Old 02-03-2011, 05:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Jumbo shells by DaVinci - 3.39 for 12 oz box in my mkt.

On lowest shelf, but they at least had em. I haven't made em in years
- the darn things broke up and were hard to stuff. I would make
extras in the future for the breakage factor. I found that a tiny
spoon worked best for stuffing. Almost as bad as stuffing
manicotti.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
On lowest shelf, but they at least had em. I haven't made em in years
- the darn things broke up and were hard to stuff. I would make
extras in the future for the breakage factor. I found that a tiny
spoon worked best for stuffing. Almost as bad as stuffing
manicotti.

I cook shells before stuffing, but I've given up pre-cooking manicot. I
just stuff them uncooked, thin the sauce a bit and add plenty then bake
covered with foil for 45 minutes before uncovering the last 10-15 min or
so. They come out great that way. Who knew?!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 3:18*pm, Goomba wrote:
Kalmia wrote:
On lowest shelf, but they at least had em. *I haven't made em in years
- the darn things broke up and were hard to stuff. *I would make
extras in the future for the breakage factor. *I found that a tiny
spoon worked best for stuffing. *Almost as bad as stuffing
manicotti.

I cook shells before stuffing, but I've given up pre-cooking manicot. I
just stuff them uncooked, thin the sauce a bit and add plenty then bake
covered with foil for 45 minutes before uncovering the last 10-15 min or
so. They come out great that way. *Who knew?!

Great tip. I'll have to try it.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" wrote in message
Kalmia wrote:
On lowest shelf, but they at least had em. I haven't made em in years
- the darn things broke up and were hard to stuff. I would make
extras in the future for the breakage factor. I found that a tiny
spoon worked best for stuffing. Almost as bad as stuffing
manicotti.

I cook shells before stuffing, but I've given up pre-cooking manicot. I
just stuff them uncooked, thin the sauce a bit and add plenty then bake
covered with foil for 45 minutes before uncovering the last 10-15 min or
so. They come out great that way. Who knew?!

I never tried to stuff Manicotti. My mom did it once. A lot of cursing was
involved. I had brought a friend over from school and she stayed for
dinner. She was afraid of the Manicotti and refused to eat it. People were
sometimes afraid of the food at our house because we frequently ate black
eyed peas and hominy. Those things are uncommon in the Pacific Northwest
and many people have never even heard of them. But Manicotti?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 14:41:40 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

I've found that the trick with the lasagna is to literally smother it in
sauce. You can't have a speck of pasta left bare of it won't cook right.
Frankly that is more sauce than I prefer. I just cook mine now.

I don't like a lot of pasta in lasagna, so Barilla rocked my world the
first time I used their no boil lasagna. It's very thin, so it
doesn't swell up and overwhelm the other ingredients.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" wrote in message
On lowest shelf, but they at least had em. I haven't made em in years
- the darn things broke up and were hard to stuff. I would make
extras in the future for the breakage factor. I found that a tiny
spoon worked best for stuffing. Almost as bad as stuffing
manicotti.

I buy Muellers. (Who cares about an Italian name... it's pasta.) I've only
had a few of the large shells tear when I was stuffing them. And they
didn't tear so badly that I couldn't use them. Sounds like you may be
over-cooking them before stuffing them.

Jill

Old 04-03-2011, 01:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
On lowest shelf, but they at least had em. I haven't made em in years
- the darn things broke up and were hard to stuff. I would make
extras in the future for the breakage factor. I found that a tiny
spoon worked best for stuffing. Almost as bad as stuffing
manicotti.

It's exciting that they have shells... but I made manicotti from
scratch when I was a mere kid and have had no urge to do something
puttery like that since then.

--
Jean B.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
On lowest shelf, but they at least had em. I haven't made em in years
- the darn things broke up and were hard to stuff. I would make
extras in the future for the breakage factor. I found that a tiny
spoon worked best for stuffing. Almost as bad as stuffing
manicotti.

A pastry bag works for stuffing them, or a Zip-Lok bag with a corner snipped
off.