Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Miss Manners on serving "informal" dinners to guests

Or, as George Bernard Shaw said: "Do not do unto others as you would
that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same."

Lenona.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...rs-informality

Informality Or Not Giving A Hoot?
Miss Manners.
June 11, 1995|By Judith Martin, United Feature Syndicate.

Dear Miss Manners--Lately, it seems that friends and relatives who
invite us for dinner often remark, "We are having something simple,"
or "Do not expect anything fancy." They are by no means poor.

We were recently served a five-month-old frozen meatloaf! Why do they
make a point of informing us of this? It makes me feel as though we
are not very important guests.

Gentle Reader--The meatloaf is not the problem.

Graciously offered (which is to say, without announcing how long
dinner has been in the freezer), humble hospitality can be charming.
So might possibly be a very small apology suggesting that the fare,
whatever it is, is not worthy of one's guests.

No doubt they believe they are practicing the Cult of Informality, a
currently common form of social confusion, in which a lack of
consideration and hospitality is supposed to glow with the warmth of
intimacy.

Why not bothering on behalf of one's guests should be considered a
virtue, Miss Manners cannot figure out. Like you, she has a great deal
of trouble distinguishing this from the Cult of Not Giving a Hoot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/04/2010 06:06 PM, Lenona wrote:
> Or, as George Bernard Shaw said: "Do not do unto others as you would
> that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same."

I love Miss Manners so much.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 18:11:17 -0700, Serene Vannoy wrote:

> On 07/04/2010 06:06 PM, Lenona wrote:
>> Or, as George Bernard Shaw said: "Do not do unto others as you would
>> that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same."

> I love Miss Manners so much.
>
> Serene

she's a very funny (and eminently sensible) lady.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 10:18:39 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 18:11:17 -0700, Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
>> On 07/04/2010 06:06 PM, Lenona wrote:
>>> Or, as George Bernard Shaw said: "Do not do unto others as you would
>>> that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same."

>> I love Miss Manners so much.
>>
>> Serene

>she's a very funny (and eminently sensible) lady.
>
>your pal,
>blake

Which reminds me of another:

The birds are singing, the flowers are budding, and it is time for
Miss Manners to tell young lovers to stop necking in public.
It's not that Miss Manners is immune to romance. Miss Manners has
been known to squeeze a gentleman's arm while being helped over a
curb, and, in her wild youth, even to press a dainty slipper against a
foot or two under the dinner table. Miss Manners also believes that
the sight of people strolling hand in hand or arm in arm or arm in
hand dresses up a city considerably more than the more familiar sight
of people shaking umbrellas at one another. What Miss Manners objects
to is the kind of activity that frightens the horses on the street ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 18:06:32 -0700 (PDT), Lenona >
wrote:

>Or, as George Bernard Shaw said: "Do not do unto others as you would
>that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same."
>
>Lenona.
>
>http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...rs-informality
>
>Informality Or Not Giving A Hoot?
>Miss Manners.
>June 11, 1995|By Judith Martin, United Feature Syndicate.

<snip>

Miss Manners is one of the last at the barricades to fend off social
anarchy. I don't know when good manners and the employment of correct
etiquette became irrelevant, but it seems to be increasingly
noticeable in an increasingly uncivil society.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>>http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...rs-informality

> <snip>
>
> Miss Manners is one of the last at the barricades to fend off social>
> anarchy. I don't know when good manners and the employment of correct
> etiquette became irrelevant, but it seems to be increasingly> noticeable
> in an increasingly uncivil society.

Actually, I think WE are the last barrier, she just backs us up. Behave
like a barnyard animal when I invite you? You don't get invited anymore.
Talk about others behind their backs? I refute whatever you say, whether I
know anything or not.

My friend just told me that the mother of the bride in her son's upcoming
wedding has told her where to host the rehearsal dinner because the idea
that groom and mom came up with wasn't fancy enough to impress her
relatives. Groom is self-made millionaire at an incredibly young age.
Apparently that makes bride's family feel like everything must cost
millions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> My friend just told me that the mother of the bride in her son's upcoming
> wedding has told her where to host the rehearsal dinner because the idea
> that groom and mom came up with wasn't fancy enough to impress her
> relatives.

Who cares if they're IMPRESSED? I get along *fabulously* with my in-laws,
and none of them even made it to Lin's and my wedding!

A wedding is Just. One. Day. It's more important to impress the in-laws with
the life you lead AFTER the wedding.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 09:17:07 +0200, "Giusi" > wrote:

> My friend just told me that the mother of the bride in her son's upcoming
> wedding has told her where to host the rehearsal dinner because the idea
> that groom and mom came up with wasn't fancy enough to impress her
> relatives. Groom is self-made millionaire at an incredibly young age.
> Apparently that makes bride's family feel like everything must cost
> millions.

That MIL-to-be needs to be reigned in! Sounds like the rehearsal
dinner is turning into a pre-wedding banquet. We're parents of the
groom in August, so I know what your friend is going through. If her
son approved of the venue, it's fine. He knows what their friends
like... and nobody cares what the bride's mother thinks is
appropriate. She should be worrying about the wedding reception
details and butt out of the rehearsal dinner planning. I don't think
my son's soon to be MIL knows or cares where we've picked for the
rehearsal dinner. She is focused on the wedding and reception
details.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.