Bill

Default Calphalon Pro non-stick ii vs commercial non-stick?

On 18 Jan 2003 12:57:38 -0800, (Sam) wrote:

>Can someone sum up the differences between the calphalon professional
>nonstick ii line vs. the commercial nonstick line?
>
>Obviously the handles are different. Anyone who has used both have an
>opinion on which is better? They both stay cool, right? Or does the
>commercial do a better job at staying cool? Which is better
>ergonomically?
>
>The professional ii line has glass lids, while the commercial has
>metal lids. I'd suspect that the
>glass lids would be much better, because you can see what's going on.
>But I get the impression a lot of people here don't like glass lids.
>Why is that?
>
>I guess the most important questions a
>1) Is the non-stick coating the same on both lines?
>2) Are the pieces the same exact size/shape/design/weight except for
>the lids and the handles between the two lines?
>
>Amazon thinks the commercial ns is oven safe to 400, while the
>professional is oven safe to 450. What makes the difference? Is it
>the coating? The handles? The glass lids? Will the 50 degrees make
>a difference in things I may want to someday cook?
>
>Is it just me or does Calphalon's web site seem to be only 1/4 of the
>way done?
>
>Thanks!

After that story on ABC's 20/20 on Friday night I trashed my non-stick
and bought a set of Calphalon's Commercial Anodized pots! According to
ABC, if you heat the DuPont Teflon too much, it produces dangerous
gases!

Bill

Brad

What? This is the first I have heard about this! You would think there
would have been some threads on this! Everyone throw their Teflon away
right now! <sarcasm off>

> After that story on ABC's 20/20 on Friday night I trashed my non-stick
> and bought a set of Calphalon's Commercial Anodized pots! According to
> ABC, if you heat the DuPont Teflon too much, it produces dangerous
> gases!
>
> Bill

Bill

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 00:36:09 GMT, "Brad" > wrote:

>What? This is the first I have heard about this! You would think there
>would have been some threads on this! Everyone throw their Teflon away
>right now! <sarcasm off>
>
>> After that story on ABC's 20/20 on Friday night I trashed my non-stick
>> and bought a set of Calphalon's Commercial Anodized pots! According to
>> ABC, if you heat the DuPont Teflon too much, it produces dangerous
>> gases!
>>
>> Bill

Did you see the segment on tv Brad? It was pretty damning evidence of
"how easy it is on your stovetop to heat teflon above safe operating
temperatures". It probably won't kill you, just give you symptoms of
the flu for a few days...what the heck...keep using it!

Might as well eat those rotten leftovers in the fridge too...worse
thing that could happen is the runs for a day or so and I get to
pocket my $2 for not buying fresh food to eat!

Bill

John Gaquin

If it came from 20/20, you know its no more than half as serious as they
make it out to be. Apparently, if you heat the teflon compound to a temp in
excess of about 550 for one compound and 650 for another, it will start to
emit fumes or some such thing. Strikes me as being a pretty high temp in a
home kitchen. Like a skilsaw or a lawnmower, its no problem unless misused.
I wouldn't worry about it.

"Brad" > wrote in message news:ZJUtb.71186

> What? This is the first I have heard about this! You would think there
> would have been some threads on this! Everyone throw their Teflon away
> right now! <sarcasm off>
>
> > After that story on ABC's 20/20 on Friday night I trashed my non-stick
> > and bought a set of Calphalon's Commercial Anodized pots! According to
> > ABC, if you heat the DuPont Teflon too much, it produces dangerous
> > gases!
> >
> > Bill

Jack Denver

If you leave the pan on the stove empty on high heat for several minutes you
can easily generate those temperatures. You get a phone call or are
distracted by a child and it happens. It can give humans the mentioned
"flulike symptoms" for a couple of days but no lasting damage. Do the same
thing with a pan with oil in it and you have a nasty house fire. So the
lesson is - always be careful around heat/flames. OTOH, if you have a bird
(parrot, canary, etc.) the teflon fumes that give you a headache just plain
kills them. They literally fall dead from their perches. There is some
difference in bird metabolism that makes them more sensitive to this kind of
thing.

20/20 was not reporting "news" - all this has been known for decades. The
FDA does not deem the danger great enough to ban teflon. "Teflon" here is in
the generic sense meaning all non-stick PTFE coatings

"John Gaquin" > wrote in message
> If it came from 20/20, you know its no more than half as serious as they
> make it out to be. Apparently, if you heat the teflon compound to a temp

in
> excess of about 550 for one compound and 650 for another, it will start to
> emit fumes or some such thing. Strikes me as being a pretty high temp in

> home kitchen. Like a skilsaw or a lawnmower, its no problem unless

misused.
> I wouldn't worry about it.
>
> "Brad" > wrote in message news:ZJUtb.71186
>
> > What? This is the first I have heard about this! You would think there
> > would have been some threads on this! Everyone throw their Teflon away
> > right now! <sarcasm off>
> >
> > > After that story on ABC's 20/20 on Friday night I trashed my non-stick
> > > and bought a set of Calphalon's Commercial Anodized pots! According to
> > > ABC, if you heat the DuPont Teflon too much, it produces dangerous
> > > gases!
> > >
> > > Bill

Rich Bednarski

"Bill" > wrote in message

> Did you see the segment on tv Brad? It was pretty damning evidence of
> "how easy it is on your stovetop to heat teflon above safe operating
> temperatures". It probably won't kill you, just give you symptoms of
> the flu for a few days...what the heck...keep using it!

Aren't these the same folks that showed how easy it was for certain SUVs to
roll over -- after adding weights to one side that they never disclosed?
And the same folks who showed how easy it was for certain trucks to burst
into flame -- after they added explosives to the truck to make it happen?
Are you sure there wasn't an industrial strength welding torch hiding inside
the stove with the burners?

Just to apply a little critical thinking to this problem, if this is such a
danger and Teflon has been around for decades, where are all of the actual
ill people?? If this was a real problem wouldn't they have had all kinds of
actual statistics about the number of people getting sick from Teflon?

And note that all of the scare claims came from the Environmental Working
Group, which is an activist group that, judging by its website, has its own
agenda, to say the least.

Rich

Rich

BOB

In ,
Rich Bednarski > typed:
> "Bill" > wrote in message
>
>> Did you see the segment on tv Brad? It was pretty damning evidence of
>> "how easy it is on your stovetop to heat teflon above safe operating
>> temperatures". It probably won't kill you, just give you symptoms of
>> the flu for a few days...what the heck...keep using it!
>>

> Aren't these the same folks that showed how easy it was for certain SUVs to
> roll over -- after adding weights to one side that they never disclosed?
> And the same folks who showed how easy it was for certain trucks to burst
> into flame -- after they added explosives to the truck to make it happen?
> Are you sure there wasn't an industrial strength welding torch hiding inside
> the stove with the burners?
>
> Just to apply a little critical thinking to this problem, if this is such a
> danger and Teflon has been around for decades, where are all of the actual
> ill people?? If this was a real problem wouldn't they have had all kinds of
> actual statistics about the number of people getting sick from Teflon?
>
> And note that all of the scare claims came from the Environmental Working
> Group, which is an activist group that, judging by its website, has its own
> agenda, to say the least.
>
> Rich
>
> Rich

Isn't this the time of year when the networks get their "ratings" by #'s of
viewers?
Makes sense to me that they'd do a sensational "expose'" during this time.

BOB

Larry

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:21:20 -0500, "Jack Denver"
> wrote:

>20/20 was not reporting "news" - all this has been known for decades. The
>FDA does not deem the danger great enough to ban teflon. "Teflon" here is in
>the generic sense meaning all non-stick PTFE coatings

Agreed, but there is no "generic" meaning to "Teflon". It is a
registered trademark in the US.

-- Larry