Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Moist delicious yellow cake, from a mix you say?

Yes, from a box mix.

I snagged this recipe off of The Pioneer Woman's website.

I need a recipe that I can make several pans of to serve 40 people and
this one fits the bill.

Today thought I'd do a test run and it is quick, easy and delicious.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/koko181/5778704320/

Step by step is on my blog if interested.

Here's the recipe ;-)

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Pig Cake

cakes, desserts

1 FOR THE CAKE
1 box (18.25 oz. box yellow cake mix
1 stick margarine (softened)
1 can (14 oz. can) mandarin oranges, drained, 1/2 cup; juice reserved
4 whole eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 FOR THE FROSTING
1 package (4 oz. box vanilla instant pudding mix
1 can (20 oz. can) crushed pineapple, juice reserved
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 fluid ounces frozen whipped topping; such as cool whip

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
For the cake, combine cake mix, margarine, 1/2 cup juice from the
mandarin oranges, eggs, and vanilla.
Beat for four minutes on medium-high. Add drained oranges and beat
again until pieces are broken up and small.
Pour batter into greased and floured 9 x 13 inch baking pan and bake
for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and set.
Remove from oven and cool completely. If desired, turn out cake onto a
large platter.
Once cake is cool, blend juice from drained pineapples with the
vanilla pudding mix. Add powdered sugar and mix, then mix in whipped
topping. Stir in drained pineapple. Spread on cooled cake and
refrigerate several hours.
To serve, cut cake into squares and top each square with a mandarin
orange
slice.

Added by Ree on January 2, 2011 in Cakes, Desserts
Prep Time 10 Minutes
Cook Time 30 Minutes Servings 16 Difficulty Easy

Notes: The Pioneer Woman.com

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 30, 8:18*pm, wrote:
> Yes, from a box mix.
>
> I snagged this recipe off of The Pioneer Woman's website.
>
> I need a recipe that I can make several pans of to serve 40 people and
> this one fits the bill.
>
> Today thought I'd do a test run and it is quick, easy and delicious.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/koko181/5778704320/
>
> Step by step is on my blog if interested.
>
> Here's the recipe ;-)
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Pig Cake
>
> cakes, desserts
>
> 1 *FOR THE CAKE
> 1 box (18.25 oz. box yellow cake mix
> 1 stick margarine (softened)
> 1 can (14 oz. can) mandarin oranges, drained, 1/2 cup; juice reserved
> 4 whole eggs
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1 *FOR THE FROSTING
> 1 package (4 oz. box vanilla instant pudding mix
> 1 can (20 oz. can) crushed pineapple, juice reserved
> 1/2 cup powdered sugar
> 4 fluid ounces frozen whipped topping; such as cool whip

Perfect food for a PIG. Crappy ingredients, and a recipe that I'm
sure Sandra Lee would endorse. Only a pig of a person would call that
cooking. You are a pig.

> koko
> --

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 May 2011 18:26:02 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> arranged random neurons and said:

>On May 30, 8:18*pm, wrote:
>> Yes, from a box mix.
>>
>> I snagged this recipe off of The Pioneer Woman's website.
>>
>> I need a recipe that I can make several pans of to serve 40 people and
>> this one fits the bill.
>>
>> Today thought I'd do a test run and it is quick, easy and delicious.
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/koko181/5778704320/
>>
>> Step by step is on my blog if interested.
>>
>> Here's the recipe ;-)
>>
>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>> Pig Cake
>>
>> cakes, desserts
>>
>> 1 *FOR THE CAKE
>> 1 box (18.25 oz. box yellow cake mix
>> 1 stick margarine (softened)
>> 1 can (14 oz. can) mandarin oranges, drained, 1/2 cup; juice reserved
>> 4 whole eggs
>> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>> 1 *FOR THE FROSTING
>> 1 package (4 oz. box vanilla instant pudding mix
>> 1 can (20 oz. can) crushed pineapple, juice reserved
>> 1/2 cup powdered sugar
>> 4 fluid ounces frozen whipped topping; such as cool whip
>>

>Perfect food for a PIG. Crappy ingredients, and a recipe that I'm
>sure Sandra Lee would endorse. Only a pig of a person would call that
>cooking. You are a pig.

Bwahahahaaa!! You called it, Koko! I owe you ten bucks, dammit. I
didn't think he'd jump at the bait that fast. OTOH, did I tell you I
made a peach cobbler today with <drum roll, please> *frozen peaches*?

Oh, the humanity!! <snort!>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> OTOH, did I tell you I made a peach cobbler today with <drum roll,
> please> *frozen peaches*?

How was it? Ice cream on top? Floating in cream or half and half?
Plain? I've had frozen fruit that's been better than fresh, nothing
wrong with that.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 May 2011 22:57:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> arranged random neurons and said:

>In article >,
> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>> OTOH, did I tell you I made a peach cobbler today with <drum roll,
>> please> *frozen peaches*?

>How was it? Ice cream on top? Floating in cream or half and half?
>Plain? I've had frozen fruit that's been better than fresh, nothing
>wrong with that.

Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream piled on top. It's going to be in Bill's
lunch this week, but I'll forgo the ice cream <g> He can't tell the
difference between fresh and frozen, anyway, so why kill yourself
paring and de-pitting a fresh peach. Those things are a bugger to pit
cleanly, IMHO, and if anyone has a magic bullet for that, I'd love to
hear it.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

what!!!!! you didn't grow and hand pick those peaches!!!, for shame!!!

Lee
"Te
rry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 May 2011 22:57:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > arranged random neurons and said:
>
>>In article >,
>> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>>> OTOH, did I tell you I made a peach cobbler today with <drum roll,
>>> please> *frozen peaches*?

>>How was it? Ice cream on top? Floating in cream or half and half?
>>Plain? I've had frozen fruit that's been better than fresh, nothing
>>wrong with that.

> Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream piled on top. It's going to be in Bill's
> lunch this week, but I'll forgo the ice cream <g> He can't tell the
> difference between fresh and frozen, anyway, so why kill yourself
> paring and de-pitting a fresh peach. Those things are a bugger to pit
> cleanly, IMHO, and if anyone has a magic bullet for that, I'd love to
> hear it.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --
>
> To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 30, 10:19*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2011 18:26:02 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > arranged random neurons and said:
>

> >On May 30, 8:18*pm, wrote:
> >> Yes, from a box mix.

> >> I snagged this recipe off of The Pioneer Woman's website.

> >> I need a recipe that I can make several pans of to serve 40 people and
> >> this one fits the bill.

> >> Today thought I'd do a test run and it is quick, easy and delicious.

> >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/koko181/5778704320/

> >> Step by step is on my blog if interested.

> >> Here's the recipe ;-)

> >> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

> >> Pig Cake

> >> cakes, desserts

> >> 1 *FOR THE CAKE
> >> 1 box (18.25 oz. box yellow cake mix
> >> 1 stick margarine (softened)
> >> 1 can (14 oz. can) mandarin oranges, drained, 1/2 cup; juice reserved
> >> 4 whole eggs
> >> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> >> 1 *FOR THE FROSTING
> >> 1 package (4 oz. box vanilla instant pudding mix
> >> 1 can (20 oz. can) crushed pineapple, juice reserved
> >> 1/2 cup powdered sugar
> >> 4 fluid ounces frozen whipped topping; such as cool whip

> >Perfect food for a PIG. *Crappy ingredients, and a recipe that I'm
> >sure Sandra Lee would endorse. *Only a pig of a person would call that
> >cooking. *You are a pig.

> Bwahahahaaa!! You called it, Koko! I owe you ten bucks, dammit. I
> didn't think he'd jump at the bait that fast. OTOH, did I tell you I
> made a peach cobbler today with <drum roll, please> *frozen peaches*?
>
> Oh, the humanity!! <snort!>
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

If you'd have used canned peaches, that would have been crappy, but
wouldn't have branded you as a luau pig like the OP, with her "box
yellow cake mix," "stick margarine," "instant pudding mix," and
"frozen whipped topping; such as cool whip." It's worse when the luau
pig does it because she actually knows how to cook decently. She's
going to slop 40 of her piggy friends because obviously when the
number of guests becomes large, standards go out the window. Maybe
she could make it 41 and invite Stu.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 31, 1:18*am, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2011 22:57:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > arranged random neurons and said:
>
> >In article >,
> > Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> >> OTOH, did I tell you I made a peach cobbler today with <drum roll,
> >> please> *frozen peaches*?

> >How was it? *Ice cream on top? *Floating in cream or half and half? *
> >Plain? * I've had frozen fruit that's been better than fresh, nothing
> >wrong with that.

> Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream piled on top. It's going to be in Bill's
> lunch this week, but I'll forgo the ice cream <g> He can't tell the
> difference between fresh and frozen, anyway, so why kill yourself
> paring and de-pitting a fresh peach. Those things are a bugger to pit
> cleanly, IMHO, and if anyone has a magic bullet for that, I'd love to
> hear it.

There's nothing wrong with frozen peaches, and right now they're
probably cheaper, and you're down ten bucks.

> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2011 3:18 PM, wrote:

> Yes, from a box mix.
>
> I snagged this recipe off of The Pioneer Woman's website.

I've never heard of mixing in canned oranges into a cake batter. That's
a new idea. Your recipe is too complicated for me but dumping in a can
of oranges into a cake sounds just nutty enough to work. I will try
this. Thanks.

> I need a recipe that I can make several pans of to serve 40 people and
> this one fits the bill.
>
> Today thought I'd do a test run and it is quick, easy and delicious.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/koko181/5778704320/

> Step by step is on my blog if interested.
>
> Here's the recipe ;-)
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Pig Cake
>
> cakes, desserts
>
> 1 FOR THE CAKE
> 1 box (18.25 oz. box yellow cake mix
> 1 stick margarine (softened)
> 1 can (14 oz. can) mandarin oranges, drained, 1/2 cup; juice reserved
> 4 whole eggs
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1 FOR THE FROSTING
> 1 package (4 oz. box vanilla instant pudding mix
> 1 can (20 oz. can) crushed pineapple, juice reserved
> 1/2 cup powdered sugar
> 4 fluid ounces frozen whipped topping; such as cool whip
>
> Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
> For the cake, combine cake mix, margarine, 1/2 cup juice from the
> mandarin oranges, eggs, and vanilla.
> Beat for four minutes on medium-high. Add drained oranges and beat
> again until pieces are broken up and small.
> Pour batter into greased and floured 9 x 13 inch baking pan and bake
> for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and set.
> Remove from oven and cool completely. If desired, turn out cake onto a
> large platter.
> Once cake is cool, blend juice from drained pineapples with the
> vanilla pudding mix. Add powdered sugar and mix, then mix in whipped
> topping. Stir in drained pineapple. Spread on cooled cake and
> refrigerate several hours.
> To serve, cut cake into squares and top each square with a mandarin
> orange
> slice.
>
> Added by Ree on January 2, 2011 in Cakes, Desserts
> Prep Time 10 Minutes
> Cook Time 30 Minutes Servings 16 Difficulty Easy
>
> Notes: The Pioneer Woman.com
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.87 **
>
> koko
> --
> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
> James Beard
>
> www.kokoscornerblog.com
>
> Natural Watkins Spices
> www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 31, 8:16*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>
> ...> On 5/30/2011 3:18 PM, wrote:
>
> >> Yes, from a box mix.

> >> I snagged this recipe off of The Pioneer Woman's website.

> > I've never heard of mixing in canned oranges into a cake batter. That's a
> > new idea. Your recipe is too complicated for me but dumping in a can of
> > oranges into a cake sounds just nutty enough to work. I will try this.
> > Thanks.

> My aunt made a white cake that called for a can of crushed pineapple. *It
> was absolutely delicious! *Unfortunately she died and no one has the the
> recipe. *I've no idea what happened to her recipe box.
>
> Jill
>

> >> I need a recipe that I can make several pans of to serve 40 people and
> >> this one fits the bill.

> >> Today thought I'd do a test run and it is quick, easy and delicious.

> >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/koko181/5778704320/

> >> Step by step is on my blog if interested.- Hide quoted text -

Was it Hummingbird Cake, a southern favorite? Take a look at a
Googled recipe -

This reminds me about my grandmama - she put crushed pineapple in
everything imaginable.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 May 2011 23:18:35 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

> Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream piled on top. It's going to be in Bill's
> lunch this week, but I'll forgo the ice cream <g> He can't tell the
> difference between fresh and frozen, anyway, so why kill yourself
> paring and de-pitting a fresh peach. Those things are a bugger to pit
> cleanly, IMHO, and if anyone has a magic bullet for that, I'd love to
> hear it.

The only way around it is to find yourself a freestone peach...
something that seems harder, not easier, to do these days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 May 2011 20:19:12 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>On Mon, 30 May 2011 18:26:02 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> arranged random neurons and said:
>
>>On May 30, 8:18*pm, wrote:
>>> Yes, from a box mix.
>>>
>>> I snagged this recipe off of The Pioneer Woman's website.
>>>
>>> I need a recipe that I can make several pans of to serve 40 people and
>>> this one fits the bill.
>>>
>>> Today thought I'd do a test run and it is quick, easy and delicious.
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/koko181/5778704320/
>>>
>>> Step by step is on my blog if interested.
>>>
>>> Here's the recipe ;-)

snippage

>>Perfect food for a PIG. Crappy ingredients, and a recipe that I'm
>>sure Sandra Lee would endorse. Only a pig of a person would call that
>>cooking. You are a pig.

>Bwahahahaaa!! You called it, Koko! I owe you ten bucks, dammit. I
>didn't think he'd jump at the bait that fast.

It's a gift I tell ya, a gift

> OTOH, did I tell you I
>made a peach cobbler today with <drum roll, please> *frozen peaches*?
>
>Oh, the humanity!! <snort!>
>
>Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 09:16:45 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> My aunt made a white cake that called for a can of crushed pineapple. It
> was absolutely delicious! Unfortunately she died and no one has the the
> recipe. I've no idea what happened to her recipe box.

I'm not much of a cake maker and about the only cake I make (rarely at
that) is carrot cake, but I like pineapple & coconut - so I looked.
The first one that came up isn't what your aunt made - but darn, it
looks delicious! Coconut and pineapple is a match made in heaven for
me.

PINA COLADA CAKE
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,176,...238194,00.html
Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

1 (2 layer size) pkg. extra moist white cake mix
1/4 c. oil
3 eggs
1 c. (8 oz.) sour cream
1 (8 1/2 oz.) can cream of coconut

PINA COLADA FROSTING:

-1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
-1 lb. powdered sugar
-1 tsp. vanilla
-1 (8 1/4 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained well & blotted dry on
paper towel
-Angel Flake Coconut

In large bowl combine cake mix, oil, eggs, sour cream and cream of
coconut and beat. Pour into 2 greased and floured 8" or 9" layer pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when
lightly touched. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Remove and cool completely on
rack. Frost with Pina Colada Frosting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

This recipe is appropriate for this thread as it also used a mix,
instant pudding, and cool whip-- And I'll raise you some maraschino
cherries.<g>

"jmcquown" > wrote:
-snip-

>My aunt made a white cake that called for a can of crushed pineapple. It
>was absolutely delicious! Unfortunately she died and no one has the the
>recipe. I've no idea what happened to her recipe box.

Sound like this?
Hawaiian Wedding Cake
1 white cake mix
2 cans Dole Crushed Pineapple
2 1/2 cups milk
2 instant vanilla puddings
2 cream cheese

16oz whipped cream
walnuts
maraschino cherries
coconut

Bake cake mix in jelly roll pan--- or use (2) 9x13 cakepans
Cool overnight.
Mix pudding, milk & cream cheese.
Drain pineapple *well*-- that means squeezing- don't trust the
colander.
Spread the pineapple on cake.
Cover with creamcheese/pudding mixture
Cover with whipped cream
Garnish with nuts, cherries & coconut
xxxxx

My wife got the recipe from a friend in the 70's. We have it at
least a couple times a year. [If we aren't at a large gathering I
make a 1/2 dozen cupcakes with the other half of the mix. don't
'over-cake' it.<g>

Jim
[oh-- and sf; We've thrown some coconut on this from time to
time.<g>]
[oh0oh-- and Bryan; don't waste your breath]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> On May 31, 8:16 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>
>> ...> On 5/30/2011 3:18 PM,

>> > I've never heard of mixing in canned oranges into a cake batter. That's
>> > new idea. Your recipe is too complicated for me but dumping in a can of
>> > oranges into a cake sounds just nutty enough to work. I will try this.
>> > Thanks.

>> My aunt made a white cake that called for a can of crushed pineapple. It
>> was absolutely delicious! Unfortunately she died and no one has the the
>> recipe. I've no idea what happened to her recipe box.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Was it Hummingbird Cake, a southern favorite? Take a look at a
> Googled recipe -
>
> This reminds me about my grandmama - she put crushed pineapple in
> everything imaginable.
>
> N.

My aunt wasn't from the south. She was born in and died in Ohio. I'm not
sure, other than attending my long ago wedding in Tennessee, she'd ever been
anywhere near the southern U.S. That doesn't mean she couldn't have
gotten the recipe from some southern cook book. I really have no idea. I
do remember the cake was not frosted.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> This recipe is appropriate for this thread as it also used a mix,
> instant pudding, and cool whip-- And I'll raise you some maraschino
> cherries.<g>
>
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
> -snip-
>>>

>>My aunt made a white cake that called for a can of crushed pineapple. It
>>was absolutely delicious! Unfortunately she died and no one has the the
>>recipe. I've no idea what happened to her recipe box.

> Sound like this?
> Hawaiian Wedding Cake
> 1 white cake mix
> 2 cans Dole Crushed Pineapple
> 2 1/2 cups milk
> 2 instant vanilla puddings
> 2 cream cheese
>
> 16oz whipped cream
> walnuts
> maraschino cherries
> coconut
>
> Bake cake mix in jelly roll pan--- or use (2) 9x13 cakepans
> Cool overnight.
> Mix pudding, milk & cream cheese.
> Drain pineapple *well*-- that means squeezing- don't trust the
> colander.
> Spread the pineapple on cake.
> Cover with creamcheese/pudding mixture
> Cover with whipped cream
> Garnish with nuts, cherries & coconut
> xxxxx

It sounds good but it's not the same thing. The pineapple in hers was mixed
right into the batter. And it wasn't topped with anything at all.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 11:32:30 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> [oh-- and sf; We've thrown some coconut on this from time to
> time.<g>]

Heheheh, I'm feeling a cake making mood coming on. Jim, if you have
an old fashioned soda fountain in the area.... next time you get a
hankering for an ice cream soda, try a pineapple soda made with scoops
of coconut ice cream. Oh, man - it goes down smooooth!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 07:50:12 -0700, sf > arranged
random neurons and said:

>On Mon, 30 May 2011 23:18:35 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:
>
>> Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream piled on top. It's going to be in Bill's
>> lunch this week, but I'll forgo the ice cream <g> He can't tell the
>> difference between fresh and frozen, anyway, so why kill yourself
>> paring and de-pitting a fresh peach. Those things are a bugger to pit
>> cleanly, IMHO, and if anyone has a magic bullet for that, I'd love to
>> hear it.

>The only way around it is to find yourself a freestone peach...
>something that seems harder, not easier, to do these days.

Well, that's two votes for freestone peaches. Making mental note,
thanks.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 01:01:16 -1000, dsi1 >
arranged random neurons and said:

>On 5/30/2011 3:18 PM, wrote:
>>
>> Yes, from a box mix.
>>
>> I snagged this recipe off of The Pioneer Woman's website.

>I've never heard of mixing in canned oranges into a cake batter. That's
>a new idea. Your recipe is too complicated for me but dumping in a can
>of oranges into a cake sounds just nutty enough to work. I will try
>this. Thanks.

<snip>

Whole fruit in a cake isn't a new idea. I have a strawberry cake that
uses fresh strawberries both in the cake and the filling. A most
excellent cake which recipe "reads" more difficult than it is.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Strawberry-Coconut Layer Cake

desserts

3 1/4 cups (13 ounces) cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup milk
2/3 cup coconut milk
1 cup (2 sticks) Butter; softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup fresh strawberries; chopped
1/2 cup coconut flakes
filling
1 1/4 cups fresh strawberries; finely chopped
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon plus 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
frosting
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup (1 stick) Butter; softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk, or enough to thin frosting to; desired consistency
2 cups coconut flakes; toasted

1. Heat the oven to 350°F. Grease 2 (9-inch) round springform or
standard cake pans. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
In a separate small bowl, combine the milk and coconut milk. Set
aside.

2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl using an electric
mixer, beat the butter over medium-high speed until creamy. With the
mixer running, gradually add the sugar, beating over high speed until
light and fluffy. Add the egg whites over low speed, one at a time,
until incorporated, scraping the bowl between additions. Beat in the
vanilla, berries and coconut.

3. Alternately beat in the flour and milk mixtures, beating in
one-third of each at a time, until all of the ingredients are
incorporated and a batter is formed.

4. Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Bake until the cakes
are puffed and golden, spring back lightly when touched, and a
toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 30 minutes.

5. Cool the cakes, still in the pans, 15 to 20 minutes on wire racks,
then invert the cakes onto the racks to cool completely.

6. In a medium, heavy saucepan, bring the strawberries, sugar and
cornstarch to a boil. Stir the mixture constantly for 2 to 3 minutes
to thicken, then remove to a bowl to cool completely. This makes about
1 cup filling.

7. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl using a hand
mixer, cream together the cream cheese and butter. With the mixer
running, slowly add the sugar, scraping the bowl as needed. Add a
little milk, as needed, until the frosting is nice and creamy, but not
too thin. Cover and refrigerate until needed.

Cake assembly

Cakes

Frosting

Filling

2 cups toasted coconut flakes

1. Place one cake flat side up on a cake stand or platter. Pipe or
spoon a thin layer of frosting around the outer edge of the top of the
cake; this will keep the filling from spilling out as the cake is
assembled.

2. Spread the filling over the top of the cake in an even, not too
thick layer (you might not use all of the filling; we had about
one-third cup remaining).

3. Gently place the second layer of the cake on top of the first.
Frost the top and sides of the cake with a very thin layer of frosting
to form a crumb coat, then refrigerate or freeze the cake just until
the frosting firms up, about 1 hour.

4. Frost the cake with the remaining frosting, making sure the
frosting is smooth and even. Coat the cake with the toasted coconut.

Notes: L'Angolo Café via Harriet@RFC

Yield: 10 to 12

Preparation Time: 1 1/2

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 07:41:52 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> arranged random neurons and said:

>Was it Hummingbird Cake, a southern favorite? Take a look at a
>Googled recipe -

I just did that, Nancy, and I am *so* going to make that cake! Some of
the ingredients remind me of carrot cake, which this family goes nuts
over, but this family also loves banana bread, sooooo...

>This reminds me about my grandmama - she put crushed pineapple in
>everything imaginable.

And the carrot cake has crushed pineapple in it, too!

Thanks, Nancy,
Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Heheheh, I'm feeling a cake making mood coming on. Jim, if you have
> an old fashioned soda fountain in the area.... next time you get a
> hankering for an ice cream soda, try a pineapple soda made with scoops
> of coconut ice cream. Oh, man - it goes down smooooth!

That's a pina colada soda!

SF you should make the torcolo cake from Umbria "breakfast of Umbrians". My
student made it yesterday and it came out beautifully even though she was a
bit slapdash in the approach. I feared but for nothing. It stays moist a
long time and has olive oil for fat in it, so it's HEALTH FOOD.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> On Mon, 30 May 2011 22:57:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > arranged random neurons and said:
>
> >In article >,
> > Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> >> OTOH, did I tell you I made a peach cobbler today with <drum roll,
> >> please> *frozen peaches*?

> >How was it? Ice cream on top? Floating in cream or half and half?
> >Plain? I've had frozen fruit that's been better than fresh, nothing
> >wrong with that.

> Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream piled on top.

That'd work.

> It's going to be in Bill's
> lunch this week, but I'll forgo the ice cream <g>

Whew! You had me for a second, Squeaks.

> He can't tell the difference between fresh and frozen, anyway, so why
> kill yourself paring and de-pitting a fresh peach. Those things are a
> bugger to pit cleanly, IMHO, and if anyone has a magic bullet for
> that, I'd love to hear it.

> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Make sure you have a freestone variety, for starters. Once the stone is
out, though, I think you need a dang sharp knife to trim the red stuff.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
http://web.me.com/barbschaller, updated May 27, 2011

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 18:05:42 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > Heheheh, I'm feeling a cake making mood coming on. Jim, if you have
> > an old fashioned soda fountain in the area.... next time you get a
> > hankering for an ice cream soda, try a pineapple soda made with scoops
> > of coconut ice cream. Oh, man - it goes down smooooth!

> That's a pina colada soda!

Ha! I never thought of it that way! It doesn't even need rum
although maybe I could sneak some in sometime now that you've put the
idea in my head.

> SF you should make the torcolo cake from Umbria "breakfast of Umbrians". My
> student made it yesterday and it came out beautifully even though she was a
> bit slapdash in the approach. I feared but for nothing. It stays moist a
> long time and has olive oil for fat in it, so it's HEALTH FOOD.

Sounds like I would like it, Giusi! I've wanted to try an olive oil
cake so this will be the one to try... I found the link and thanks for
the "American" measures. Oh, I just have EVOO on hand... should I
buy some regular OO (less flavorful OO) for the cake?
http://www.judithgreenwood.com/think...t-of-umbrians/
Just lemon rind, no juice? I'm a lemon freak, can I sneak some lemon
juice in there too?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 11:09:29 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 30 May 2011 22:57:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > arranged random neurons and said:

>> >How was it? Ice cream on top? Floating in cream or half and half?
>> >Plain? I've had frozen fruit that's been better than fresh, nothing
>> >wrong with that.

>> Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream piled on top.

>That'd work.
>
>> It's going to be in Bill's
>> lunch this week, but I'll forgo the ice cream <g>

>Whew! You had me for a second, Squeaks.
>
>> He can't tell the difference between fresh and frozen, anyway, so why
>> kill yourself paring and de-pitting a fresh peach. Those things are a
>> bugger to pit cleanly, IMHO, and if anyone has a magic bullet for
>> that, I'd love to hear it.

>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

>Make sure you have a freestone variety, for starters. Once the stone is
>out, though, I think you need a dang sharp knife to trim the red stuff.

Then it doesn't matter a lick whether freestone or cling... I think
clings in general have peachier flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 May 2011 20:19:12 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> On Mon, 30 May 2011 18:26:02 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > arranged random neurons and said:
>
>>On May 30, 8:18*pm, wrote:
>>> Yes, from a box mix.
>>>
>>> I snagged this recipe off of The Pioneer Woman's website.
>>>
>>> I need a recipe that I can make several pans of to serve 40 people and
>>> this one fits the bill.
>>>
>>> Today thought I'd do a test run and it is quick, easy and delicious.
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/koko181/5778704320/
>>>
>>> Step by step is on my blog if interested.
>>>
>>> Here's the recipe ;-)
>>>
>>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>>
>>> Pig Cake
>>>
>>> cakes, desserts
>>>
>>> 1 *FOR THE CAKE
>>> 1 box (18.25 oz. box yellow cake mix
>>> 1 stick margarine (softened)
>>> 1 can (14 oz. can) mandarin oranges, drained, 1/2 cup; juice reserved
>>> 4 whole eggs
>>> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>>> 1 *FOR THE FROSTING
>>> 1 package (4 oz. box vanilla instant pudding mix
>>> 1 can (20 oz. can) crushed pineapple, juice reserved
>>> 1/2 cup powdered sugar
>>> 4 fluid ounces frozen whipped topping; such as cool whip
>>>

>>Perfect food for a PIG. Crappy ingredients, and a recipe that I'm
>>sure Sandra Lee would endorse. Only a pig of a person would call that
>>cooking. You are a pig.

> Bwahahahaaa!! You called it, Koko! I owe you ten bucks, dammit. I
> didn't think he'd jump at the bait that fast. OTOH, did I tell you I
> made a peach cobbler today with <drum roll, please> *frozen peaches*?
>
> Oh, the humanity!! <snort!>
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

bobo is just like a frog leg muscle when electricity is applied. he jerks
and twitches, independent of any thought.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 12:50:33 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Then it doesn't matter a lick whether freestone or cling... I think
> clings in general have peachier flavor.

If you'd said yellow peaches taste peachier than white peaches, I
could have agreed with you. Cling vs. freestone... nope.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio

Oh, I just have EVOO on hand... should I
> buy some regular OO (less flavorful OO) for the cake?

No use the good stuff cuz the taste is part of the punch.

http://www.judithgreenwood.com/think...t-of-umbrians/
> Just lemon rind, no juice? I'm a lemon freak, can I sneak some lemon
> juice in there too?

No juice. Once you've made the real thing, you can play around, but this is
a classic and it keeps, precisely because it has balanced oil and moisture.
Women make those and they last and last, the tag ends are sometimes used
instead of savoiardi for tiramisu.

This is a small recipe which I cook in a bundt pan, but tou can use a
cheesecake pan with the tube insert, too. Some of these are enormous,
10-14" in diameter and weighing in at pounds. Big families, lots of
breakfasts. Snacks. Hidden gobbles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 19:08:53 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> Oh, I just have EVOO on hand... should I
> > buy some regular OO (less flavorful OO) for the cake?
> >

> No use the good stuff cuz the taste is part of the punch.
>
> http://www.judithgreenwood.com/think...t-of-umbrians/
> > Just lemon rind, no juice? I'm a lemon freak, can I sneak some lemon
> > juice in there too?

> No juice. Once you've made the real thing, you can play around, but this is
> a classic and it keeps, precisely because it has balanced oil and moisture.

OK.

> Women make those and they last and last, the tag ends are sometimes used
> instead of savoiardi for tiramisu.

Aha... great idea to use the end for tiramisu! My family loves that,
so if I have leftovers - I'll look for a recipe, didn't see one on
your blog.

> This is a small recipe which I cook in a bundt pan, but tou can use a
> cheesecake pan with the tube insert, too. Some of these are enormous,
> 10-14" in diameter and weighing in at pounds. Big families, lots of
> breakfasts. Snacks. Hidden gobbles.

I'd have to search for the bundt pan... but I know exactly where my
angel food cake pan is, so I'll use that. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2011 3:16 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> I've never heard of mixing in canned oranges into a cake batter.
>> That's a new idea. Your recipe is too complicated for me but dumping
>> in a can of oranges into a cake sounds just nutty enough to work. I
>> will try this. Thanks.
>>

> My aunt made a white cake that called for a can of crushed pineapple. It
> was absolutely delicious! Unfortunately she died and no one has the the
> recipe. I've no idea what happened to her recipe box.
>
> Jill

My mom had a recipe box although she wasn't much of a baker or follower
of recipes. I guess everybody had one back then. Interesting stuff in
there. Hand-written index cards and newspaper/magazine clippings - some
loose and some pasted onto index cards. Those were the days when people
really did cut 'n paste. Sometimes there would be some small, loose,
items that for some reason needed to be saved, like a milk cap. My guess
is that some of these can be a magnificent mixed-media work of folk art.
It's an art that's out of fashion. We can fit all the recipes one could
ever want on a single flash drive these days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2011 5:58 AM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2011 01:01:16 -1000, >
> arranged random neurons and said:
>
>> On 5/30/2011 3:18 PM, wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, from a box mix.
>>>
>>> I snagged this recipe off of The Pioneer Woman's website.

>> I've never heard of mixing in canned oranges into a cake batter. That's
>> a new idea. Your recipe is too complicated for me but dumping in a can
>> of oranges into a cake sounds just nutty enough to work. I will try
>> this. Thanks.

> <snip>
>
> Whole fruit in a cake isn't a new idea. I have a strawberry cake that
> uses fresh strawberries both in the cake and the filling. A most
> excellent cake which recipe "reads" more difficult than it is.

Sounds like a great cake. Interesting that it uses coconut milk. Most
cake recipes will be difficult for me because I rarely use recipes.
Mostly I have a hard time following directions. Thanks!

> [...]
> assembled.
>
> 2. Spread the filling over the top of the cake in an even, not too
> thick layer (you might not use all of the filling; we had about
> one-third cup remaining).
>
> 3. Gently place the second layer of the cake on top of the first.
> Frost the top and sides of the cake with a very thin layer of frosting
> to form a crumb coat, then refrigerate or freeze the cake just until
> the frosting firms up, about 1 hour.
>
> 4. Frost the cake with the remaining frosting, making sure the
> frosting is smooth and even. Coat the cake with the toasted coconut.
>
> Notes: L'Angolo Café via Harriet@RFC
>
> Yield: 10 to 12
>
> Preparation Time: 1 1/2
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --
>
> To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 08:49:04 -0700, sf > arranged
random neurons and said:

>On Tue, 31 May 2011 11:32:30 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>wrote:
>
>> [oh-- and sf; We've thrown some coconut on this from time to
>> time.<g>]

>Heheheh, I'm feeling a cake making mood coming on. Jim, if you have
>an old fashioned soda fountain in the area.... next time you get a
>hankering for an ice cream soda, try a pineapple soda made with scoops
>of coconut ice cream. Oh, man - it goes down smooooth!

Speaking of "old fashioned soda fountain," whatever happened to
phosphates? When I was a kid (I believe it was during Millard
Filmore's administration), my grandmother used to take me into town
and deposit me at a (real compounding) pharmacy that also had a real
old fashioned soda fountain while she shopped. One of my favorite
requests was for a cherry phosphate. IIRC, it's really just club soda,
cherry syrup and something (lemon?), but I loved it. I've not seen it
offered since I was a teenager.

And do Toddle Houses still exist? I used to love their chocolate cream
pie that, to adult taste buds would no doubt be cloying, but as an 8
year old, that was haute cuisine.

Did I mention my mother was a lousy cook?

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 10:05:27 -0700, sf > arranged
random neurons and said:

>If you'd said yellow peaches taste peachier than white peaches, I
>could have agreed with you. Cling vs. freestone... nope.

The white peaches I can get locally are just like the "individual"
watermelons: don't taste like much of anything. Yellow peaches,
OTOH...

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2011 11:11:02 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> arranged random neurons and said:

>You don't pare them, you slip the skins after blanching for a minute in
>boiling water. Then into cold water, then slip the skin.

I *know* that, Miz Smartypants! But "paring" can be keyboarded faster
that blanch-the-peaches-then-peel-the-skins-off and conveys the same
idea. Feh!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 31 May 2011 18:05:42 +0200, "Giusi" >
>wrote:

-snip-

>> SF you should make the torcolo cake from Umbria "breakfast of Umbrians". My
>> student made it yesterday and it came out beautifully even though she was a
>> bit slapdash in the approach. I feared but for nothing. It stays moist a
>> long time and has olive oil for fat in it, so it's HEALTH FOOD.

-snip-
>http://www.judithgreenwood.com/think...t-of-umbrians/
>Just lemon rind, no juice? I'm a lemon freak, can I sneak some lemon
>juice in there too?

Umbrians are a lot after me own heart, apparently-

Re; Breakfast of Umbrians- *cake* -- but that isn't enough. ..
This bit helps-- a no-nonsense way of storing cake;
"If it starts to dry out, which it does because it is stored with only
a clean napkin or kitchen towel to keep flies off it "
But it was the next line that made me respect the Umbrian masses;
"they dip it into sweet wine, like vin santo or into whatever liquor
they’re drinking. "

It is too hot to bake this afternoon-- but I think instead of mowing
the lawn I'm going to turn up the AC & bake this to accompany my
watermelon/rhubarb sorbet this evening. . . and my coffee [or wine?]
tomorrow morning.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 31, 10:13*am, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2011 07:57:17 -0700, wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 May 2011 20:19:12 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> > > wrote:

> > >Bwahahahaaa!! You called it, Koko! I owe you ten bucks, dammit. I
> > >didn't think he'd jump at the bait that fast.

> > It's a gift I tell ya, a gift

> Was it a real recipe or did you make it up?

If she was just baiting me, I made sure not to disappoint. It looks
like it cost Terry $10. What EXACTLY was the wager? What's funny is
that there are people here responding as if that were a decent excuse
for a recipe. You should feel complimented because I also wrote of
you, "she actually knows how to cook decently."

--Bryan