Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default smashed/mashed potatoes

What is the difference?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> What is the difference?

From or what I read here, I gather mashed potatoes get boiled and then
mashed via a potato masher or fork or other instrument, while the smashed
potatoes are just boiled and then crumbled, thus retaining more of their
texture.
I wait with you for a more authoritative opinion
--
"mi pare sia quindi arrivato il momento di salutarti definitivamente"
mardot su IHC 16.11.2012 promessa ovviamente non mantenuta [disordine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> What is the difference?

> From or what I read here, I gather mashed potatoes get boiled and then
> mashed via a potato masher or fork or other instrument, while the smashed
> potatoes are just boiled and then crumbled, thus retaining more of their
> texture.
> I wait with you for a more authoritative opinion

ok
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-11-27, Ophelia > wrote:
> What is the difference?

One starts with an s.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:23:02 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>What is the difference?

In our house-
mashed- boiled & squished repeatedly to a [more or less] smooth puree

smashed= small potatoes, skin on, roasted, then crushed enough to
expose the flesh so it will absorb more of whatever sauce you're
applying.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:23:02 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>>What is the difference?

> In our house-
> mashed- boiled & squished repeatedly to a [more or less] smooth puree
>
> smashed= small potatoes, skin on, roasted, then crushed enough to
> expose the flesh so it will absorb more of whatever sauce you're
> applying.

Thanks, Jim. Is that like the recipe where you crush the potatoes gently
and then
finish baking?

I get very confused by all these terms

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:49:45 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:23:02 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>What is the difference?

>> In our house-
>> mashed- boiled & squished repeatedly to a [more or less] smooth puree
>>
>> smashed= small potatoes, skin on, roasted, then crushed enough to
>> expose the flesh so it will absorb more of whatever sauce you're
>> applying.

>Thanks, Jim. Is that like the recipe where you crush the potatoes gently
>and then
>finish baking?

I toss them with the sauce and serve-- Here's our favorite
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=7301593
Emeril Lagasse's Easter Feast Smashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and
Chives

>I get very confused by all these terms

A few years ago I called mashed potatoes 'smashed'. Now that we have
a 'smashed' recipe I need to be careful.<g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> What is the difference?
>
> --

and then there are "Crashed potatoes"
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...-hot-potatoes/

Highly recommended!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 07:41:24 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

>"Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> What is the difference?
>>
>> --

>and then there are "Crashed potatoes"
>http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...-hot-potatoes/
>
>Highly recommended!
>Graham

These potatoes were discussed here (in this newsgroup) several years
ago. Didn't Damsel have something to do with it? They were all the
rage here for a while. I made them once and didn't bother again.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
news

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> What is the difference?
>>
>> --

> and then there are "Crashed potatoes"
> http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...-hot-potatoes/

Ahh I remember those
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:49:45 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:23:02 -0000, "Ophelia"

>>> In our house-
>>> mashed- boiled & squished repeatedly to a [more or less] smooth puree
>>>
>>> smashed= small potatoes, skin on, roasted, then crushed enough to
>>> expose the flesh so it will absorb more of whatever sauce you're
>>> applying.

>>Thanks, Jim. Is that like the recipe where you crush the potatoes gently
>>and then
>>finish baking?
>>

> I toss them with the sauce and serve-- Here's our favorite
> http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=7301593
> Emeril Lagasse's Easter Feast Smashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and
> Chives

Mmm that sounds nice

>>I get very confused by all these terms

> A few years ago I called mashed potatoes 'smashed'. Now that we have
> a 'smashed' recipe I need to be careful.<g>

Pah) we can call them what we like eh? <g> Just so long as we know what
everyone else means
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:23:02 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> What is the difference?
>
> --

In my kitchen, the big difference is the addition of liquid and
stirring/whipping... one is heavy, the other isn't. Smashed has no
added liquid; it's just a potato (usually with the jacket on) mashed
on the plate with a fork and a dab of butter on top. Think of the
interior of a baked potato after it's been pinched and fancied up -
similar to that. Mashed begins with a well peeled potato for me and
has some liquid in it (potato water/milk/cream) plus butter. I also
whip it with the potato masher to make it light and smooth. I do not
like any lumps in my mashed potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:49:45 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:23:02 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>What is the difference?

> > In our house-
> > mashed- boiled & squished repeatedly to a [more or less] smooth puree
> >
> > smashed= small potatoes, skin on, roasted, then crushed enough to
> > expose the flesh so it will absorb more of whatever sauce you're
> > applying.

> Thanks, Jim. Is that like the recipe where you crush the potatoes gently
> and then
> finish baking?
>
> I get very confused by all these terms

Those were "crash" potatoes. Not a common term, but it was a
different method so she had to come up with a different word for it.
You've made that recipe, haven't you?
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...-hot-potatoes/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 07:58:56 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 07:41:24 -0700, "graham" > wrote:
>

> >"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >> What is the difference?
> >>
> >> --

> >and then there are "Crashed potatoes"
> >http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...-hot-potatoes/
> >
> >Highly recommended!
> >Graham
> >

> These potatoes were discussed here (in this newsgroup) several years
> ago. Didn't Damsel have something to do with it? They were all the
> rage here for a while. I made them once and didn't bother again.

They made the rounds in the food blogging world. I made them twice.
They're very good, but way too much work - mainly because I couldn't
figure out how to stop the potatoes from sticking to the potato
masher. I oiled it the second time around, but it was still an ordeal
and they never turned out to be as pretty as the pictures bloggers
posted.

I had a much easier time with kale chips, which made the rounds about
the same time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> What is the difference?

> From or what I read here, I gather mashed potatoes get boiled and then
> mashed via a potato masher or fork or other instrument, while the smashed
> potatoes are just boiled and then crumbled, thus retaining more of their
> texture.

Right. To me it's the degree of grind and consistency. Less uniform,
smashed. More uniform, mashed. The scale is subjective though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:23:02 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> What is the difference?
>>
>> --

> In my kitchen, the big difference is the addition of liquid and
> stirring/whipping... one is heavy, the other isn't. Smashed has no
> added liquid; it's just a potato (usually with the jacket on) mashed
> on the plate with a fork and a dab of butter on top. Think of the
> interior of a baked potato after it's been pinched and fancied up -
> similar to that. Mashed begins with a well peeled potato for me and
> has some liquid in it (potato water/milk/cream) plus butter. I also
> whip it with the potato masher to make it light and smooth. I do not
> like any lumps in my mashed potatoes.

Ok thanks! I like my mashed potatoes mashed up with some butter and
sometimes a little cream. We also like baked potatoes, onto which we put
some butter, but served just halved.
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:49:45 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
>> > On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:23:02 -0000, "Ophelia"

>> > In our house-
>> > mashed- boiled & squished repeatedly to a [more or less] smooth puree
>> >
>> > smashed= small potatoes, skin on, roasted, then crushed enough to
>> > expose the flesh so it will absorb more of whatever sauce you're
>> > applying.

>> Thanks, Jim. Is that like the recipe where you crush the potatoes gently
>> and then
>> finish baking?
>>
>> I get very confused by all these terms
>>

> Those were "crash" potatoes. Not a common term, but it was a
> different method so she had to come up with a different word for it.
> You've made that recipe, haven't you?
> http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...-hot-potatoes/

I have indeed. I heard about them from Damsel. Perhaps she named them after
her other half)
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> ViLco wrote:
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>> What is the difference?

>> From or what I read here, I gather mashed potatoes get boiled and then
>> mashed via a potato masher or fork or other instrument, while the smashed
>> potatoes are just boiled and then crumbled, thus retaining more of their
>> texture.

> Right. To me it's the degree of grind and consistency. Less uniform,
> smashed. More uniform, mashed. The scale is subjective though.

Aye, I am getting the idea now, thanks

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> What is the difference?

I would say that smashed usually are not mashed as well and can contain
peel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/27/2012 11:32 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 07:58:56 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:

>>> and then there are "Crashed potatoes"
>>> http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...-hot-potatoes/
>>>
>>> Highly recommended!
>>> Graham
>>>

>> These potatoes were discussed here (in this newsgroup) several years
>> ago. Didn't Damsel have something to do with it? They were all the
>> rage here for a while. I made them once and didn't bother again.

> They made the rounds in the food blogging world. I made them twice.
> They're very good, but way too much work - mainly because I couldn't
> figure out how to stop the potatoes from sticking to the potato
> masher. I oiled it the second time around, but it was still an ordeal
> and they never turned out to be as pretty as the pictures bloggers
> posted.
>
> I had a much easier time with kale chips, which made the rounds about
> the same time.

Yes, I've been making the Pioneer Woman recipe for Smashed for a while.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/27/2012 12:58 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 11/27/2012 11:32 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 07:58:56 -0700, Janet Bostwick
>> > wrote:

>>> These potatoes were discussed here (in this newsgroup) several years
>>> ago. Didn't Damsel have something to do with it? They were all the
>>> rage here for a while. I made them once and didn't bother again.

>> They made the rounds in the food blogging world. I made them twice.
>> They're very good, but way too much work - mainly because I couldn't
>> figure out how to stop the potatoes from sticking to the potato
>> masher. I oiled it the second time around, but it was still an ordeal
>> and they never turned out to be as pretty as the pictures bloggers
>> posted.
>>
>> I had a much easier time with kale chips, which made the rounds about
>> the same time.
>>

> Yes, I've been making the Pioneer Woman recipe for Smashed for a while.

Let me add that you can save time for a small amount of potatoes by
nuking them instead of boiling.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:58:36 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 11/27/2012 11:32 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 07:58:56 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > > wrote:

> >> These potatoes were discussed here (in this newsgroup) several years
> >> ago. Didn't Damsel have something to do with it? They were all the
> >> rage here for a while. I made them once and didn't bother again.

> > They made the rounds in the food blogging world. I made them twice.
> > They're very good, but way too much work - mainly because I couldn't
> > figure out how to stop the potatoes from sticking to the potato
> > masher. I oiled it the second time around, but it was still an ordeal
> > and they never turned out to be as pretty as the pictures bloggers
> > posted.
> >
> > I had a much easier time with kale chips, which made the rounds about
> > the same time.
> >

> Yes, I've been making the Pioneer Woman recipe for Smashed for a while.

Do you have a secret to it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 17:22:44 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> I heard about them from Damsel. Perhaps she named them after
> her other half)

There's no connection between them and what the Pioneer Woman called
her potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
>
> > What is the difference?

> From or what I read here, I gather mashed potatoes get boiled and then
> mashed via a potato masher or fork or other instrument, while the smashed
> potatoes are just boiled and then crumbled, thus retaining more of their
> texture.
> I wait with you for a more authoritative opinion

Maybe not authoritative but MY opinion.
Basically they are the same. some people just like to say smashed.

If there is a difference, imo mashed potatoes are made from boiled and
smashed might be made from baked?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 08:32:41 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>> They made the rounds in the food blogging world. I made them twice.
>> They're very good, but way too much work - mainly because I couldn't
>> figure out how to stop the potatoes from sticking to the potato
>> masher. I oiled it the second time around, but it was still an ordeal
>> and they never turned out to be as pretty as the pictures bloggers
>> posted.

> Very easy to make somewhat pretty, although they're supposed to look
> kinda "rustic".
>
> With country ribs:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>
> Salmon and asparagus: