Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Miss Manners" on eating vegan food

Thought this was amusing.
Lenona.

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertain...nclick_check=1

DEAR MISS MANNERS: My husband and I recently went to a
play with some other couples from our church. Afterward, one couple
invited everyone over to their house. We were served some delicious
cake and iced tea, and had a nice time.
Later, someone from the church told me that this couple was vegan. I
didn't know what vegan was, and she explained that they don't eat any
animal products. So I guess the cake didn't have milk or eggs, but I
don't care. My husband, however, says they shouldn't force their
dietary preferences on other people. He says there might have been soy
milk in it, and he hates soy milk.

I think he's making a big deal out of nothing. Do you think it was
rude of them to serve us vegan food when they know we're probably not
vegan?

GENTLE READER: These people offered you some delicious cake that may
or may not have contained an ingredient to which your husband would
have objected if only he had detected it at the time? The nerve!

The charge of force in connection with this gentle little visit would
amuse Miss Manners if it were not so outrageous. Was your husband
taken to this couple's house by force? Was he force-fed the cake?

Apparently, the gentleman does not understand the concept of
hospitality. Miss Manners advises keeping out of social circulation
until he does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Thought this was amusing.
> Lenona.
>
> http://www.mercurynews.com/entertain...nclick_check=1
>
> DEAR MISS MANNERS: My husband and I recently went to a
> play with some other couples from our church. Afterward, one couple
> invited everyone over to their house. We were served some delicious
> cake and iced tea, and had a nice time.
> Later, someone from the church told me that this couple was vegan. I
> didn't know what vegan was, and she explained that they don't eat any
> animal products. So I guess the cake didn't have milk or eggs, but I
> don't care. My husband, however, says they shouldn't force their
> dietary preferences on other people. He says there might have been soy
> milk in it, and he hates soy milk.
>
> I think he's making a big deal out of nothing. Do you think it was
> rude of them to serve us vegan food when they know we're probably not
> vegan?

The husband and wife are both idiots. He, for eating the cake and then
bitching about it. She, for needing an advice columnist to help her sort it
all out. Here, we have two representatives from the 54%.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:16:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>Thought this was amusing.
>Lenona.

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertain...nclick_check=1

>DEAR MISS MANNERS: My husband and I recently went to a
>play with some other couples from our church. Afterward, one couple
>invited everyone over to their house. We were served some delicious
>cake and iced tea, and had a nice time.
>Later, someone from the church told me that this couple was vegan. I
>didn't know what vegan was, and she explained that they don't eat any
>animal products. So I guess the cake didn't have milk or eggs, but I
>don't care. My husband, however, says they shouldn't force their
>dietary preferences on other people. He says there might have been soy
>milk in it, and he hates soy milk.
>
>I think he's making a big deal out of nothing. Do you think it was
>rude of them to serve us vegan food when they know we're probably not
>vegan?
>
>GENTLE READER: These people offered you some delicious cake that may
>or may not have contained an ingredient to which your husband would
>have objected if only he had detected it at the time? The nerve!
>
>The charge of force in connection with this gentle little visit would
>amuse Miss Manners if it were not so outrageous. Was your husband
>taken to this couple's house by force? Was he force-fed the cake?
>
>Apparently, the gentleman does not understand the concept of
>hospitality. Miss Manners advises keeping out of social circulation
>until he does.

miss manners is my hero. funny lady.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:16:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
>> Thought this was amusing.
>> Lenona.

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertain...nclick_check=1

>> DEAR MISS MANNERS: My husband and I recently went to a
>> play with some other couples from our church. Afterward, one couple
>> invited everyone over to their house. We were served some delicious
>> cake and iced tea, and had a nice time.
>> Later, someone from the church told me that this couple was vegan. I
>> didn't know what vegan was, and she explained that they don't eat any
>> animal products. So I guess the cake didn't have milk or eggs, but I
>> don't care. My husband, however, says they shouldn't force their
>> dietary preferences on other people. He says there might have been soy
>> milk in it, and he hates soy milk.
>>
>> I think he's making a big deal out of nothing. Do you think it was
>> rude of them to serve us vegan food when they know we're probably not
>> vegan?
>>
>> GENTLE READER: These people offered you some delicious cake that may
>> or may not have contained an ingredient to which your husband would
>> have objected if only he had detected it at the time? The nerve!
>>
>> The charge of force in connection with this gentle little visit would
>> amuse Miss Manners if it were not so outrageous. Was your husband
>> taken to this couple's house by force? Was he force-fed the cake?
>>
>> Apparently, the gentleman does not understand the concept of
>> hospitality. Miss Manners advises keeping out of social circulation
>> until he does.

> miss manners is my hero. funny lady.
>
> your pal,
> blake

http://www.amazon.com/Manners-Excruc.../dp/0393058743

is one of my favorite books, ever!
Judith Martin is awesome.
--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:16:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
>> Thought this was amusing.
>> Lenona.

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertain...nclick_check=1

>> DEAR MISS MANNERS: My husband and I recently went to a
>> play with some other couples from our church. Afterward, one couple
>> invited everyone over to their house. We were served some delicious
>> cake and iced tea, and had a nice time.
>> Later, someone from the church told me that this couple was vegan. I
>> didn't know what vegan was, and she explained that they don't eat any
>> animal products. So I guess the cake didn't have milk or eggs, but I
>> don't care. My husband, however, says they shouldn't force their
>> dietary preferences on other people. He says there might have been
>> soy milk in it, and he hates soy milk.
>>
>> I think he's making a big deal out of nothing. Do you think it was
>> rude of them to serve us vegan food when they know we're probably not
>> vegan?
>>
>> GENTLE READER: These people offered you some delicious cake that may
>> or may not have contained an ingredient to which your husband would
>> have objected if only he had detected it at the time? The nerve!
>>
>> The charge of force in connection with this gentle little visit would
>> amuse Miss Manners if it were not so outrageous. Was your husband
>> taken to this couple's house by force? Was he force-fed the cake?
>>
>> Apparently, the gentleman does not understand the concept of
>> hospitality. Miss Manners advises keeping out of social circulation
>> until he does.

Wonderful, blake)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 03:04:23 GMT, Sarah Gray >
wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:16:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>>
>>> Thought this was amusing.
>>> Lenona.

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertain...nclick_check=1

>>> DEAR MISS MANNERS: My husband and I recently went to a
>>> play with some other couples from our church. Afterward, one couple
>>> invited everyone over to their house. We were served some delicious
>>> cake and iced tea, and had a nice time.
>>> Later, someone from the church told me that this couple was vegan. I
>>> didn't know what vegan was, and she explained that they don't eat any
>>> animal products. So I guess the cake didn't have milk or eggs, but I
>>> don't care. My husband, however, says they shouldn't force their
>>> dietary preferences on other people. He says there might have been soy
>>> milk in it, and he hates soy milk.
>>>
>>> I think he's making a big deal out of nothing. Do you think it was
>>> rude of them to serve us vegan food when they know we're probably not
>>> vegan?
>>>
>>> GENTLE READER: These people offered you some delicious cake that may
>>> or may not have contained an ingredient to which your husband would
>>> have objected if only he had detected it at the time? The nerve!
>>>
>>> The charge of force in connection with this gentle little visit would
>>> amuse Miss Manners if it were not so outrageous. Was your husband
>>> taken to this couple's house by force? Was he force-fed the cake?
>>>
>>> Apparently, the gentleman does not understand the concept of
>>> hospitality. Miss Manners advises keeping out of social circulation
>>> until he does.

>> miss manners is my hero. funny lady.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>http://www.amazon.com/Manners-Excruc.../dp/0393058743
>
>is one of my favorite books, ever!
>Judith Martin is awesome.

i saw her once in the audience at a memorial concert at the kennedy
center in d.c. for a washington *post* colleague. she looked as you
might expect, elegant but understated. a fine writer, too.

your pal,
blake