katie

Default veg eating in vienna - fab!

hello all,
returned from my adventures. was worried about finding veg food in the land
of schnitzel, but there turned out to be veg restuarants all over the place!
and really awesome ones too. the best part was that most of the ones i went
to were very vegan friendly but also had lacto-ovo options and one even had
fish, which was good since my dad was able to find food to his liking. my
fave was a place called the bio bar, they had this awesome dish (probably
the most yummy thing i've ever eaten in my life) which was beer battered
tofu served with this vegetable curry-ish concoction - seemed like a spinach
and lentil thing with these itty bitty potatoes in it. soooooo gooooood.
i've got to try to make that. one thing though is that when the chef is
different, the same thing ordered on the menu comes out almost completely
different; different vegetables and everything. that's kinda weird, but
good for variety if you're a regular, i guess. they also had some awesome
desserts. still have a chunk of their nougat sitting in my fridge - you can
only eat a tiny bit of that stuff at a time, it's so good. another good
place was inkal, it had really delish bruschetta, and i tried a vegan
schnitzel there (which was tasty, but all that wheat gluten & side fries
didn't sit well with me!) the most posh place we went to was called wrenkh,
good food, great presentation. a really nice atmosphere. they had these
really good non-deep-fried springrolls in a rice wrapper. and a yummy
tofukebab. the only other place i really went to was a veg-friendly chinese
place, this huge 2-storey place that had neat decorating, i think it was
called go wok. their menu had a good legend on it for what was vegetarian.
pretty tasty food too. anyhow, i found all but the last of these
restaurants on the happy cow website (there are many more out there, but i
didn't wind up finding them). here's the link:
http://www.happycow.net/index.html

Rubystars

"katie" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
> hello all,
> returned from my adventures. was worried about finding veg food in the

land
> of schnitzel, but there turned out to be veg restuarants all over the

place!
> and really awesome ones too. the best part was that most of the ones i

went
> to were very vegan friendly but also had lacto-ovo options and one even

had
> fish, which was good since my dad was able to find food to his liking. my
> fave was a place called the bio bar, they had this awesome dish (probably
> the most yummy thing i've ever eaten in my life) which was beer battered
> tofu served with this vegetable curry-ish concoction - seemed like a

spinach
> and lentil thing with these itty bitty potatoes in it. soooooo gooooood.
> i've got to try to make that. one thing though is that when the chef is
> different, the same thing ordered on the menu comes out almost completely
> different; different vegetables and everything.

Maybe I'm just used to uniformity, but when I order things from a restaurant
I want it to look and taste the same every time I order it. If I want
something different, I'll order something different.

-Rubystars

sid derra

"katie" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
> hello all,
> returned from my adventures. was worried about finding veg food in the land
> of schnitzel, but there turned out to be veg restuarants all over the place!
> and really awesome ones too. the best part was that most of the ones i went
> to were very vegan friendly but also had lacto-ovo options and one even had
> fish, which was good since my dad was able to find food to his liking. my
> fave was a place called the bio bar, they had this awesome dish (probably
> the most yummy thing i've ever eaten in my life) which was beer battered
> tofu served with this vegetable curry-ish concoction - seemed like a spinach
> and lentil thing with these itty bitty potatoes in it. soooooo gooooood.
> i've got to try to make that. one thing though is that when the chef is
> different, the same thing ordered on the menu comes out almost completely
> different; different vegetables and everything. that's kinda weird, but
> good for variety if you're a regular, i guess. they also had some awesome
> desserts. still have a chunk of their nougat sitting in my fridge - you can
> only eat a tiny bit of that stuff at a time, it's so good. another good
> place was inkal, it had really delish bruschetta, and i tried a vegan
> schnitzel there (which was tasty, but all that wheat gluten & side fries
> didn't sit well with me!) the most posh place we went to was called wrenkh,
> good food, great presentation. a really nice atmosphere. they had these
> really good non-deep-fried springrolls in a rice wrapper. and a yummy
> tofukebab. the only other place i really went to was a veg-friendly chinese
> place, this huge 2-storey place that had neat decorating, i think it was
> called go wok. their menu had a good legend on it for what was vegetarian.
> pretty tasty food too. anyhow, i found all but the last of these
> restaurants on the happy cow website (there are many more out there, but i
> didn't wind up finding them). here's the link:
> http://www.happycow.net/index.html

funny - i just went to eat at a vegan restaurant in vienna on saturday. you are
right... vienna is a pretty vegan friendly place... especially considering the
typical austrian cuisine. if you havent tried the following restaurant yet and
should come back some time you HAVE to try the restaurant VEGETASIA (there are
actually 2 in vienna). they have about 140(!) different meals - approx. 85% of
them are vegan, all the others are marked "with eggs" etc and they will try to
turn those into vegan dishes as well...

it basically is an asian restaurant (it says something about taiwan in the
menu), actually fancy enough for business meetings, but still very comfy and
also affordable. it was just great. the menu features pretty much any meal you
can imagine: some fish - even eel, variations of duck and chicken and of course
the classic asian cuisine as well. i had a baked chicken with roasted veggies
and a rice cake with sweet beansauce and poppy seeds as dessert. the best meal i
had in austria in years. all together cost incl. a drink eur 16,55.

wrenkh is very well known all throughout the country and it is THE vegetarian
restaurant in austria. i have never been to the bio bar - did you try the
vegetarian "wuerstelstand" (= "sausage stand" - a kinda classic austrian kiosk
that sells vegan and vegetarian snacks such as franks, etc)? it is pretty well
known as well - still i avent made it to either of these places so far... maybe
next time.

where are you from originally?

rock on - sid

katie

"sid derra" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > pretty tasty food too. anyhow, i found all but the last of these
> > restaurants on the happy cow website (there are many more out there, but

> > didn't wind up finding them). here's the link:
> > http://www.happycow.net/index.html

> funny - i just went to eat at a vegan restaurant in vienna on saturday.

you are
> right... vienna is a pretty vegan friendly place... especially considering

the
> typical austrian cuisine. if you havent tried the following restaurant yet

and
> should come back some time you HAVE to try the restaurant VEGETASIA (there

are
> actually 2 in vienna). they have about 140(!) different meals - approx.

85% of
> them are vegan, all the others are marked "with eggs" etc and they will

i had vegetasia on my list, but i just didn't run into it. did there used
to be one in the nachtsmarket? because i saw a veg restaurant there, but
when i went to it, it was all closed up. thought it might have been one of
those.

> it basically is an asian restaurant (it says something about taiwan in the
> menu), actually fancy enough for business meetings, but still very comfy

and
> also affordable. it was just great. the menu features pretty much any meal

you
> can imagine: some fish - even eel, variations of duck and chicken and of

course
> the classic asian cuisine as well. i had a baked chicken with roasted

veggies
> and a rice cake with sweet beansauce and poppy seeds as dessert. the best

meal i
> had in austria in years. all together cost incl. a drink eur 16,55.
>
> wrenkh is very well known all throughout the country and it is THE

vegetarian
> restaurant in austria. i have never been to the bio bar - did you try the
> vegetarian "wuerstelstand" (= "sausage stand" - a kinda classic austrian

kiosk
> that sells vegan and vegetarian snacks such as franks, etc)? it is pretty

well
> known as well - still i avent made it to either of these places so far...

maybe
> next time.

didn't come across it, although i did see a funny ad for those veg sausages
in a tourism magazine.

> where are you from originally?

i'm from ottawa, ontario, in canada. a pretty veg-friendly place as well.