Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nobody buys printed cookbooks anymore!

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Nobody buys printed cookbooks anymore!
>
> Why spend $$$ when it's all online for free and peer-reviewied?
>
> Andy

I happen to enjoy reading cookbooks. I'm not a "collector" by any means. I
don't strive to have over 1000 cookbooks. But I like the ones I have and I
enjoy flipping through them to get meal ideas. Sometimes there are
interesting stories attached to the recipes.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Andy" > wrote in message ...
>> Nobody buys printed cookbooks anymore!
>>
>> Why spend $$$ when it's all online for free and peer-reviewied?
>>
>> Andy

> I happen to enjoy reading cookbooks. I'm not a "collector" by any means.
> I don't strive to have over 1000 cookbooks. But I like the ones I have
> and I enjoy flipping through them to get meal ideas. Sometimes there are
> interesting stories attached to the recipes.
>
> Jill

I do not have over one thousand cookbooks. My personal library is a variety
of books that are over thousand. About twenty cookbooks all in the last
year. New Here at cooking.

Nut I am not burning them.... Nooooo!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:16:51 -0400, "jmcquown" > wrote:

>> Nobody buys printed cookbooks anymore!

We do.

>> Why spend $$$ when it's all online for free and peer-reviewied?

Well, for one thing, because you can't trust much of what you find online.

> I'm not a "collector" by any means. I don't strive to have over 1000 cookbooks.
> But I like the ones I have and I enjoy flipping through them to get meal ideas.
>Sometimes there are interesting stories attached to the recipes.

Same here -- my wife especially likes to look for recipes. We also enjoy books
like Elizabeth Bard's "Lunch in Paris", a memoir that includes lots if
interesting recipes.

But then I'm a book guy. I have over 1,000 books on tennis alone.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:56:34 -0400, wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:16:51 -0400, "jmcquown" > wrote:

>>> I'm not a "collector" by any means. I don't strive to have over 1000 cookbooks.
>>> But I like the ones I have and I enjoy flipping through them to get meal ideas.
>>> Sometimes there are interesting stories attached to the recipes.

>> Same here -- my wife especially likes to look for recipes. We also enjoy books
>> like Elizabeth Bard's "Lunch in Paris", a memoir that includes lots if
>> interesting recipes.
>>
>> But then I'm a book guy. I have over 1,000 books on tennis alone.
>>
>> -- Larry

> I am a collector, but inadvertantly. It just so happened that I kept
> on buying cookbooks..and right now I have somewhere in the
> neighborhood of 1100, more or less.
>
> I don't buy them just for the recipes, although that is one component
> of a good cookbook. I buy a cookbook for so many more reasons than
> just recipes... As Jill mentioned, I too love reading through them
> and getting ideas. I like reading the stories..sometimes they give
> an extra "flavor" to the recipe.
>
> I am thinking there is a fundamental difference between those of us
> who love cookbooks, and those that just look for recipes online. Those
> of us who love cookbooks, love the whole package, rather than just the
> recipe, the writing, the stories, the description of the dishes, and
> finally, the recipes.
>
> Those of you who could care less about cookbooks, I suspect are just
> looking for recipes, and don't care where you find them. The internet
> works fine for you.
>
> Me, I like good food blogs, for the same reasons I like cookbooks. The
> stories are part and parcel of what is so enchanting to me... A
> recipe by itself, is just boring..
>
> Christine

I like what you wrote! Looking for recipes and acquiring and
appreciating cookbooks can be somewhat different. I almost always
look online for recipes to tinker with--sometimes first and
sometimes that is the only way I look for recipes. Reading
through the books and pondering the recipes in them is somehow
different. This is hard for me to express. I guess one
difference is that if I start with an idea of something I want to
cook, or even a specific dish (unless it is a recipe I am already
aware of, be it a TNT recipe of my own or one that I remember is
in a book), I search online. When I find recipes in books, it is
a matter of reading the books and noticing things that would be
interesting to try. And both ways, I may have an epiphany and end
up putting something together only from my own thoughts (based on
experience and reading).

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Christine Dabney wrote:
> > On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:56:34 -0400, wrote:

> > > Same here -- my wife especially likes to look for recipes. We
> > > also enjoy books like Elizabeth Bard's "Lunch in Paris", a memoir
> > > that includes lots if interesting recipes.
> > >
> > > But then I'm a book guy. I have over 1,000 books on tennis alone.
> > >
> > > -- Larry

> > I am a collector, but inadvertantly. It just so happened that I
> > kept on buying cookbooks..and right now I have somewhere in the
> > neighborhood of 1100, more or less. I don't buy them just for
> > the recipes, although that is one component of a good cookbook. I
> > buy a cookbook for so many more reasons than just recipes... As
> > Jill mentioned, I too love reading through them and getting ideas.
> > I like reading the stories..sometimes they give an extra "flavor"
> > to the recipe. I am thinking there is a fundamental difference
> > between those of us who love cookbooks, and those that just look
> > for recipes online. Those of us who love cookbooks, love the whole
> > package, rather than just the recipe, the writing, the stories, the
> > description of the dishes, and finally, the recipes. Those of
> > you who could care less about cookbooks, I suspect are just looking
> > for recipes, and don't care where you find them. The internet
> > works fine for you. Me, I like good food blogs, for the same
> > reasons I like cookbooks. The stories are part and parcel of what
> > is so enchanting to me... A recipe by itself, is just boring..
> >
> > Christine

> I like what you wrote! Looking for recipes and acquiring and
> appreciating cookbooks can be somewhat different. I almost always
> look online for recipes to tinker with--sometimes first and sometimes
> that is the only way I look for recipes. Reading through the books
> and pondering the recipes in them is somehow different. This is hard
> for me to express. I guess one difference is that if I start with an
> idea of something I want to cook, or even a specific dish (unless it
> is a recipe I am already aware of, be it a TNT recipe of my own or
> one that I remember is in a book), I search online. When I find
> recipes in books, it is a matter of reading the books and noticing
> things that would be interesting to try. And both ways, I may have
> an epiphany and end up putting something together only from my own
> thoughts (based on experience and reading).

Same here. I don't have a huge assortment of cookbooks. Probably less
than 50 about 5 of which I plan to freecycle away shortly as they do
not appeal to me. (Gifts from hubby). Several Jeff Smith ones that are
well written with a story to each dish. No matter what you may think
of the man, he wrote neat cookbooks.

When I write recipes up, I normally have fun making the reading
entertaining. Here's a few samples.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Sock Stock (Fish)
Categories: Xxcarol, Soups, Low-fat, Japanese
Yield: 12 Servings

2 lg Cotton tube socks
3 lb Fish bones/heads/tails/fins
2 Sliced carrots
2 md Sliced onions
2 Sliced stalks celery
1 Bay leaf
2 Crushed garlic cloves
6 Peppercorns
1/2 ga Water (or more)

Ok, Socks! Yikes! What's she up to now? I aint eatin socks!

No dear. The socks are clean (never been worn) bought just for
holding delicate fishbones. I tuck as much as comfortably fits then
pin it closed and use it to make sure the bones dont get lost in the
food.

Now the stock above is a sample basic fish stock. How much water is
added depends on how strong you want it. I would start with 1/2
gallon. Many people also add a cup of white wine to this. Me, I add
shoyu (soy sauce) and chinese 5 spice or ginger. Frequently I add
seaweed shredded and then use this in place of my basic dashi.

From the kitchen of: xxcarol Date: 05 Sep 98

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's porky butt
Categories: Xxcarol, Crockpot, Diabetic
Yield: 12 Servings

2 lb Pork butt, whole frozen
1 lb Pork cutlets, frozen
1/2 ea Head cabbage, torn up bits
1 lg White onion, chopped big
10 ea Peeled garlic cloves, whole
2 ea Cans (16 oz) sliced tomatoes
1 c Tomato juice
5 c Water (estimated)
2 ts Patis (alt 1 TB soy sauce)
2 ts Sesame oil (alt olive oil)
1 ts Black pepper
1 ts Salt

This is a sort of 'trash cooking for the crockpot' born of a day when
I wanted to cook but didnt want to stir out of the house. I have
this extra freezer than could hold a whole hog so I always have
'stuff' about even if frozen. This time, it was markdown pork bits
and I clobbered 2 types together to make about 3 lbs of meat.

I added 1/2 head of cabbage and tore it by hand up to big chunks, then
sliced a large white onion up in about 8 pieces. Toss in 10 cloves of
garlic (ours is a bit milder, you may want to use 6 cloves with
regular USA types) then add the rest. The tomato cans are contadina
brand. The patis is Tiparos brand (lower sodium than all others I
have seen). The tomato juice is actually a local vegetable juice,
close to a can of spicy V-8 so you can use that if you have it handy.

You will see soy sauce as an alternate to patis and it will work but
change the dish. Same for the olive oil in place of a good sesame
oil (highly suggest stick with the sesame oil if you can! Very
distinctive difference).

Optional additions: Carrots would be a natural. The tougher woody
parts of asparagus would work well and cook to soft in the crockpot.
Mushrooms, dried or fresh would be a nice touch (leave them whole).

Serving suggestions: With rice at the side or as a bed you place the
'stew' on. This one cries for fresh fruit at the side, such as
cantalope or honeydew. Oranges or sliced pears would work. Most
berry types would be too 'tart' to match well but muskdine 'grapes'
would be perfect. Deep red wine will match this dish but make it a
table wine, not a dry one.

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol 17MAR2007

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Lamb Soup
Categories: Tnt, Lamb, Soups, Xxcarol
Yield: 6 Servings

1 lb Lamb, neck with bone pref'd
6 sm Red potatoes, skin on
1 sm Onion, sliced small
2 md Carrots, sliced to dimes
1/4 c Chopped fresh chives (opt)
1/2 c Bok Choy, sliced green/white
1 ts Black pepper, ground
1 ts Salt (to taste)
4 c Water (plus as needed)

With the advent of a sudden drop in Lamb prices in the USA, I've been
experimenting with recipes. This one, was made with the ingredients
above although I didnt have a whole pound of sliced lamb neck bones
(with meat) to use. I had only 1/2 so used 1/2 of what's above. With
that, it was 2 cups of water. With this, it should be 4. This will
add up to 6 cups of soup. Is it good? I'm told so! It was so good,
my husband and daughter ate it all up and didn't leave me any! They
did add more salt and black pepper to taste, but I started with the
basic minimums (grin).

This will make a very nice broth with lots of veggies in it.
Depending on the size of the red potatoes, you may want to slice
them. I used really small ones so each bowl got a whole one. If red
skinned potatoes are expensive where you are, any type of non-sweet
potato that takes well to long boiling will do.

Bok Choy, for those not familiar, is an oriental cabbage with white
stalks leafing out to dark green tops. You could substitute 'head
cabbage' (the hard balls shaped like a head) if the price of Bok Choy
is dear in your area. The Bok Choy amount would be about 2
individual stalks.

The chives added a nice touch but if you dont have a garden with
them, you could add either some leek greens, a green onion, or just
another small onion.

To start, wash the veggies (skin the carrots if you prefer), then
slice those that need slicing. Place these in the pot along with the
sliced neck bones (or other lamb meat with bone should do) and add
the rest plus 4 cups of water. Set the heat on a slow simmer and
allow it to simmer for about 2 hours. Add more water as needed, then
test the taste. If it seems ready, it is.

For diabetics, you will want to then 'de-fat' the soup. I poured it
into a large plastic container and put that in the fridge to cool so
the fat could be lifted off easily. (If the lamb was another part
other than 'neck bone' or it wasnt well trimmed, this may be a
required step as lamb tends to be greasy).

Grin, unfortunately at that point I went shopping and when I got
back, Don had removed the fat, reheated the soup, and he and
Charlotte (7YO) were licking the bottom of their respective soup
bowls!

From the kitchen of: xxcarol Date: 05-05-01

MMMMM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> [...]

> To start, wash the veggies (skin the carrots if you prefer), then
> slice those that need slicing. Place these in the pot along with the
> sliced neck bones (or other lamb meat with bone should do) and add
> the rest plus 4 cups of water. Set the heat on a slow simmer and
> allow it to simmer for about 2 hours. Add more water as needed, then
> test the taste. If it seems ready, it is.
>
> For diabetics, you will want to then 'de-fat' the soup. I poured it
> into a large plastic container and put that in the fridge to cool so
> the fat could be lifted off easily. (If the lamb was another part
> other than 'neck bone' or it wasnt well trimmed, this may be a
> required step as lamb tends to be greasy).
>
> Grin, unfortunately at that point I went shopping and when I got
> back, Don had removed the fat, reheated the soup, and he and
> Charlotte (7YO) were licking the bottom of their respective soup

LOL! Do other people get to see your gems?

--
Jean B.