Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Update of Apple Strudel Recipe

I didn't get a chance to make the apple strudel I posted a few days
ago until today. (I was frog marched to a Rod Stewart/Stevie Nicks
concert at the Hollywood Bowl Sunday night. Completely against my
will, of course. I'd much rather have been home making this &*^$&^@*!!
studel.) If you're inclined to make it, here's the update:

You can *easily* either cut the apple filling by half or make two
strudels - maybe 3. I think I could have stretched it to a third
strudel, but I'd pretty much lost interest in the project after the
second one. (Rod and Stevie also made me drink way too much bad
champagne*. Again, completely against my will.)

*Damned venue won't let you bring in your own bubbly. Ya gotta buy
their crap.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...still singing, "If you want my body and
you think I'm sexy..." W00t! W00t!

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 9:46*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> I didn't get a chance to make the apple strudel I posted a few days
> ago until today. (I was frog marched to a Rod Stewart/Stevie Nicks
> concert at the Hollywood Bowl Sunday night. Completely against my
> will, of course. I'd much rather have been home making this &*^$&^@*!!
> studel.) If you're inclined to make it, here's the update:
>
> You can *easily* either cut the apple filling by half or make two
> strudels - maybe 3. I think I could have stretched it to a third
> strudel, but I'd pretty much lost interest in the project after the
> second one. (Rod and Stevie also made me drink way too much bad
> champagne*. Again, completely against my will.)
>
> *Damned venue won't let you bring in your own bubbly. Ya gotta buy
> their crap.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...still singing, "If you want my body and
> you think I'm sexy..." W00t! W00t!
>
> --
>
> To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

My Mom, Grandmother, Aunt, used to make strudel when I was a kid.
They made the Austro-Hungarian style with many many layers of dough.
They made poppy seed with cherry strudel, cabbage strudel, cottage
cheese strudel, squash strudel, potato strudel, walnut strudel etc.
Good stuff, but a lot of labour. They used to stretch the dough over
the dining room table. It was very thin. I liked them all, but my
favourite was squash strudel. They never made apple strudel.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 7:11*pm, Portland > wrote:
> On Apr 18, 9:46*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>

> > I didn't get a chance to make the apple strudel I posted a few days
> > ago until today. (I was frog marched to a Rod Stewart/Stevie Nicks
> > concert at the Hollywood Bowl Sunday night. Completely against my
> > will, of course. I'd much rather have been home making this &*^$&^@*!!
> > studel.) If you're inclined to make it, here's the update:

> > You can *easily* either cut the apple filling by half or make two
> > strudels - maybe 3. I think I could have stretched it to a third
> > strudel, but I'd pretty much lost interest in the project after the
> > second one. (Rod and Stevie also made me drink way too much bad
> > champagne*. Again, completely against my will.)

Next time you make one, use two or three different apples, btw. Granny
Smiths get annoying if that's all there is.

> My Mom, Grandmother, Aunt, used to make strudel when I was a kid.
> They made the Austro-Hungarian style with many many layers of dough.
> They made poppy seed with cherry strudel, cabbage strudel, cottage
> cheese strudel, squash strudel, potato strudel, walnut strudel etc.
> Good stuff, but a lot of labour. *They used to stretch the dough over
> the dining room table. *It was very thin. *I liked them all, but my
> favourite was squash strudel. *They never made apple strudel.

My grandmother made two things she called strudel: the thin dough
fruit strudel (apple or cherry), and the thick dough walnut or poppy
seed strudel. Hungarians seem to really go for the second kind,
especially at Christmas time.

Come to think of it, she might have made cabbage strudel for us once
upon a time.

Fall Harvest Apple-Raspberry Strudel WindyCityPrince General Cooking 0 18-10-2008 05:51 AM
Apple Strudel Pastry Duckie ® Recipes 0 06-12-2005 03:44 AM
Apple Strudel Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-11-2005 04:15 PM
Apple Strudel (Apfelstrudel) Elaine Ackerman Recipes (moderated) 0 05-01-2004 04:18 PM
Apple Strudel Kevin Recipes 1 14-10-2003 04:22 AM