Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '07 Dashe Zinfandel "L'Enfant Terrible"

Tonight, with a makeshift dinner of (leftover) venison fajitas, I opened:

2007 Dashe Zinfadel Potter Valley "L'Enfant Terrible" ($22)
nose: grapefruit, pencil lead, bright red fruits
palate: medium body, acidity, cherry fruit, pencil lead

When she first tasted this wine, Jean exclmained
"what...a...great...wine" in just those terms, followed by "we've got to
gets lots of this." Her initial enthusiasm died down a bit, but both of
us were quite taken with this very unique expression of Zinfandel.
Coming across like a Beaujolais initially, it had varietal character,
but in a very different package. In certain regards, it reminded me the
most of a barrel sample, but with airing the wine took on extra depth
and rounded out, becoming quite a bit more Zin-like. Interestingly, the
nose had a butterscotch note an hour after opening. I predict that this
wine will evolve in interesting ways over the next few years, and should
reward some cellaring. I will hang onto my one remaining bottle of this
for just that reason.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '07 Dashe Zinfandel "L'Enfant Terrible"

On Dec 6, 10:34 am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Tonight, with a makeshift dinner of (leftover) venison fajitas, I opened:
>
> 2007 Dashe Zinfadel Potter Valley "L'Enfant Terrible" ($22)
> nose: grapefruit, pencil lead, bright red fruits
> palate: medium body, acidity, cherry fruit, pencil lead
>
> When she first tasted this wine, Jean exclmained
> "what...a...great...wine" in just those terms, followed by "we've got to
> gets lots of this." Her initial enthusiasm died down a bit, but both of
> us were quite taken with this very unique expression of Zinfandel.
> Coming across like a Beaujolais initially, it had varietal character,
> but in a very different package. In certain regards, it reminded me the
> most of a barrel sample, but with airing the wine took on extra depth
> and rounded out, becoming quite a bit more Zin-like. Interestingly, the
> nose had a butterscotch note an hour after opening. I predict that this
> wine will evolve in interesting ways over the next few years, and should
> reward some cellaring. I will hang onto my one remaining bottle of this
> for just that reason.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Interesting note Mark - I had this recently at a tasting dinner where
I found it a little simple and one-dimensional with some obtrusive
alcohol on the back. The nature of that evening meant I couldn't sit
down and explore many of the wines with time, so I didn't get a chance
to see how it showed with some air and food. Sounds very enjoyable
though - I may need to give this another chance. (PS: Venison fajitas
- nice!)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 5, 9:34�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Tonight, with a makeshift dinner of (leftover) venison fajitas, I opened:
>
> 2007 Dashe Zinfadel Potter Valley "L'Enfant Terrible" ($22)
> nose: grapefruit, pencil lead, bright red fruits
> palate: medium body, acidity, cherry fruit, pencil lead
>
> When she first tasted this wine, Jean exclmained
> "what...a...great...wine" in just those terms, followed by "we've got to
> gets lots of this." �Her initial enthusiasm died down a bit, but both of
> us were quite taken with this very unique expression of Zinfandel.
> Coming across like a Beaujolais initially, it had varietal character,
> but in a very different package. �In certain regards, it reminded me the
> most of a barrel sample, but with airing the wine took on extra depth
> and rounded out, becoming quite a bit more Zin-like. �Interestingly, the
> nose had a butterscotch note an hour after opening. �I predict that this
> wine will evolve in interesting ways over the next few years, and should
> reward some cellaring. �I will hang onto my one remaining bottle of this
> for just that reason.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Thanks for update. I liked this too, though it's scarcely a classic
Zin profile
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

> Tonight, with a makeshift dinner of (leftover) venison fajitas, I opened:
>
> 2007 Dashe Zinfadel Potter Valley "L'Enfant Terrible" ($22)
> nose: grapefruit, pencil lead, bright red fruits
> palate: medium body, acidity, cherry fruit, pencil lead
>
> When she first tasted this wine, Jean exclmained
> "what...a...great...wine" in just those terms, followed by "we've got to
> gets lots of this." Her initial enthusiasm died down a bit, but both of
> us were quite taken with this very unique expression of Zinfandel.
> Coming across like a Beaujolais initially, it had varietal character,
> but in a very different package. In certain regards, it reminded me the
> most of a barrel sample, but with airing the wine took on extra depth
> and rounded out, becoming quite a bit more Zin-like. Interestingly, the
> nose had a butterscotch note an hour after opening. I predict that this
> wine will evolve in interesting ways over the next few years, and should
> reward some cellaring. I will hang onto my one remaining bottle of this
> for just that reason.
>
> Mark Lipton

I have one bottle of this wine in the cabinet and am looking for the
right meal to match. No venison in my freezer though.