Old 29-05-2010, 03:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

This is a bridge score book from White Castle. I don't know if it's
from the 40's or 50's. Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
think they know how old it might be?

Cover

http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg

Inside front:

http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg

Inside back:

http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg

Lou

Old 29-05-2010, 04:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2010 9:27 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:

This is a bridge score book from White Castle. I don't know if it's
from the 40's or 50's. Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
think they know how old it might be?

Cover

http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg

Inside front:

http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg

Inside back:

http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg

Lou

From the clothing, hair styles, and home decor I would say probably
either late forties or very early fifties. No copyright date on the back
cover?
Old 29-05-2010, 04:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 10:27*am, Lou Decruss wrote:
This is a bridge score book from White Castle. *I don't know if it's
from the 40's or 50's. *Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
think they know how old it might be? *

Cover

http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg

Inside front:

http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg

Inside back:

http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg

Lou

I bet a former typesetter would be able to give you a year range, at
least. Be able to narrow it down for you. That font was very
popular.
Old 29-05-2010, 05:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 7:27*am, Lou Decruss wrote:
This is a bridge score book from White Castle. *I don't know if it's
from the 40's or 50's. *Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
think they know how old it might be? *

as a wag, i'd say early 1950's. i have some old food pamphlets from
the early 1950's, and the models were dressed the same way.

harriet & critters

Old 29-05-2010, 05:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2010 09:27:19 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

This is a bridge score book from White Castle. I don't know if it's
from the 40's or 50's. Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
think they know how old it might be?

Cover

http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg

Inside front:

http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg

Inside back:

http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg

Oh, heck. Since we're on nostalgic booklets, I found this the
other day. It's a first edition magazine that reviews "erotic"
software (unoffensive link).

http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=...Wt98y4gA%3D%3D

I'll sell it to the highest bidder above the cover price.

-sw
Old 29-05-2010, 07:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Lou Decruss wrote:

This is a bridge score book from White Castle. I don't know if it's
from the 40's or 50's. Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
think they know how old it might be?

Cover

http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg

Inside front:

http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg

Inside back:

http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg

Lou

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/whitecastle

Claims that they started giving the cards out in 1929. That
sets an early limit on it. The graphics do look like the
forties or fifties to me. I found a bunch of similar ones
for sale, but none that claimed a date. It did say they usually
had the locations of area restaurants. It might be possible to
figure out something closer if you knew when various locations
opened and closed.

Mike Beede
Old 29-05-2010, 08:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2010 11:17:38 -0400, blake murphy
wrote:

On Sat, 29 May 2010 09:27:19 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

This is a bridge score book from White Castle. I don't know if it's
from the 40's or 50's. Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
think they know how old it might be?

Cover

http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg

Inside front:

http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg

Inside back:

http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg

Lou

cool.

It cracked me up when I saw it. We had the yearly garage sale at the
summer joint. I'm getting it ready to sell so I didn't shop but we
had friends up who did. The association has a deal with the trash
company for a Monday pickup after the sale and they take as much as
you put at the street. They wanted a fire so I went out Saturday
night and collected furniture to burn and found a big stack of old
gaming books and the white castle thing was mixed in with it. I see
chemo found some on eBay and it's not worth anything to it will go in
the time capsule.

Lou
Old 29-05-2010, 08:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2010 10:45:27 -0500, George Shirley
wrote:

On 5/29/2010 9:27 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:

This is a bridge score book from White Castle. I don't know if it's
from the 40's or 50's. Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
think they know how old it might be?

Cover

http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg

Inside front:

http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg

Inside back:

http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg

Lou

From the clothing, hair styles, and home decor I would say probably
either late forties or very early fifties. No copyright date on the back
cover?

No dates but I think you're right. It's so primitive it's funny.

Lou
Old 29-05-2010, 08:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2010 08:58:40 -0700 (PDT), "Catmandy (Sheryl)"
wrote:

On May 29, 10:27*am, Lou Decruss wrote:
This is a bridge score book from White Castle. *I don't know if it's
from the 40's or 50's. *Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
think they know how old it might be? *

Cover

http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg

Inside front:

http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg

Inside back:

http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg

Lou

I bet a former typesetter would be able to give you a year range, at
least. Be able to narrow it down for you. That font was very
popular.

That's a good idea Sheryl but it would have to be a pretty old person.
I know and old printer but don't see him much anymore. I think he's
about 80. Thanks for the idea.

Lou

Old 29-05-2010, 08:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2010 09:16:01 -0700 (PDT), "critters & me in azusa, ca"
wrote:

On May 29, 7:27*am, Lou Decruss wrote:
This is a bridge score book from White Castle. *I don't know if it's
from the 40's or 50's. *Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
think they know how old it might be? *

as a wag, i'd say early 1950's. i have some old food pamphlets from
the early 1950's, and the models were dressed the same way.

I like the bow tie and the sox the guys are wearing. I actually have
a few of those ties and some bad-ass hats from a little before that
time.

Lou
Old 29-05-2010, 09:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

It cracked me up when I saw it. We had the yearly garage sale at the
summer joint. I'm getting it ready to sell so I didn't shop but we
had friends up who did. The association has a deal with the trash
company for a Monday pickup after the sale and they take as much as
you put at the street. They wanted a fire so I went out Saturday
night and collected furniture to burn and found a big stack of old
gaming books and the white castle thing was mixed in with it. I see
chemo found some on eBay and it's not worth anything to it will go in
the time capsule.

Contrary to popular belief, one of the hardest things
to burn is a book. I was told that by an old bookseller,
who told me about his biggest score. He bought a collection
on flowers that had been in a house that burned down.
Insurance paid it off, he bought the books, removed the
dust jackets, aired them out, and sold them to a collector
in France.
Old 29-05-2010, 11:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2010 13:05:37 -0700, Mark Thorson
wrote:

Lou Decruss wrote:

[...]

I only grabbed furniture for the fire. The books I wanted. I guess I
can see how it came out wrong. There's a bunch of other old stuff I
grabbed that we haven't researched yet to see the value or evaluate if
we're going to keep. I agree that books should never be burnt or
tossed. When I thinned out my cook books I loaded them in the trunk
and drove with them for a month and everyone we saw got to pick what
they wanted. What was left was given to a resale store. There were
hundreds of books and not one ended up in a landfill.

Lou

Old 29-05-2010, 11:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 May 2010 11:35:47 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Sat, 29 May 2010 09:27:19 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

This is a bridge score book from White Castle. I don't know if it's
from the 40's or 50's. Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
think they know how old it might be?

Cover

http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg

Inside front:

http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg

Inside back:

http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg

Oh, heck. Since we're on nostalgic booklets, I found this the
other day. It's a first edition magazine that reviews "erotic"
software (unoffensive link).

http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=...Wt98y4gA%3D%3D

I'll take the one on the left. She's beautiful. You can have the
other two and the guy. You're younger than me and I can't handle them
all.

Lou
Old 29-05-2010, 11:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 10:27*am, Lou Decruss wrote:
This is a bridge score book from White Castle. *I don't know if it's
from the 40's or 50's. *Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
think they know how old it might be? *

Cover

http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg

Inside front:

http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg

Inside back:

http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg

Lou

I'd guess early fifties. Looks like some cookbooks my mother bought
at the time.