Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Breakfast? Huevos Rancheros

Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
1 crushed garlic clove
2 medium-sized finely chopped onions
1 large finely chopped green pepper
1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped fresh tomatoes
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsps. chili powder
¼ tsp. oregano
1/8 tsp. powdered cumin
8 poached or sauteed eggs (allow 2 eggs per serving)
Strips of red pimento
A little grated cheese
Preparation:

Saute garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes;
Remove garlic;
Add onion, green pepper;
Saute until soft;
Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, chili powder, oregano and cumin; Simmer
until thick and well blended;

Correct the seasoning. Sauce should be very hot and well-flavored.

Pour over eggs, garnish with pimento and cheese.

OR TO BAKE:
Pre heat oven to 450°;
Pour the sauce into 4 individual casserole dishes or 1 large baking
dish;
Carefully nest uncooked eggs in liquid;
Garnish with strips of red pimento;
Sprinkle with a little grated cheese;
Bake until eggs are set;

Serve with hot pepper sauce.

--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 9:21*am, Mack A. Damia > wrote:
> Ingredients:

---clip--

Looks good -saved.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 9:21*am, Mack A. Damia > wrote:
> Ingredients:
> 1/4 cup olive oil
> 1 crushed garlic clove
> 2 medium-sized finely chopped onions
> 1 large finely chopped green pepper
> 1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped fresh tomatoes
> ½ tsp. salt
> ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
> 2 tsps. chili powder
> ¼ tsp. oregano
> 1/8 tsp. powdered cumin
> 8 poached or sauteed eggs (allow 2 eggs per serving)
> Strips of red pimento
> A little grated cheese
> Preparation:
>
> Saute garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes;
> Remove garlic;
> Add onion, green pepper;
> Saute until soft;
> Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, chili powder, oregano and cumin; Simmer
> until thick and well blended;
>
> Correct the seasoning. Sauce should be very hot and well-flavored.
>
> Pour over eggs, garnish with pimento and cheese.
>
> OR TO BAKE:
> Pre heat oven to 450°;
> Pour the sauce into 4 individual casserole dishes or 1 large baking
> dish;
> Carefully nest uncooked eggs in liquid;
> Garnish with strips of red pimento;
> Sprinkle with a little grated cheese;
> Bake until eggs are set;
>
> Serve with hot pepper sauce.
>
> --
> mad

I love the idea of oven-baking them. Because I like the idea of
serving these for a crowd, but it seemed to be a lot of last-minute
work to assemble. This solves it.

How long to set the eggs? 5 minutes? (I like them mostly runny)

Thanks for posting,
Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 May 2009 07:20:49 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>How long to set the eggs? 5 minutes? (I like them mostly runny)

Hot oven - 450*. You can usually tell by looking. Yes, I like my
eggs *soft*, too. Five minutes sounds about right.

I eat this in Mexico occasionally. It's very good, and, of course,
there are variations. I don't care for tortillas, though. Give me
buttered toast!
--
mad