Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nobody buys printed cookbooks anymore!

Andy wrote:
> Nobody buys printed cookbooks anymore!
>
> Why spend $$$ when it's all online for free and peer-reviewied?

I very rarely buy them. I can get pretty much any recipe I need online.
Now the ones I do buy are usually bought because there are interesting
stories in them or they contain things I can't find online.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/26/2011 2:08 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>> Nobody buys printed cookbooks anymore!
>>
>> Why spend $$$ when it's all online for free and peer-reviewied?

> I very rarely buy them. I can get pretty much any recipe I need online.
> Now the ones I do buy are usually bought because there are interesting
> stories in them or they contain things I can't find online.

I have to admit that I have not bought a cookbook in years but
elaborate, lavishly illustrated books continue to be published and
Barnes and Noble still has quite a large section displaying them. Great
place to browse but who buys them? :-)

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote:
> On 6/26/2011 2:08 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Andy wrote:
>>> Nobody buys printed cookbooks anymore!
>>>
>>> Why spend $$$ when it's all online for free and peer-reviewied?

>> I very rarely buy them. I can get pretty much any recipe I need online.
>> Now the ones I do buy are usually bought because there are interesting
>> stories in them or they contain things I can't find online.
>>

> I have to admit that I have not bought a cookbook in years but elaborate,
> lavishly illustrated books continue to be published and Barnes and Noble
> still has quite a large section displaying them. Great place to browse
> but who buys them? :-)

Almost nobody. I bought a cheap small cookbook at Costco yesterday. Taste
of Home book called "Fresh and Easy". Impulsive buy... It was the pictures

Perhaps the title should be "Almost Nobody" for the header. Am I going burn
my personal library of over one thousand books. Noooo!!! that Ray Bradbury
guy was a prophet!!! Nooooo!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/06/2011 8:09 AM, James Silverton wrote:

> I have to admit that I have not bought a cookbook in years but
> elaborate, lavishly illustrated books continue to be published and
> Barnes and Noble still has quite a large section displaying them. Great
> place to browse but who buys them? :-)

When looking for recipes there days I tend to look online before I check
my cookbooks. I also get a lot of good recipes out of newspapers and
magazines. I try them and if they are good I type them up and save them.

Lately I have found several cookie recipes that use canola oil instead
of saturated fats, which I am not supposed to eat anymore. A few weeks
ago there was a recipe in a newspaper for triple chocolate brownie
cookies that looked healthy enough. They turned out to be delicious. The
recipe is a keeper.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 06:15:51 -0500, Andy wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> Nobody buys printed cookbooks anymore!
>>>
>>> Why spend $$$ when it's all online for free and peer-reviewied?

>> I very rarely buy them. I can get pretty much any recipe I need

> online.
>> Now the ones I do buy are usually bought because there are interesting
>> stories in them or they contain things I can't find online.

> Julie,
>
> On Mom's cookbook shelf was a paperback Alice B. Toklas cookbook. What
> was so interesting about it was there was a recipe for marijuana
> brownies!
>
> We looked at Mom with a small measure of suspicion.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

i think your mom took thalidomide.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 8:09*am, James Silverton >
wrote:
> On 6/26/2011 2:08 AM, Julie Bove wrote:> Andy wrote:
> >> Nobody buys printed cookbooks anymore!

> >> Why spend $$$ when it's all online for free and peer-reviewied?

> > I very rarely buy them. *I can get pretty much any recipe I need online.
> > Now the ones I do buy are usually bought because there are interesting
> > stories in them or they contain things I can't find online.

> I have to admit that I have not bought a cookbook in years but
> elaborate, lavishly illustrated books continue to be published and
> Barnes and Noble still has quite a large section displaying them. Great
> place to browse but who buys them? :-)
>
> --
>
> James Silverton, Potomac
>
> I'm *not*

I buy cookbooks all the time. I love them and enjoy reading them.

Lucille

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stu wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:42:44 -0400, blake murphy >
> wrote:

>>> online.
>>> Julie,
>>>
>>> On Mom's cookbook shelf was a paperback Alice B. Toklas cookbook. What
>>> was so interesting about it was there was a recipe for marijuana
>>> brownies!
>>>
>>> We looked at Mom with a small measure of suspicion.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Andy

>> i think your mom took thalidomide.
>>
>> blake

> Good catch, possibly why he's so slow.

Slow mentally? Is that an issue with thalidomide?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:
> Stu wrote:
>> blake murphy wrote:

>>> i think your mom took thalidomide.
>>>
>>> blake

>> Good catch, possibly why he's so slow.

>Slow mentally? Is that an issue with thalidomide?

I don't think dimwitted is one of the attributes associated with
thalidomide... but the mick of all people to comment on a drug
responsible for horrendous deformities... if anything it's his mom who
is responsible for his physical deformation. The mick is also slow
mentally, obviously, or he'd have been capable of thinking "Oh, WTF am
I saying?" The mick exhibits so little talent he couldn't qualify to
compete on The Special Olympics Gong Show.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 13:40:28 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

> Stu wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:42:44 -0400, blake murphy >
>> wrote:

>>> i think your mom took thalidomide.
>>>
>>> blake

>> Good catch, possibly why he's so slow.

> Slow mentally? Is that an issue with thalidomide?

it can be:

<http://www.teratology.org/updates/60pg306.pdf>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 18:12:59 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Jean B." wrote:
>> Stu wrote:

>>> Good catch, possibly why he's so slow.

>>Slow mentally? Is that an issue with thalidomide?

> I don't think dimwitted is one of the attributes associated with
> thalidomide... but the mick of all people to comment on a drug
> responsible for horrendous deformities... if anything it's his mom who
> is responsible for his physical deformation.

uh-huh. my mother is responsible for my amputations at age forty-eight.
how stupid are you?

>The mick is also slow
> mentally, obviously, or he'd have been capable of thinking "Oh, WTF am
> I saying?"

keep telling yourself that, farm-boy.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 12:33:41 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>uh-huh. my mother is responsible for my amputations at age forty-eight.
>how stupid are you?
>
>blake

Hell boy, your Mother was too busy at the whore house to mess with
you. I'll bet she sat on your face to shut you up. I can just see you
grabbing your stumps and sucking yourself off. What a ****ing image!
You'd look like one of those toys in the park that kids ride. Git
along little doggy! Don't forget to swallow, mother****er.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 13:40:28 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Stu wrote:

>>> Good catch, possibly why he's so slow.

>> Slow mentally? Is that an issue with thalidomide?

> it can be:
>
> <http://www.teratology.org/updates/60pg306.pdf>
>
> your pal,
> blake

I never knew that. The paper, which I just started reading is
very interesting--and sad.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 23:21:05 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>> Slow mentally? Is that an issue with thalidomide?

>> it can be:
>>
>> <http://www.teratology.org/updates/60pg306.pdf>
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> I never knew that. The paper, which I just started reading is
> very interesting--and sad.

thalidomide distribution is extremely limited now - it is used to treat
some skin conditions associated with leprosy and multiple myeloma.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalidomide>

needless to say, measures are taken to keep it out of the hands of pregnant
women.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 13:40:54 -0400, James Post wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 12:33:41 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>uh-huh. my mother is responsible for my amputations at age forty-eight.
>>how stupid are you?
>>
>>blake

> Hell boy, your Mother was too busy at the whore house to mess with
> you. I'll bet she sat on your face to shut you up. I can just see you
> grabbing your stumps and sucking yourself off. What a ****ing image!
> You'd look like one of those toys in the park that kids ride. Git
> along little doggy! Don't forget to swallow, mother****er.

you're a very tiresome fellow.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 23:21:05 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:

>>> it can be:
>>>
>>> <http://www.teratology.org/updates/60pg306.pdf>
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> I never knew that. The paper, which I just started reading is
>> very interesting--and sad.

> thalidomide distribution is extremely limited now - it is used to treat
> some skin conditions associated with leprosy and multiple myeloma.
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalidomide>
>
> needless to say, measures are taken to keep it out of the hands of pregnant
> women.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Yes, of course. We have been aware of the tragic results for a
very long time now.

--
Jean B.

Member

Hello,

This is my first post in Foodbanter.

My personal opinion is that some coobooks are worth buying, because they have proved their success with the huge amount of positive feedback they have received with years.

That's why 'The Joy of Cooking' is still a best seller. It's not about recipes only. It's about attitude towards food, the culture and other related and important areas of humans life.

Last edited by mit_iv : 11-03-2013 at 03:47 PM
Member

Here's a good relevant blog post about top cookbooks of all times:
7 Top Cookbooks of All Time - Restaurant Equipment & Food Service Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_iv View Post