Posted to rec.food.cooking
Portland Portland is offline

Default Update of Apple Strudel Recipe

On Apr 18, 9:46*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> I didn't get a chance to make the apple strudel I posted a few days
> ago until today. (I was frog marched to a Rod Stewart/Stevie Nicks
> concert at the Hollywood Bowl Sunday night. Completely against my
> will, of course. I'd much rather have been home making this &*^$&^@*!!
> studel.) If you're inclined to make it, here's the update:
>
> You can *easily* either cut the apple filling by half or make two
> strudels - maybe 3. I think I could have stretched it to a third
> strudel, but I'd pretty much lost interest in the project after the
> second one. (Rod and Stevie also made me drink way too much bad
> champagne*. Again, completely against my will.)
>
> *Damned venue won't let you bring in your own bubbly. Ya gotta buy
> their crap.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...still singing, "If you want my body and
> you think I'm sexy..." W00t! W00t!
>
> --
>
> To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

My Mom, Grandmother, Aunt, used to make strudel when I was a kid.
They made the Austro-Hungarian style with many many layers of dough.
They made poppy seed with cherry strudel, cabbage strudel, cottage
cheese strudel, squash strudel, potato strudel, walnut strudel etc.
Good stuff, but a lot of labour. They used to stretch the dough over
the dining room table. It was very thin. I liked them all, but my
favourite was squash strudel. They never made apple strudel.