Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spotted Dick & other puddings

I've never made, or even eaten a suet pudding. But looking at the
ingredients, I think I might like it.

A couple questions to anyone who has ventured into the UK pudding
realm. I see "ground suet" and "ground suet, rendered". Is
rendering just so necessary that some folks don't mention it-- or do
some folks use plain suet?

I've never rendered suet. Can it be ground after rendering or does it
stay more like lard or Crisco?

On the pudding basin. I've got some stainless bowls of about the
right size-- is the bowl important? I see most are ceramic.

Any cautions before I pick a recipe or start mixing?

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. 190.14...
> On Sun 05 Dec 2010 07:08:34a, Jim Elbrecht told us...
>
>> I've never made, or even eaten a suet pudding. But looking at
>> the ingredients, I think I might like it.
>>
>> A couple questions to anyone who has ventured into the UK pudding
>> realm. I see "ground suet" and "ground suet, rendered". Is
>> rendering just so necessary that some folks don't mention it-- or
>> do some folks use plain suet?

> Plain suet is a solic chunk of fat. Something must be done with it
> before using in recipes. It can be rendered as is, resulting in
> something akin to lard or Crisco in appearance and used similarly.
>
> In the UK, "shredded" or ground suet is commonly available in markets
> because many recipes specifically call for it in this form.

It's also available in the freezer sections of sms north of the 49th. I
used to buy it for xmas puds but I no longer make them - too calorific.
There are some pie recipes that specify a suet-based pastry crust.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> I've never made, or even eaten a suet pudding. But looking at the
> ingredients, I think I might like it.

It's a good hearty filling and warming dessert if you live in a cold
climate.

> A couple questions to anyone who has ventured into the UK pudding
> realm. I see "ground suet" and "ground suet, rendered". Is
> rendering just so necessary that some folks don't mention it-- or do
> some folks use plain suet?

Rendering would so change the suet that unless 'rendering' is specifically
mentioned do not do it.

Suet is usually grated before use - you buy it in the big chunk from the
butcher and then you pull off the thin membrane that covers the suet and
then you grate it - use the side on your hand grater that you would use to
grate cheddar cheese.

> I've never rendered suet. Can it be ground after rendering or does it
> stay more like lard or Crisco?

Rendering suet is easy - it's just like rendering any other fat - you're
left with liquid fat and a few soid bits to strain out, BUT unless you want
to use it as a straight fat (and not in a tradional suet pudding) don't
render it.

> On the pudding basin. I've got some stainless bowls of about the
> right size-- is the bowl important? I see most are ceramic.

No, the bowl is not particularly important except in 2 resects. It must be
large enough to accommodate the pudding with some expansion room, and
secondly, you must be able to get a good tied down top on it. Life is
easier if you have a pudding bowl with a lid that clips on such as this one:
http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/auction...is=0&freepost=

The best source of these is op/charity shops but probably not in the US
since these puds seem to be so unknown there.

> Any cautions before I pick a recipe or start mixing?

No, but this might be of some help to you as you put the cover on the
pudding bowl:
http://www.taste.com.au/how+to/artic...+pudding+basin

They are very simple and you can make them either as a dessert or as a main
meat course. Here's a man course meat pudding:
http://www.grouprecipes.com/17708/st...y-pudding.html