Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone using Sous Vide technique?

If so what are your favorite sites?

Thanks,

Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 1, 7:33*am, Bruce K. > wrote:
> If so what are your favorite sites?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruce

Not me. I value the Maillard reaction. Give me that
brown, crispy exterior any day.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce K." > wrote in message
> If so what are your favorite sites?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruce
>
>What kind of equipment are you using? Have you purchased equipment
>dedicated to sous vide cooking?

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
On Apr 1, 7:33 am, Bruce K. > wrote:
> If so what are your favorite sites?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruce

Not me. I value the Maillard reaction. Give me that
brown, crispy exterior any day.

Cindy Hamilton

As I understand sous vide, the cooking edge to edge is separated from
creating a char on the surface of the meat. You char the meat at high temp.
eithr before or after you very slowly cook the interior under vacuum.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 1, 2:52*pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

> On Apr 1, 7:33 am, Bruce K. > wrote:
>
> > If so what are your favorite sites?

> > Thanks,

> > Bruce

> Not me. *I value the Maillard reaction. *Give me that
> brown, crispy exterior any day.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> As I understand sous vide, the cooking edge to edge is separated from
> creating a char on the surface of the meat. You char the meat at high temp.
> eithr before or after you very slowly cook the interior under vacuum.

Hmph. Seems like a lot of bother for not much return. I classify
it with foam and having the waiters walk behind you and spray
food smells while you're eating. A parlor trick.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 12:10:07 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> Hmph. Seems like a lot of bother for not much return. I classify
> it with foam and having the waiters walk behind you and spray
> food smells while you're eating. A parlor trick.

I think it's silly too. Maybe it works at the restaurant level, but I
doubt it. I certainly don't want to eat a parboiled steak and
actively avoid anything labeled sous vide.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 12:10:07 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>> Hmph. Seems like a lot of bother for not much return. I classify
>> it with foam and having the waiters walk behind you and spray
>> food smells while you're eating. A parlor trick.

>I think it's silly too. Maybe it works at the restaurant level, but I
>doubt it. I certainly don't want to eat a parboiled steak and
>actively avoid anything labeled sous vide.

I guess all cooking is a parlor trick. Sous vide, as I understand
it, is close to unique in its ability to not curdle protein while
still gelatinizing connective tissue. This gives a result with
a different texture than most, perhaps all, non-sous-vide braising methods.

Silly? No more so than lots of other things that are done in the
kitchen in order to achieve an exact effect.

It certainly has nothing in common with weird behavior by waiters.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

>What kind of equipment are you using? Have you purchased equipment
>dedicated to sous vide cooking?

I saw a sous vide machine on my most recent trip to Sur La Table. It
was the only time I had ever seen one except on TV.