Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Default Revisiting MSG and Weight Gain

I just caught this article on Yahoo ...

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/weig...g-weight-gain/

While much of the info is nothing new (and I think a lot of the weight
gain is because people eat more since MSG excites nerves related to
taste) there was one paragraph toward the end that I didn't know:

"Limit making stews or soups in a crock pot, since slow-cooking tends to
cause small amounts of glutamic acid to be released from the protein
sources (e.g., meat, chicken) in the recipe."

Hmmmm. Who wouldathunk?

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:
> I just caught this article on Yahoo ...
>
> http://health.yahoo.com/experts/weig...g-weight-gain/
>

> While much of the info is nothing new (and I think a lot of the weight
> gain is because people eat more since MSG excites nerves related to
> taste) there was one paragraph toward the end that I didn't know:
>
> "Limit making stews or soups in a crock pot, since slow-cooking tends to
> cause small amounts of glutamic acid to be released from the protein
> sources (e.g., meat, chicken) in the recipe."
>
> Hmmmm. Who wouldathunk?

MSG just can't get no respect. Now it's being blamed for making food
taste too good. The reality is that if your food tastes great - you can
blame it all on the cook. All the MSG in China ain't gonna help a poor
cook. Dumb article. Really dumb.

> --Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 30, 2:31*pm, Lin > wrote:
> I just caught this article on Yahoo ...
>
> http://health.yahoo.com/experts/weig...prising-ingred...
>
> While much of the info is nothing new (and I think a lot of the weight
> gain is because people eat more since MSG excites nerves related to
> taste) there was one paragraph toward the end that I didn't know:
>
> "Limit making stews or soups in a crock pot, since slow-cooking tends to
> cause small amounts of glutamic acid to be released from the protein
> sources (e.g., meat, chicken) in the recipe."
>
> Hmmmm. Who wouldathunk?

Bullshit.

You know what makes all of this fatass epidemic real simple to figure
out? Put down the ****ing fork and push away from the goddamned table
once in a ****ing while, lardass! Stop shoveling food in your gaping
maw 24/7 and watch those pounds just fly off! Move your fat bottom
instead of sitting around all the time! Wow!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:19:18 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
> wrote:

>On Jul 30, 2:31*pm, Lin > wrote:
>> I just caught this article on Yahoo ...
>>
>> http://health.yahoo.com/experts/weig...prising-ingred...
>>
>> While much of the info is nothing new (and I think a lot of the weight
>> gain is because people eat more since MSG excites nerves related to
>> taste) there was one paragraph toward the end that I didn't know:
>>
>> "Limit making stews or soups in a crock pot, since slow-cooking tends to
>> cause small amounts of glutamic acid to be released from the protein
>> sources (e.g., meat, chicken) in the recipe."
>>
>> Hmmmm. Who wouldathunk?

>Bullshit.
>
>You know what makes all of this fatass epidemic real simple to figure
>out? Put down the ****ing fork and push away from the goddamned table
>once in a ****ing while, lardass! Stop shoveling food in your gaping
>maw 24/7 and watch those pounds just fly off! Move your fat bottom
>instead of sitting around all the time! Wow!

I wonder if you'd be singing the same old tired song if the shoe was on the
other foot. I know people who have glandular problems which precludes them from
loosing weight, they don't want to live their lives like that, but people like
you always want to tell them the way to live their lives is your way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 30, 6:13*pm, Bubba > wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:19:18 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
>

> > wrote:
> >On Jul 30, 2:31*pm, Lin > wrote:
> >> I just caught this article on Yahoo ...

> >>http://health.yahoo.com/experts/weig...prising-ingred....

> >> While much of the info is nothing new (and I think a lot of the weight
> >> gain is because people eat more since MSG excites nerves related to
> >> taste) there was one paragraph toward the end that I didn't know:

> >> "Limit making stews or soups in a crock pot, since slow-cooking tends to
> >> cause small amounts of glutamic acid to be released from the protein
> >> sources (e.g., meat, chicken) in the recipe."

> >> Hmmmm. Who wouldathunk?

> >Bullshit.

> >You know what makes all of this fatass epidemic real simple to figure
> >out? *Put down the ****ing fork and push away from the goddamned table
> >once in a ****ing while, lardass! *Stop shoveling food in your gaping
> >maw 24/7 and watch those pounds just fly off! *Move your fat bottom
> >instead of sitting around all the time! *Wow!

> I wonder if you'd be singing the same old tired song if the shoe was on the
> other foot. I know people who have glandular problems which precludes them from
> loosing weight, they don't want to live their lives like that, but people like
> you always want to tell them the way to live their lives is your way.

Oh yes I knew someone would trot out the old "glandular problems"
saw. *yawn* My previous statements still stand, if people want to
not be fat then STOP EATING SO ****ING MUCH.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

projectile vomit chick said...

> Oh yes I knew someone would trot out the old "glandular problems"
> saw. *yawn* My previous statements still stand, if people want to
> not be fat then STOP EATING SO ****ING MUCH.

Herein lies the problem. If you eat too much you'll die. If you don't eat
enough you'll die. Lots of folks just can't strike a happy medium, erring on
the side of eating too much.

MSG... my uncle worked with MSG at a food company back when MSG got a bad
name. His department's job was to break it down to the catalysts and enzymes
and list those so they wouldn't have to list MSG in the ingredients lists of
their products.

He died of a heart attack. He was 36 years old. The company went through
great legal expense to prove it wasn't their fault. We knew better. They won.
The BUMS!!!!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> MSG... my uncle worked with MSG at a food company back when MSG got a bad
> name. His department's job was to break it down to the catalysts and enzymes
> and list those so they wouldn't have to list MSG in the ingredients lists of
> their products.
>
> He died of a heart attack. He was 36 years old. The company went through
> great legal expense to prove it wasn't their fault. We knew better. They won.
> The BUMS!!!!!!
>
> Andy

And did the autopsy show drugs or anything in his system?
Young people who die early of heart attacks have been known to have
cocaine or other stimulants in their system.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>
>> MSG... my uncle worked with MSG at a food company back when MSG got a
>> bad name. His department's job was to break it down to the catalysts
>> and enzymes and list those so they wouldn't have to list MSG in the
>> ingredients lists of their products.
>>
>> He died of a heart attack. He was 36 years old. The company went
>> through great legal expense to prove it wasn't their fault. We knew
>> better. They won. The BUMS!!!!!!
>>
>> Andy

> And did the autopsy show drugs or anything in his system?
> Young people who die early of heart attacks have been known to have
> cocaine or other stimulants in their system.

Or simply because of the genetic roll of the dice when he was conceived
produced some congenital defect. A friend's friend 26 year old son died
of a heart attack in his sleep just a few months ago. I know the
pathologist who did the autopsy and she is quite competent and thorough.
No drugs were involved. He had a congenital defect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> MSG... my uncle worked with MSG at a food company back when MSG got a bad
> name. His department's job was to break it down to the catalysts and enzymes
> and list those so they wouldn't have to list MSG in the ingredients lists of
> their products.

Baloney. There's plenty of disguised names for MSG
as ingredients that are MSG-rich, such as hydrolyzed
vegetable protein, sodium caseinate, beef flavor,
natural flavor, etc. None of these are a catalyst
nor an enzyme. As usual, you don't know what you're
talking about.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>> Andy wrote:
>>
>>> MSG... my uncle worked with MSG at a food company back when MSG got a
>>> bad name. His department's job was to break it down to the catalysts
>>> and enzymes and list those so they wouldn't have to list MSG in the
>>> ingredients lists of their products.
>>>
>>> He died of a heart attack. He was 36 years old. The company went
>>> through great legal expense to prove it wasn't their fault. We knew
>>> better. They won. The BUMS!!!!!!
>>>
>>> Andy

>> And did the autopsy show drugs or anything in his system?
>> Young people who die early of heart attacks have been known to have
>> cocaine or other stimulants in their system.

> Or simply because of the genetic roll of the dice when he was conceived
> produced some congenital defect. A friend's friend 26 year old son died
> of a heart attack in his sleep just a few months ago. I know the
> pathologist who did the autopsy and she is quite competent and thorough.
> No drugs were involved. He had a congenital defect.

Right.. two examples of valid reasons a young man would have an MI and
they have *nothing* to do with MSG.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson said...

> Andy wrote:
>>
>> MSG... my uncle worked with MSG at a food company back when MSG got a
>> bad name. His department's job was to break it down to the catalysts
>> and enzymes and list those so they wouldn't have to list MSG in the
>> ingredients lists of their products.

> Baloney. There's plenty of disguised names for MSG
> as ingredients that are MSG-rich, such as hydrolyzed
> vegetable protein, sodium caseinate, beef flavor,
> natural flavor, etc. None of these are a catalyst
> nor an enzyme. As usual, you don't know what you're
> talking about.

What happened happened. Maybe I didn't explain it exactly right.

You're penchant for wanting to be an asshole is stunning.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George said...

> Goomba wrote:
>> Andy wrote:
>>
>>> MSG... my uncle worked with MSG at a food company back when MSG got a
>>> bad name. His department's job was to break it down to the catalysts
>>> and enzymes and list those so they wouldn't have to list MSG in the
>>> ingredients lists of their products.
>>>
>>> He died of a heart attack. He was 36 years old. The company went
>>> through great legal expense to prove it wasn't their fault. We knew
>>> better. They won. The BUMS!!!!!!
>>>
>>> Andy

>> And did the autopsy show drugs or anything in his system?
>> Young people who die early of heart attacks have been known to have
>> cocaine or other stimulants in their system.

> Or simply because of the genetic roll of the dice when he was conceived
> produced some congenital defect. A friend's friend 26 year old son died
> of a heart attack in his sleep just a few months ago. I know the
> pathologist who did the autopsy and she is quite competent and thorough.
> No drugs were involved. He had a congenital defect.

So, obviously there's no possible chance that years of exposure to MSG had
ANYTHING AT ALL to do with it???

Arguing for argument's sake is not considered good form.

Some people!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson said...

> Andy wrote:
>>
>> Mark Thorson said...

>> > Baloney. There's plenty of disguised names for MSG
>> > as ingredients that are MSG-rich, such as hydrolyzed
>> > vegetable protein, sodium caseinate, beef flavor,
>> > natural flavor, etc. None of these are a catalyst
>> > nor an enzyme. As usual, you don't know what you're
>> > talking about.

>> What happened happened. Maybe I didn't explain it exactly right.

> You were wrong. You did not know understand what
> you were talking about.
>
>> You're penchant for wanting to be an asshole is stunning.

> Attacking the critic rather than the criticism is
> the hallmark of a fool. You are a fool.

Shouldn't you be ebay hunting down some obscure object to impress us?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Mark Thorson said...
>
> > Andy wrote:
> >>
> >> MSG... my uncle worked with MSG at a food company back when MSG got a
> >> bad name. His department's job was to break it down to the catalysts
> >> and enzymes and list those so they wouldn't have to list MSG in the
> >> ingredients lists of their products.

> > Baloney. There's plenty of disguised names for MSG
> > as ingredients that are MSG-rich, such as hydrolyzed
> > vegetable protein, sodium caseinate, beef flavor,
> > natural flavor, etc. None of these are a catalyst
> > nor an enzyme. As usual, you don't know what you're
> > talking about.

> What happened happened. Maybe I didn't explain it exactly right.

You were wrong. You did not know understand what
you were talking about.

> You're penchant for wanting to be an asshole is stunning.

Attacking the critic rather than the criticism is
the hallmark of a fool. You are a fool.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson said...

> Andy wrote:
>>
>> Mark Thorson said...

>> > You were wrong. You did not know understand what
>> > you were talking about.

>> > Attacking the critic rather than the criticism is
>> > the hallmark of a fool. You are a fool.

>> Shouldn't you be ebay hunting down some obscure object to impress us?

> You're staying in fool mode, but I suppose that's
> inevitable, like a dog staying in dog mode.

Mark, you're so full of yourself!

I'd be embarrassed to be you!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Mark Thorson said...
>
> > Andy wrote:
> >>
> >> Mark Thorson said...

> >> What happened happened. Maybe I didn't explain it exactly right.

> > You were wrong. You did not know understand what
> > you were talking about.
> >
> >> You're penchant for wanting to be an asshole is stunning.

> > Attacking the critic rather than the criticism is
> > the hallmark of a fool. You are a fool.

> Shouldn't you be ebay hunting down some obscure object to impress us?

You're staying in fool mode, but I suppose that's
inevitable, like a dog staying in dog mode.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 19:20:47 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>projectile vomit chick said...
>
>> Oh yes I knew someone would trot out the old "glandular problems"
>> saw. *yawn* My previous statements still stand, if people want to
>> not be fat then STOP EATING SO ****ING MUCH.

>MSG... my uncle worked with MSG at a food company back when MSG got a bad
>name. His department's job was to break it down to the catalysts and enzymes
>and list those so they wouldn't have to list MSG in the ingredients lists of
>their products.
>
>He died of a heart attack. He was 36 years old. The company went through
>great legal expense to prove it wasn't their fault. We knew better. They won.
>The BUMS!!!!!!

Do you refer to the infamous GRAS list? (Generally recognized as
safe....FDA)

Monosodium glutamate (glutamic acid sodium salt) is pretty simple
as molecules go. It contains no catalysts nor enzymes. Sort of like
salt and corn syrup. It's at the level of amino acids.

Does it hurt people? Yes, some, of whom I am one. MY heart,
already compromised, goes berzerk when I eat MSG. My reaction
is kinda like a diabetic shock or maybe post prandial dopiness.

Really fun driving after a CHinese meal doped with MSG.....

ALex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker said...

> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 19:20:47 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>
>>projectile vomit chick said...
>>
>>> Oh yes I knew someone would trot out the old "glandular problems"
>>> saw. *yawn* My previous statements still stand, if people want to
>>> not be fat then STOP EATING SO ****ING MUCH.

>>MSG... my uncle worked with MSG at a food company back when MSG got a
>>bad name. His department's job was to break it down to the catalysts and
>>enzymes and list those so they wouldn't have to list MSG in the
>>ingredients lists of their products.
>>
>>He died of a heart attack. He was 36 years old. The company went through
>>great legal expense to prove it wasn't their fault. We knew better. They
>>won. The BUMS!!!!!!

> Do you refer to the infamous GRAS list? (Generally recognized as
> safe....FDA)

Yes I did, as a reference for my senior high school project. I forget the
book I used... "Eat This!" ??

That was a long time ago.

I ****ed off the kitchen staff!!! They complained to the principal about my
tent cards at the tables. The principal was on my side but made me
apologize. I did with some regret. I did make a point.

> Monosodium glutamate (glutamic acid sodium salt) is pretty simple
> as molecules go. It contains no catalysts nor enzymes. Sort of like
> salt and corn syrup. It's at the level of amino acids.
>
> Does it hurt people? Yes, some, of whom I am one. MY heart,
> already compromised, goes berzerk when I eat MSG. My reaction
> is kinda like a diabetic shock or maybe post prandial dopiness.
>
> Really fun driving after a CHinese meal doped with MSG.....
>
> ALex

I'm familiar. I think it was termed "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome." After ~
20 minutes the flush at the back of the neck, etc. Some people are very
susceptible to the effect, others not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> George said...
>
>> Goomba wrote:

>>> And did the autopsy show drugs or anything in his system?
>>> Young people who die early of heart attacks have been known to have
>>> cocaine or other stimulants in their system.

>> Or simply because of the genetic roll of the dice when he was conceived
>> produced some congenital defect. A friend's friend 26 year old son died
>> of a heart attack in his sleep just a few months ago. I know the
>> pathologist who did the autopsy and she is quite competent and thorough.
>> No drugs were involved. He had a congenital defect.

> So, obviously there's no possible chance that years of exposure to MSG had
> ANYTHING AT ALL to do with it???
>
> Arguing for argument's sake is not considered good form.
>
> Some people!!!
>
> Andy

No, you haven't presented any sort of an argument except "we think so".
If one wants their claims to have weight they include collaborating
evidence.

Could he have died as a result of his research? sure, could he have had
a congenital defect? sure . Lots of possibilities and no apparent
evidence to make any sort of claim.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 30, 7:20*pm, Andy > wrote:
> projectile vomit chick said...
>
> > Oh yes I knew someone would trot out the old "glandular problems"
> > saw. **yawn* *My previous statements still stand, if people want to
> > not be fat then STOP EATING SO ****ING MUCH.

> Herein lies the problem. If you eat too much you'll die. If you don't eat
> enough you'll die. Lots of folks just can't strike a happy medium, erring on
> the side of eating too much.
>
> MSG... my uncle worked with MSG at a food company back when MSG got a bad
> name. His department's job was to break it down to the catalysts and enzymes
> and list those so they wouldn't have to list MSG in the ingredients lists of
> their products.
>
> He died of a heart attack. He was 36 years old. The company went through
> great legal expense to prove it wasn't their fault. We knew better. They won.
> The BUMS!!!!!!
>
> Andy

How was it the company's fault? Did they force him to ingest mega
amount of MSG at every opportunity?

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 30, 7:51*pm, George > wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
> > Andy wrote:

> >> MSG... my uncle worked with MSG at a food company back when MSG got a
> >> bad name. His department's job was to break it down to the catalysts
> >> and enzymes and list those so they wouldn't have to list MSG in the
> >> ingredients lists of their products.

> >> He died of a heart attack. He was 36 years old. The company went
> >> through great legal expense to prove it wasn't their fault. We knew
> >> better. They won. The BUMS!!!!!!

> >> Andy

> > And did the autopsy show drugs or anything in his system?
> > Young people who die early of heart attacks have been known to have
> > cocaine or other stimulants in their system.

> Or simply because of the genetic roll of the dice when he was conceived
> produced some congenital defect. A friend's friend 26 year old son died
> of a heart attack in his sleep just a few months ago. I know the
> pathologist who did the autopsy and she is quite competent and thorough.
> No drugs were involved. He had a congenital defect.- Hide quoted text -

....like Sergei, the pairs ice skating champion - how old was he, 28?

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 30, 6:19*pm, projectile vomit chick
> wrote:
> On Jul 30, 2:31*pm, Lin > wrote:
>
> > I just caught this article on Yahoo ...

> >http://health.yahoo.com/experts/weig...prising-ingred...

> > While much of the info is nothing new (and I think a lot of the weight
> > gain is because people eat more since MSG excites nerves related to
> > taste) there was one paragraph toward the end that I didn't know:

> > "Limit making stews or soups in a crock pot, since slow-cooking tends to
> > cause small amounts of glutamic acid to be released from the protein
> > sources (e.g., meat, chicken) in the recipe."

> > Hmmmm. Who wouldathunk?

> Bullshit.
>
> You know what makes all of this fatass epidemic real simple to figure
> out? *Put down the ****ing fork and push away from the goddamned table
> once in a ****ing while, lardass! *Stop shoveling food in your gaping
> maw 24/7 and watch those pounds just fly off! *Move your fat bottom
> instead of sitting around all the time! *Wow!

And some of us have had auto accidents that severely limit our ability
to exercise due to pain or other injuries. And then there are
prescription meds that we cannot go off that cause weight gain. 20
years ago I had the auto accident that changed my life and put me in
constant pain. Drs say there is no fix. What say you to that?? You
never know looking at someone who is overweight what may have caused
their weight gain. My nickname was skinnybones as a kid and teen and
young mother. And do ya think I wouldn't change this if I could??
Sometimes ya gotta be clairvoyant to see the whole story.
Nan in DE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 19:20:47 -0500, Andy wrote:

> projectile vomit chick said...
>
>> Oh yes I knew someone would trot out the old "glandular problems"
>> saw. *yawn* My previous statements still stand, if people want to
>> not be fat then STOP EATING SO ****ING MUCH.

> Herein lies the problem. If you eat too much you'll die. If you don't eat
> enough you'll die. Lots of folks just can't strike a happy medium, erring on
> the side of eating too much.
>
> MSG... my uncle worked with MSG at a food company back when MSG got a bad
> name. His department's job was to break it down to the catalysts and enzymes
> and list those so they wouldn't have to list MSG in the ingredients lists of
> their products.
>
> He died of a heart attack. He was 36 years old. The company went through
> great legal expense to prove it wasn't their fault. We knew better. They won.
> The BUMS!!!!!!
>
> Andy

no doubt the judge and jury were pumped full of MSG, which clouded their
minds. we must ban MSG before it kills more of andy's relatives!!!

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:02:54 -0500, Andy wrote:

> George said...
>
>> Goomba wrote:

>>> And did the autopsy show drugs or anything in his system?
>>> Young people who die early of heart attacks have been known to have
>>> cocaine or other stimulants in their system.

>> Or simply because of the genetic roll of the dice when he was conceived
>> produced some congenital defect. A friend's friend 26 year old son died
>> of a heart attack in his sleep just a few months ago. I know the
>> pathologist who did the autopsy and she is quite competent and thorough.
>> No drugs were involved. He had a congenital defect.

> So, obviously there's no possible chance that years of exposure to MSG had
> ANYTHING AT ALL to do with it???
>
> Arguing for argument's sake is not considered good form.
>
> Some people!!!
>
> Andy

i suspect it was the air he was exposed to and the water he drank. they'll
kill you every time.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 19:59:44 -0500, Andy wrote:

> Mark Thorson said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>>
>>> MSG... my uncle worked with MSG at a food company back when MSG got a
>>> bad name. His department's job was to break it down to the catalysts
>>> and enzymes and list those so they wouldn't have to list MSG in the
>>> ingredients lists of their products.

>> Baloney. There's plenty of disguised names for MSG
>> as ingredients that are MSG-rich, such as hydrolyzed
>> vegetable protein, sodium caseinate, beef flavor,
>> natural flavor, etc. None of these are a catalyst
>> nor an enzyme. As usual, you don't know what you're
>> talking about.

> What happened happened. Maybe I didn't explain it exactly right.
>
> You're penchant for wanting to be an asshole is stunning.
>
> Andy

not as stunning as your penchant for being stupid.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:26:25 -0500, Andy wrote:

> Mark Thorson said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>>
>>> Mark Thorson said...

>>> Shouldn't you be ebay hunting down some obscure object to impress us?

>> You're staying in fool mode, but I suppose that's
>> inevitable, like a dog staying in dog mode.

> Mark, you're so full of yourself!
>
> I'd be embarrassed to be you!
>
> Andy

<derisive snort>