Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grandmother's recipes

I have possesion of my Grandmothers recipe box. The box itself may have
been her mother's box. Grandma was born in 1900 which could clue to the age
of the box if it belonged to her mother as my Uncle told me. Everyone in my
family is dead who would know.

There is one recipe in the cake section which is very old and the top with
the title is gone, to me this is a chocolate cake frosting recipe but the
raw egg is throwing me off.

As it was written,

"1 cup sugar, 1/2 scant cup of butter or shortening, 1 egg, 1 pinch of
salt, 3/4 cup of soured milk, 1 extra large cup of flour, 1 teaspoonful
of soda, 4 heaping teaspoonfuls of cocoa with enough hot water to make a
smooth paste".

--
regards,

piedmont (michael)

the practical bbq'r!; http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 21:13:28 +0000 (UTC), piedmont >
wrote:

>The consensus seems brownie, I'll bake it tomorrow and send results!
>
>My next goal is to transcribe every recipe and save them on PC!

I did this about 10 - 12 years ago with MasterCook (I switched to Now
Your Cooking). It truly was a labor of love, as it took me about 2
years of piecemeal transcription from yellowed 3 x 5 cards, a spiral
notebook and just a bunch of loose scraps of paper rubber banded
together in the notebook. Thank God, my mother had a beautiful Palmer
Method handwriting, which was easy to read. I later self-published a
cookbook (damned things prolly came out to about $75 a copy) and gave
it to all the kids for Christmas one year - it has all of my mother's
recipes (which include some from my grandmother and great-grandmother,
plus a number of their friends - "Millie Townshend's Goop" always
cracks me up), a ton of my MIL's, plus all the recipes I used to make
for them while they were growing up. It was a *huge* hit. The only
downside is, I have all my recipes at the ready when I visit the kids
and no excuses for not whipping up some old favorites.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 21:13:28 +0000 (UTC), piedmont >
> wrote:
>
>>The consensus seems brownie, I'll bake it tomorrow and send results!
>>
>>My next goal is to transcribe every recipe and save them on PC!

> I did this about 10 - 12 years ago with MasterCook (I switched to Now
> Your Cooking). It truly was a labor of love, as it took me about 2
> years of piecemeal transcription from yellowed 3 x 5 cards, a spiral
> notebook and just a bunch of loose scraps of paper rubber banded
> together in the notebook. Thank God, my mother had a beautiful Palmer
> Method handwriting, which was easy to read. I later self-published a
> cookbook (damned things prolly came out to about $75 a copy) and gave
> it to all the kids for Christmas one year - it has all of my mother's
> recipes (which include some from my grandmother and great-grandmother,
> plus a number of their friends - "Millie Townshend's Goop" always
> cracks me up), a ton of my MIL's, plus all the recipes I used to make
> for them while they were growing up. It was a *huge* hit. The only
> downside is, I have all my recipes at the ready when I visit the kids
> and no excuses for not whipping up some old favorites.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --

Sooo...how was Mrs. Townshend's Goop? Sounds
interesting.....lol....Sharon in Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 26, 4:56*pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> On 26-Jul-2010, piedmont > wrote:
>
> > The consensus seems brownie, I'll bake it tomorrow and send results!

> > My next goal is to transcribe every recipe and save them on PC!

> I think it will be like something my grandmother used to make; I think she
> called it a brownie cake or cake brownie. *It was not as dense and chewy as
> most brownies are these days; it was lighter than a brownie, heavier than a
> cake. * The closest thing I can think of commercially available is the
> chocolate cake used to make Hostess Suzy Q's - just not as moist as Suzy Q's
> which have a lot more fat.
> --
> Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

There are still commercial brownie mixes that can be mixed as cake
brownies, or fudge brownies. I prefer the cake type, myself, which
I've always made using a BH&G recipe.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 26, 10:33*am, piedmont > wrote:
> I have possesion of my Grandmothers recipe box. The box itself may have
> been her mother's box. Grandma was born in 1900 which could clue to the age
> of the box if it belonged to her mother as my Uncle told me. Everyone in my
> family is dead who would know.
>
> There is one recipe in the cake section which is very old and the top with
> the title is gone, to me this is a chocolate cake frosting recipe but the
> raw egg is throwing me off.
>
> As it was written,
>
> "1 cup sugar, *1/2 scant cup of butter or shortening, *1 egg, *1 pinch of
> salt, *3/4 cup of soured milk, *1 extra large cup of flour, *1 teaspoonful
> of soda, *4 heaping teaspoonfuls of cocoa with enough hot water to make a
> smooth paste".
>
> --
> regards,
>
> piedmont (michael)
>
> the practical bbq'r!;http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

I think it's a cake recipe. Otherwise, you wouldn't have any flour in
it. I have a BH & G recipe for something called "Viennese
Torte," (yes, Victor and everyone else - don't bother to argue about
the title, I didn't write it) which has a chocolate icing/filling
which has raw egg yolk in it...but no flour.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> I think it's a cake recipe. Otherwise, you wouldn't have any flour in it.
> I have a BH & G recipe for something called "Viennese Torte," (yes, Victor
> and everyone else - don't bother to argue about the title, I didn't write
> it) which has a chocolate icing/filling which has raw egg yolk in it...but
> no flour.

I'll counter that with the fact that a friend of mine uses flour in the
cooked frosting for her red velvet cake. I don't have the recipe, but I
doubt that it contains egg; the frosting is just barely off-white.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Nancy2 wrote:
>
> > I think it's a cake recipe. Otherwise, you wouldn't have any flour in it.
> > I have a BH & G recipe for something called "Viennese Torte," (yes, Victor
> > and everyone else - don't bother to argue about the title, I didn't write
> > it) which has a chocolate icing/filling which has raw egg yolk in it...but
> > no flour.

> I'll counter that with the fact that a friend of mine uses flour in the
> cooked frosting for her red velvet cake. I don't have the recipe, but I
> doubt that it contains egg; the frosting is just barely off-white.
>
> Bob

Probably this recipe (or very similar) ‹ it's been around for a long
time:

Please save any smarmy remarks about the Crisco ‹ the recipe is 50 years
old and I don't know how butter would change things. It's light and
greasy. :-) And not terribly sweet. Probably some variations out
there.

Mock Whipped Cream Frosting

2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup Crisco
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Cook the flour and milk together until smooth and thickened. Cool.
Cream and Crisco and the sugar, beat in the flour mixture. Enough for a
9x13x2" loaf pan.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Probably this recipe (or very similar) < it's been around for a long >
> time:
>
> Please save any smarmy remarks about the Crisco < the recipe is 50 years >
> old and I don't know how butter would change things. It's light and
> greasy. :-) And not terribly sweet. Probably some variations out >
> there.
>
> Mock Whipped Cream Frosting
>
> 2 tablespoons flour
> 1/2 cup milk
> 1/2 cup Crisco
> 1/2 cup granulated sugar
>
> Cook the flour and milk together until smooth and thickened. Cool.
> Cream and Crisco and the sugar, beat in the flour mixture. Enough for a
> 9x13x2" loaf pan.

I made that once because confectioner's sugar is or was hard to find here.
I did not love it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
piedmont > wrote:

> I have possesion of my Grandmothers recipe box. The box itself may have
> been her mother's box. Grandma was born in 1900 which could clue to the age
> of the box if it belonged to her mother as my Uncle told me. Everyone in my
> family is dead who would know.
>
> There is one recipe in the cake section which is very old and the top with
> the title is gone, to me this is a chocolate cake frosting recipe but the
> raw egg is throwing me off.
>
> As it was written,
>
> "1 cup sugar, 1/2 scant cup of butter or shortening, 1 egg, 1 pinch of
> salt, 3/4 cup of soured milk, 1 extra large cup of flour, 1 teaspoonful
> of soda, 4 heaping teaspoonfuls of cocoa with enough hot water to make a
> smooth paste".

Not frosting with the flour in it.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew;
sometimes in a pickle."
Where are my pearls, Honey?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default It's in the oven!

piedmont > wrote in
:

> I have possesion of my Grandmothers recipe box. The box itself may
> have been her mother's box. Grandma was born in 1900 which could clue
> to the age of the box if it belonged to her mother as my Uncle told
> me. Everyone in my family is dead who would know.
>
> There is one recipe in the cake section which is very old and the top
> with the title is gone, to me this is a chocolate cake frosting recipe
> but the raw egg is throwing me off.
>
> As it was written,
>
> "1 cup sugar, 1/2 scant cup of butter or shortening, 1 egg, 1 pinch
> of salt, 3/4 cup of soured milk, 1 extra large cup of flour, 1
> teaspoonful of soda, 4 heaping teaspoonfuls of cocoa with enough hot
> water to make a smooth paste".

Well, it's in the oven and from the viscosity of the batter it seems to be
a chocolate cake batter! Fairly liquid compared to thick brownie batter. It
will be my first chocolate cake with walnut bits in it!

--
regards,

piedmont (michael)

the practical bbq'r!; http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"piedmont" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Well, it's in the oven and from the viscosity of the batter it seems to be
> > a chocolate cake batter! Fairly liquid compared to thick brownie batter.

> It
> will be my first chocolate cake with walnut bits in it!

One of those many one-egg cakes, I think. Look in any Betty Crocker etc. of
the 1950s and find more. Eggs used to be pricy and people used to economize
as well as make desserts. Have fun with nonna's recipes!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

piedmont > wrote in
:
snip
>> As it was written,
>>
>> "1 cup sugar, 1/2 scant cup of butter or shortening, 1 egg, 1
>> pinch of salt, 3/4 cup of soured milk, 1 extra large cup of flour,
>> 1 teaspoonful of soda, 4 heaping teaspoonfuls of cocoa with enough
>> hot water to make a smooth paste".
>>

> Well, it's in the oven and from the viscosity of the batter it seems
> to be a chocolate cake batter! Fairly liquid compared to thick brownie
> batter. It will be my first chocolate cake with walnut bits in it!

Cake, chocolate cake it is, not bad either. Here is picture,

http://tinypic.com/m/b5fjtx/3

--
regards,

piedmont (michael)

the practical bbq'r!; http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

piedmont wrote:
> piedmont > wrote in
> :
> snip
>>> As it was written,
>>>
>>> "1 cup sugar, 1/2 scant cup of butter or shortening, 1 egg, 1
>>> pinch of salt, 3/4 cup of soured milk, 1 extra large cup of flour,
>>> 1 teaspoonful of soda, 4 heaping teaspoonfuls of cocoa with enough
>>> hot water to make a smooth paste".
>>>

>> Well, it's in the oven and from the viscosity of the batter it seems
>> to be a chocolate cake batter! Fairly liquid compared to thick brownie
>> batter. It will be my first chocolate cake with walnut bits in it!
>>

> Cake, chocolate cake it is, not bad either. Here is picture,
>
> http://tinypic.com/m/b5fjtx/3

nice!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

piedmont wrote:
> I have possesion of my Grandmothers recipe box. The box itself may have
> been her mother's box. Grandma was born in 1900 which could clue to the age
> of the box if it belonged to her mother as my Uncle told me. Everyone in my
> family is dead who would know.
>
> There is one recipe in the cake section which is very old and the top with
> the title is gone, to me this is a chocolate cake frosting recipe but the
> raw egg is throwing me off.
>
> As it was written,
>
> "1 cup sugar, 1/2 scant cup of butter or shortening, 1 egg, 1 pinch of
> salt, 3/4 cup of soured milk, 1 extra large cup of flour, 1 teaspoonful
> of soda, 4 heaping teaspoonfuls of cocoa with enough hot water to make a
> smooth paste".

Maybe it's a cake? I think it has too little cocoa, too much
flour, too much soda etc. to be a brownie recipe as may have
posited. Also, look at all that milk.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 26, 10:05*am, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> On 26-Jul-2010, piedmont > wrote:
>

> > I have possesion of my Grandmothers recipe box. The box itself may have
> > been her mother's box. Grandma was born in 1900 which could clue to the
> > age
> > of the box if it belonged to her mother as my Uncle told me. Everyone in
> > my
> > family is dead who would know.

> > There is one recipe in the cake section which is very old and the top with

> > the title is gone, to me this is a chocolate cake frosting recipe but the
> > raw egg is throwing me off.

> > As it was written,

> > "1 cup sugar, *1/2 scant cup of butter or shortening, *1 egg, *1 pinch of
> > salt, *3/4 cup of soured milk, *1 extra large cup of flour, *1 teaspoonful

> > of soda, *4 heaping teaspoonfuls of cocoa with enough hot water to make a
> > smooth paste".

> > --

> Sounds similar to a brownie recipe to me; with the egg flour it surely
> requires baking and the baking soda is the leavening.

Rising is guaranteed by using an acidic liquid (sour milk) with the
baking soda. It's a cake.