should see your Dr. and find out if you have a thyroid
> problem or something. Otherwise, simply eat more calories. Doesn't have
> to be carbs. Could be nuts, seeds, avocados, eggs, cheese, meat, or
> foods that are higher in calories than carrots and celery.

Thanks, Julie. I like all of those, although I have Jun shell the seeds for
me. ;-)

How ya doin'? Saw yer post about the meter strips. Tough break. When I've
had strips fall on the floor, I just winnowed them and put them back in the
container. But then, I'm a slob. ;-(

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:
> Why do you want to gain wieght?..i know you had health issues where you
> wanted to maintain a certain weight..but a male can be very healthy at 12
> percant body fat.
>
> If it was me i would be more concerned with lean muscle mass then fat.
>
> If you really want to gain..why not increase caloric intake with
> protiens and non spiking carbs and bring muscle building exercise into
> it?

Thanks, Krom. Lean muscle mass it what I want. And you're right! I need to
exercise more. I'll have to get started. I wish there was a swimming pool
nearby.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On 23 Jul 2008 03:05:06 GMT, Nick Cramer >

> >I've lost another five pounds in the last two months. I'm now down to
> >153, BMI 21.0. I'd like to weigh 168, BMI 23.0. Is carb snacks the only
> >way to get there? Thanks.

> BMI of 21 is OK... but you could try eating more often, and more
> calories.

Working on it, Nicky. I'm gonna start exercising again, too. Gotta work my
way up. I used to enjoy working out. Now, I've turned into a keyboard and
couch potato. Gotta find my old routine for inspiration!

Take care.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 23 Jul 2008 10:04:13 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Working on it, Nicky. I'm gonna start exercising again, too. Gotta work my
>way up. I used to enjoy working out. Now, I've turned into a keyboard and
>couch potato. Gotta find my old routine for inspiration!

Start low, work up slow... a kata or two would be an interesting place
to start? Resistance training is what you need more than cardio, I
think?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On 23 Jul 2008 10:04:13 GMT, Nick Cramer >

> >Working on it, Nicky. I'm gonna start exercising again, too. Gotta work
> >my way up. I used to enjoy working out. Now, I've turned into a keyboard
> >and couch potato. Gotta find my old routine for inspiration!

> Start low, work up slow... a kata or two would be an interesting place
> to start? Resistance training is what you need more than cardio, I
> think?

Thanks, Nicky. Soloflex still sells their resistance 'weights', so I might
set the old horse up again. I haven't done Kata in almost 15 years. I don't
remember any of them. Krom woke me up. I'll email you what I'm working up
to for now.

Take care.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Well i dont like you sleeping next to me after...LOL...i kid i
kid...heh...so um..what i wake u up on?..lol

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote
Krom woke me up. I'll email you what I'm working up
> to for now.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

http://www.healthcalculators.org/cal.../waist_hip.asp

> The general rule is that men want to be below 1 and women below .8.

Thanks, Susan. I'll hafta see how I 'measure up'. ;-)

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:
> Well i dont like you sleeping next to me after...LOL...i kid i
> kid...heh...so um..what i wake u up on?..lol

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote
> Krom woke me up. I'll email you what I'm working up
> > to for now.

Hmmm. Perhaps I phrased that poorly. You woke me up on getting back into
exercising, old chum! Don't turn over. ;-D

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

During my year of gaining control over diabetes i was re learning how to
eat...had a run in with lisiniril causing a bad cough and lack of
oxygen...and a severe vite d defficency...so bad i could barely walk two
feet.

Needless to say it took a while to get back into working out..but i did what
i could and now that ive gotten thats stuff fixed i am back at it pretty
good and seeing the results..feels great!

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote >
> Hmmm. Perhaps I phrased that poorly. You woke me up on getting back into
> exercising, old chum! Don't turn over. ;-D

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Needless to say it took a while to get back into working out..but i did
> what i could and now that ive gotten thats stuff fixed i am back at it
> pretty good and seeing the results..feels great!

Hey, Krom & Nicky,

Started exercising today. Did six warmup routines and five arm exercises.
Couldn't do all ten reps on the last two arms, but got 7 or 8. Tomorrow,
waist and maybe abs, instead of arms. Next day, thighs. Then increasing the
muscle groups worked at each session. I'm shooting for brisk walks in the
next week or two and resistance training in the next month or two. Thanks
for the support, encouragement and push!

Take care.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 26 Jul 2008 05:59:39 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Started exercising today. Did six warmup routines and five arm exercises.
>Couldn't do all ten reps on the last two arms, but got 7 or 8. Tomorrow,
>waist and maybe abs, instead of arms. Next day, thighs. Then increasing the
>muscle groups worked at each session. I'm shooting for brisk walks in the
>next week or two and resistance training in the next month or two.

Nick, you wouldn't be the type to push yourself too hard, would you?
:P Do be careful. And GOOD FOR YOU!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> On 26 Jul 2008 05:59:39 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> wrote:
>
>> Started exercising today. Did six warmup routines and five arm exercises.
>> Couldn't do all ten reps on the last two arms, but got 7 or 8. Tomorrow,
>> waist and maybe abs, instead of arms. Next day, thighs. Then increasing the
>> muscle groups worked at each session. I'm shooting for brisk walks in the
>> next week or two and resistance training in the next month or two.

> Nick, you wouldn't be the type to push yourself too hard, would you?
> :P Do be careful. And GOOD FOR YOU!
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

agreed, Nicky

start at 10 to 15 min a DAY.............. increase that in 5 min steps
every week until you are up to 1/2 hour of walking, then start working
on your pace............. walk faster, and after a couple of weeks of
that, start increasing your duration again

it takes time to build up the distance/speed/stamina

no one wants to be like Tom who over indulged in his exercise, hurt his
back and was close to what? a year before he could exercise again
(hmmmmmmmmm he never did say if he way able to exercise again, did he?)

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 02:16:15 -0600, Tiger_Lily
> wrote:

>start at 10 to 15 min a DAY.............. increase that in 5 min steps
>every week until you are up to 1/2 hour of walking, then start working
>on your pace............. walk faster, and after a couple of weeks of
>that, start increasing your duration again
>
>it takes time to build up the distance/speed/stamina
>
>no one wants to be like Tom who over indulged in his exercise, hurt his
>back and was close to what? a year before he could exercise again
>(hmmmmmmmmm he never did say if he way able to exercise again, did he?)

He did, on the ADA forum. He hasn't posted for a little
while; I almost miss him.

I did say "almost":-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Blog http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
DLife column http://tinyurl.com/5v74xr
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (The Taj Mahal)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nice..only change id recomend is a very light full body workout three days a
week untill your stronger then do a split routine..but either way im glad
for ya!
Just dont over do..i know how tempting it is trust me..lol.

I use very light light wieghts compared to pre dx..and am slooooly building
up.

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "krom" > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> Needless to say it took a while to get back into working out..but i did
>> what i could and now that ive gotten thats stuff fixed i am back at it
>> pretty good and seeing the results..feels great!

> Hey, Krom & Nicky,
>
> Started exercising today. Did six warmup routines and five arm exercises.
> Couldn't do all ten reps on the last two arms, but got 7 or 8. Tomorrow,
> waist and maybe abs, instead of arms. Next day, thighs. Then increasing
> the
> muscle groups worked at each session. I'm shooting for brisk walks in the
> next week or two and resistance training in the next month or two. Thanks
> for the support, encouragement and push!
>
> Take care.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On 26 Jul 2008 05:59:39 GMT, Nick Cramer >

> >Started exercising today. Did six warmup routines and five arm
> >exercises. Couldn't do all ten reps on the last two arms, but got 7 or
> >8. Tomorrow, waist and maybe abs, instead of arms. Next day, thighs.
> >Then increasing the muscle groups worked at each session. I'm shooting
> >for brisk walks in the next week or two and resistance training in the
> >next month or two.

> Nick, you wouldn't be the type to push yourself too hard, would you?
> :P Do be careful. And GOOD FOR YOU!

Thanks, Nicky. I owe a lot of it to you and Krom.

No, I'm not into 'no pain, no gain'. I do push for the rep I can't complete
and then I end that set or station for that session. I'm trying to figure
out where to set up the Soloflex! Gotta find my old routine book. Goals, ya
know! ;-))

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger_Lily > wrote:
> Nicky wrote:
> > On 26 Jul 2008 05:59:39 GMT, Nick Cramer >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Started exercising today. Did six warmup routines and five arm
> >> exercises. Couldn't do all ten reps on the last two arms, but got 7 or
> >> 8. Tomorrow, waist and maybe abs, instead of arms. Next day, thighs.
> >> Then increasing the muscle groups worked at each session. I'm shooting
> >> for brisk walks in the next week or two and resistance training in the
> >> next month or two.

> > Nick, you wouldn't be the type to push yourself too hard, would you?
> > :P Do be careful. And GOOD FOR YOU!

> agreed, Nicky
>
> start at 10 to 15 min a DAY.............. increase that in 5 min steps
> every week until you are up to 1/2 hour of walking, then start working
> on your pace............. walk faster, and after a couple of weeks of
> that, start increasing your duration again
>
> it takes time to build up the distance/speed/stamina

Thanks, Kate. Right now, I can't do five minutes of slow walking, but I'm
working on it! I've gotta remember that as far as I walk, I've gotta walk
that far back. Can't sit on the stoop to rest. ;-D

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:
> Nice..only change id recomend is a very light full body workout three
> days a week untill your stronger then do a split routine..but either way
> im glad for ya!
> Just dont over do..i know how tempting it is trust me..lol.
>
> I use very light light wieghts compared to pre dx..and am slooooly
> building up.

Thanks, Krom. This was only my first day and my body started yelling at me.
I'm going for five days a week and it'll be light for a while as I work my
way up to full body sessions. Me? Overdo it? Surely you jest! ;-D

I see that Soloflex has weight straps as low as 2.5 lbs. Baby steps before
giant steps is OK by me. Gotta find my old routine book! Goals, ya know.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I'm jelous!..i want a soloflex!..lol

My two pieces of dream gym equipment is a gym quality eliptical..(4-7
thousand) and a pro hack/squat machine (2-4k) the squat rack has to be
bolted into a 3 foot thick concrete slab..but you can load that sucker up
and squat till u hurl..lol

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote > I'm trying to figure
> out where to set up the Soloflex! Gotta find my old routine book. Goals,
> ya
> know! ;-))

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I recomened a light full body workout with resistance 3 days a week to start
with 2 cardio because if you simply start with a split routine the chances
of injury are higher because your concentrating the work on one area a
time..rather then getting your entire body used to working out again..you
likely to do more then u should for a single part then full body because
your mindset full body different then say "blasting your biceps".

To ensure i behave i am leaving my free weights alone and using resistance
bands..they are great keep me in check..lol

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote
> Thanks, Krom. This was only my first day and my body started yelling at
> me.
> I'm going for five days a week and it'll be light for a while as I work my
> way up to full body sessions. Me? Overdo it? Surely you jest! ;-D
>
> I see that Soloflex has weight straps as low as 2.5 lbs. Baby steps before
> giant steps is OK by me. Gotta find my old routine book! Goals, ya know.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "krom" > wrote:
>> Nice..only change id recomend is a very light full body workout three
>> days a week untill your stronger then do a split routine..but either way
>> im glad for ya!
>> Just dont over do..i know how tempting it is trust me..lol.
>>
>> I use very light light wieghts compared to pre dx..and am slooooly
>> building up.

> Thanks, Krom. This was only my first day and my body started yelling at me.
> I'm going for five days a week and it'll be light for a while as I work my
> way up to full body sessions. Me? Overdo it? Surely you jest! ;-D
>
> I see that Soloflex has weight straps as low as 2.5 lbs. Baby steps before
> giant steps is OK by me. Gotta find my old routine book! Goals, ya know.

nah, buy the 5 lb weight straps

2.5 lbs is NOTHING and mostly a waste of money

somewhere i have a collection of 5 lb and 10 lb weight straps that i
used to use when walking......... i wonder where they have got to
sigh

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
www.diabetic-chat.org
www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Tiger_Lily > wrote:
>> Nicky wrote:

>>> Nick, you wouldn't be the type to push yourself too hard, would you?
>>> :P Do be careful. And GOOD FOR YOU!

>> agreed, Nicky
>>
>> start at 10 to 15 min a DAY.............. increase that in 5 min steps
>> every week until you are up to 1/2 hour of walking, then start working
>> on your pace............. walk faster, and after a couple of weeks of
>> that, start increasing your duration again
>>
>> it takes time to build up the distance/speed/stamina

> Thanks, Kate. Right now, I can't do five minutes of slow walking, but I'm
> working on it! I've gotta remember that as far as I walk, I've gotta walk
> that far back. Can't sit on the stoop to rest. ;-D

Nick, i picked up a small tripod stool at Costco for cheap

the tripod has a strap built into it for ease of carrying it

why not walk for 3 min away from home, then 3 min back to home? to start
out with then?

slow, and sure........... you'll get there

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
www.diabetic-chat.org
www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:
> I'm jelous!..i want a soloflex!..lol

This things gotta be over 30 years old. The new weight set cost more than I
paid for it!

> My two pieces of dream gym equipment is a gym quality eliptical..(4-7
> thousand) and a pro hack/squat machine (2-4k) the squat rack has to be
> bolted into a 3 foot thick concrete slab..but you can load that sucker up
> and squat till u hurl..lol

I'll save 8k and stick with what I've got. ;-)

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:
> I recomened a light full body workout with resistance 3 days a week to
> start with 2 cardio because if you simply start with a split routine the
> chances of injury are higher because your concentrating the work on one
> area a time..rather then getting your entire body used to working out
> again..you likely to do more then u should for a single part then full
> body because your mindset full body different then say "blasting your
> biceps".
>
> To ensure i behave i am leaving my free weights alone and using
> resistance bands..they are great keep me in check..lol

Thanks, Krom. The free weights will stay in the garage for a while. It'll
be another month or two before I start using the resistance bands. For now,
I'm just getting my body used to moving again. ;-)

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger_Lily > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Tiger_Lily > wrote:

> >> start at 10 to 15 min a DAY.............. increase that in 5 min steps
> >> every week until you are up to 1/2 hour of walking, then start working
> >> on your pace............. walk faster, and after a couple of weeks of
> >> that, start increasing your duration again
> >>
> >> it takes time to build up the distance/speed/stamina

> > Thanks, Kate. Right now, I can't do five minutes of slow walking, but
> > I'm working on it! I've gotta remember that as far as I walk, I've
> > gotta walk that far back. Can't sit on the stoop to rest. ;-D

> Nick, i picked up a small tripod stool at Costco for cheap
>
> the tripod has a strap built into it for ease of carrying it
>
> why not walk for 3 min away from home, then 3 min back to home? to start
> out with then?
>
> slow, and sure........... you'll get there

Thanks, Kate. Jun has one of those, which I could use. There are a bunch of
7 to 10 year old boys in the neighborhood, who treat me like something
between one of them and an honored old man. I would disappoint them if I
sat down in the middle of a walk. I don't care what the adults think.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Good man!
You will feel it as much as if you were using wights..lol..bu its a good
hurt..hehe

KROM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote
> Thanks, Krom. The free weights will stay in the garage for a while. It'll
> be another month or two before I start using the resistance bands. For
> now,
> I'm just getting my body used to moving again. ;-)
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:

> Thanks, Kate. Jun has one of those, which I could use. There are a bunch of
> 7 to 10 year old boys in the neighborhood, who treat me like something
> between one of them and an honored old man. I would disappoint them if I
> sat down in the middle of a walk. I don't care what the adults think.

lol
don't worry about the kids ! ! !

if you need to sit, you need to sit

having said that, i'm stubborn too, and i have been known to sit on
short fences on the route i walk

so far, no one has told me to get off their fence (whew)

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
www.diabetic-chat.org
www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger_Lily > wrote:
: Nick Cramer wrote:

: > Thanks, Kate. Jun has one of those, which I could use. There are a bunch of
: > 7 to 10 year old boys in the neighborhood, who treat me like something
: > between one of them and an honored old man. I would disappoint them if I
: > sat down in the middle of a walk. I don't care what the adults think.
: >

: lol
: don't worry about the kids ! ! !

: if you need to sit, you need to sit

: having said that, i'm stubborn too, and i have been known to sit on
: short fences on the route i walk

: so far, no one has told me to get off their fence (whew)

: --
: kate
: type 1 since 1987
: www.diabetic-chat.org
: www.diabetic-talk.org
: http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html

I know every standpipe in my NYC neighborhood adn sit on them frequently.
My sciatica doesn't let me go long distances. I used to be like both the
tortoise and the hare, being very slow and stopping often. Now, with my
new large grocery cart I am only like the hare, as pushing that thing
angles me just right so I can kid of race down the streeet. I stil have to
stop often.

I really think tht those standpipes should be called sitpipes, s that is
wha tthey are good for unless there is a fire adn then need the water:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Tiger_Lily > wrote:
> : Nick Cramer wrote:
>
> : > Thanks, Kate. Jun has one of those, which I could use. There are a bunch
> : > of
> : > 7 to 10 year old boys in the neighborhood, who treat me like something
> : > between one of them and an honored old man. I would disappoint them if I
> : > sat down in the middle of a walk. I don't care what the adults think.
> : >
>
> : lol
> : don't worry about the kids ! ! !
>
> : if you need to sit, you need to sit
>
> : having said that, i'm stubborn too, and i have been known to sit on
> : short fences on the route i walk
>
> : so far, no one has told me to get off their fence (whew)
>
> : --
> : kate
> : type 1 since 1987
> : www.diabetic-chat.org
> : www.diabetic-talk.org
> : http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html
>
> I know every standpipe in my NYC neighborhood adn sit on them frequently.
> My sciatica doesn't let me go long distances. I used to be like both the
> tortoise and the hare, being very slow and stopping often. Now, with my
> new large grocery cart I am only like the hare, as pushing that thing
> angles me just right so I can kid of race down the streeet. I stil have to
> stop often.
>
> I really think tht those standpipes should be called sitpipes, s that is
> wha tthey are good for unless there is a fire adn then need the water:-)
>
> Wendy

I think there is a very specific kind of pleasure to be found in
stopping to sit on a fence or standpipe or low wall 2/3 to 3/4 of the
way through a walk. "Look what I've done!" "I have very little to go!"
"That breeze is lovely!" "I've done better than I thought I would!"

PP, T2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> In article >,
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
>> Tiger_Lily > wrote:
>> : Nick Cramer wrote:
>>
>> : > Thanks, Kate. Jun has one of those, which I could use. There are a bunch
>> : > of
>> : > 7 to 10 year old boys in the neighborhood, who treat me like something
>> : > between one of them and an honored old man. I would disappoint them if I
>> : > sat down in the middle of a walk. I don't care what the adults think.
>> : >
>>
>> : lol
>> : don't worry about the kids ! ! !
>>
>> : if you need to sit, you need to sit
>>
>> : having said that, i'm stubborn too, and i have been known to sit on
>> : short fences on the route i walk
>>
>> : so far, no one has told me to get off their fence (whew)
>>
>> : --
>> : kate
>> : type 1 since 1987
>> : www.diabetic-chat.org
>> : www.diabetic-talk.org
>> : http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html
>>
>> I know every standpipe in my NYC neighborhood adn sit on them frequently.
>> My sciatica doesn't let me go long distances. I used to be like both the
>> tortoise and the hare, being very slow and stopping often. Now, with my
>> new large grocery cart I am only like the hare, as pushing that thing
>> angles me just right so I can kid of race down the streeet. I stil have to
>> stop often.
>>
>> I really think tht those standpipes should be called sitpipes, s that is
>> wha tthey are good for unless there is a fire adn then need the water:-)
>>
>> Wendy

> I think there is a very specific kind of pleasure to be found in
> stopping to sit on a fence or standpipe or low wall 2/3 to 3/4 of the
> way through a walk. "Look what I've done!" "I have very little to go!"
> "That breeze is lovely!" "I've done better than I thought I would!"
>
> PP, T2

i preferred walking on the escarpment over the river valley that
downtown is built on

they had a dedicated 'walk/bike path' and they had benches along the
pathway.......... about every 200 yards

it's gotta be nice to have a sit down

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
www.diabetic-chat.org
www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:
> Good man!
> You will feel it as much as if you were using wights..lol..bu its a good
> hurt..hehe

Quite true, Krom. I've had to lay off a couple of days. I'm amazed at how
much my arms and legs ache from doing next to nothing!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger_Lily > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Kate. Jun has one of those, which I could use. There are a
> > bunch of 7 to 10 year old boys in the neighborhood, who treat me like
> > something between one of them and an honored old man. I would
> > disappoint them if I sat down in the middle of a walk. I don't care
> > what the adults think.

> lol
> don't worry about the kids ! ! !
>
> if you need to sit, you need to sit

Thanks, Kate, but I can't let the kids down! ;-)

> having said that, i'm stubborn too, and i have been known to sit on
> short fences on the route i walk
>
> so far, no one has told me to get off their fence (whew)

Don't sit on picket fences! ;-D