Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fish tacos

How do you make yours? I had seen them on restaurant menus but never gave
them any thought because I am not a fish lover. But my mom has ordered them
and the fish was breaded. Seemed like a lot of carbs to me! I have seen
recipes online that call for unbreaded as well as breaded.

Then I saw that ad on TV where they used fish sticks in a hard shell.
That's what I made for dinner tonight for husband and daughter. They both
loved them. One fish stick was broken. I gave that to the cat who also
loved it.

I had bean tacos myself. And I found the taste I've been looking for! I
made a post some time back asking about how to get the taste of canned chili
beans in sauce without all the sugar. Taco Bell Table Sauce. Yep! It's
that flavor. Daughter didn't like it but husband and I had it on our tacos.

Now I have another quick meal to make.

So how do you do the fish for your tacos? Assuming you eat them...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

>How do you make yours? I had seen them on restaurant menus but never gave
>them any thought because I am not a fish lover. But my mom has ordered them
>and the fish was breaded. Seemed like a lot of carbs to me! I have seen
>recipes online that call for unbreaded as well as breaded.
>
>Then I saw that ad on TV where they used fish sticks in a hard shell.
>That's what I made for dinner tonight for husband and daughter. They both
>loved them. One fish stick was broken. I gave that to the cat who also
>loved it.
>
>I had bean tacos myself. And I found the taste I've been looking for! I
>made a post some time back asking about how to get the taste of canned chili
>beans in sauce without all the sugar. Taco Bell Table Sauce. Yep! It's
>that flavor. Daughter didn't like it but husband and I had it on our tacos.
>
>Now I have another quick meal to make.
>
>So how do you do the fish for your tacos? Assuming you eat them...

I've probably talked about this before, but I prefer pan-fried Alaska
halibut for fish tacos. There are variations on battering but I
use egg white / flour / chili powder / lemon zest in some form.

The thing about batter-fried fish is that the fish cooks differently, and
I think better, inside that coating of battering. It should not be
thick enough to constitute a lot of carbs. I use whole-wheat flour
and I doubt that as much as a tablespoon of flour ends up in two or
three tacos.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
>>How do you make yours? I had seen them on restaurant menus but never gave
>>them any thought because I am not a fish lover. But my mom has ordered
>>them
>>and the fish was breaded. Seemed like a lot of carbs to me! I have seen
>>recipes online that call for unbreaded as well as breaded.
>>
>>Then I saw that ad on TV where they used fish sticks in a hard shell.
>>That's what I made for dinner tonight for husband and daughter. They both
>>loved them. One fish stick was broken. I gave that to the cat who also
>>loved it.
>>
>>I had bean tacos myself. And I found the taste I've been looking for! I
>>made a post some time back asking about how to get the taste of canned
>>chili
>>beans in sauce without all the sugar. Taco Bell Table Sauce. Yep! It's
>>that flavor. Daughter didn't like it but husband and I had it on our
>>tacos.
>>
>>Now I have another quick meal to make.
>>
>>So how do you do the fish for your tacos? Assuming you eat them...

> I've probably talked about this before, but I prefer pan-fried Alaska
> halibut for fish tacos. There are variations on battering but I
> use egg white / flour / chili powder / lemon zest in some form.
>
> The thing about batter-fried fish is that the fish cooks differently, and
> I think better, inside that coating of battering. It should not be
> thick enough to constitute a lot of carbs. I use whole-wheat flour
> and I doubt that as much as a tablespoon of flour ends up in two or
> three tacos.

Okay. Thanks! I have never battered a fish. My husband used to make
catfish but I'm not sure that would go well in a taco. He would dip it in
hot mustard and then in cornmeal and fry it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>> I've probably talked about this before, but I prefer pan-fried Alaska
>> halibut for fish tacos. There are variations on battering but I
>> use egg white / flour / chili powder / lemon zest in some form.

>> The thing about batter-fried fish is that the fish cooks differently, and
>> I think better, inside that coating of battering. It should not be
>> thick enough to constitute a lot of carbs. I use whole-wheat flour
>> and I doubt that as much as a tablespoon of flour ends up in two or
>> three tacos.

>Okay. Thanks! I have never battered a fish. My husband used to make
>catfish but I'm not sure that would go well in a taco. He would dip it in
>hot mustard and then in cornmeal and fry it.

I have seen catfish tacos (say, on menus in in brewpubs) but
this does not make sense to me. You want some sort of fish
that is plausibly swimming around offshore of Baja. Rock cod /
California "snapper" is probably most prevalent, but halibut
is a little better of a fish -- even though you're stuffing it
in a taco, the quality is not lost.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
>>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>>> I've probably talked about this before, but I prefer pan-fried Alaska
>>> halibut for fish tacos. There are variations on battering but I
>>> use egg white / flour / chili powder / lemon zest in some form.

>>> The thing about batter-fried fish is that the fish cooks differently,
>>> and
>>> I think better, inside that coating of battering. It should not be
>>> thick enough to constitute a lot of carbs. I use whole-wheat flour
>>> and I doubt that as much as a tablespoon of flour ends up in two or
>>> three tacos.

>>Okay. Thanks! I have never battered a fish. My husband used to make
>>catfish but I'm not sure that would go well in a taco. He would dip it in
>>hot mustard and then in cornmeal and fry it.

> I have seen catfish tacos (say, on menus in in brewpubs) but
> this does not make sense to me. You want some sort of fish
> that is plausibly swimming around offshore of Baja. Rock cod /
> California "snapper" is probably most prevalent, but halibut
> is a little better of a fish -- even though you're stuffing it
> in a taco, the quality is not lost.

I see... Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

> I have seen catfish tacos (say, on menus in in brewpubs) but
> this does not make sense to me. You want some sort of fish
> that is plausibly swimming around offshore of Baja.

I disagree. If it tastes good in a taco, I don't care if it's only available
from arctic waters. For example, I've had king crab tacos which were
delicious. Do you only enjoy sushi if the fish could plausibly have come
from Japan?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2011 12:50 AM, Steve Pope wrote:
> Julie > wrote:
>
>> How do you make yours? I had seen them on restaurant menus but never gave
>> them any thought because I am not a fish lover. But my mom has ordered them
>> and the fish was breaded. Seemed like a lot of carbs to me! I have seen
>> recipes online that call for unbreaded as well as breaded.
>>
>> Then I saw that ad on TV where they used fish sticks in a hard shell.
>> That's what I made for dinner tonight for husband and daughter. They both
>> loved them. One fish stick was broken. I gave that to the cat who also
>> loved it.
>>
>> I had bean tacos myself. And I found the taste I've been looking for! I
>> made a post some time back asking about how to get the taste of canned chili
>> beans in sauce without all the sugar. Taco Bell Table Sauce. Yep! It's
>> that flavor. Daughter didn't like it but husband and I had it on our tacos.
>>
>> Now I have another quick meal to make.
>>
>> So how do you do the fish for your tacos? Assuming you eat them...

> I've probably talked about this before, but I prefer pan-fried Alaska
> halibut for fish tacos. There are variations on battering but I
> use egg white / flour / chili powder / lemon zest in some form.
>
> The thing about batter-fried fish is that the fish cooks differently, and
> I think better, inside that coating of battering. It should not be
> thick enough to constitute a lot of carbs. I use whole-wheat flour
> and I doubt that as much as a tablespoon of flour ends up in two or
> three tacos.
>
> Steve

Trader Joe's frozen battered halibut works very well and is also
relatively low-fat.

--
James Silverton, Potomac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2011 12:41 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> How do you make yours? I had seen them on restaurant menus but never gave
> them any thought because I am not a fish lover. But my mom has ordered them
> and the fish was breaded. Seemed like a lot of carbs to me! I have seen
> recipes online that call for unbreaded as well as breaded.

A "standard" Baja style fish taco always uses breaded fish.

> Then I saw that ad on TV where they used fish sticks in a hard shell.
> That's what I made for dinner tonight for husband and daughter. They both
> loved them. One fish stick was broken. I gave that to the cat who also
> loved it.

Soft tacos are much more commonly used in Mexican cooking.

> I had bean tacos myself. And I found the taste I've been looking for! I
> made a post some time back asking about how to get the taste of canned chili
> beans in sauce without all the sugar. Taco Bell Table Sauce. Yep! It's
> that flavor. Daughter didn't like it but husband and I had it on our tacos.
>
> Now I have another quick meal to make.
>
> So how do you do the fish for your tacos? Assuming you eat them...

Battered in a beer batter (flour, baking powder, beer) and fried.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote

> How do you make yours? I had seen them on restaurant menus but never gave
> them any thought because I am not a fish lover. But my mom has ordered
> them and the fish was breaded. Seemed like a lot of carbs to me! I have
> seen recipes online that call for unbreaded as well as breaded.

I don't really do 'fish tacos'. I do something a little related, which is a
soft wrap using the thin rice wrappers soft mostly for making lumpia and
things like that. I prefer a white relatively fish for that one. Lingcod
is favored here but snapper works well as does sea bass.

I steam the fish with cabbage (Nappa or 'chinese' cabbage' works). Last
time I used pea leaves (yeah, lovely things, taste like peas, gotten at my
local asian store in large bags. They make a wonderful fresh green salad
too). I add a little raw onion minced fine and season lightly with whatever
feels right that day (can be salsa, can be Mae Ploy 'hot sweet chicken
sauce', might be tamari). Brush with egg and bake to golden. A light sea
salt to the raw brushed egg makes it nice.

I scramble the rest of the egg and give it to the dogs and cat.

If you normally chop up raw stuff to cook so are fast at it, you can make 8
of these in about 10 mins, then bake in a preheated oven about 5-7 at 450F.

> I had bean tacos myself. And I found the taste I've been looking for! I
> made a post some time back asking about how to get the taste of canned
> chili beans in sauce without all the sugar. Taco Bell Table Sauce. Yep!
> It's that flavor. Daughter didn't like it but husband and I had it on our
> tacos.

I make my own chili beans in a crockpot. You can get a huge 'tastes sweet,
isnt actually' from bell peppers. I seem to recall you would have to blanch
and skin them first. (gastroenteritis?). You could also freeze the bell
peppers 'skin on' then defrost and the skin will come right off. I suggest
halfing first and de-seeding as I recall you can't have the seeds either.
The texture will be different but in a bean pot, it will not matter due to
the long cooking. (next time you have some that are still fine but you know
you won't use in time, try the trick and see if it works. Since we
container garden up to 8 bell peppers a year, we hit a bumper crop and
freeze some of the excess while dehydrator gets the rest).

The chili beans this way do take a bit longer to be ready than you may want,
but actual time to make is again, about 10 mins then you set on low and let
the crockpot do it's thing. The results freeze well so you can baggie it up
for the freezer and make it only now and again.

Grin, cost is the main savings here. 1.19$ worth bag (8 oz) of red beans, 2
bell peppers (I use up to 4 but grow smaller heirloom types) estimate that
would be 2$ most places? Chili powder to taste (lets add 5cents?) 3.24$ and
you will have about 8 cans worth of beans. Using the crockpot which costs
*way less* than stove topping in power, will run you about 15cents. (stove,
as much as 2$). 3.39$ estimated for 8 cans worth?

Your prices may vary because your market may be smaller, but that's what I'd
run here if I needed to buy the bell peppers. Since I grow my own, my cost
is 1.39$ roughly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 21:41:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> How do you make yours?

<snip>

> So how do you do the fish for your tacos? Assuming you eat them...

I make soft shell tacos. Heat the tortillas and keep them in a
tortilla "warmer" until ready to use. Use a firm white fish fillet,
any kind you like (you can even use shellfish - like shrimp). I want
my fish naked. I don't like it breaded or even lightly coated in
flour. Cook it to flaky doneness and use two forks to pull it apart
into chunks. Serve on soft corn tortillas with whatever you like as
condiments. It was just the two of us last time; so I used diced
avocado, sliced green onions, store bought salsa, chopped lettuce and
swirled some chili powder into sour cream. I would have put out rice,
beans and a cabbage salad if there were more people to feed, but we
had 3 tacos each and were plenty full at the end of the meal.

Next time you make yourself a bean taco, try using refried beans and a
little cheese. It's delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:09:05 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> My husband used to make
> catfish but I'm not sure that would go well in a taco.

*I* think it would. Use what you like - I also pick what's on sale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 08:30:11 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> Trader Joe's frozen battered halibut works very well and is also
> relatively low-fat.

Oh, that's a good idea! I'm going to try it sometime.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 08:55:56 -0500, George >
wrote:

> A "standard" Baja style fish taco always uses breaded fish.

Is that the major difference between Mexican and California fish
tacos? Soft shell vs hard shell? What about the condiments?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 9:50*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> >How do you make yours? *I had seen them on restaurant menus but never gave
> >them any thought because I am not a fish lover. *But my mom has ordered them
> >and the fish was breaded. *Seemed like a lot of carbs to me! *I have seen
> >recipes online that call for unbreaded as well as breaded.

> >Then I saw that ad on TV where they used fish sticks in a hard shell.
> >That's what I made for dinner tonight for husband and daughter. *They both
> >loved them. *One fish stick was broken. *I gave that to the cat who also
> >loved it.

> >I had bean tacos myself. *And I found the taste I've been looking for! *I
> >made a post some time back asking about how to get the taste of canned chili
> >beans in sauce without all the sugar. *Taco Bell Table Sauce. *Yep! *It's
> >that flavor. *Daughter didn't like it but husband and I had it on our tacos.

> >Now I have another quick meal to make.

> >So how do you do the fish for your tacos? *Assuming you eat them...

> I've probably talked about this before, but I prefer pan-fried Alaska
> halibut for fish tacos. *There are variations on battering but I
> use egg white / flour / chili powder / lemon zest in some form.
>
> The thing about batter-fried fish is that the fish cooks differently, and
> I think better, inside that coating of battering. *It should not be
> thick enough to constitute a lot of carbs. *I use whole-wheat flour
> and I doubt that as much as a tablespoon of flour ends up in two or
> three tacos.
>
> Steve

Yep..Alaskan halibut is the best for fish tacos.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2011 11:41 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> So how do you do the fish for your tacos? Assuming you eat them...

Since we try to avoid carbs here as much as possiblre, here's how I make
them (BTW) this is (almost) how my favorite restaurant *in* Mexico does
them)

I use tilapia. In a large skillet put a tablespoon of EVOO and a
tablespoon of butter. Melt. Place filets in the pan and sprinkle with
cumin, granulated garlic and Mexican oregano. (You can add whatever
other spices you like) Sprinkle with fresh lime juice. Sautee one side,
flip the fish and season the other side the same way.

When done, place some fish in a small tortilla (traditionally it is
small soft corn tortillas, but we use low carb wheat) put a few sprigs
of cilantro on the fish and some shredded cabbage. Sprinkle with more
fresh lime juice and a dollop of Mexican sour cream, regular sour cream
or even (my favorite) thick Greek yogurt) You can add some pico de
gallo or jarred salsa if you are one of those misguided people who
believe everything Mexican has to be hot.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 8:55*am, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> On 2/11/2011 11:41 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > So how do you do the fish for your tacos? *Assuming you eat them...

> Since we try to avoid carbs here as much as possiblre, here's how I make
> them *(BTW) this is (almost) how my favorite restaurant *in* Mexico does
> them)
>
> I use tilapia. In a large skillet put a tablespoon of EVOO and a
> tablespoon of butter. Melt. Place filets in the pan and sprinkle with
> cumin, granulated garlic and Mexican oregano. (You can add whatever
> other spices you like) Sprinkle with fresh lime juice. *Sautee one side,
> flip the fish and season the other side the same way.
>
> When done, place some fish in a small tortilla (traditionally it is
> small soft corn tortillas, but we use low carb wheat) put a few sprigs
> of cilantro on the fish and some shredded cabbage. Sprinkle with more
> fresh lime juice and a dollop of Mexican sour cream, regular sour cream
> or even (my favorite) thick Greek yogurt) *You can add some pico de
> gallo or jarred salsa if you are one of those misguided people who
> believe everything Mexican has to be hot.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. *Cooking does.

I find tilapia a little bland for tacos...that's just me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 21:41:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> How do you make yours?

> <snip>
>>
>> So how do you do the fish for your tacos? Assuming you eat
>> them...
>>

> I make soft shell tacos. Heat the tortillas and keep them in a
> tortilla "warmer" until ready to use. Use a firm white fish
> fillet, any kind you like (you can even use shellfish - like
> shrimp). I want my fish naked. I don't like it breaded or
> even lightly coated in flour. Cook it to flaky doneness and use
> two forks to pull it apart into chunks. Serve on soft corn
> tortillas with whatever you like as condiments. It was just the
> two of us last time; so I used diced avocado, sliced green
> onions, store bought salsa, chopped lettuce and swirled some
> chili powder into sour cream. I would have put out rice, beans
> and a cabbage salad if there were more people to feed, but we
> had 3 tacos each and were plenty full at the end of the meal.
>
> Next time you make yourself a bean taco, try using refried beans
> and a little cheese. It's delicious.

And makes you fatter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2011 10:48 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 08:55:56 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> A "standard" Baja style fish taco always uses breaded fish.

> Is that the major difference between Mexican and California fish
> tacos? Soft shell vs hard shell? What about the condiments?

Always soft. I think hard tacos are a US idea. I have never seen them
served in Mexico and the authentic Mexican restaurants I have been in.

Shredded cabbage, pico de gallo, crema

Just looking for backup and the taco link on Wikipedia says hard tacos
are a US/Canadian thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco

Hard-shell tacos

Beginning from the early part of the twentieth century, various styles
of tacos have become popular in the United States and Canada.[10] The
style that has become most common is the hard-shell, U-shaped version
first described in a cookbook authored by Fabiola Cabeza de Vaca Gilbert
and published in Santa Fe, New Mexico in 1949. These have been sold by
restaurants and by fast food chains. Even non-Mexican oriented fast food
restaurants have sold tacos. Mass production of this type of taco was
encouraged by the invention of devices to hold the tortillas in the
U-shape as they were deep-fried. A patent for such a device was issued
to New York restaurateur Juvenico Maldonado in 1950, based on his patent
filing of 1947 (U.S. Patent No. 2,506,305).[11][12] Such tacos are
crisp-fried corn tortillas filled with seasoned ground beef, cheese,
lettuce, and sometimes tomato, onion, salsa, sour cream, and avocado or
guacamole.[13] In this context, soft tacos are tacos made with wheat
flour tortillas and filled with the same ingredients as a hard taco.[14]

Pico de gallo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like to mix tartar sauce and pickled jalapeno slices with a bit of
the brine for fish taco sauce.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 11, 9:41 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> How do you make yours?

I most often use cod but snapper and halibut are equally good
alternatives. Best I ever had in Baja was fresh yellowtail. Go to
the good fishmonger and take whatever is best that day.

I batter them with a light beer batter. No heavy cornmeal. I like a
little crispy, not a big crunch. Unbattered and grilled is great, but
I've found that many people, especially kids, prefer the battered
version.

Soft corn tortillas. Shredded cabbage, mayo or crema, fresh lime
juice. Salsa/pico de gallo available for guests who want it. Ditto
sliced avocado. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-02-12, Omelet > wrote:

> Farm raised catfish are fed a clean pelleted food.

But live in their own waste!

This one of the major problems with aquaculture, disposing of all that
waste from thousands of fish. Requires fresh water, which is
overhead. It's so bad in the shrimp industry in Thailand, shrimp are
pumped full of antibiotics to survive their own filth. When farms ARE
finally flushed, they waste is so toxic, it's killing off natural
mangrove wetlands that are the birthplace of most of the sealife in
that part of the ocean. IOW, aquafarming is killing off most of the
natural sealife in The Gulf of Thailand.

Do you actually believe catfish and talapia farmers are any less
greedy or more responisble?

The guy who will make it filthy rich is the person who figures out a
way to harvest all those damn jumping Asian carp up around the Great
Lakes and creates a way to turn them into marketable protein. Hell,
grind 'em up and make fish meal for salmon farmers or sell to those
moron consumers who are already paying big bucks for imitation
crabmeat. Seems like a no brainer.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-02-12, Omelet > wrote:

>> Farm raised catfish are fed a clean pelleted food.

>But live in their own waste!
>
>This one of the major problems with aquaculture, disposing of all that
>waste from thousands of fish. Requires fresh water, which is
>overhead. It's so bad in the shrimp industry in Thailand, shrimp are
>pumped full of antibiotics to survive their own filth. When farms ARE
>finally flushed, they waste is so toxic, it's killing off natural
>mangrove wetlands that are the birthplace of most of the sealife in
>that part of the ocean. IOW, aquafarming is killing off most of the
>natural sealife in The Gulf of Thailand.
>
>Do you actually believe catfish and talapia farmers are any less
>greedy or more responisble?
>
>The guy who will make it filthy rich is the person who figures out a
>way to harvest all those damn jumping Asian carp up around the Great
>Lakes and creates a way to turn them into marketable protein. Hell,
>grind 'em up and make fish meal for salmon farmers or sell to those
>moron consumers who are already paying big bucks for imitation
>crabmeat. Seems like a no brainer.

FWIW, Seafood Watch (as of January, 2011) lists U.S. farmed catfish
and U.S. farmed tilapia as among their "best choices". They would
not do this is the environmental damage from the farming operations
were too great.

Myself, I just don't happen to like catfish/tilapia in any form I've ever
tried.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet <ompomelet gmail.com> wrote:

> John Doe > wrote:
>> sf > wrote:

>> > Next time you make yourself a bean taco, try using refried beans
>> > and a little cheese. It's delicious.

>> And makes you fatter.

> Oh puleeze... It's called PORTION CONTROL!
> Eat 1 or 2, not 6, and they will not contribute to making you fat!

I just happen to read the ingredients label of refried beans a few days
ago and noticed that it is much higher in the bad stuff than most other
beans. And of course cheese is fatty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> How do you make yours? I had seen them on restaurant menus but never
>> gave
>> them any thought because I am not a fish lover. But my mom has ordered
>> them
>> and the fish was breaded. Seemed like a lot of carbs to me! I have seen
>> recipes online that call for unbreaded as well as breaded.
>>
>> Then I saw that ad on TV where they used fish sticks in a hard shell.
>> That's what I made for dinner tonight for husband and daughter. They
>> both
>> loved them. One fish stick was broken. I gave that to the cat who also
>> loved it.
>>
>> I had bean tacos myself. And I found the taste I've been looking for! I
>> made a post some time back asking about how to get the taste of canned
>> chili
>> beans in sauce without all the sugar. Taco Bell Table Sauce. Yep! It's
>> that flavor. Daughter didn't like it but husband and I had it on our
>> tacos.
>>
>> Now I have another quick meal to make.
>>
>> So how do you do the fish for your tacos? Assuming you eat them...

> I've used well drained canned tuna, and I've used fresh catfish. I
> never, ever bread it. No reason to. I bake the catfish.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 08:55:56 -0500, George >
> wrote:
>
>> A "standard" Baja style fish taco always uses breaded fish.

> Is that the major difference between Mexican and California fish
> tacos? Soft shell vs hard shell? What about the condiments?

The restaurants here always seem to use the soft tortilla and some cabbage
or slaw.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote
>
>> How do you make yours? I had seen them on restaurant menus but never
>> gave them any thought because I am not a fish lover. But my mom has
>> ordered them and the fish was breaded. Seemed like a lot of carbs to me!
>> I have seen recipes online that call for unbreaded as well as breaded.

> I don't really do 'fish tacos'. I do something a little related, which is
> a soft wrap using the thin rice wrappers soft mostly for making lumpia and
> things like that. I prefer a white relatively fish for that one. Lingcod
> is favored here but snapper works well as does sea bass.
>
> I steam the fish with cabbage (Nappa or 'chinese' cabbage' works). Last
> time I used pea leaves (yeah, lovely things, taste like peas, gotten at my
> local asian store in large bags. They make a wonderful fresh green salad
> too). I add a little raw onion minced fine and season lightly with
> whatever feels right that day (can be salsa, can be Mae Ploy 'hot sweet
> chicken sauce', might be tamari). Brush with egg and bake to golden. A
> light sea salt to the raw brushed egg makes it nice.
>
> I scramble the rest of the egg and give it to the dogs and cat.
>
> If you normally chop up raw stuff to cook so are fast at it, you can make
> 8 of these in about 10 mins, then bake in a preheated oven about 5-7 at
> 450F.
>
>> I had bean tacos myself. And I found the taste I've been looking for! I
>> made a post some time back asking about how to get the taste of canned
>> chili beans in sauce without all the sugar. Taco Bell Table Sauce. Yep!
>> It's that flavor. Daughter didn't like it but husband and I had it on
>> our tacos.

> I make my own chili beans in a crockpot. You can get a huge 'tastes
> sweet, isnt actually' from bell peppers. I seem to recall you would have
> to blanch and skin them first. (gastroenteritis?). You could also freeze
> the bell peppers 'skin on' then defrost and the skin will come right off.
> I suggest halfing first and de-seeding as I recall you can't have the
> seeds either. The texture will be different but in a bean pot, it will not
> matter due to the long cooking. (next time you have some that are still
> fine but you know you won't use in time, try the trick and see if it
> works. Since we container garden up to 8 bell peppers a year, we hit a
> bumper crop and freeze some of the excess while dehydrator gets the rest).

I used to make big pots of beans. I would add tons of peppers and onions to
lower the carb count. Thankfully I digest all of those things well.
Sometimes I would also add carrots and celery. If all the veggies are
chopped to the size of the beans, it works.

> The chili beans this way do take a bit longer to be ready than you may
> want, but actual time to make is again, about 10 mins then you set on low
> and let the crockpot do it's thing. The results freeze well so you can
> baggie it up for the freezer and make it only now and again.

My beans didn't have that "flavor" though. But now I know I can get them
with that sauce. Would probably cook, drain and add the sauce.

> Grin, cost is the main savings here. 1.19$ worth bag (8 oz) of red beans,
> 2 bell peppers (I use up to 4 but grow smaller heirloom types) estimate
> that would be 2$ most places? Chili powder to taste (lets add 5cents?)
> 3.24$ and you will have about 8 cans worth of beans. Using the crockpot
> which costs *way less* than stove topping in power, will run you about
> 15cents. (stove, as much as 2$). 3.39$ estimated for 8 cans worth?

Yes. Very cheap. But... When I made them I was eating beans for lunch
every day. Now I rarely eat lunch.

> Your prices may vary because your market may be smaller, but that's what
> I'd run here if I needed to buy the bell peppers. Since I grow my own, my
> cost is 1.39$ roughly.

Bell peppers can be expensive. Can get them at Costco for less but they're
not always fresh. Not sure if you can get just green either. I know they
sell a trio of colors. I just buy canned kidney and refried beans from
Costco by the case and make do most of the time with those.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Doe" > wrote in message
.com...
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 21:41:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> How do you make yours?

>> <snip>
>>>
>>> So how do you do the fish for your tacos? Assuming you eat
>>> them...
>>>

>> I make soft shell tacos. Heat the tortillas and keep them in a
>> tortilla "warmer" until ready to use. Use a firm white fish
>> fillet, any kind you like (you can even use shellfish - like
>> shrimp). I want my fish naked. I don't like it breaded or
>> even lightly coated in flour. Cook it to flaky doneness and use
>> two forks to pull it apart into chunks. Serve on soft corn
>> tortillas with whatever you like as condiments. It was just the
>> two of us last time; so I used diced avocado, sliced green
>> onions, store bought salsa, chopped lettuce and swirled some
>> chili powder into sour cream. I would have put out rice, beans
>> and a cabbage salad if there were more people to feed, but we
>> had 3 tacos each and were plenty full at the end of the meal.
>>
>> Next time you make yourself a bean taco, try using refried beans
>> and a little cheese. It's delicious.

> And makes you fatter.

Not if you use vegetarian or "fat free" refried beans. When I made my own
beans, I only added a bit of olive oil for mouth feel and mashed them with a
potato masher.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Doe" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> Omelet <ompomelet gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> John Doe > wrote:

>>> And makes you fatter.

>> Oh puleeze... It's called PORTION CONTROL!
>> Eat 1 or 2, not 6, and they will not contribute to making you fat!

> I just happen to read the ingredients label of refried beans a few days
> ago and noticed that it is much higher in the bad stuff than most other
> beans. And of course cheese is fatty.

There are many different kinds/brands of refried beans. And you can always
make your own.

Yes, cheese is fatty, but it also contains CLA (conjugated linoleic acid)
which aids in weight loss.

Fat isn't a bad thing in and of itself. Of course there are many different
kinds of fat. I do not think a person should eat mainly fried foods day
after day. Or mostly fatty cuts of meats or processed foods. But I don't
think we should be afraid of fat. Not that I eat a lot of it. I don't.
I've seen three dieticians who said I needed to add fat to my diet. What I
would eat naturally if left to my own devices is mainly vegetables. That's
just what I prefer. I don't eat avocados (probably technically a fruit, I
know) so aside from some nuts and a bit of cheese, there's not much fat in
my diet. I learned that butter isn't a bad thing. And I now add olive oil
to some things. By the time I saw the fourth dietician, I got it right.
She said I already knew how to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:09:05 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> My husband used to make
>> catfish but I'm not sure that would go well in a taco.

> *I* think it would. Use what you like - I also pick what's on sale.

Okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 21:41:15 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I had bean tacos myself. And I found the taste I've been looking for! I
>> made a post some time back asking about how to get the taste of canned
>> chili
>> beans in sauce without all the sugar. Taco Bell Table Sauce. Yep! It's
>> that flavor. Daughter didn't like it but husband and I had it on our
>> tacos.

> Chilli beans can just be made with canned beans simmered in a little
> of its juice with chile powder, [Mexican] oregano, diced onion and
> pressed garlic. I do it often. I like using black beans.
>
> No reason to use Taco Bell taco sauce (which is illegal unless you use
> it on actual Taco Bell food).

Good gawd! Would they actually bust into my house, guns ablazin' and arrest
me if I did so? I actually don't eat at Taco Bell. We have Taco Time and
Taco Del Mar here, both of which have fresh food. No crap in it like the
Bell. Not that I eat there often. Mexican food is pretty easy to make.
Well, what we eat of it is anyway...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 2/11/2011 11:41 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> So how do you do the fish for your tacos? Assuming you eat them...

> Since we try to avoid carbs here as much as possiblre, here's how I make
> them (BTW) this is (almost) how my favorite restaurant *in* Mexico does
> them)
>
> I use tilapia. In a large skillet put a tablespoon of EVOO and a
> tablespoon of butter. Melt. Place filets in the pan and sprinkle with
> cumin, granulated garlic and Mexican oregano. (You can add whatever other
> spices you like) Sprinkle with fresh lime juice. Sautee one side, flip
> the fish and season the other side the same way.
>
> When done, place some fish in a small tortilla (traditionally it is small
> soft corn tortillas, but we use low carb wheat) put a few sprigs of
> cilantro on the fish and some shredded cabbage. Sprinkle with more fresh
> lime juice and a dollop of Mexican sour cream, regular sour cream or even
> (my favorite) thick Greek yogurt) You can add some pico de gallo or
> jarred salsa if you are one of those misguided people who believe
> everything Mexican has to be hot.

Thanks! I don't believe Mexican food has to be hot but husband loves hot.

Tonight for dinner we had Jimmy Dean Skillet minus the eggs. When I bought
it, I didn't realize you were supposed to add eggs. It's basically chopped
potatoes, bacon, red and green peppers and onion. An easy thing to make
from scratch, I know, but I bought it as a quick sort of emergency meal. We
would normally have dinner out tonight with my parents. But everyone is
still slightly sick and not necessarily with the same thing so we decided to
keep our germs to ourselves. Sunday is my main grocery shopping day and I
really had nothing else in the house in enough quantity for all three of to
eat. So I made that.

I covered the top with cheese and let it melt. On his portion I drizzled
some habanero salsa. It's super hot. I tasted it. Then I put a scoop of
sour cream and another of guacamole. He wanted more! There was no more.
My portion is still in the pan. I wasn't ready to eat just yet. I made two
bags of the stuff which should have been 8 servings had I added the 12 eggs
as it said to do.

When it was just the two of us, I used to cook for 8. Seriously. He has
the biggest appetite of anyone I know. I have tried to cut back on what he
eats. He just heated some hot dogs in the microwave because it wasn't
enough food for him. Tonight my daughter asked me, "How much is a Bove
serving?" She knows how much a normal serving of something should be. But
in this house, that just doesn't work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> How do you make yours? I had seen them on restaurant menus but never gave
> them any thought because I am not a fish lover. But my mom has ordered them
> and the fish was breaded. Seemed like a lot of carbs to me! I have seen
> recipes online that call for unbreaded as well as breaded.

Sounds like a po' boy sandwich, but substituting tortillas
for bread. That gives you a texture contrast, disregarding
the saturated fat and the calories.

If you're going to eat crap like that, you may as well
shoot yourself right now.

By the way, I had a blood lipid panel two weeks ago.
Total triglycerides should be less than 200 mg/dL.
Mine are 51. HDL should be above 40 mg/dL, and more
than 60 is considered protective against cardiovascular
disease. Mine is 118.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Feb 2011 17:48:04 GMT, John Doe > wrote:

> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 21:41:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >

> > Next time you make yourself a bean taco, try using refried beans
> > and a little cheese. It's delicious.

> And makes you fatter.

Details, details. I doubt Julie is fat though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> How do you make yours? I had seen them on restaurant menus but never
>> gave
>> them any thought because I am not a fish lover. But my mom has ordered
>> them
>> and the fish was breaded. Seemed like a lot of carbs to me! I have seen
>> recipes online that call for unbreaded as well as breaded.

> Sounds like a po' boy sandwich, but substituting tortillas
> for bread. That gives you a texture contrast, disregarding
> the saturated fat and the calories.
>
> If you're going to eat crap like that, you may as well
> shoot yourself right now.
>
> By the way, I had a blood lipid panel two weeks ago.
> Total triglycerides should be less than 200 mg/dL.
> Mine are 51. HDL should be above 40 mg/dL, and more
> than 60 is considered protective against cardiovascular
> disease. Mine is 118.

How is a fish taco crap?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On 12 Feb 2011 17:48:04 GMT, John Doe > wrote:
>
>> sf > wrote:
>>
>> > On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 21:41:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> >

>> > Next time you make yourself a bean taco, try using refried beans
>> > and a little cheese. It's delicious.

>> And makes you fatter.

> Details, details. I doubt Julie is fat though.

I am.

> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

>"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

>> Sounds like a po' boy sandwich, but substituting tortillas
>> for bread. That gives you a texture contrast, disregarding
>> the saturated fat and the calories.

>> If you're going to eat crap like that, you may as well
>> shoot yourself right now.

>How is a fish taco crap?

I think Mark is assuming a fish taco has the nutrient balance
of a (seafood) Po' Boy but that's not typically true. In a Po' Boy,
the roll has way more carbs than do a couple tortillas,
the seafood is usually battered really heavily, and there
are not as many offsetting vegetables.

However, a fish taco with too much mayonnaise would be an issue.
(I use none.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Omelet > posted on Sat, 12
Feb 2011 13:48:55 -0600 the following:

> Note I said farm raised... :-) The difference in flavor is drastic.
> The water gets better circulation, but more importantly, catfish are
> scavengers. They eat lots of nasty and even putrid things in the wild.
>
> Farm raised catfish are fed a clean pelleted food.

I've never been impressed with most catfish touted as farm-raised. Until
it burned down, I used to eat at a place called Cypress Inn near Bossier
City, Louisiana. They were ranked first place in Atchafalaya catfish for
the area, but only third place overall. Apparently the first and second
place fish restaurants served regular farm-raised catfish, but then if
more people knew about those restaurants, but didn't know about Cypress
Inn, the other places would have ranked a bit higher. Cypress Inn was way
out of town, but every time we went, there was always a train of cars
going to or from the place. It was excellent and I have lots of great
childhood memories of going there to eat and enjoy the atmosphere.

Anyway, I can't find any information on the web about it, but from what I
remember hearing about Atchafalaya catfish before I ever had internet
access, the difference between Atchafalaya fish and regular farm-raised
fish is that the farm-raised fish are fed food pellets, like you said.
They don't have to chase their dinner. It's just there. Atchafalaya fish
are fed live food so they have to work a little to eat. The result is a
firmer, tastier fish, while the pellet-fed fish are softer, sometimes so
soft that they're a bit mushy, and they have a muddier taste.

That said, if all you've ever had is regular farm-raised fish, perhaps
that's good eatin' in your book. But I used to like Spaghettios, and now
I can't stand them because my homemade spaghetti is a lot better.
Similarly, I think if you tried Atchafalaya catfish, you'd still like
regular farm-raised catfish, but you'd prefer Atchafalaya if you can get
it. I can most certainly tell the difference, and so far, I've never
found a catfish restaurant that is as good as Cypress Inn was.

Ooo... I just checked their website. I didn't know this, but they opened
a new restaurant in 2008 to replace the one that burned down. I have a
trip to make!

http://theoriginalcypressinn.com/index.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Omelet > posted on Sat, 12
Feb 2011 07:07:25 -0600 the following:

> I've used well drained canned tuna

Tuna taco? That's slang for something else, you know.

http://www.georgecarlin.com/update_1...egenitals.html

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 18:37:05 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>>> No reason to use Taco Bell taco sauce (which is illegal unless you use
>>> it on actual Taco Bell food).

>> Good gawd! Would they actually bust into my house, guns ablazin' and
>> arrest
>> me if I did so?

> I forgot that Taco Bell sells bottles of their taco sauce in grocery
> stores. As long as you have your receipt, you should be OK.
>
> I bought a bottle of that stuff once a long time ago. Refills are
> free:
>
> http://img826.imageshack.us/i/tacosauce1.jpg/
>
> (But yes, I was kidding about it being illegal. It's a running joke
> of ours in AFF-F)

Ohhh...

Fish Tacos International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 11-07-2007 05:10 AM
REC: Fish Tacos Pete Romfh Diabetic 1 05-03-2006 11:14 PM
Fish tacos - not bad! Peter Aitken General Cooking 5 10-09-2005 11:25 AM
Fish Tacos Snowfeet1 General Cooking 7 04-11-2004 07:41 AM