Old 22-10-2014, 08:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do you stop the political promo calls?

I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.

nb

Old 22-10-2014, 08:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:26:55 PM UTC-7, notbob wrote:
I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.

nb

dont answer the phone, screen your calls with your answering machine.
Old 22-10-2014, 08:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Oct 2014 19:26:51 GMT, notbob wrote:

I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.

nb

If you find a way to stop them, let me know. We get several a day and
they are almost all showing with phone numbers of 000-000-0000. I
just checked and since 10/08 we have had 25 calls, 3 of which were
from people we knew and 1 probable from my doctor.

The big problem is that you cannot actually talk to anyone. I
sometimes slam down the phone but I'm sure there is no living person
on the other end. Makes me feel better. DH has at least once pushed
the 7 or 8 button when they ask for 1 or 2. After a couple of times
the hang up.
--
Susan N.

Old 22-10-2014, 08:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Oct 2014 19:26:51 GMT, notbob wrote:

I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.

nb

Between the two of us, we haven't gotten a single call like that. Oh,
wait. It's because we have cell phones. ;P

Old 22-10-2014, 08:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/22/2014 3:44 PM, The Cook wrote:
On 22 Oct 2014 19:26:51 GMT, notbob wrote:

I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.

nb

If you find a way to stop them, let me know. We get several a day and
they are almost all showing with phone numbers of 000-000-0000. I
just checked and since 10/08 we have had 25 calls, 3 of which were
from people we knew and 1 probable from my doctor.

The big problem is that you cannot actually talk to anyone. I
sometimes slam down the phone but I'm sure there is no living person
on the other end. Makes me feel better. DH has at least once pushed
the 7 or 8 button when they ask for 1 or 2. After a couple of times
the hang up.

I don't get many phone calls asking for political contributions but I
think I get about 10 hysterical e-mails each day implying that if I do
not contribute the Kochs will prevail.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Old 22-10-2014, 10:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message
I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.

nb

Nothing to do about it since they are exempt from the do not call list, but
they'll stop when the elections are over. I simply let all unrecognized
calls go to the answering machine now.

Cheri

Old 22-10-2014, 11:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Oct 2014 19:26:51 GMT, notbob wrote:

I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.

nb

You can't, short of getting rid of your phone.

It's a wonderful nation we have, eh? ;-)

John Kuthe...

---

Old 23-10-2014, 01:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:51:42 PM UTC-5, James Silverton wrote:
[...]

And other folks get material that truly is funded by the Kochs. If someone
would suicide bomb those assholes, I might put his/her picture on my living
room wall, or on a tee shirt with the caption, "AMERICAN HERO."

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

--Bryan

Old 23-10-2014, 03:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:26:55 PM UTC-7, notbob wrote:

I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.

I just let their machine talk to my machine. No harm done.

But my MIL years ago was excited to hear Bill Clinton recommend some senator
or other.
Old 23-10-2014, 06:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message
On 22 Oct 2014 19:26:51 GMT, notbob wrote:

I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.

nb

Between the two of us, we haven't gotten a single call like that. Oh,
wait. It's because we have cell phones. ;P

I rarely get political calls.

Old 23-10-2014, 08:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 23, 2014 12:23:53 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

I rarely get political calls.

That's quite interesting.

Old 23-10-2014, 12:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:22:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"sf" wrote in message
.. .
On 22 Oct 2014 19:26:51 GMT, notbob wrote:

I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.

nb

Between the two of us, we haven't gotten a single call like that. Oh,
wait. It's because we have cell phones. ;P

I rarely get political calls.

Are you registered to vote?
--
Susan N.

Old 23-10-2014, 01:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:51:42 PM UTC-4, James Silverton wrote:
[...]

Yeah, but when the son of a deposed Nigerian prince calls, what are you going to do? - Mike

Old 23-10-2014, 01:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/23/2014 7:46 AM, The Cook wrote:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:22:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"sf" wrote

Between the two of us, we haven't gotten a single call like that. Oh,
wait. It's because we have cell phones. ;P

I rarely get political calls.

Are you registered to vote?

Knock wood, I have never gotten a political call in my
life. Not when I had a land line, not now that I only
have cell phones.

Yes, I am registered and I do vote.

nancy

Old 23-10-2014, 01:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/22/2014 2:26 PM, notbob wrote:
I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.

There are two broad groups of political promo calls: those designed to
get out the vote, and those designed to dissuade people from voting.
The second type usually flood targeted communities shortly before the
election. The way they work is to either deliberately provide
misinformation (such as telling people to go vote at the wrong
precinct, or claiming election day is one day after its actual date)
or to antagonize voters by harassing them with endless calls
supposedly supporting the candidate(s) that the voters are most likely
to support. People understandably get ****ed off when their
candidate/party is *apparently* hounding them to death, and often
retaliate by voting for the opposing candidate, or not voting at all.
Mission accomplished.