Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default thickening for stew liquid?

I am thinking to try making a chicken stew from chicken and non-carby
vegetables (celery, onion, tomato, green beans, cauliflower), would almond
meal work as a thickener? Or if not, what do you guys suggest?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ellen K. > wrote:
: I am thinking to try making a chicken stew from chicken and non-carby
: vegetables (celery, onion, tomato, green beans, cauliflower), would almond
: meal work as a thickener? Or if not, what do you guys suggest?

I don't bother to thicken the stew, just have it with thin juice. I do
the same with meat and turkey ro chicken gravies for roast bird or beef.

If ou are plannign to make a chicken stew, i woudl recommend using dark
meat as it doesn't get that dried out quality that chicken breast gets
with wet cooking.

I used to make a fairly simple chicken stew type dish using onions, green
peppers, mushrooms(if I had some) , any left over wine, if available adn
caned tomatoes. One of those not measuring recipes. I found that bone-in
chicken thighs were best, but would also make it with an 8 piece chicken.
It didn't take that long to cook, nowhere as long as a beef or other red
meat stew. Reheted just fine too. Great for Friday night, but too wet for
Saturday lunch.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." > wrote in message
> I am thinking to try making a chicken stew from chicken and non-carby
> vegetables (celery, onion, tomato, green beans, cauliflower), would
> almond meal work as a thickener? Or if not, what do you guys
> suggest?

Just use the veggies themselves. Cauliflower and broccoli can be pureed
or semi pureed. Leave some chunky veggies for texture.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ellen K. > wrote:
> : I am thinking to try making a chicken stew from chicken and
> non-carby
> : vegetables (celery, onion, tomato, green beans, cauliflower), would
> almond
> : meal work as a thickener? Or if not, what do you guys suggest?
>
> I don't bother to thicken the stew, just have it with thin juice. I
> do
> the same with meat and turkey ro chicken gravies for roast bird or
> beef.

Same here.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ellen K. > wrote:
> : I am thinking to try making a chicken stew from chicken and non-carby
> : vegetables (celery, onion, tomato, green beans, cauliflower), would
> almond
> : meal work as a thickener? Or if not, what do you guys suggest?
>
> I don't bother to thicken the stew, just have it with thin juice. I do
> the same with meat and turkey ro chicken gravies for roast bird or beef.
>
> If ou are plannign to make a chicken stew, i woudl recommend using dark
> meat as it doesn't get that dried out quality that chicken breast gets
> with wet cooking.
>
> I used to make a fairly simple chicken stew type dish using onions, green
> peppers, mushrooms(if I had some) , any left over wine, if available adn
> caned tomatoes. One of those not measuring recipes. I found that bone-in
> chicken thighs were best, but would also make it with an 8 piece chicken.
> It didn't take that long to cook, nowhere as long as a beef or other red
> meat stew. Reheted just fine too. Great for Friday night, but too wet for
> Saturday lunch.

I don't usually thicken my stew either. I grew up eating the kind that
isn't thickened. However, my mom always made her stew on top of the stove
and I usually do it in the crockpot. Sometimes in the crockpot their will
be more liquid than I like. Then I stir in a small amount of instant potato
flakes. Not low carb, but since I don't use a lot, it doesn't add a lot to
the carb count. But mostly I just try to use a small amount of liquid to
start with and that cuts down on the problem.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks to all who responded. The stick blender sounds like the way to go.
Any favorite or hated brands / models ?

"Ellen K." > wrote in message
>I am thinking to try making a chicken stew from chicken and non-carby
>vegetables (celery, onion, tomato, green beans, cauliflower), would almond
>meal work as a thickener? Or if not, what do you guys suggest?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Ellen K. > wrote:
: > : I am thinking to try making a chicken stew from chicken and non-carby
: > : vegetables (celery, onion, tomato, green beans, cauliflower), would
: > almond
: > : meal work as a thickener? Or if not, what do you guys suggest?
: >
[...]

Before I had diabetes I used to use the instant poatatos also to thicken
stews, as the melted easily and the flavor blended well with the already
potatoed stew. Now my stews are unpotatoed:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." > wrote in message
> Thanks to all who responded. The stick blender sounds like the way to go.
> Any favorite or hated brands / models ?

I have a Bamix and it just keeps chugging along year after year. It comes
with a blade container for making things like peanut butter grinding coffee
beans etc. if you're so inclined. I wouldn't waste money on the cheaper
plastic types because I don't think they work well at all.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ellen K." > wrote in message
>> Thanks to all who responded. The stick blender sounds like the way to
>> go. Any favorite or hated brands / models ?

> I have a Bamix and it just keeps chugging along year after year. It comes
> with a blade container for making things like peanut butter grinding
> coffee beans etc. if you're so inclined. I wouldn't waste money on the
> cheaper plastic types because I don't think they work well at all.
>
> Cheri

Thanks, I'll check it out. I did look on Amazon earlier today and see
Cuisinart makes a chrome one which one reviewer reported liking better than
plastic ones for the same reason you mention. They are selling it for
$29.99.

I have a regular Cuisinart food processor but I don't want to use it for the
chicken stew because I want to keep it pareve (neither meat nor dairy); if I
wanted to make peanut butter or grind coffee beans (both unlikely) I could
use that. Besides which, as someone posted earlier it's a PITA to have to
transfer the mixture back and forth and then wash all the moving parts etc.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ellen K." > wrote in message
>> Thanks to all who responded. The stick blender sounds like the way to
>> go. Any favorite or hated brands / models ?

> I have a Bamix and it just keeps chugging along year after year. It comes
> with a blade container for making things like peanut butter grinding
> coffee beans etc. if you're so inclined. I wouldn't waste money on the
> cheaper plastic types because I don't think they work well at all.

I've gone through several plastic ones. Had one cordless. I do not like
anything cordless except for phones. They just don't seem to have enough
power. I find that the plastic ones often do not last very long. I had my
first one for many years, but the ones I've bought since then only last
maybe three years. The one I have now says not to use it in hot liquids
because it can overheat. But that's what I use it for! Soup!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ellen K." > wrote in message
>> Thanks to all who responded. The stick blender sounds like the way
>> to go. Any favorite or hated brands / models ?

> I have a Bamix and it just keeps chugging along year after year. It
> comes with a blade container for making things like peanut butter
> grinding coffee beans etc. if you're so inclined. I wouldn't waste
> money on the cheaper plastic types because I don't think they work
> well at all.

I have tried someone's Bamix and my cheap ones compared favourably in
the basic use dept (I don't do all the "extras" anyway). I have only
bought 2 stick blenders over the last 15 years or so. Lucky I guess

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I go with the cheap supermarket ones, whatever brand is there. Only ever
bought two in 15 years.

"Ellen K." > wrote in message
> Thanks to all who responded. The stick blender sounds like the way to
> go. Any favorite or hated brands / models ?
>

> "Ellen K." > wrote in message
>>I am thinking to try making a chicken stew from chicken and non-carby
>>vegetables (celery, onion, tomato, green beans, cauliflower), would
>>almond meal work as a thickener? Or if not, what do you guys
>>suggest?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Nov 18, 1:50*am, "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> "Cheri" > wrote in message

> > "Ellen K." > wrote in message
> >> Thanks to all who responded. *The stick blender sounds like the way
> >> to go. Any favorite or hated brands / models ?

> > I have a Bamix and it just keeps chugging along year after year. It
> > comes with a blade container for making things like peanut butter
> > grinding coffee beans etc. if you're so inclined. *I wouldn't waste
> > money on the cheaper plastic types because I don't think they work
> > well at all.

> I have tried someone's Bamix and my cheap ones compared favourably in
> the basic use dept (I don't do all the "extras" anyway). I have only
> bought 2 stick blenders over the last 15 years or so. Lucky I guess

I just replaced my blender, which was also a wedding gift over 30
years ago.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
> On Nov 18, 1:50 am, "Ozgirl" > wrote:

>> > I have a Bamix and it just keeps chugging along year after year. It
>> > comes with a blade container for making things like peanut butter
>> > grinding coffee beans etc. if you're so inclined. I wouldn't waste
>> > money on the cheaper plastic types because I don't think they work
>> > well at all.

>> I have tried someone's Bamix and my cheap ones compared favourably in
>> the basic use dept (I don't do all the "extras" anyway). I have only
>> bought 2 stick blenders over the last 15 years or so. Lucky I guess
>>

> I just replaced my blender, which was also a wedding gift over 30
> years ago.

I find I can do everything I need to do in the kitchen at this point in
time with a blender stick, a Magic Bullet and believe it or not an
electric milkshake maker I do miss a Breville Kitchen Whiz I lost in
a move years ago. I used it for mixing thicker things and cutting up
veggies for soups for crowds.