Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Need suggestion for no salt and extremely low salt recipes

Krypsis > wrote:

>Rank beginner level best describes me.
>
>Today, whilst wandering through our local supermarket, I saw a machine
>breadmaking kit. It contained all the ingredients to make 7 x 700 gram
>loaves of various types. Seemed like a gentle way to ease into the art
>of breadmaking so I bought one. Supposedly, these are low salt loaves.
>
>http://www.snk.com.au/html/s13_shopp...=8&nav_top_id=

You'll learn absolutely nothing from box bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/05/2011 10:22 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > wrote:
>>
>> Rank beginner level best describes me.
>>
>> Today, whilst wandering through our local supermarket, I saw a machine
>> breadmaking kit. It contained all the ingredients to make 7 x 700 gram
>> loaves of various types. Seemed like a gentle way to ease into the art
>> of breadmaking so I bought one. Supposedly, these are low salt loaves.
>>
>> http://www.snk.com.au/html/s13_shopp...=8&nav_top_id=

> You'll learn absolutely nothing from box bread.

But it will get me using the machine. Once I get the hang of the
machine, then I will start to mix up my own from appropriate recipes.
There are quite a few websites out there that provide advice on this.

Got to crawl before we walk.

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 May 2011 22:33:49 +1000, Krypsis >
wrote:

>On 23/05/2011 10:22 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>> Rank beginner level best describes me.
>>>
>>> Today, whilst wandering through our local supermarket, I saw a machine
>>> breadmaking kit. It contained all the ingredients to make 7 x 700 gram
>>> loaves of various types. Seemed like a gentle way to ease into the art
>>> of breadmaking so I bought one. Supposedly, these are low salt loaves.
>>>
>>> http://www.snk.com.au/html/s13_shopp...=8&nav_top_id=

>> You'll learn absolutely nothing from box bread.

>But it will get me using the machine. Once I get the hang of the
>machine, then I will start to mix up my own from appropriate recipes.
>There are quite a few websites out there that provide advice on this.
>
>Got to crawl before we walk.
>
>Krypsis

Hey Krypsis, I've had my bread machine for a few years now. When I
first got it, I made my first loaf of bread, ever, from a recipe and
it turned out perfectly. You'll do fine. Keeping the dough ball the
right consistency is the only *tricky* part. Drizzle either more flour
or more water in by the drop until the dough ball is moving around the
paddle well.

Make sure you brace the bread machine somehow. Mine has *walked*
itself all the way to the edge of the counter a couple times. I barely
saved it.

Good luck!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/05/2011 8:23 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>> Rank beginner level best describes me.
>>>
>>> Today, whilst wandering through our local supermarket, I saw a
>>> machine breadmaking kit. It contained all the ingredients to make 7
>>> x 700 gram loaves of various types. Seemed like a gentle way to
>>> ease into the art of breadmaking so I bought one. Supposedly, these
>>> are low salt loaves.
>>>
>>> http://www.snk.com.au/html/s13_shopp...sp?id=135&nav_
>>> cat_id=8&nav_top_id=

>> You'll learn absolutely nothing from box bread.

> Thats not true. If he's never seen bread made and has no real idea of
> 'rise' then they can be handy teaching tools. The main problem with
> them is they tend to cost more than store bread and if expired yeast is
> in there (or a hot truck was used to transport) they may not work.

You mean I can blame someone else if it doesn't work? What a save!

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Krypsis" > ha scritto nel messaggio
cshenk wrote:

The main problem with
>> them is they tend to cost more than store bread and if expired yeast is
>> in there (or a hot truck was used to transport) they may not work.
>>

> You mean I can blame someone else if it doesn't work? What a save!

Seriously, the main problem for beginners is usually patience. My mother
never made really good bread although she was a champion at much more
difficult foods. She just wouldn't leave it to rise enough. She pushed it,
pulled it and cooked it anyway.