Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nobody buys printed cookbooks anymore!

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:42:41 -0500, Sqwertz >
arranged random neurons and said:

>On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 19:15:15 -0500, Andy wrote:
>
>> Nobody buys printed cookbooks anymore!
>>
>> Why spend $$$ when it's all online for free and peer-reviewied?

>As usual, you couldn't be more wrong. Few people of my caliber peer
>review any recipes on the Internet. 5 stars usdually means 1 or 2
>stars. Printed books, other than those of most celebrity chefs, are
>still the best resources.

AFAICS, the "peer reviews" of recipes also tend to say something like,
"I didn't have any garlic, so I used leeks. And I don't care for
caraway, so I used slivered almonds. And I was saving the last of my
vanilla extract for a cake, so I used lemon extract..." IOW, they
twist the original recipe all or partly out of recognition, which
isn't a review of the recipe. OTOH, I like comments like, "Next time,
I'll use 1/2 cup less sugar" or "I think thyme is too strong for this
dish."

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:42:41 -0500, Sqwertz >
> arranged random neurons and said:
>
>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 19:15:15 -0500, Andy wrote:
>>
>>> Nobody buys printed cookbooks anymore!
>>>
>>> Why spend $$$ when it's all online for free and peer-reviewied?

>> As usual, you couldn't be more wrong. Few people of my caliber peer
>> review any recipes on the Internet. 5 stars usdually means 1 or 2
>> stars. Printed books, other than those of most celebrity chefs, are
>> still the best resources.

> AFAICS, the "peer reviews" of recipes also tend to say something like,
> "I didn't have any garlic, so I used leeks. And I don't care for
> caraway, so I used slivered almonds. And I was saving the last of my
> vanilla extract for a cake, so I used lemon extract..." IOW, they
> twist the original recipe all or partly out of recognition, which
> isn't a review of the recipe. OTOH, I like comments like, "Next time,
> I'll use 1/2 cup less sugar" or "I think thyme is too strong for this
> dish."
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

ICAM! It really irks me when someone will complain about a recipe
after they have made numerous substitutions.

--
Jean B.