Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Jumbo shells by DaVinci - 3.39 for 12 oz box in my mkt.

On lowest shelf, but they at least had em. I haven't made em in years
- the darn things broke up and were hard to stuff. I would make
extras in the future for the breakage factor. I found that a tiny
spoon worked best for stuffing. Almost as bad as stuffing
manicotti.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On lowest shelf, but they at least had em. I haven't made em in years
> - the darn things broke up and were hard to stuff. I would make
> extras in the future for the breakage factor. I found that a tiny
> spoon worked best for stuffing. Almost as bad as stuffing
> manicotti.

I cook shells before stuffing, but I've given up pre-cooking manicot. I
just stuff them uncooked, thin the sauce a bit and add plenty then bake
covered with foil for 45 minutes before uncovering the last 10-15 min or
so. They come out great that way. Who knew?!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 3:18*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
> > On lowest shelf, but they at least had em. *I haven't made em in years
> > - the darn things broke up and were hard to stuff. *I would make
> > extras in the future for the breakage factor. *I found that a tiny
> > spoon worked best for stuffing. *Almost as bad as stuffing
> > manicotti.

> I cook shells before stuffing, but I've given up pre-cooking manicot. I
> just stuff them uncooked, thin the sauce a bit and add plenty then bake
> covered with foil for 45 minutes before uncovering the last 10-15 min or
> so. They come out great that way. *Who knew?!

Great tip. I'll have to try it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Kalmia wrote:
>> On lowest shelf, but they at least had em. I haven't made em in years
>> - the darn things broke up and were hard to stuff. I would make
>> extras in the future for the breakage factor. I found that a tiny
>> spoon worked best for stuffing. Almost as bad as stuffing
>> manicotti.

> I cook shells before stuffing, but I've given up pre-cooking manicot. I
> just stuff them uncooked, thin the sauce a bit and add plenty then bake
> covered with foil for 45 minutes before uncovering the last 10-15 min or
> so. They come out great that way. Who knew?!

I never tried to stuff Manicotti. My mom did it once. A lot of cursing was
involved. I had brought a friend over from school and she stayed for
dinner. She was afraid of the Manicotti and refused to eat it. People were
sometimes afraid of the food at our house because we frequently ate black
eyed peas and hominy. Those things are uncommon in the Pacific Northwest
and many people have never even heard of them. But Manicotti?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 14:41:40 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I've found that the trick with the lasagna is to literally smother it in
> sauce. You can't have a speck of pasta left bare of it won't cook right.
> Frankly that is more sauce than I prefer. I just cook mine now.

I don't like a lot of pasta in lasagna, so Barilla rocked my world the
first time I used their no boil lasagna. It's very thin, so it
doesn't swell up and overwhelm the other ingredients.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On lowest shelf, but they at least had em. I haven't made em in years
> - the darn things broke up and were hard to stuff. I would make
> extras in the future for the breakage factor. I found that a tiny
> spoon worked best for stuffing. Almost as bad as stuffing
> manicotti.

I buy Muellers. (Who cares about an Italian name... it's pasta.) I've only
had a few of the large shells tear when I was stuffing them. And they
didn't tear so badly that I couldn't use them. Sounds like you may be
over-cooking them before stuffing them.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On lowest shelf, but they at least had em. I haven't made em in years
> - the darn things broke up and were hard to stuff. I would make
> extras in the future for the breakage factor. I found that a tiny
> spoon worked best for stuffing. Almost as bad as stuffing
> manicotti.

It's exciting that they have shells... but I made manicotti from
scratch when I was a mere kid and have had no urge to do something
puttery like that since then.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On lowest shelf, but they at least had em. I haven't made em in years
> - the darn things broke up and were hard to stuff. I would make
> extras in the future for the breakage factor. I found that a tiny
> spoon worked best for stuffing. Almost as bad as stuffing
> manicotti.

A pastry bag works for stuffing them, or a Zip-Lok bag with a corner snipped
off.