Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Big 10 inch

Bought it! Got it! It's a Shun. Bound to be fun!

Now, jes need a 10" or larger cutting board, mine being only
8"X9-3/4". Actually, it's an 8"X11", but the damn carrying handle
hole makes 1-1/4 inches of it completely useless. Who are these
freakin' morons who think an 8"X11" cutting board needs a damn carry
handle? I've seen 'em on boards even smaller. Likewise, many of
these mini-boards (wood) have a blood groove around the edge on one
side, like I'm gonna slice up a goose or prime rib on an 8"X10" board.

Evidently, people buy the damn things, cuz a) ppl are essentially
dumber than dust, b) there's no other alternative. I was shocked that
the knife shop where I jes got my new knife had zero polyethylene
cutting boards, of any size. Sure, they had some really nice Wusthof
maple cutting boards ....2-1/2" thick!! What the Hell do I want a
12"X14" by 2-1/2"thk $70 cutting board for!? World's most expensive
tire chock? DIY duck press?

Anyway, I gotta 9lb watermelon with my knife's name on it!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-08-08, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>> Bought it! Got it! It's a Shun. Bound to be fun!

> Is it the "Classic" line?

Yep.

> I make my cutting boards 12 1/2" wide because I have a 13" planer they have
> to go through. But I usually make them only about 3/4" thick.

Sounds perfect, Ed, but I need some room. I got this knife to make
short work of stuff like a whole cabbage when I do cole slaw. Plus, I
finally got off my high horse and will settle for a polyethylene
board. I've used them and they work fine. If I run across a good
maple board for a reasonable price, I'll get it, but I can buy a
15x20x3/4" NSF poly board for under $20. Good enough for me.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 02:37:40 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> Sounds perfect, Ed, but I need some room. I got this knife to make
> short work of stuff like a whole cabbage when I do cole slaw. Plus, I
> finally got off my high horse and will settle for a polyethylene
> board. I've used them and they work fine. If I run across a good
> maple board for a reasonable price, I'll get it, but I can buy a
> 15x20x3/4" NSF poly board for under $20. Good enough for me.

You have options... when is your DD coming for a visit? Ask her to
bring one with her.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Bought it! Got it! It's a Shun. Bound to be fun!
>
> Now, jes need a 10" or larger cutting board, mine being only
> 8"X9-3/4". Actually, it's an 8"X11", but the damn carrying handle
> hole makes 1-1/4 inches of it completely useless. Who are these
> freakin' morons who think an 8"X11" cutting board needs a damn carry
> handle? I've seen 'em on boards even smaller. Likewise, many of
> these mini-boards (wood) have a blood groove around the edge on one
> side, like I'm gonna slice up a goose or prime rib on an 8"X10" board.
>
> Evidently, people buy the damn things, cuz a) ppl are essentially
> dumber than dust, b) there's no other alternative. I was shocked that
> the knife shop where I jes got my new knife had zero polyethylene
> cutting boards, of any size. Sure, they had some really nice Wusthof
> maple cutting boards ....2-1/2" thick!! What the Hell do I want a
> 12"X14" by 2-1/2"thk $70 cutting board for!? World's most expensive
> tire chock? DIY duck press?
>
> Anyway, I gotta 9lb watermelon with my knife's name on it!
>
> nb

nb... I don't know about your knife but I have a 2-1/2" thick 12X14 board.
The reason I like it is it will easily handle that watermelon. Use a
cleaver, it won't break the board. I use mine for chopping hard shelled
winter squashes (butternut, acorn) in half. They aren't exactly easy to
crack, but the board can handle it.

Oh, and that "blood groove" you mentioned? Yes, when I slice a rare flank
steak the juices need somewhere to go. Sure, serve it (or prime rib) au
jus... but if you don't have the groove in the cutting board the juices just
run all over the counter. The extra thick boards work well for cutting up
chicken., too.

I wouldn't pay $70 for one. I don't recall what I paid for mine but $20
sounds about right. You seem to be stuck on name brands so maybe that's a
problem. I sure wouldn't waste my money on polyethylene. I don't care what
the guy at the knife shop told you... that stuff will dull the blade. But
then again, he probably just wants to sell you another knife

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 21:45:55 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
>> What the Hell do I want a
>> 12"X14" by 2-1/2"thk $70 cutting board for!? World's most expensive
>> tire chock? DIY duck press?

> To absorb the shock of the meat cleaver and allow for
> sanding/refinishing.
>
> -sw

Exactly! I can't imagine using a plastic (polyetheline) cutting board. I
can't think of a faster way to dull a knife.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-08-08, jmcquown > wrote:

> nb... I don't know about your knife but I have a 2-1/2" thick 12X14 board.

What's that sucker weigh? More than I care to deal with, I'm sure.

> Oh, and that "blood groove" you mentioned? Yes, when I slice a rare flank
> steak the juices need somewhere to go.

It's not the concept of a groove or gutter or whatever it's called,
it's the fact they put them on boards that are way too small. Having
jes done a flank steak, I can definitely see the need, jes not on a
8x10" board.

> You seem to be stuck on name brands so maybe that's a
> problem.

How do you figure? I bought a great knife. Should I have called it,
"that really sharp knife from Japan"? Would you know what I was
talking about? Same with the Wusthof board. That's who made it. I
jes mentioned it. It wasn't an endorsement.

> I sure wouldn't waste my money on polyethylene. I don't care what
> the guy at the knife shop told you... that stuff will dull the
> blade.

You have documented proof of this?

> But
> then again, he probably just wants to sell you another knife

The knife I bought recommends poly boards, among others. They also
offer to resharpen their knife for free, should it need it. I doubt
they would purposely recommend something that creates unnecessary
work/cost for themselves.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 21:45:55 GMT, notbob wrote:

> Evidently, people buy the damn things, cuz a) ppl are essentially
> dumber than dust, b) there's no other alternative. I was shocked that
> the knife shop where I jes got my new knife had zero polyethylene
> cutting boards, of any size.

i'm not surprised. they're hell on the knife edge.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote:

>"notbob" wrote:
>>
>> Now, jes need a 10" or larger cutting board, mine being only
>> 8"X9-3/4". Actually, it's an 8"X11", but the damn carrying handle
>> hole makes 1-1/4 inches of it completely useless.

Those holes make it easier to lift the board from a wet countertop,
helps break the vacuum. 8"X11" is kind of small, my favorate plastic
board is 9"X14"... minus 2" for the hole. I have lots of larger
boards but I tend to choose the smallest board that does the job. I've
seen too many people use a huge heavy board just to slice a
sandwhich... I've seen where people leave the same hunk of tree out on
their counter for who knows how long and never clean it other than a
swipe with a dirty schmatah.

>Oh, and that "blood groove" you mentioned? Yes, when I slice a rare flank
>steak the juices need somewhere to go. Sure, serve it (or prime rib) au
>jus... but if you don't have the groove in the cutting board the juices just
>run all over the counter.

Isn't that what jelly roll pans are for? Even when I carve a large
roast I place my large BooS carving board inside a roasting pan - can
carve right at the table on good linen with no mess. When I defrost
meat in the fridge the package goes into some piece of bakeware, I
hate opening my fridge first thing in the morning to find puddles of
blood running all over even down into and under the veggie bins, don't
tell me yoose never... it's much easier to wash a small pan than the
entire fridge. I have plastic planter dishes that serve as coasters
that fit 2 qt milk and juice cartons. With cats I have enough
cleaning, I don't want to clean stupid unneccesary drips.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-08-08, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> helps break the vacuum. 8"X11" is kind of small, my favorate plastic
> board is 9"X14"... minus 2" for the hole.

My go-to board was a 10"x10" maple. I wish I could find another.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

>> Now, jes need a 10" or larger cutting board, mine being only
>> 8"X9-3/4". Actually, it's an 8"X11", but the damn carrying handle
>> hole makes 1-1/4 inches of it completely useless. Who are these
>> freakin' morons who think an 8"X11" cutting board needs a damn carry
>> handle? I've seen 'em on boards even smaller. Likewise, many of
>> these mini-boards (wood) have a blood groove around the edge on one
>> side, like I'm gonna slice up a goose or prime rib on an 8"X10" board.

> Oh, and that "blood groove" you mentioned? Yes, when I slice a rare flank
> steak the juices need somewhere to go. Sure, serve it (or prime rib) au
> jus... but if you don't have the groove in the cutting board the juices
> just run all over the counter.

He didn't say anything bad about the *concept* of the blood groove, just
saying that it's silly to put one on a board which is tiny, because you're
not going to use a tiny board like that to cut up anything large enough for
the blood groove to make a difference.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 21:45:55 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
>> What the Hell do I want a
>> 12"X14" by 2-1/2"thk $70 cutting board for!? World's most expensive
>> tire chock? DIY duck press?

> To absorb the shock of the meat cleaver and allow for
> sanding/refinishing.
>
> -sw

Don't thicker boards resist warping better?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 11:10:15 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 21:45:55 GMT, notbob wrote:
>

>> Evidently, people buy the damn things, cuz a) ppl are essentially
>> dumber than dust, b) there's no other alternative. I was shocked that
>> the knife shop where I jes got my new knife had zero polyethylene
>> cutting boards, of any size.

Because they're inexpensive so they can't make much profit on them.

>i'm not surprised. they're hell on the knife edge.

Nonsense. Wood is more abrasive, especially hardwoods... next your
finger nails are too long scratch your head.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 15:48:16 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2010-08-08, brooklyn1 > wrote:
>> helps break the vacuum. 8"X11" is kind of small, my favorate plastic
>> board is 9"X14"... minus 2" for the hole.

>My go-to board was a 10"x10" maple. I wish I could find another.
>
>nb

Most any lumber yard... even Lowes sells various hardwoods.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2010 10:30 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> Bought it! Got it! It's a Shun. Bound to be fun!
>>
>> Now, jes need a 10" or larger cutting board, mine being only
>> 8"X9-3/4". Actually, it's an 8"X11", but the damn carrying handle
>> hole makes 1-1/4 inches of it completely useless. Who are these
>> freakin' morons who think an 8"X11" cutting board needs a damn carry
>> handle? I've seen 'em on boards even smaller. Likewise, many of
>> these mini-boards (wood) have a blood groove around the edge on one
>> side, like I'm gonna slice up a goose or prime rib on an 8"X10" board.
>>
>> Evidently, people buy the damn things, cuz a) ppl are essentially
>> dumber than dust, b) there's no other alternative. I was shocked that
>> the knife shop where I jes got my new knife had zero polyethylene
>> cutting boards, of any size. Sure, they had some really nice Wusthof
>> maple cutting boards ....2-1/2" thick!! What the Hell do I want a
>> 12"X14" by 2-1/2"thk $70 cutting board for!? World's most expensive
>> tire chock? DIY duck press?
>>
>> Anyway, I gotta 9lb watermelon with my knife's name on it!
>>
>> nb

> nb... I don't know about your knife but I have a 2-1/2" thick 12X14
> board. The reason I like it is it will easily handle that watermelon.
> Use a cleaver, it won't break the board. I use mine for chopping hard
> shelled winter squashes (butternut, acorn) in half. They aren't exactly
> easy to crack, but the board can handle it.
>
> Oh, and that "blood groove" you mentioned? Yes, when I slice a rare
> flank steak the juices need somewhere to go. Sure, serve it (or prime
> rib) au jus... but if you don't have the groove in the cutting board the
> juices just run all over the counter. The extra thick boards work well
> for cutting up chicken., too.
>
> I wouldn't pay $70 for one. I don't recall what I paid for mine but $20
> sounds about right. You seem to be stuck on name brands so maybe that's
> a problem. I sure wouldn't waste my money on polyethylene. I don't care
> what the guy at the knife shop told you... that stuff will dull the
> blade. But then again, he probably just wants to sell you another knife

Maple will dull your knife too. The only way to keep from dulling your
knife is to not use it. Learn to put an edge on it and don't worry
about it.

As for cutting boards, if you don't like what you see in stores, go to
<http://www.mcmaster.com> and find whatever strikes your fancy. They
have FDA approved polyethylene sheet from 6x12x1/32 to 4'x8'x4".

For 25 bucks you can get a 1 foot by 2 foot by 5/8 sheet of FDA-approved
translucent low density polyethylene that should make a dandy cutting
board. For 35 you can get the same size in white high density.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 8, 11:31*am, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
> On 8/8/2010 10:30 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

> > "notbob" > wrote in message
> >> Bought it! Got it! It's a Shun. Bound to be fun!

> >> Now, jes need a 10" or larger cutting board, mine being only
> >> 8"X9-3/4". Actually, it's an 8"X11", but the damn carrying handle
> >> hole makes 1-1/4 inches of it completely useless. Who are these
> >> freakin' morons who think an 8"X11" cutting board needs a damn carry
> >> handle? I've seen 'em on boards even smaller. Likewise, many of
> >> these mini-boards (wood) have a blood groove around the edge on one
> >> side, like I'm gonna slice up a goose or prime rib on an 8"X10" board.

> >> Evidently, people buy the damn things, cuz a) ppl are essentially
> >> dumber than dust, b) there's no other alternative. I was shocked that
> >> the knife shop where I jes got my new knife had zero polyethylene
> >> cutting boards, of any size. Sure, they had some really nice Wusthof
> >> maple cutting boards ....2-1/2" thick!! What the Hell do I want a
> >> 12"X14" by 2-1/2"thk $70 cutting board for!? World's most expensive
> >> tire chock? DIY duck press?

> >> Anyway, I gotta 9lb watermelon with my knife's name on it!

> >> nb

> > nb... I don't know about your knife but I have a 2-1/2" thick 12X14
> > board. The reason I like it is it will easily handle that watermelon.
> > Use a cleaver, it won't break the board. I use mine for chopping hard
> > shelled winter squashes (butternut, acorn) in half. They aren't exactly
> > easy to crack, but the board can handle it.

> > Oh, and that "blood groove" you mentioned? Yes, when I slice a rare
> > flank steak the juices need somewhere to go. Sure, serve it (or prime
> > rib) au jus... but if you don't have the groove in the cutting board the
> > juices just run all over the counter. The extra thick boards work well
> > for cutting up chicken., too.

> > I wouldn't pay $70 for one. I don't recall what I paid for mine but $20
> > sounds about right. You seem to be stuck on name brands so maybe that's
> > a problem. I sure wouldn't waste my money on polyethylene. I don't care
> > what the guy at the knife shop told you... that stuff will dull the
> > blade. But then again, he probably just wants to sell you another knife

> Maple will dull your knife too. *The only way to keep from dulling your
> knife is to not use it. *Learn to put an edge on it and don't worry
> about it.
>
> As for cutting boards, if you don't like what you see in stores, go to
> <http://www.mcmaster.com> and find whatever strikes your fancy. *They
> have FDA approved polyethylene sheet from 6x12x1/32 to 4'x8'x4".
>
> For 25 bucks you can get a 1 foot by 2 foot by 5/8 sheet of FDA-approved
> translucent low density polyethylene that should make a dandy cutting
> board. *For 35 you can get the same size in white high density.

==
Way to go. Wooden butcher blocks or cutting boards are no longer
approved. Wood is porous and hard to sanitize.
==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-08-08, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> > helps break the vacuum. 8"X11" is kind of small, my favorate plastic
> > board is 9"X14"... minus 2" for the hole.

> My go-to board was a 10"x10" maple. I wish I could find another.
>
> nb

Like this?
http://www.servu-online.com/Cutlery-...ers/Serv-U-Pro
ducts-JNBZ-2156.asp

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote

> Don't thicker boards resist warping better?
>
> gloria p

Yes, depending on how they are made.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-08-08, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Like this?
> http://www.servu-online.com/Cutlery-...ers/Serv-U-Pro
> ducts-JNBZ-2156.asp

Jinkies, Barb! Thank you so much. I looked and looked about a year
ago and found nothing. I'll give 'em a call, tomorrow. w00t!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 11:09:08 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
wrote:

>==
>Way to go. Wooden butcher blocks or cutting boards are no longer
>approved.
>==

Sez who?

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-08-08, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > Like this?
> > http://www.servu-online.com/Cutlery-...ers/Serv-U-Pro
> > ducts-JNBZ-2156.asp

> Jinkies, Barb! Thank you so much. I looked and looked about a year
> ago and found nothing. I'll give 'em a call, tomorrow. w00t!
>
> nb

A year ago? A YEAR ago? You want to buy me a coffee or something in
gratitude, right? I accept. :-) You're welcome. I hope they come
through for you.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew;
sometimes in a pickle."
Where are my pearls, Honey?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-08-08, Ross@home <Ross@home> wrote:

> Sez who?

Most Depts of Health and Sanitation. In many areas, poly boards must
also be color coded by food type and not used for food other than
designated. It's a state-by-state, county, city, etc, thing. All
nonsense, but that's life in the 21st century.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 21:45:55 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Bought it! Got it! It's a Shun. Bound to be fun!

Squeaks, Christine and I went to William Sonoma this morning and saw
those knives there, I was drooling over them. They look high quality
and not to mention beautiful. Good for you, I hope you enjoy it.

>nb

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 08/02/10
Watkins natural spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Bought it! Got it! It's a Shun. Bound to be fun!
>
> Now, jes need a 10" or larger cutting board, mine being only
> 8"X9-3/4". Actually, it's an 8"X11", but the damn carrying handle
> hole makes 1-1/4 inches of it completely useless. Who are these
> freakin' morons who think an 8"X11" cutting board needs a damn carry
> handle? I've seen 'em on boards even smaller. Likewise, many of
> these mini-boards (wood) have a blood groove around the edge on one
> side, like I'm gonna slice up a goose or prime rib on an 8"X10" board.
>
> Evidently, people buy the damn things, cuz a) ppl are essentially
> dumber than dust, b) there's no other alternative. I was shocked that
> the knife shop where I jes got my new knife had zero polyethylene
> cutting boards, of any size. Sure, they had some really nice Wusthof
> maple cutting boards ....2-1/2" thick!! What the Hell do I want a
> 12"X14" by 2-1/2"thk $70 cutting board for!? World's most expensive
> tire chock? DIY duck press?
>
> Anyway, I gotta 9lb watermelon with my knife's name on it!
>
> nb

Until you get a suitably sized cutting board, you can try using your current
board on the diagonal. Or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-08-09, koko > wrote:

> Squeaks, Christine and I went to William Sonoma this morning and saw
> those knives there, I was drooling over them. They look high quality
> and not to mention beautiful. Good for you, I hope you enjoy it.

You ladies made it out of the house!? Musta prescribed red beers.

This thing is killing me. I can't bring myself to taint that damn
gorgeous blade. But, I have some tomatoes for tomorrow. Gonna
christen this baby on a batch of pico de gallo. Thick skinned romas
and jalepenos, Spanish onions, and fresh leaf cilantro. That's a good
test to see jes how sharp this baby really is and how well it can do
delicate work (chiles).

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 02:04:07 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> and how well it can do delicate work (chiles).

Chiles are easy... it's chopping those cilantro leaves that's hard.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2010 5:21 PM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 11:09:08 -0700 (PDT), >
> wrote:
>
>> ==
>> Way to go. Wooden butcher blocks or cutting boards are no longer
>> approved.
>> ==

> Sez who?

The government.

However research has shown that (a) wood sequesters bacteria--they are
present but don't get transferred to the food, (b) microwaving a wood
cutting board for 3-4 minutes will effectively sanitize it (this doesn't
work for plastics), (c) running a plastic cutting board through the
dishwasher effectively sanitizes it but a plastic cutting board with
knife scars _cannot_ be satisfactorily cleaned by hand-washing.

Bottom line is that they're both fine if you know how to use them.

<http://www.woodworking.co.uk/Technical/Bacteria/bacteria.html> has a
summary of the research, with a listing of publications. To read the
full text of the publications you're either going to have to pay money
or find them in a library.

> Ross.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 08:28:04 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>On 8/8/2010 5:21 PM, Ross@home wrote:
>> On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 11:09:08 -0700 (PDT), >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> ==
>>> Way to go. Wooden butcher blocks or cutting boards are no longer
>>> approved.
>>> ==

>> Sez who?

>The government.
>
>However research has shown that (a) wood sequesters bacteria--they are
>present but don't get transferred to the food, (b) microwaving a wood
>cutting board for 3-4 minutes will effectively sanitize it (this doesn't
>work for plastics), (c) running a plastic cutting board through the
>dishwasher effectively sanitizes it but a plastic cutting board with
>knife scars _cannot_ be satisfactorily cleaned by hand-washing.
>
>Bottom line is that they're both fine if you know how to use them.
>
><http://www.woodworking.co.uk/Technical/Bacteria/bacteria.html> has a
>summary of the research, with a listing of publications. To read the
>full text of the publications you're either going to have to pay money
>or find them in a library.

I think research with results stating HDPE is better/safer than Wood
and then other research stating Wood is better/safer then HDPE has
been going on for years.
It's been about 20 years since we had our own animals slaughtered and
custom butchered. Our butcher at the time was forced to replace his
huge, ancient, dove-tailed, end-grained maple butcher block with a
light weight, HDPE topped, stainless steel contraption and he sold me
the maple block. It had the typical slightly concave top from years of
cleaver blows as well as the cleaning and scraping. I intended to
build a jig incorporating a big router to resurface the top and make
it flat again. It was going to be a sort of conversation piece table
in our kitchen. But, it's just another thing I never got around to and
the block still sits out in my workshop exactly as it was. I can't
even move it myself, the block alone is 41" X 31" X 15" deep, weighs
over 500 lb. and the legs are probably another 20 lb. each. I'm sure
that sucker never bounced when a side of beef was worked on.
I guess it'll be just another thing for someone to get rid of after
I'm gone.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 12:42:53 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 11:10:15 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 21:45:55 GMT, notbob wrote:
>>

>>> Evidently, people buy the damn things, cuz a) ppl are essentially
>>> dumber than dust, b) there's no other alternative. I was shocked that
>>> the knife shop where I jes got my new knife had zero polyethylene
>>> cutting boards, of any size.

> Because they're inexpensive so they can't make much profit on them.
>
>>i'm not surprised. they're hell on the knife edge.

> Nonsense. Wood is more abrasive, especially hardwoods... next your
> finger nails are too long scratch your head.

how does 'abrasive' enter into it?

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-08-09, J. Clarke > wrote:

> However research has shown that (a) wood sequesters bacteria--they are
> present but don't get transferred to the food,

Not very comforting nor conclusive, contradicting research showing
wood has no effect on bacteria.

> (b) microwaving a wood cutting board for 3-4 minutes will
> effectively sanitize it (this doesn't work for plastics),

Why the heck not? The plastic will melt? Not likely. Besides, you
start nuking laminated wood cutting boards (most are) and you start
degrading the glue that holds them together.

> (c) running a plastic cutting board through the
> dishwasher effectively sanitizes it but a plastic cutting board with
> knife scars _cannot_ be satisfactorily cleaned by hand-washing.

Horsecrap! It's called chlorine, the common name being "bleach". Mix it
10:1, water to bleach, and it kills any and everything you might have
a problem with with respect to food borne pathogens.

> Bottom line is that they're both fine if you know how to use them.

Agreed. Good sanitation practices are the most important.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2010 12:42 PM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 08:28:04 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> > wrote:
>
>> On 8/8/2010 5:21 PM, Ross@home wrote:

>>> Sez who?

>> The government.
>>
>> However research has shown that (a) wood sequesters bacteria--they are
>> present but don't get transferred to the food, (b) microwaving a wood
>> cutting board for 3-4 minutes will effectively sanitize it (this doesn't
>> work for plastics), (c) running a plastic cutting board through the
>> dishwasher effectively sanitizes it but a plastic cutting board with
>> knife scars _cannot_ be satisfactorily cleaned by hand-washing.
>>
>> Bottom line is that they're both fine if you know how to use them.
>>
>> <http://www.woodworking.co.uk/Technical/Bacteria/bacteria.html> has a
>> summary of the research, with a listing of publications. To read the
>> full text of the publications you're either going to have to pay money
>> or find them in a library.

> I think research with results stating HDPE is better/safer than Wood
> and then other research stating Wood is better/safer then HDPE has
> been going on for years.

Do you know of any published experimental results that conflict with the
above research? Not government regulations or advisories, but published
experimental results?

> It's been about 20 years since we had our own animals slaughtered and
> custom butchered. Our butcher at the time was forced to replace his
> huge, ancient, dove-tailed, end-grained maple butcher block with a
> light weight, HDPE topped, stainless steel contraption and he sold me
> the maple block. It had the typical slightly concave top from years of
> cleaver blows as well as the cleaning and scraping. I intended to
> build a jig incorporating a big router to resurface the top and make
> it flat again. It was going to be a sort of conversation piece table
> in our kitchen. But, it's just another thing I never got around to and
> the block still sits out in my workshop exactly as it was. I can't
> even move it myself, the block alone is 41" X 31" X 15" deep, weighs
> over 500 lb. and the legs are probably another 20 lb. each. I'm sure
> that sucker never bounced when a side of beef was worked on.
> I guess it'll be just another thing for someone to get rid of after
> I'm gone.
>
> Ross.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 13:33:49 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>On 8/9/2010 12:42 PM, Ross@home wrote:
>> On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 08:28:04 -0400, "J. Clarke"
>> > wrote:

>>> The government.
>>>
>>> However research has shown that (a) wood sequesters bacteria--they are
>>> present but don't get transferred to the food, (b) microwaving a wood
>>> cutting board for 3-4 minutes will effectively sanitize it (this doesn't
>>> work for plastics), (c) running a plastic cutting board through the
>>> dishwasher effectively sanitizes it but a plastic cutting board with
>>> knife scars _cannot_ be satisfactorily cleaned by hand-washing.
>>>
>>> Bottom line is that they're both fine if you know how to use them.
>>>
>>> <http://www.woodworking.co.uk/Technical/Bacteria/bacteria.html> has a
>>> summary of the research, with a listing of publications. To read the
>>> full text of the publications you're either going to have to pay money
>>> or find them in a library.

>> I think research with results stating HDPE is better/safer than Wood
>> and then other research stating Wood is better/safer then HDPE has
>> been going on for years.

>Do you know of any published experimental results that conflict with the
>above research? Not government regulations or advisories, but published
>experimental results?

There has been lots of research but, finding published results is
another thing.
http://www.fefpeb.eu/wood-food/libra...fic-references

That being said, I am not arguing in favour of cutting boards made of
material other than wood.
I love my wood cutting boards. I've tried HDPE and very quickly found
other uses for them in the workshop. Some of them ended up as parts of
a few wind chimes I made.
If my government banned the sale of wooden cutting boards effective
immediately, the ones I now own will last a lot longer than will I.
I have the study referred to above copied and filed in my documents.
http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/fa...ttingboard.htm

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Scary sharp! ( was Big 10 inch)

On 2010-08-07, notbob > wrote:
> Bought it! Got it! It's a Shun. Bound to be fun!

Holy freakin' crap! I love this knife, but I'm now a bit scared of
it.

I was making pico de gallo, my new knife slicing through tomatoes like
they're yogurt. I take special care to be very cautious in my knife
handling, the blade against the knuckles which are all tucked in, etc.
Jacques would be proud. Hello! New danger. I was done slicing, was
holding the blade slightly above left hand as I cleared away some
tomato bits on the board. I raised my left hand and my thumb nail jes
barely brushed a glancing touch to the cutting edge of the blade. Cut
a divet right out of my thumbnail, ferchrysakes!! Like my nail was
yogurt. Yikes!

I never used a straight razor, but I now think I know how sharp they
really are. This thing is freakin' awesome. Time for a whole new
level of knife safety awareness. <gulp>

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-08-07, notbob > wrote:
> > Bought it! Got it! It's a Shun. Bound to be fun!

> Holy freakin' crap! I love this knife, but I'm now a bit scared of
> it.

> barely brushed a glancing touch to the cutting edge of the blade. Cut
> a divet right out of my thumbnail, ferchrysakes!! Like my nail was
> yogurt. Yikes!
>
> I never used a straight razor, but I now think I know how sharp they
> really are. This thing is freakin' awesome. Time for a whole new
> level of knife safety awareness. <gulp>
>
> nb

?Cuidado, Stubby?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew;
sometimes in a pickle."
Where are my pearls, Honey?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 02:10:52 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> Holy freakin' crap! I love this knife, but I'm now a bit scared of
> it.

Wait for the blade to dull a bit. The knives I buy are always that
way right out of the starting gate.

I also feel that way after I've had my knives professionally
sharpened... that's when I cut myself by accident. They are "too
sharp"! The slightest brush takes skin with it.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 12:42:53 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 11:10:15 -0400, blake murphy
> > > wrote:

> > Because they're inexpensive so they can't make much profit on them.
> >
> >>i'm not surprised. they're hell on the knife edge.

> > Nonsense. Wood is more abrasive, especially hardwoods... next your
> > finger nails are too long scratch your head.

> how does 'abrasive' enter into it?

Some hardwoods have tiny mineral inclusions (rosewood is a good
example). There's a market for "pretty" cutting boards. Some cutting
boards are good looking but bad for knives. People buy 'em and use 'em
anyway.

Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 02:10:52 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> > Holy freakin' crap! I love this knife, but I'm now a bit scared of
> > it.

> Wait for the blade to dull a bit. The knives I buy are always that
> way right out of the starting gate.

I think there's a higher risk with a duller knife. It makes you push
harder, and when it finally gets going, look out!

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2010 8:25 PM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 13:33:49 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> > wrote:
>
>> On 8/9/2010 12:42 PM, Ross@home wrote:
>>> On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 08:28:04 -0400, "J. Clarke"

>>> I think research with results stating HDPE is better/safer than Wood
>>> and then other research stating Wood is better/safer then HDPE has
>>> been going on for years.

>> Do you know of any published experimental results that conflict with the
>> above research? Not government regulations or advisories, but published
>> experimental results?

> There has been lots of research but, finding published results is
> another thing.
> http://www.fefpeb.eu/wood-food/libra...fic-references

And most of the papers listed there that relate to cutting boards and
not crates and the like are the same Cliver papers cited earlier. There
are a few others that basically confirm Cliver.

So there doesn't appear to be any of that "back and forth" that you
assert to exist.

> That being said, I am not arguing in favour of cutting boards made of
> material other than wood.
> I love my wood cutting boards. I've tried HDPE and very quickly found
> other uses for them in the workshop. Some of them ended up as parts of
> a few wind chimes I made.
> If my government banned the sale of wooden cutting boards effective
> immediately, the ones I now own will last a lot longer than will I.
> I have the study referred to above copied and filed in my documents.
> http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/fa...ttingboard.htm
>
> Ross.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 22:19:24 -0700, isw > wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 02:10:52 GMT, notbob > wrote:
> >
> > > Holy freakin' crap! I love this knife, but I'm now a bit scared of
> > > it.

> > Wait for the blade to dull a bit. The knives I buy are always that
> > way right out of the starting gate.

> I think there's a higher risk with a duller knife. It makes you push
> harder, and when it finally gets going, look out!

I'm not advocating blunt knives; I'm just saying a knife that's not
super sharp can be better managed by mere mortals... at least that's
the way it is in my case. I know the difference.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>> Bought it! Got it! It's a Shun. Bound to be fun!

> Holy freakin' crap! I love this knife, but I'm now a bit scared of> it.

Hello! New danger. I was done slicing, was
> holding the blade slightly above left hand as I cleared away some> tomato
> bits on the board. I raised my left hand and my thumb nail jes
> barely brushed a glancing touch to the cutting edge of the blade. Cut> a
> divet right out of my thumbnail, ferchrysakes!! Like my nail was
> yogurt. Yikes!

There is a rule: never hold a knife over anything unless you mean to cut it.
You just have to unlearn the careless habits you've developed using dull
knives.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:40:56 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> There is a rule: never hold a knife over anything unless you mean to cut it.
> You just have to unlearn the careless habits you've developed using dull
> knives.

Thank you.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.