Holly

Default Thickening sauces?

How would one go about thickening a cream/butter based sauce (chicken
piccata)? I've tried the equal parts butter/flour technique, but it
still doesn't have the consistency I'd like. I did write the recipie
myself, so the fault may be in that.

Holly > wrote:
> How would one go about thickening a cream/butter based sauce (chicken
> piccata)? I've tried the equal parts butter/flour technique, but it
> still doesn't have the consistency I'd like. I did write the recipie
> myself, so the fault may be in that.

Try cooking the sauce on a low heat until it reduces
to the consistency you prefer.

Holly > wrote:
> How would one go about thickening a cream/butter based sauce (chicken
> piccata)? I've tried the equal parts butter/flour technique, but it
> still doesn't have the consistency I'd like. I did write the recipie
> myself, so the fault may be in that.

Try cooking the sauce on a low heat until it reduces
to the consistency you prefer.

Mark Thorson

Holly wrote:

> How would one go about thickening a cream/butter based sauce
> (chicken piccata)?

Add a little cornstarch? Arrowroot? Those are common
thickeners for sauces.

jmcquown

Holly wrote:
> How would one go about thickening a cream/butter based sauce (chicken
> piccata)? I've tried the equal parts butter/flour technique, but it
> still doesn't have the consistency I'd like. I did write the recipie
> myself, so the fault may be in that.

1 tsp. cornstarch with a little water, and you'd be surprised how little
cornstarch it takes to dissolve in water. Arrowroot accomplishes the same
thing but costs more. Neither one adds an off taste to sauce like
undercooked flour can tend to do.

Jill

jmcquown

Holly wrote:
> How would one go about thickening a cream/butter based sauce (chicken
> piccata)? I've tried the equal parts butter/flour technique, but it
> still doesn't have the consistency I'd like. I did write the recipie
> myself, so the fault may be in that.

1 tsp. cornstarch with a little water, and you'd be surprised how little
cornstarch it takes to dissolve in water. Arrowroot accomplishes the same
thing but costs more. Neither one adds an off taste to sauce like
undercooked flour can tend to do.

Jill

Holly

Thank you. I'm new at this whole cooking bit, only being in high
school, and it annoys me that the useful stuff like this isn't on
cooking shows. I really appreciate the help, all of you who responded,
not just Jill.

Holly

Thank you. I'm new at this whole cooking bit, being in high school,
and it's good to know little things like that. I really appreciate all
your help, everyone, not just Jill.

PENMART01

> "Holly"
>
>How would one go about thickening a cream/butter based sauce (chicken
>piccata)? I've tried the equal parts butter/flour technique, but it
>still doesn't have the consistency I'd like. I did write the recipie
>myself, so the fault may be in that.

I guess since you wrote the recipe yourself you must think of it as a
proprietary secret... or you would have posted your recipe so certain folks
wouldn't need to further indulge in making dang foolish asses of themselves
with wild speculation... um, the kitchen pinheads who suggested adding yet more
starchy thickener. There is no starchy thickener other than a small bit of
flour used for dusting the meat in veal piccata (or chicken), the sauce (of
fond, liquid, fat) is thickened by reduction... the sauce should be fairly
thin... the dusting flour can even be totally omited. A very high output
burner is required to properly prepare this dish, with the entire dish cooked
from begining to end under full power... requiring no more than three minutes.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

> "Holly"
>
>How would one go about thickening a cream/butter based sauce (chicken
>piccata)? I've tried the equal parts butter/flour technique, but it
>still doesn't have the consistency I'd like. I did write the recipie
>myself, so the fault may be in that.

I guess since you wrote the recipe yourself you must think of it as a
proprietary secret... or you would have posted your recipe so certain folks
wouldn't need to further indulge in making dang foolish asses of themselves
with wild speculation... um, the kitchen pinheads who suggested adding yet more
starchy thickener. There is no starchy thickener other than a small bit of
flour used for dusting the meat in veal piccata (or chicken), the sauce (of
fond, liquid, fat) is thickened by reduction... the sauce should be fairly
thin... the dusting flour can even be totally omited. A very high output
burner is required to properly prepare this dish, with the entire dish cooked
from begining to end under full power... requiring no more than three minutes.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Jessica V.

Holly wrote:

> How would one go about thickening a cream/butter based sauce (chicken
> piccata)? I've tried the equal parts butter/flour technique, but it
> still doesn't have the consistency I'd like. I did write the recipie
> myself, so the fault may be in that.

When I make chicken piccata I dredge the chicken in flour mixed with the
seasonings before cooking it. It helps to thicken up the sauce, and
since the flour has been cooked keeps the gluey taste at bay. Chicken
piccata was one of the first "fancy" things that I cooked when I was a
teenager. It was a thrill to be allowed to cook with wine.

Jessica
D. A.'Dutch' Martinich

"Holly" > wrote in message roups.com>...
> How would one go about thickening a cream/butter based sauce (chicken
> piccata)? I've tried the equal parts butter/flour technique, but it
> still doesn't have the consistency I'd like. I did write the recipie
> myself, so the fault may be in that.

When I've made a butter-cream sauce, it's always been with some kind
of pasta. This means that I could add pasta water and grated cheese
to the sauce which has a real effect on the consistency. What you are
doing is making an emulsion when you mix all together. If you can
practice a bit you will see what I mean. Start with very small
amounts of water until it starts to cream and then add cheese to
thicken more. Good luck-
D.M.
Nexis

"Holly" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> How would one go about thickening a cream/butter based sauce (chicken
> piccata)? I've tried the equal parts butter/flour technique, but it
> still doesn't have the consistency I'd like. I did write the recipie
> myself, so the fault may be in that.

What is the recipe? Is it too thin when you use the butter/flour combo? Are
you making a roux or a buerre manier? How long did you cook it after adding
the thickeners?

It would help alot to know your recipe. Piccata is usually not thickened
with any other additions...the flour used to dredge the chicken usually
thickens the sauce. What consistency are you looking for?

I don't really use a recipe. I dredge the pounded breasts in seasoned flour
(salt, white pepper, paprika) and sauté in olive oil, then remove from the
pan, and remove most of the remaining olive oil. Add chicken broth and
simmer, scraping all the bits from the pan. Add lemon juice, and return
chicken to the pan. Add lemon slices. The sauce reduces and thickens. I
don't like capers, so sometimes I leave them out, but if I'm making it for
others, I add them. That's about it.

kimberly

Nexis

"Holly" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> How would one go about thickening a cream/butter based sauce (chicken
> piccata)? I've tried the equal parts butter/flour technique, but it
> still doesn't have the consistency I'd like. I did write the recipie
> myself, so the fault may be in that.

What is the recipe? Is it too thin when you use the butter/flour combo? Are
you making a roux or a buerre manier? How long did you cook it after adding
the thickeners?

It would help alot to know your recipe. Piccata is usually not thickened
with any other additions...the flour used to dredge the chicken usually
thickens the sauce. What consistency are you looking for?

I don't really use a recipe. I dredge the pounded breasts in seasoned flour
(salt, white pepper, paprika) and sauté in olive oil, then remove from the
pan, and remove most of the remaining olive oil. Add chicken broth and
simmer, scraping all the bits from the pan. Add lemon juice, and return
chicken to the pan. Add lemon slices. The sauce reduces and thickens. I
don't like capers, so sometimes I leave them out, but if I'm making it for
others, I add them. That's about it.

kimberly

Holly

Well, my recipie is very, very simple, just based on the taste of the
piccata at our local fine Italian eaterie. I experimented until I
reproduced the taste, if not the recipie.
I really don't use exact measurements (which I suppose would be a great
habit to get into), but here's about what I do.
1 lb. chicken breast, pounded or tenders cut
1 stick butter or margarine
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup capers
2 pints heavy whipping cream
Melt butter in saucepan, add cream and lemon juice. Heat until
thouroughly mixed. Add capers (I use the accompanying juice). (as of
the last time, add flour/butter until thick, but not really)
Put lightly salted/peppered chicken breasts in casserole dish, pour 3/4
sauce over chicken, taking care to get capers in the dish. Cook for 45
minutes in 350 degree preheated oven.
I also like serving it over spinach spaghetti.
I don't flour my chicken first. Would that fix things?

Andrew H. Carter

On 25 Oct 2004 11:20:48 -0700, "Holly"
> scribbled some thoughts:

NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font

>How would one go about thickening a cream/butter based sauce (chicken
>piccata)? I've tried the equal parts butter/flour technique, but it
>still doesn't have the consistency I'd like. I did write the recipie
>myself, so the fault may be in that.

Have you tried cornstarch? Since you are using a dairy
based sauce, have you tried/considered cheese? Parmesan?

--
Sincerely, | (©) (©)
| ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
Andrew H. Carter | /// \\\
d(-_-)b |
Andrew H. Carter

On 25 Oct 2004 11:20:48 -0700, "Holly"
> scribbled some thoughts:

NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font

>How would one go about thickening a cream/butter based sauce (chicken
>piccata)? I've tried the equal parts butter/flour technique, but it
>still doesn't have the consistency I'd like. I did write the recipie
>myself, so the fault may be in that.

Have you tried cornstarch? Since you are using a dairy
based sauce, have you tried/considered cheese? Parmesan?

--
Sincerely, | (©) (©)
| ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
Andrew H. Carter | /// \\\
d(-_-)b |
Josh

Holly wrote:

>Thank you. I'm new at this whole cooking bit, only being in high
>school, and it annoys me that the useful stuff like this isn't on
>cooking shows.

If you have Food Network, you might check out Good Eats. The host, Alton Brown,
spends a lot of time on the basics and explains the hows and whys of cooking.
Josh

Holly wrote:

>Thank you. I'm new at this whole cooking bit, only being in high
>school, and it annoys me that the useful stuff like this isn't on
>cooking shows.

If you have Food Network, you might check out Good Eats. The host, Alton Brown,
spends a lot of time on the basics and explains the hows and whys of cooking.
Holly

Josh wrote:
<If you have Food Network, you might check out Good Eats. The host,
<Alton Brown,
<spends a lot of time on the basics and explains the hows and whys of
cooking.

I watch Alton whenever I can. He's definitely my cooking show
favorite. I don't catch him that often though. Beats the crap out of
Emiril "bam" Lagasse and Rachael "evoo" Rae. Ugh.

Holly

Tony P. wrote:
<What should annoy you more is that they never teach basic cooking
skills
<in high school.

I could take "Cooking Dynamics". Once a week I and my group would bake
cookies or something. What an absolute load of crap.