Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vienna sausages (36¢ per can)

Does anybody have a good recipe for using them? (they are kind of
bland) Maybe mashed into an ersatz paté, or skewered in Shish Kabobs?

They work pretty well for giving a dog a pill...

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

make up your favorite meatball sauce and put in the sausages instead, Lee
"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Does anybody have a good recipe for using them? (they are kind of bland)
> Maybe mashed into an ersatz paté, or skewered in Shish Kabobs?
>
> They work pretty well for giving a dog a pill...
>
> -Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 13, 11:23*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 22:30:40 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:
> > Does anybody have a good recipe for using them? *(they are kind of
> > bland) *Maybe mashed into an ersatz paté, or skewered in Shish Kabobs?

> > They work pretty well for giving a dog a pill...

> Vienna Sausage Confit:
>
> Thoroughly drain the liquid from the cans and re-cover them with hot
> duck fat. *Tap down the cans to allow fat to settle to bottom. *Allow
> to cool to room temperature. *If the sausages are not covered
> completely after they cool, add more liquid duck fat. *
>
> Cover cans with 3 layers of cheesecloth and put them in a cool 45-55F,
> 65% relative humidity cellar 3-4 months to age. *You may also use a
> wine or kimchi refrigerator.
>
> To serve, simply warm them in a hot water bath until you can remove
> them, then hit them with a blow torch to brown them lightly and
> caramelize some of the surface sugars. *Serve with a mixture of grape
> jelly and Heinz Chilli Sauce and a box of toothpicks.

That sounds almost as good as Nigella's Valentine Date Rape Steak:
http://www.npr.org/2011/02/14/133682...es-dinner-date
Undercooked green beans, burnt skin baked potatoes, and a steak f-ed
up by her nasty "sauce."

"Food is a big expense, and it's a big temptation to buy the cheapest
stuff out there, whether for eating at home or when you need to eat
out. But cheap, nasty food results in nasty meals and doesn't help you
stay healthy."
source-- http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...d=bb-budgeting

> -sw

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 06:25:59 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Does anybody have a good recipe for using them? (they are kind of
>> bland) Maybe mashed into an ersatz paté, or skewered in Shish Kabobs?
>>
>> They work pretty well for giving a dog a pill...
>>
>> -Bob

><lol> Can't stand them myself but dad loves them, straight out of the
>can, with crackers! I buy them by the case for him.

Me too. Sometimes I feel fancy; cut each in thirds and arrange on a
paper plate with spam cubes and enjoy with a toothpic... good dipped
in garlicky black bean sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Does anybody have a good recipe for using them? (they are kind of bland)
> Maybe mashed into an ersatz paté, or skewered in Shish Kabobs?
>
> They work pretty well for giving a dog a pill...
>
> -Bob

Hmmm... I never thought about cooking them. I remember them as snack food
on a camping trip. The texture is a little weird. Maybe BBQ sauce?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 09:24:55 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 06:25:59 -0600, Omelet >
>> wrote:

>> ><lol> Can't stand them myself but dad loves them, straight out of the
>> >can, with crackers! I buy them by the case for him.

>> Me too. Sometimes I feel fancy; cut each in thirds and arrange on a
>> paper plate with spam cubes and enjoy with a toothpic... good dipped
>> in garlicky black bean sauce.

><laughs> I love your junk food habit! It's delightfully refreshing.
>I'm personally going thru another 2 lb. loaf of Velveeta at the moment...
>Quesadillas or just slices plain right off the loaf. The kitties love
>Velveeta too but I try to limit their table scrap intake. ;-)

I buy the cheeee ends from the deli, typically half price. I like to
cut the American cheese ends into cubes and dip those in garlicky
black bean sauce too... I guess dairy and black bean sauce is a food
oxymoron. I cube mozz and dip that in black bean sauce too.

>Dad had a couple of turkey spam omelets earlier this week and loved them.

I can't tolerate turkey spam. I don't like any poultry sausage. Even
vienna sausage I only like the beef or pork ones.

I have lots more strange junk food habits... you would like what I can
do with a pickle. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Does anybody have a good recipe for using them? (they are kind of
>> bland) Maybe mashed into an ersatz paté, or skewered in Shish Kabobs?
>>
>> They work pretty well for giving a dog a pill...
>>
>> -Bob

> <lol> Can't stand them myself but dad loves them, straight out of the
> can, with crackers! I buy them by the case for him.

I think I'm reconnecting with my inner "Old man who grew up during The
Depression" (even though I didn't) :-) I also really like Spam
(sliced and fried) but it has to be the original kind, not Spam Lite
or turkey Spam :-P

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-02-14, Omelet > wrote:

> I think Spam is best fried with crispy edges....

I got back into Spam after two decade hiatus from being served Spam
breakfast burritos on a camping trip.

Pan fry course diced Spam till edges crispy. Scramble some eggs w/
Spam along with diced sauteed onions, garlic, peppers, shrooms, and
whatever else you like. Wrap in flour tortillas and add fave salsa.
Killer.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" wrote
> Omelet wrote:

>><lol> Can't stand them myself but dad loves them, straight out of the
>>can, with crackers! I buy them by the case for him.

> Me too. Sometimes I feel fancy; cut each in thirds and arrange on a
> paper plate with spam cubes and enjoy with a toothpic... good dipped
> in garlicky black bean sauce.

LOL! Don loves them as an occasional fast item. He doesnt do spam but will
have them right from the can as is, or with a little added tobasco.

I get him a can every 2-3 months.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2011 2:17 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:45:05 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> I can't tolerate turkey spam. I don't like any poultry sausage. Even
>> vienna sausage I only like the beef or pork ones.

> I haven't seen beef or pork Vienna sausages for at least 15 years.
> Can you post a link to these pork or beef Vienna sausages? All of the
> ones in the stores I frequent have chicken paste as their main
> ingredient.
>
> I don't hate to break it to you, but you've been eating chicken-based
> Vienna sausages for years, Sheldon.
>
> -sw

Maybe they taste just like the Shelden gold star Hillsure sausage like
products that he likes so much?

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqwertz View Post
[...]

I would like to nominate this "recipe of the month." I'm trying this when I get home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 01:03:40 +0000 in rec.food.cooking, Gorio
> wrote,
>
>Sqwertz;1581524 Wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 22:30:40 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:
>> -
>> Does anybody have a good recipe for using them? (they are kind of
>> bland) Maybe mashed into an ersatz paté, or skewered in Shish Kabobs?
>>
>> They work pretty well for giving a dog a pill...-
>>
>> Vienna Sausage Confit:
>>
>> Thoroughly drain the liquid from the cans and re-cover them with hot
>> duck fat. Tap down the cans to allow fat to settle to bottom. Allow
>> to cool to room temperature. If the sausages are not covered
>> completely after they cool, add more liquid duck fat.
>>
>> Cover cans with 3 layers of cheesecloth and put them in a cool 45-55F,
>> 65% relative humidity cellar 3-4 months to age. You may also use a
>> wine or kimchi refrigerator.
>>
>> To serve, simply warm them in a hot water bath until you can remove
>> them, then hit them with a blow torch to brown them lightly and
>> caramelize some of the surface sugars. Serve with a mixture of grape
>> jelly and Heinz Chilli Sauce and a box of toothpicks.
>>
>> -sw

>I would like to nominate this "recipe of the month." I'm trying this
>when I get home.

Perhaps Sqwertz would post pictures of his to alt.binaries.food