Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default non stick pan

I need to replace my decent, but el cheapo nonstick fry pan. I have
several Calpholon pots & pans, but no Calpholon saute/fry pans and am
not considering anodized as a replacement pan - so that's off the
table. I also have several (well seasoned) cast iron pans of various
sizes, so that's off the table too.

I've bought expensive nonstick pans and el cheapo nonstick pans -
frankly they all wore about the same. I'm wondering what the hardest
coating available is now. I found this on the internet
http://www.swissdiamondusa.com/ tonight and I have seen the
advertisement on TV where they shake jagged rocks in a speckled pan.
I know a lot of you buy the latest and greatest without batting an
eyelash, and I know others shop on TV... so what did you buy and what
did you think of the purchase (how does it look/function 5 years
later)? I'd like to hear your experiences.

TIA

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

sf wrote:

> I need to replace my decent, but el cheapo nonstick fry pan. I have
> several Calpholon pots & pans, but no Calpholon saute/fry pans and am
> not considering anodized as a replacement pan - so that's off the
> table. I also have several (well seasoned) cast iron pans of various
> sizes, so that's off the table too.
>
> I've bought expensive nonstick pans and el cheapo nonstick pans -
> frankly they all wore about the same. I'm wondering what the hardest
> coating available is now. I found this on the internet
> http://www.swissdiamondusa.com/ tonight and I have seen the
> advertisement on TV where they shake jagged rocks in a speckled pan.
> I know a lot of you buy the latest and greatest without batting an
> eyelash, and I know others shop on TV... so what did you buy and what
> did you think of the purchase (how does it look/function 5 years
> later)? I'd like to hear your experiences.

Highe thee over to RFE (rec.food.equipment)) to read the latest ongoing
thread(s) there about nonstick and non-nonstick cookware <G>.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I need to replace my decent, but el cheapo nonstick fry pan. I have
> several Calpholon pots & pans, but no Calpholon saute/fry pans and am
> not considering anodized as a replacement pan - so that's off the
> table. I also have several (well seasoned) cast iron pans of various
> sizes, so that's off the table too.
>
> I've bought expensive nonstick pans and el cheapo nonstick pans -
> frankly they all wore about the same. I'm wondering what the hardest
> coating available is now. I found this on the internet
> http://www.swissdiamondusa.com/ tonight and I have seen the
> advertisement on TV where they shake jagged rocks in a speckled pan.
> I know a lot of you buy the latest and greatest without batting an
> eyelash, and I know others shop on TV... so what did you buy and what
> did you think of the purchase (how does it look/function 5 years
> later)? I'd like to hear your experiences.

Sam's has some pretty decent non-stick coated aluminum pans in their
commercial "Bakers and Chefs" line. A 2pk or the non stick 8" pans runs
$15 or so. I picked up a pack of these pans to stock my camper, but
found that they are really quite good, decent non-stick that is fairly
durable, relatively heavy aluminum construction, and slide off rubber
handle covers. One of the two pans ended up in my regular kitchen and
has seen frequent use for about 4 years now and is still in good
condition.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joe Dildoe wrote:
>sf wrote:
>
>> I know a lot of you buy the latest and greatest without batting an
>> eyelash, and I know others shop on TV... so what did you buy and what
>> did you think of the purchase (how does it look/function 5 years
>> later)? I'd like to hear your experiences.

>The Bialetti pans at CostCo are a steal. Set of 3 for around $22,
>they have lasted me 4+ years with only a couple minor nicks due to
>my carelessness Doesn't affect performance at all.
>
>They have a slightly newer design available right now, but they
>look like the same great quality - I've bought those too about 6
>months ago, for when this current set ever dies. They still
>remain shrinkwrapped. They don't get and better and cheaper than
>this.
>
>My last T-fal lasted 7 months, and that was having to tighten the
>handle every time I used it - finally the riveting popped though
>the pan.

People who know how to cook don't want non stick coated cookware...
non-stick coatings are the same as training wheels... use non
stick/training wheels long enough you'll never learn how to cook/ride.
For those like Joe D/"sf" non stick coatings are their cooking
dildoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 2, 10:20*am, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> Joe Dildoe wrote:
> >sf wrote:

> >> I know a lot of you buy the latest and greatest without batting an
> >> eyelash, and I know others shop on TV... so what did you buy and what
> >> did you think of the purchase (how does it look/function 5 years
> >> later)? *I'd like to hear your experiences.

> >The Bialetti pans at CostCo are a steal. *Set of 3 for around $22,
> >they have lasted me 4+ years with only a couple minor nicks due to
> >my carelessness *Doesn't affect performance at all. *

> >They have a slightly newer design available right now, but they
> >look like the same great quality - I've bought those too about 6
> >months ago, for when this current set ever dies. *They still
> >remain shrinkwrapped. *They don't get and better and cheaper than
> >this. *

> >My last T-fal lasted 7 months, and that was having to tighten the
> >handle every time I used it - finally the riveting popped though
> >the pan.

> People who know how to cook don't want non stick coated cookware...
> non-stick coatings are the same as training wheels... use non
> stick/training wheels long enough you'll never learn how to cook/ride.
> For those like Joe D/"sf" non stick coatings are their cooking
> dildoes.

==
Now I've heard everything. "Cooking dildos" eh?...I thought those were
the people doing the cooking...gawd this forum is so informative.
==

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 1, 11:08 pm, sf > wrote:
> I need to replace my decent, but el cheapo nonstick fry pan.

The last time I had that same need I went to a decent el cheapo place
like Smart & Final or Target and bought whatever they had that looked
decent.

I don't want the Costco set even if they are good quality and value
because I only use the 8" or 9" for eggs. The others have no place.

The differences between one el cheapo pan and the next are too
inconsequential to warrant much research. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 09:33:37 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>On Aug 1, 11:08 pm, sf > wrote:
>> I need to replace my decent, but el cheapo nonstick fry pan.

>The last time I had that same need I went to a decent el cheapo place
>like Smart & Final or Target and bought whatever they had that looked
>decent.
>
>I don't want the Costco set even if they are good quality and value
>because I only use the 8" or 9" for eggs. The others have no place.
>
>The differences between one el cheapo pan and the next are too
>inconsequential to warrant much research. -aem

Yeah, pretty much. What do you use a 7-8 inch pan for other than
eggs/omelettes? Pork chop for one? The 10 inch or 12 inch pans are
much more practical, IMHO.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:36:39 -0500, Joe D >
wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 23:08:24 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > I know a lot of you buy the latest and greatest without batting an
> > eyelash, and I know others shop on TV... so what did you buy and what
> > did you think of the purchase (how does it look/function 5 years
> > later)? I'd like to hear your experiences.

> The Bialetti pans at CostCo are a steal. Set of 3 for around $22,
> they have lasted me 4+ years with only a couple minor nicks due to
> my carelessness Doesn't affect performance at all.
>
> They have a slightly newer design available right now, but they
> look like the same great quality - I've bought those too about 6
> months ago, for when this current set ever dies. They still
> remain shrinkwrapped. They don't get and better and cheaper than
> this.

Fabulous, thanks! We don't have nick problems, they just wear out -
completely shot in a year or two. The medium sized one is hubby's "go
to" pan, so that's what we need to replace. If we get 3 for the price
of one, all the better. Of course, the down side is that it's
teflon. Not completely sure if want to continue down the teflon road.

> My last T-fal lasted 7 months, and that was having to tighten the
> handle every time I used it - finally the riveting popped though
> the pan.

I didn't have a problem like that, but the teflon on the one T-Fal I
bought didn't last much longer or better than any other brand.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Aug 1, 11:08 pm, sf > wrote:
> > I need to replace my decent, but el cheapo nonstick fry pan.

> The last time I had that same need I went to a decent el cheapo place
> like Smart & Final or Target and bought whatever they had that looked
> decent.
>
> I don't want the Costco set even if they are good quality and value
> because I only use the 8" or 9" for eggs. The others have no place.
>
> The differences between one el cheapo pan and the next are too
> inconsequential to warrant much research. -aem

For years, we've bought the Macy's pans when they are on sale under
$20 (nice quality, except Teflon doesn't last). I was hoping there
was another type of nonstick coating other than Teflon I could look
for that might last longer than a couple of years.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 2, 2:08*am, sf > wrote:
> I need to replace my decent, but el cheapo nonstick fry pan. *I have
> several Calpholon pots & pans, but no Calpholon saute/fry pans and am
> not considering anodized as a replacement pan - so that's off the
> table. *I also have several (well seasoned) cast iron pans of various
> sizes, so that's off the table too. *
>
> I've bought expensive nonstick pans and el cheapo nonstick pans -
> frankly they all wore about the same. *I'm wondering what the hardest
> coating available is now. *I found this on the internethttp://www.swissdiamondusa.com/tonight and I have seen the
> advertisement on TV where they shake jagged rocks in a speckled pan.
> I know a lot of you buy the latest and greatest without batting an
> eyelash, and I know others shop on TV... so what did you buy and what
> did you think of the purchase (how does it look/function 5 years
> later)? *I'd like to hear your experiences.

I've been using these for years:

http://bigtray.com/silverstone-finis...s-p-16530.html

They don't cost a ton of money; they don't last forever.

But they do last several years, and I really like the way they
perform.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 11:00:44 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> I've been using these for years:
>
> http://bigtray.com/silverstone-finis...s-p-16530.html
>
> They don't cost a ton of money; they don't last forever.
>
> But they do last several years, and I really like the way they
> perform.

The price is certainly right! How long would you say is average for
one that's used almost daily?

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 2, 2:45*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 11:00:44 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>
> > wrote:
> > I've been using these for years:

> >http://bigtray.com/silverstone-finis...s-p-16530.html

> > They don't cost a ton of money; they don't last forever.

> > But they do last several years, and I really like the way they
> > perform.

> The price is certainly right! *How long would you say is average for
> one that's used almost daily?

Sorry, I don't pay very much attention (I just get a new one when
the old one looks crappy). It might be five years; it should be at
least three. We're reasonably careful about not using metal utensils,
but we put them right in the dishwasher.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 12:44:12 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> Sorry, I don't pay very much attention (I just get a new one when
> the old one looks crappy). It might be five years; it should be at
> least three. We're reasonably careful about not using metal utensils,
> but we put them right in the dishwasher.

If you can get five years putting them in the dishwasher, I might be
able to eek out a couple more not putting them in the dishwasher...
thanks.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 12:44:12 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I don't pay very much attention (I just get a new one when
>> the old one looks crappy). It might be five years; it should be at
>> least three. We're reasonably careful about not using metal utensils,
>> but we put them right in the dishwasher.

> The quality of ScanPan can't be duplicated anywhere. It is the
> finest and I have NEVER had to replace one of them all these years!

I have seen such good things written about ScanPans. If I find
myself in need of a pan, I would most likely get one (if on a good
sale). They do make some for use on induction ranges.
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 16:01:01 -0400, Mr. Bill > wrote:

>The quality of ScanPan can't be duplicated anywhere. It is the
>finest and I have NEVER had to replace one of them all these years!

Hmmm. I was decidedly unimpressed by a couple of ScanPans my brother had
about six years ago. Cooking on his gas cooktop, their non-stick
properties seemed lacking, and they had hot spots. So I've never been
tempted to consider them further ...

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

>>> Sorry, I don't pay very much attention (I just get a new one when
>>> the old one looks crappy). It might be five years; it should be at
>>> least three. We're reasonably careful about not using metal utensils,
>>> but we put them right in the dishwasher.

>> The quality of ScanPan can't be duplicated anywhere. It is the
>> finest and I have NEVER had to replace one of them all these years!

> I have seen such good things written about ScanPans. If I find myself in
> need of a pan, I would most likely get one (if on a good sale). They do
> make some for use on induction ranges.

One of my foodie friends gave a ScanPan to Lin and me as a wedding present.
It gets a lot of use, and is still going strong.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:55:26 -0500, Chemiker wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 09:33:37 -0700 (PDT), aem >
> wrote:
>
>>On Aug 1, 11:08 pm, sf > wrote:
>>> I need to replace my decent, but el cheapo nonstick fry pan.

>>The last time I had that same need I went to a decent el cheapo place
>>like Smart & Final or Target and bought whatever they had that looked
>>decent.
>>
>>I don't want the Costco set even if they are good quality and value
>>because I only use the 8" or 9" for eggs. The others have no place.
>>
>>The differences between one el cheapo pan and the next are too
>>inconsequential to warrant much research. -aem

> Yeah, pretty much. What do you use a 7-8 inch pan for other than
> eggs/omelettes? Pork chop for one? The 10 inch or 12 inch pans are
> much more practical, IMHO.
>
> Alex

not if you're cooking for one...

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 2, 11:36 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 09:33:37 -0700 (PDT), aem wrote:
> > I don't want the Costco set even if they are good quality and value
> > because I only use the 8" or 9" for eggs. The others have no place.

> I'm sure once you have them, you'll realize how useful they are.
> I have all sort of fancy, expensive pans from Calphalon, All-clad,
> Magnalite, Circulon, Kitchenaid, etc... but I use one of these 3
> 90% of the time.

1. Our cooking repertoires are very different.

2. I still am uncomfortable with high heat and nonstick surfaces. I
use high heat a lot.

3. I have the secret advantage of a small (9"), round-bottomed wok,
so well seasoned that it's effectively nonstick. It is amazingly
versatile and very responsive to any heat level. -aem

Non-stick wok Rog General Cooking 5 06-02-2012 06:27 PM
Non Stick Wok or Not Edwin Pawlowski Cooking Equipment 0 16-06-2007 04:35 AM
Non Stick Wok or Not BOB[_8_] Cooking Equipment 1 16-06-2007 01:53 AM
Non stick pan Terry[_1_] General Cooking 18 05-03-2007 09:58 PM
Calphalon Pro non-stick ii vs commercial non-stick? Bill Cooking Equipment 7 19-11-2003 09:34 PM