Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Huevos Rancheros

Screw the home made sauce. I just had the best damned HRs I ever ate using
a jar of store bought chunky salsa - medium heat. Eggs and corn tortillas
are such a perfect combination. Top with some cheese and sour cream and a
sliced avocado and I'm on cloud 9. I may start a war here but 3 tortillas
and 2 eggs are the only way to go.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/5/2010 1:44 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> Screw the home made sauce. I just had the best damned HRs I ever ate using
> a jar of store bought chunky salsa - medium heat. Eggs and corn tortillas
> are such a perfect combination. Top with some cheese and sour cream and a
> sliced avocado and I'm on cloud 9. I may start a war here but 3 tortillas
> and 2 eggs are the only way to go.

Sounds good to me. We use Pace salsa... get it in the humongous jug at
Sam's Club for for around $5.

The only thing I would add would be some beans.

Good breakfast!

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 1:44*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> Screw the home made sauce. *I just had the best damned HRs I ever ate using
> a jar of store bought chunky salsa - medium heat. *Eggs and corn tortillas
> are such a perfect combination. *Top with some cheese and sour cream and a
> sliced avocado and I'm on cloud 9. *I may start a war here but 3 tortillas
> and 2 eggs are the only way to go.
>
> Paul

Huevos Rancheros are or were not called that in Chile in the 1980's
when my nephew spent his senior year of high school with a Chilean
family, as he was so informed by the father of the family when he
tried out his newfound and yet to be fully mastered expertise at
Spanish when as dinner was served he proudly and joyfully exclaimed
"Ahh, Huevos Rancheros!"

The father started laughing hysterically. It seems the word "huevos"
has or had a local colloquial meaning roughly equivalent to "balls"!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 2:44*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> Screw the home made sauce. *I just had the best damned HRs I ever ate using
> a jar of store bought chunky salsa - medium heat. *Eggs and corn tortillas
> are such a perfect combination. *Top with some cheese and sour cream and a
> sliced avocado and I'm on cloud 9. *I may start a war here but 3 tortillas
> and 2 eggs are the only way to go.
>
> Paul

Your statement is hardly war like. However I prefer home made sauce.
Porque?
Porque! No really. I try and stay away from preservatives as much as
possible. And all of the other artificials they put into pre made
soups, sauces etc. I'm not there 100% since I do like storebought
sausage etc. Well, I'd rather make my own actually, but I do not have
the inclination or equipment etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
On Jul 5, 1:44 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> Screw the home made sauce. I just had the best damned HRs I ever ate using
> a jar of store bought chunky salsa - medium heat. Eggs and corn tortillas
> are such a perfect combination. Top with some cheese and sour cream and a
> sliced avocado and I'm on cloud 9. I may start a war here but 3 tortillas
> and 2 eggs are the only way to go.
>
> Paul

Huevos Rancheros are or were not called that in Chile in the 1980's
when my nephew spent his senior year of high school with a Chilean
family, as he was so informed by the father of the family when he
tried out his newfound and yet to be fully mastered expertise at
Spanish when as dinner was served he proudly and joyfully exclaimed
"Ahh, Huevos Rancheros!"

The father started laughing hysterically. It seems the word "huevos"
has or had a local colloquial meaning roughly equivalent to "balls"!

---

Yep, that's true. They would calls eggs blanquillos in proper company.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 11:44:22 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>> Screw the home made sauce. I just had the best damned HRs I ever ate using
>> a jar of store bought chunky salsa - medium heat. Eggs and corn tortillas
>> are such a perfect combination. Top with some cheese and sour cream and a
>> sliced avocado and I'm on cloud 9. I may start a war here but 3 tortillas
>> and 2 eggs are the only way to go.

>I think you're refrring to migas.

True, if the tortillas are cut into pieces and cooked with the
eggs. (Not typical for huevos rancheros.)

>Migas are just not my thing. I just can't stand soggy corn
>tortillas.

Migas can be cooked dry-ish. But yeah typically the desired endpoint
is a medium-moise preparation.

(Do you also dislike matzo brie?)

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/5/2010 2:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 11:44:22 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> Screw the home made sauce. I just had the best damned HRs I ever ate using
>> a jar of store bought chunky salsa - medium heat. Eggs and corn tortillas
>> are such a perfect combination. Top with some cheese and sour cream and a
>> sliced avocado and I'm on cloud 9. I may start a war here but 3 tortillas
>> and 2 eggs are the only way to go.

> I think you're refrring to migas.
>
> Migas are just not my thing. I just can't stand soggy corn
> tortillas.
>
> -sw

And then there is chilaquiles http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chilaquiles/

My favorite Mexican breakfast is eggs, scrambled with chorizo, refried
beans, fried potatoes, corn tortillas and plenty of salsa.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 11:44:22 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> Screw the home made sauce. I just had the best damned HRs I ever ate
>> using
>> a jar of store bought chunky salsa - medium heat. Eggs and corn
>> tortillas
>> are such a perfect combination. Top with some cheese and sour cream and
>> sliced avocado and I'm on cloud 9. I may start a war here but 3
>> tortillas
>> and 2 eggs are the only way to go.

> I think you're refrring to migas.

Nope.

> Migas are just not my thing. I just can't stand soggy corn
> tortillas.

Nothing soggy about the way I make it.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Leppla > wrote:

> We use Pace salsa... get it in the humongous jug at
> Sam's Club for for around $5.

None worse than Pace. Must have OLD worn out taste buds. Humongous jugs
I can understand.

sos
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-05, Seldom > wrote:

> None worse than Pace.

I like Pace. It's much better than LaVictoria, which is the hands down
favorite with Mexicans in N. CA. I've never understood why cuz LV is
crap. Better than either is Herdez, a brand I never ran across till I
moved to CO. Pricey as Hell! ...$1.75 for a 7oz can.... but better
flavor than most.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 2:02*pm, Andy > wrote:
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>
> > Screw the home made sauce. *I just had the best damned HRs I ever ate
> > using a jar of store bought chunky salsa - medium heat. *Eggs and corn
> > tortillas are such a perfect combination. *Top with some cheese and
> > sour cream and a sliced avocado and I'm on cloud 9. *I may start a war
> > here but 3 tortillas and 2 eggs are the only way to go.

Jarred salsa isn't hideous, but suggesting that it's better than fresh
is laughable. Things in jars that are intended to sit on shelves
unrefrigerated are necessarily cooked, which is what makes jarred
salsa have the texture that it does. They try to imitate a fresh,
chunky sort of thing, but it's more like chopped RoTel with denatured
onions. That said, breakfast tacos are a nice thing, just not worth
paying the 2 for $6 price charged by the local taco cart dude, even
though he adds a spectacular NM style green chile instead of Pace type
salsa.

> > Paul

> Paul,
>
> I'd eat that!!!

You'd eat almost anything.

> I like medium heat salsa also. Hot or "suicidal" just draws attention
> away from the flavor of the dish, imho.

Since when have you come across "hot" Pace-type salsa that in any way
approaches "suicidal"???
I've got nice tomatoes, a nice vidalia, and some jalapeños. Think
I'll make some pico de gallo.

> Best,
>
> Andy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2010-07-05, Seldom > wrote:
>
>> None worse than Pace.

> I like Pace. It's much better than LaVictoria, which is the hands down
> favorite with Mexicans in N. CA. I've never understood why cuz LV is
> crap. Better than either is Herdez, a brand I never ran across till I
> moved to CO. Pricey as Hell! ...$1.75 for a 7oz can.... but better
> flavor than most.

Herdez is very popular, and good, here in SoCal.. It's my brand.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Herdez Salsa Casera is The Shit. I always have a few cans on
> hand. They're $.89 to $1.09 here.

Guess you mean it's good like dope. Agree. Leander HEB grocery store
(Great State of Texas) 69 cents every day. Got 8 cans in the food
locker. Not worth $1.09 to me. It's one serving.

sos
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2010-07-05, Seldom > wrote:
>
>> None worse than Pace.

> I like Pace. It's much better than LaVictoria, which is the hands down
> favorite with Mexicans in N. CA. I've never understood why cuz LV is
> crap. Better than either is Herdez, a brand I never ran across till I
> moved to CO. Pricey as Hell! ...$1.75 for a 7oz can.... but better
> flavor than most.

..99 cents a can every day at Albertson's in SoCal. Often on sale 5 cans for
4 bucks.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Leppla > wrote:

> On 7/5/2010 2:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 11:44:22 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> >
> >> Screw the home made sauce. I just had the best damned HRs I ever ate using
> >> a jar of store bought chunky salsa - medium heat. Eggs and corn tortillas
> >> are such a perfect combination. Top with some cheese and sour cream and a
> >> sliced avocado and I'm on cloud 9. I may start a war here but 3 tortillas
> >> and 2 eggs are the only way to go.

> > I think you're refrring to migas.
> >
> > Migas are just not my thing. I just can't stand soggy corn
> > tortillas.
> >
> > -sw

> And then there is chilaquiles http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chilaquiles/
>
> My favorite Mexican breakfast is eggs, scrambled with chorizo, refried
> beans, fried potatoes, corn tortillas and plenty of salsa.
>
> George L

George, you took the words right out of my mouth. A great breakfast.

As for huevos rancheros, most renditions I've had have been boring. The
problem has almost always been watery rancher sauce due to crappy tomato
products and, secondly, crappy chiles. A really good version of ranchero
sauce would have been made with whole ripe garden tomatoes which were
strained before using. The chile peppers should be of Hatch quality and
roasted and peeled. And the tortillas should have been flipped in hot
pork fat. I also like to add some garlic in the sauce.

D.M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article

..uk>,
Don Martinich > wrote:
> George, you took the words right out of my mouth. A great breakfast.
>
> As for huevos rancheros, most renditions I've had have been boring. The
> problem has almost always been watery rancher sauce due to crappy tomato
> products and, secondly, crappy chiles. A really good version of ranchero
> sauce would have been made with whole ripe garden tomatoes which were
> strained before using.

Correction! I meant drained, not strained.

The chile peppers should be of Hatch quality and
> roasted and peeled. And the tortillas should have been flipped in hot
> pork fat. I also like to add some garlic in the sauce.
>
> D.M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul wrote:

> Screw the home made sauce. I just had the best damned HRs I ever ate using
> a jar of store bought chunky salsa - medium heat. Eggs and corn tortillas
> are such a perfect combination. Top with some cheese and sour cream and a
> sliced avocado and I'm on cloud 9. I may start a war here but 3 tortillas
> and 2 eggs are the only way to go.

Was probably every bit as good as you say, but if you're using salsa instead
of ranchero sauce, it's not huevos rancheros.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

>Was probably every bit as good as you say, but if you're using salsa instead
>of ranchero sauce, it's not huevos rancheros.

A Ranchero is an old Ford. Does the word also have culinary meaning?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> Screw the home made sauce. I just had the best damned HRs I ever ate using
> a jar of store bought chunky salsa - medium heat. Eggs and corn tortillas
> are such a perfect combination. Top with some cheese and sour cream and a
> sliced avocado and I'm on cloud 9. I may start a war here but 3 tortillas
> and 2 eggs are the only way to go.
>
> Paul

Whatever floats your boat... ;-)

What brand of chunky salsa? I prefer Pace brand medium.

I've not tried making huevos rancheros in ages. Might be about thyme.
:-)
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 14:39:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 11:44:22 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> >
> >> Screw the home made sauce. I just had the best damned HRs I ever ate
> >> using
> >> a jar of store bought chunky salsa - medium heat. Eggs and corn tortillas
> >> are such a perfect combination. Top with some cheese and sour cream and a
> >> sliced avocado and I'm on cloud 9. I may start a war here but 3 tortillas
> >> and 2 eggs are the only way to go.

> > I think you're refrring to migas.

> Hmm. The couple times I've had huevos ranchero they were just
> eggs and sauce with home fries and avocado. But when I look on
> Google Images they are usually on top of fresh or fried corn
> tortillas.
>
> Now I feel ripped off. I guess I'll stick to breakfast tacos (on
> flour tortillas)
>
> -sw

Wuss.

Crunchy pre-cooked corn tortillas are sold if you are not afraid of
them. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Leppla > wrote:

> My favorite Mexican breakfast is eggs, scrambled with chorizo, refried
> beans, fried potatoes, corn tortillas and plenty of salsa.
>
> George L

Mine is refried beans, bacon bits and cheese on a flour tortilla...
about twice per year. <sigh>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote to Sycophant:

>> Crunchy pre-cooked corn tortillas are sold if you are not afraid of
>> them. ;-)

> Again, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Start
> making sense for a change, will ya?

If Sycophant's posts started making sense, would you believe it was still
her?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 5, 9:51 pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Paul wrote:
> > Screw the home made sauce. I just had the best damned HRs I ever ate using
> > a jar of store bought chunky salsa - medium heat. Eggs and corn tortillas
> > are such a perfect combination. Top with some cheese and sour cream and a
> > sliced avocado and I'm on cloud 9. I may start a war here but 3 tortillas
> > and 2 eggs are the only way to go.

> Was probably every bit as good as you say, but if you're using salsa instead
> of ranchero sauce, it's not huevos rancheros.

Probably right, unless it's the "salsa casera" that sw mentioned.
That's a cooked pureed sauce very akin to ranchera sauce, not to be
confused with a fresh salsa. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>
>> Screw the home made sauce. I just had the best damned HRs I ever ate
>> using
>> a jar of store bought chunky salsa - medium heat. Eggs and corn
>> tortillas
>> are such a perfect combination. Top with some cheese and sour cream and
>> sliced avocado and I'm on cloud 9. I may start a war here but 3
>> tortillas
>> and 2 eggs are the only way to go.
>>
>> Paul

> Whatever floats your boat... ;-)

You got a better breakfast? Don't be holding out, now.

> What brand of chunky salsa? I prefer Pace brand medium.

Herdez Casera Picante. I cooked it down a bit as it is pretty wet out of
the can. Really my whole point was the jarred (canned) salsas make a damn
fine dish without the fuss.

> I've not tried making huevos rancheros in ages. Might be about thyme.
> :-)

Be sure to fry the tortillas until they are crisp yet pliable.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> > Crunchy pre-cooked corn tortillas are sold if you are not afraid of
> > them. ;-)

> Again, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Start
> making sense for a change, will ya?
>
> -sw

Uh, try the section at HEB near where they sell taco sauces and such.

Let's see... I can post a pic if that will help. These are pre-made corn
tortilla taco shells:

<http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...A?feat=directl
ink>

Now do you comprende'?

I swear, you are so bent on attacking all my posts, you look more like a
retard than I do sometimes!
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> >
> >> Screw the home made sauce. I just had the best damned HRs I ever ate
> >> using
> >> a jar of store bought chunky salsa - medium heat. Eggs and corn
> >> tortillas
> >> are such a perfect combination. Top with some cheese and sour cream and
> >> sliced avocado and I'm on cloud 9. I may start a war here but 3
> >> tortillas
> >> and 2 eggs are the only way to go.
> >>
> >> Paul

> > Whatever floats your boat... ;-)

> You got a better breakfast? Don't be holding out, now.

<lol> I prefer two eggs per tortilla is all!
The rest sounds fantabulous.

> > What brand of chunky salsa? I prefer Pace brand medium.

> Herdez Casera Picante. I cooked it down a bit as it is pretty wet out of
> the can. Really my whole point was the jarred (canned) salsas make a damn
> fine dish without the fuss.

Canned? Cool. I might have to czech that out. I generally use jarred.
I suspect cans are less expensive.

> > I've not tried making huevos rancheros in ages. Might be about thyme.
> > :-)

> Be sure to fry the tortillas until they are crisp yet pliable.
>
> Paul

Ah, got it. I tend to cheat and purchase pre-made corn tortilla shells.
Good quality corn chips might work too. Once you dump wet stuff on them,
they become pliable.

But, that's cheating. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 3:58*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 13:38:35 -0700 (PDT), Food Snob® wrote:
> > That said, breakfast tacos are a nice thing, just not worth
> > paying the 2 for $6 price charged by the local taco cart dude

> He can't possibly charge that much unless he's selling
> burrito-sized tacos. *Take a picture of that price tag or menu for
> me.

The next time my wife goes there, I'll try to remind her to do that.
I don't lie, or make shit up.

> We have a lot around here. *Where I go in the morning they're 3
> for 2.70 (includes cheese, eggs, and one other item - Owens(*),
> ham, choriso, napoles, potato, etc... *On flour tortillas they
> weigh an average of 5.1oz each (scale at work). *On corn, 5.3
> ounces.

You live in Texas. The cart I referred to is in a St. Louis City
park:
http://www.tgmarket.org/about.php
They are not on the vendor list yet, but here's an excerpt from an
article on it:
"For now Jones and De la Venta are looking forward to parking their
cart in front of the Silver Ballroom and then venturing to Tower Grove
Farmers' Market, where they'll offer fresh-made breakfast tacos
starting in June"
source--
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/gut...eet_food. php

I wish to heck we had the availability of taco truck/burrito joint
food here. In Chicago there's are so many Mexicans that you're never
too far from a great burrito at a good price. Not so here. Last time
I was in TX, I ate at a N Dallas taqueria every day. It's my favorite
everyday food.

> -sw
>
> (*) This is how the Mexican places refer to American breakfast
> sausage even if they don't use the Owen's brand.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-06, Sqwertz > wrote:

> I wouldn't consider it pureed. It very thin in spots somewhat
> like a ranchera sauce, but is chunkier more like a fresh salsa in
> texture (just thinner). Herdez has a separate Salsa Ranchera that
> is more pureed, IIRC. I don't like that one nearly as well.

They also have a salsa verde. Unfortunately, it's not very good.

http://www.mexgrocer.com/1440.html

OTOH, I've never tasted a canned tomatillo salsa that was. Better off
making your own.

nb