FoodBanter.com

-   -   A Nostalgic Promo Item I found (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/397042-nostalgic-promo-item-i.html)

Lou decruss 29-05-2010 03:27 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

This is a bridge score book from White Castle. I don't know if it's
from the 40's or 50's. Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
think they know how old it might be?

Cover

http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg

Inside front:

http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg

Inside back:

http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg

Lou

blake murphy[_2_] 29-05-2010 04:17 PM

On Sat, 29 May 2010 09:27:19 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> This is a bridge score book from White Castle. I don't know if it's
> from the 40's or 50's. Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
> think they know how old it might be?
>
> Cover
>
> http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg
>
> Inside front:
>
> http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg
>
> Inside back:
>
> http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg
>
> Lou

cool.

your pal,
blake

George Shirley 29-05-2010 04:45 PM

On 5/29/2010 9:27 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:

> This is a bridge score book from White Castle. I don't know if it's
> from the 40's or 50's. Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
> think they know how old it might be?
>
> Cover
>
> http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg
>
> Inside front:
>
> http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg
>
> Inside back:
>
> http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg
>
> Lou

From the clothing, hair styles, and home decor I would say probably
either late forties or very early fifties. No copyright date on the back
cover?

Catmandy (Sheryl) 29-05-2010 04:58 PM

On May 29, 10:27*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> This is a bridge score book from White Castle. *I don't know if it's
> from the 40's or 50's. *Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
> think they know how old it might be? *
>
> Cover
>
> http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg
>
> Inside front:
>
> http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg
>
> Inside back:
>
> http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg
>
> Lou

I bet a former typesetter would be able to give you a year range, at
least. Be able to narrow it down for you. That font was very
popular.

critters & me in azusa, ca 29-05-2010 05:16 PM

On May 29, 7:27*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> This is a bridge score book from White Castle. *I don't know if it's
> from the 40's or 50's. *Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
> think they know how old it might be? *

as a wag, i'd say early 1950's. i have some old food pamphlets from
the early 1950's, and the models were dressed the same way.

harriet & critters

Sqwertz 29-05-2010 05:35 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Sat, 29 May 2010 09:27:19 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> This is a bridge score book from White Castle. I don't know if it's
> from the 40's or 50's. Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
> think they know how old it might be?
>
> Cover
>
> http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg
>
> Inside front:
>
> http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg
>
> Inside back:
>
> http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg

Oh, heck. Since we're on nostalgic booklets, I found this the
other day. It's a first edition magazine that reviews "erotic"
software (unoffensive link).

http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=...Wt98y4gA%3D%3D

I'll sell it to the highest bidder above the cover price.

-sw

Mike Beede[_2_] 29-05-2010 07:42 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> This is a bridge score book from White Castle. I don't know if it's
> from the 40's or 50's. Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
> think they know how old it might be?
>
> Cover
>
> http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg
>
> Inside front:
>
> http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg
>
> Inside back:
>
> http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg
>
> Lou

<http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/whitecastle>

Claims that they started giving the cards out in 1929. That
sets an early limit on it. The graphics do look like the
forties or fifties to me. I found a bunch of similar ones
for sale, but none that claimed a date. It did say they usually
had the locations of area restaurants. It might be possible to
figure out something closer if you knew when various locations
opened and closed.

Mike Beede

Lou decruss 29-05-2010 08:43 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Sat, 29 May 2010 11:17:38 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2010 09:27:19 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> This is a bridge score book from White Castle. I don't know if it's
>> from the 40's or 50's. Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
>> think they know how old it might be?
>>
>> Cover
>>
>> http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg
>>
>> Inside front:
>>
>> http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg
>>
>> Inside back:
>>
>> http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg
>>
>> Lou

>cool.

It cracked me up when I saw it. We had the yearly garage sale at the
summer joint. I'm getting it ready to sell so I didn't shop but we
had friends up who did. The association has a deal with the trash
company for a Monday pickup after the sale and they take as much as
you put at the street. They wanted a fire so I went out Saturday
night and collected furniture to burn and found a big stack of old
gaming books and the white castle thing was mixed in with it. I see
chemo found some on eBay and it's not worth anything to it will go in
the time capsule.

Lou

Lou decruss 29-05-2010 08:44 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Sat, 29 May 2010 10:45:27 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>On 5/29/2010 9:27 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> This is a bridge score book from White Castle. I don't know if it's
>> from the 40's or 50's. Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
>> think they know how old it might be?
>>
>> Cover
>>
>> http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg
>>
>> Inside front:
>>
>> http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg
>>
>> Inside back:
>>
>> http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg
>>
>> Lou

> From the clothing, hair styles, and home decor I would say probably
>either late forties or very early fifties. No copyright date on the back
>cover?

No dates but I think you're right. It's so primitive it's funny.

Lou

Lou decruss 29-05-2010 08:47 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Sat, 29 May 2010 08:58:40 -0700 (PDT), "Catmandy (Sheryl)"
> wrote:

>On May 29, 10:27*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>> This is a bridge score book from White Castle. *I don't know if it's
>> from the 40's or 50's. *Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
>> think they know how old it might be? *
>>
>> Cover
>>
>> http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg
>>
>> Inside front:
>>
>> http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg
>>
>> Inside back:
>>
>> http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg
>>
>> Lou

>I bet a former typesetter would be able to give you a year range, at
>least. Be able to narrow it down for you. That font was very
>popular.

That's a good idea Sheryl but it would have to be a pretty old person.
I know and old printer but don't see him much anymore. I think he's
about 80. Thanks for the idea.

Lou

Lou decruss 29-05-2010 08:51 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Sat, 29 May 2010 09:16:01 -0700 (PDT), "critters & me in azusa, ca"
> wrote:

>On May 29, 7:27*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>> This is a bridge score book from White Castle. *I don't know if it's
>> from the 40's or 50's. *Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
>> think they know how old it might be? *
>>

>as a wag, i'd say early 1950's. i have some old food pamphlets from
>the early 1950's, and the models were dressed the same way.

I like the bow tie and the sox the guys are wearing. I actually have
a few of those ties and some bad-ass hats from a little before that
time.

Lou

Mark Thorson 29-05-2010 09:05 PM

Lou Decruss wrote:

> It cracked me up when I saw it. We had the yearly garage sale at the
> summer joint. I'm getting it ready to sell so I didn't shop but we
> had friends up who did. The association has a deal with the trash
> company for a Monday pickup after the sale and they take as much as
> you put at the street. They wanted a fire so I went out Saturday
> night and collected furniture to burn and found a big stack of old
> gaming books and the white castle thing was mixed in with it. I see
> chemo found some on eBay and it's not worth anything to it will go in
> the time capsule.

Contrary to popular belief, one of the hardest things
to burn is a book. I was told that by an old bookseller,
who told me about his biggest score. He bought a collection
on flowers that had been in a house that burned down.
Insurance paid it off, he bought the books, removed the
dust jackets, aired them out, and sold them to a collector
in France.

Lou decruss 29-05-2010 11:06 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Sat, 29 May 2010 13:05:37 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> It cracked me up when I saw it. We had the yearly garage sale at the
>> summer joint. I'm getting it ready to sell so I didn't shop but we
>> had friends up who did. The association has a deal with the trash
>> company for a Monday pickup after the sale and they take as much as
>> you put at the street. They wanted a fire so I went out Saturday
>> night and collected furniture to burn and found a big stack of old
>> gaming books and the white castle thing was mixed in with it. I see
>> chemo found some on eBay and it's not worth anything to it will go in
>> the time capsule.

>Contrary to popular belief, one of the hardest things
>to burn is a book. I was told that by an old bookseller,
>who told me about his biggest score. He bought a collection
>on flowers that had been in a house that burned down.
>Insurance paid it off, he bought the books, removed the
>dust jackets, aired them out, and sold them to a collector
>in France.

I only grabbed furniture for the fire. The books I wanted. I guess I
can see how it came out wrong. There's a bunch of other old stuff I
grabbed that we haven't researched yet to see the value or evaluate if
we're going to keep. I agree that books should never be burnt or
tossed. When I thinned out my cook books I loaded them in the trunk
and drove with them for a month and everyone we saw got to pick what
they wanted. What was left was given to a resale store. There were
hundreds of books and not one ended up in a landfill.

Lou

Lou decruss 29-05-2010 11:09 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Sat, 29 May 2010 11:35:47 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2010 09:27:19 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> This is a bridge score book from White Castle. I don't know if it's
>> from the 40's or 50's. Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
>> think they know how old it might be?
>>
>> Cover
>>
>> http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg
>>
>> Inside front:
>>
>> http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg
>>
>> Inside back:
>>
>> http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg

>Oh, heck. Since we're on nostalgic booklets, I found this the
>other day. It's a first edition magazine that reviews "erotic"
>software (unoffensive link).
>
>http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=...Wt98y4gA%3D%3D

I'll take the one on the left. She's beautiful. You can have the
other two and the guy. You're younger than me and I can't handle them
all.

Lou

Kalmia 29-05-2010 11:14 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On May 29, 10:27*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> This is a bridge score book from White Castle. *I don't know if it's
> from the 40's or 50's. *Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
> think they know how old it might be? *
>
> Cover
>
> http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg
>
> Inside front:
>
> http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg
>
> Inside back:
>
> http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg
>
> Lou

I'd guess early fifties. Looks like some cookbooks my mother bought
at the time.

Lou decruss 29-05-2010 11:14 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Sat, 29 May 2010 13:42:51 -0500, Mike Beede
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> This is a bridge score book from White Castle. I don't know if it's
>> from the 40's or 50's. Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
>> think they know how old it might be?
>>
>> Cover
>>
>> http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg
>>
>> Inside front:
>>
>> http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg
>>
>> Inside back:
>>
>> http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg
>>
>> Lou

><http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/whitecastle>
>
>Claims that they started giving the cards out in 1929. That
>sets an early limit on it. The graphics do look like the
>forties or fifties to me. I found a bunch of similar ones
>for sale, but none that claimed a date. It did say they usually
>had the locations of area restaurants. It might be possible to
>figure out something closer if you knew when various locations
>opened and closed.
>
> Mike Beede

Great link Mike. Thanks. This has no locations. It's cool though
and I'm keeping it. I don't know how to play bridge though. <g>

Lou

Mark Thorson 30-05-2010 03:15 PM

Lou Decruss wrote:

> Great link Mike. Thanks. This has no locations. It's cool though
> and I'm keeping it. I don't know how to play bridge though. <g>

Who does? That's like cribbage or something.
It's only played in old folk's homes.

blake murphy[_2_] 30-05-2010 05:41 PM

On Sat, 29 May 2010 14:43:23 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Sat, 29 May 2010 11:17:38 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 29 May 2010 09:27:19 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> This is a bridge score book from White Castle. I don't know if it's
>>> from the 40's or 50's. Has anyone here ever seen one of these or
>>> think they know how old it might be?
>>>
>>> Cover
>>>
>>> http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4dv7t.jpg
>>>
>>> Inside front:
>>>
>>> http://i45.tinypic.com/azanic.jpg
>>>
>>> Inside back:
>>>
>>> http://i47.tinypic.com/6rpvzp.jpg
>>>
>>> Lou

>>cool.

> It cracked me up when I saw it. We had the yearly garage sale at the
> summer joint. I'm getting it ready to sell so I didn't shop but we
> had friends up who did. The association has a deal with the trash
> company for a Monday pickup after the sale and they take as much as
> you put at the street. They wanted a fire so I went out Saturday
> night and collected furniture to burn and found a big stack of old
> gaming books and the white castle thing was mixed in with it. I see
> chemo found some on eBay and it's not worth anything to it will go in
> the time capsule.
>
> Lou

you're selling your cabin?

your pal,
blake

Lou decruss 01-06-2010 03:48 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Sun, 30 May 2010 12:41:27 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 May 2010 14:43:23 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

>> It cracked me up when I saw it. We had the yearly garage sale at the
>> summer joint. I'm getting it ready to sell so I didn't shop but we
>> had friends up who did. The association has a deal with the trash
>> company for a Monday pickup after the sale and they take as much as
>> you put at the street. They wanted a fire so I went out Saturday
>> night and collected furniture to burn and found a big stack of old
>> gaming books and the white castle thing was mixed in with it. I see
>> chemo found some on eBay and it's not worth anything to it will go in
>> the time capsule.
>>
>> Lou

>you're selling your cabin?

It's killing me financially. Dumping it isn't going to help me much
(if at all) but it will be one less thing to worry about. It's not a
cabin but a 3 bedroom- 2.5 bath house. 2 car garage, 600sq.ft. deck
etc. It's in a gated vacation/retirement community of 1400 homes less
that 2 hours from Chicago. 128 are on the market plus the ones in
foreclosure. Nothing's selling there. One house was on the market
for $399k and after 3 years it went for $239. I bought mine as an
investment and planned on using it until kids grew up and figured my
money was safe there.

Was I ever wrong.

Lou

blake murphy[_2_] 02-06-2010 07:05 PM

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 09:48:35 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Sun, 30 May 2010 12:41:27 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 29 May 2010 14:43:23 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> It cracked me up when I saw it. We had the yearly garage sale at the
>>> summer joint. I'm getting it ready to sell so I didn't shop but we
>>> had friends up who did. The association has a deal with the trash
>>> company for a Monday pickup after the sale and they take as much as
>>> you put at the street. They wanted a fire so I went out Saturday
>>> night and collected furniture to burn and found a big stack of old
>>> gaming books and the white castle thing was mixed in with it. I see
>>> chemo found some on eBay and it's not worth anything to it will go in
>>> the time capsule.
>>>
>>> Lou

>>you're selling your cabin?

> It's killing me financially. Dumping it isn't going to help me much
> (if at all) but it will be one less thing to worry about. It's not a
> cabin but a 3 bedroom- 2.5 bath house. 2 car garage, 600sq.ft. deck
> etc. It's in a gated vacation/retirement community of 1400 homes less
> that 2 hours from Chicago. 128 are on the market plus the ones in
> foreclosure. Nothing's selling there. One house was on the market
> for $399k and after 3 years it went for $239. I bought mine as an
> investment and planned on using it until kids grew up and figured my
> money was safe there.
>
> Was I ever wrong.
>
> Lou

well, i'm sorry to hear it. it sounded like a sweet place.

your pal,
blake

Lou decruss 03-06-2010 09:01 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:05:36 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 09:48:35 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

>>>you're selling your cabin?

>> It's killing me financially. Dumping it isn't going to help me much
>> (if at all) but it will be one less thing to worry about. It's not a
>> cabin but a 3 bedroom- 2.5 bath house. 2 car garage, 600sq.ft. deck
>> etc. It's in a gated vacation/retirement community of 1400 homes less
>> that 2 hours from Chicago. 128 are on the market plus the ones in
>> foreclosure. Nothing's selling there. One house was on the market
>> for $399k and after 3 years it went for $239. I bought mine as an
>> investment and planned on using it until kids grew up and figured my
>> money was safe there.
>>
>> Was I ever wrong.
>>
>> Lou

>well, i'm sorry to hear it. it sounded like a sweet place.

The house itself is nothing. Mine is nothing compared to the area.
It's the yard and the fun we've had there that sucks to leave.

Look how happy Louise is he

http://i47.tinypic.com/25sx743.jpg

I'm the tall fat guy here. You'll see crab legs on the left. We cook
there A LOT!

http://i49.tinypic.com/k150kz.jpg

I weigh 3-4 times what the kids weigh so I made sure the swing was
safe.

http://i49.tinypic.com/jgml4i.jpg

This is the arbor that's in the background or the first picture after
it had some vines. It took Louise two years to collect the vines to
make it. It's strapped to poles with the cable ties cops use for the
nice folks they arrest.

http://i45.tinypic.com/24wt5ye.jpg

I'm still scrambling for a way to keep that place but it ain't looking
to promising. I lost everything 25 years ago to cocaine and a
miserable bitch but I climbed out and did well. I can do it again but
it's not going to be as easy these days.

Chemo recently mentioned his situation. That pretty much should make
one think about what's on their plate. I can lose my house but I
don't have cancer. My foot has been carved up four times and has bone
from my hip in it and I hurts 24 hours a day but I can walk. You,
more that others might understand that.

I'm way past OT so I'll shut up. But I'll post a picture of the
cherry tree next week. Amazing soup it makes!

Lou

Terry Pulliam Burd[_4_] 04-06-2010 02:02 AM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 15:01:48 -0500, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

>The house itself is nothing. Mine is nothing compared to the area.
>It's the yard and the fun we've had there that sucks to leave.

What a beautiful place, Lou. I'm sorry as hell to learn of your
troubles. Fingers crossed and a word to the Big Guy.

And I have a feeling Louise will be happy wherever *you* are.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

gloria.p 04-06-2010 03:41 AM

Lou Decruss wrote:

> I'm still scrambling for a way to keep that place but it ain't looking
> to promising. I lost everything 25 years ago to cocaine and a
> miserable bitch but I climbed out and did well. I can do it again but
> it's not going to be as easy these days.

Those are great photos of a wonderful place, Lou. I hope you can find a
way to keep it.

Things aren't easy for most people these days. My kids work hard and do
OK, but I can't imagine what the grandchildren will face when they are
adults.

Best wishes to you for a successful outcome.

gloria p

Dave Smith[_1_] 04-06-2010 03:54 AM

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Lou Decruss wrote:
>> Great link Mike. Thanks. This has no locations. It's cool though
>> and I'm keeping it. I don't know how to play bridge though. <g>

> Who does? That's like cribbage or something.
> It's only played in old folk's homes.

I played a lot of bridge when I was in university. It's a great game. I
haven't played it in years, but I have been thinking about getting back
into it.

Terry Pulliam Burd[_4_] 04-06-2010 07:20 AM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 22:54:49 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Mark Thorson wrote:

>> Who does? That's like cribbage or something.
>> It's only played in old folk's homes.

>I played a lot of bridge when I was in university. It's a great game. I
>haven't played it in years, but I have been thinking about getting back
>into it.

Haven't played it in years, either, but it's a brilliant game. My
mother was a life master and essentially forced me to learn the
game...so she'd always have a fourth. I particularly liked duplicate
bridge. Great game of strategy and knowledge of a very complicated
game. I'm getting a brain cramp just trying to remember conventions
beyond short club (?) and Stayman <g>

OB: My mother had bridge parties - usually 3 tables of 4 - and she put
out sweets, such as bowls of butter mints and chocolate covered
cherries, as well as cheese balls and chips and dip. By the time I hit
my 9th birthday, I learned how to mix a martini and a Manhattan, as
well as bid and play a hand for a lady who had to use the rest room.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Ophelia[_7_] 04-06-2010 09:12 AM

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:05:36 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:

>>> It's killing me financially. Dumping it isn't going to help me much
>>> (if at all) but it will be one less thing to worry about. It's not a
>>> cabin but a 3 bedroom- 2.5 bath house. 2 car garage, 600sq.ft. deck
>>> etc. It's in a gated vacation/retirement community of 1400 homes less
>>> that 2 hours from Chicago. 128 are on the market plus the ones in
>>> foreclosure. Nothing's selling there. One house was on the market
>>> for $399k and after 3 years it went for $239. I bought mine as an
>>> investment and planned on using it until kids grew up and figured my
>>> money was safe there.
>>>
>>> Was I ever wrong.
>>>
>>> Lou

>>well, i'm sorry to hear it. it sounded like a sweet place.

> The house itself is nothing. Mine is nothing compared to the area.
> It's the yard and the fun we've had there that sucks to leave.
>
> Look how happy Louise is he
>
> http://i47.tinypic.com/25sx743.jpg
>
> I'm the tall fat guy here. You'll see crab legs on the left. We cook
> there A LOT!
>
> http://i49.tinypic.com/k150kz.jpg
>
> I weigh 3-4 times what the kids weigh so I made sure the swing was
> safe.
>
> http://i49.tinypic.com/jgml4i.jpg
>
> This is the arbor that's in the background or the first picture after
> it had some vines. It took Louise two years to collect the vines to
> make it. It's strapped to poles with the cable ties cops use for the
> nice folks they arrest.
>
> http://i45.tinypic.com/24wt5ye.jpg
>
> I'm still scrambling for a way to keep that place but it ain't looking
> to promising. I lost everything 25 years ago to cocaine and a
> miserable bitch but I climbed out and did well. I can do it again but
> it's not going to be as easy these days.
>
> Chemo recently mentioned his situation. That pretty much should make
> one think about what's on their plate. I can lose my house but I
> don't have cancer. My foot has been carved up four times and has bone
> from my hip in it and I hurts 24 hours a day but I can walk. You,
> more that others might understand that.
>
> I'm way past OT so I'll shut up. But I'll post a picture of the
> cherry tree next week. Amazing soup it makes!

I can see why you would be so sad to lose it:( Beautiful! We have a
country cottage on the Moray Firth in Scotland and we are thinking of having
to sell. Oh well, we do what we have to do in our lives:) Health and
happiness is the most important.

ps... you make soup of a cherry tree? :p

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ophelia[_7_] 04-06-2010 09:13 AM

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 15:01:48 -0500, Lou Decruss
> > wrote:
>
>>The house itself is nothing. Mine is nothing compared to the area.
>>It's the yard and the fun we've had there that sucks to leave.

> What a beautiful place, Lou. I'm sorry as hell to learn of your
> troubles. Fingers crossed and a word to the Big Guy.
>
> And I have a feeling Louise will be happy wherever *you* are.

She looks pretty happy in that pic:)
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

cybercat 04-06-2010 09:33 AM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

"Ophelia" > wrote

> I can see why you would be so sad to lose it.

What goes around comes around. Funny how that works.

Melba's Jammin' 04-06-2010 01:56 PM

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 22:54:49 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >Mark Thorson wrote:

> >> Who does? That's like cribbage or something.
> >> It's only played in old folk's homes.

Maybe. Maybe not. But if it is, learning to play now will help pass
the time when you're the resident in The Home, Mark. "-)

> >I played a lot of bridge

> Haven't played it in years, either, but it's a brilliant game. My
> mother was a life master and essentially forced me to learn the
> game...so she'd always have a fourth.

(snip)
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

LOL! Did you know that Margaret is a life master? Learning bridge was
probably the best thing I ever did. I met more women in those years
that I ever would have without the game. I got a lot of good recipes
from those women, too.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

nfw 04-06-2010 02:03 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 07:56:00 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 22:54:49 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>Maybe. Maybe not. But if it is, learning to play now will help pass
>the time when you're the resident in The Home, Mark. "-)
>> >

>> >I played a lot of bridge

>> Haven't played it in years, either, but it's a brilliant game. My
>> mother was a life master and essentially forced me to learn the
>> game...so she'd always have a fourth.

>(snip)
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

>LOL! Did you know that Margaret is a life master? Learning bridge was
>probably the best thing I ever did. I met more women in those years
>that I ever would have without the game. I got a lot of good recipes
>from those women, too.

Barb (stern tone) update that blog asap

Dave Smith[_1_] 04-06-2010 02:59 PM

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

>> I played a lot of bridge when I was in university. It's a great game. I
>> haven't played it in years, but I have been thinking about getting back
>> into it.

> Haven't played it in years, either, but it's a brilliant game. My
> mother was a life master and essentially forced me to learn the
> game...so she'd always have a fourth. I particularly liked duplicate
> bridge. Great game of strategy and knowledge of a very complicated
> game. I'm getting a brain cramp just trying to remember conventions
> beyond short club (?) and Stayman <g>

I don't remember the conventions anymore. I was never great at it. Some
of the guys I played with would know what everyone else had in their
hands after two rounds of bidding.

My brother used to play it too. He had some friends who played it but
they needed a fourth. One of his friends loved playing cards but refused
to learn Bridge because he thought it was an old lady's game. So they
made up a new name for it and taught him, not telling him that it was
really Bridge. The guy loved it.

> OB: My mother had bridge parties - usually 3 tables of 4 - and she put
> out sweets, such as bowls of butter mints and chocolate covered
> cherries, as well as cheese balls and chips and dip. By the time I hit
> my 9th birthday, I learned how to mix a martini and a Manhattan, as
> well as bid and play a hand for a lady who had to use the rest room.

My mother used to belong to a bridge club too. They used to rotate to
each other's homes for their weekly bridge parties. It was more of a
social thing because they did more yakking than serious card playing.

Becca[_5_] 04-06-2010 04:55 PM

On 6/3/2010 3:01 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:

> The house itself is nothing. Mine is nothing compared to the area.
> It's the yard and the fun we've had there that sucks to leave.
>
> Look how happy Louise is he
>
> http://i47.tinypic.com/25sx743.jpg

Life is a mess, sometimes. Best of luck making that decision, I know it
is a hard one. You do have Louise, which means a lot. She is also very
attractive.

Becca

Lou decruss 04-06-2010 05:10 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 20:41:31 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>

>> I'm still scrambling for a way to keep that place but it ain't looking
>> to promising. I lost everything 25 years ago to cocaine and a
>> miserable bitch but I climbed out and did well. I can do it again but
>> it's not going to be as easy these days.

>Those are great photos of a wonderful place, Lou. I hope you can find a
>way to keep it.
>
>Things aren't easy for most people these days. My kids work hard and do
>OK, but I can't imagine what the grandchildren will face when they are
>adults.
>
>Best wishes to you for a successful outcome.

Thanks Gloria. I think even our kids are going to have it rough.

Lou

Lou decruss 04-06-2010 05:12 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 09:12:33 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I'm way past OT so I'll shut up. But I'll post a picture of the
>> cherry tree next week. Amazing soup it makes!

>I can see why you would be so sad to lose it:( Beautiful! We have a
>country cottage on the Moray Firth in Scotland and we are thinking of having
>to sell. Oh well, we do what we have to do in our lives:) Health and
>happiness is the most important.

True

>ps... you make soup of a cherry tree? :p

LOL. I did a thread a couple years ago on cherry soup w/dumplings.
Good stuff.

Lou

Lou decruss 04-06-2010 05:13 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 18:02:48 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 15:01:48 -0500, Lou Decruss
> wrote:
>
>>The house itself is nothing. Mine is nothing compared to the area.
>>It's the yard and the fun we've had there that sucks to leave.

>What a beautiful place, Lou.

Just the yard. The back is deeded as a park and will never change.
We get gallons of berries from there every year. We didn't set any
yard art up this year so it's kinda barren but the gardens are mature.
The wrens are on the second generation and come back every year to the
same nesting area. I didn't put up any garden pictures but it's a
butterfly and hummingbird haven. I sit on the deck in the morning and
look through cook books and plan the meals. There's no internet or
phone which rocks! We even have a hard time with our cell phones
there. The nearest stop light is 15 miles away. Yes, I'll miss the
place.

>I'm sorry as hell to learn of your
>troubles. Fingers crossed and a word to the Big Guy.

I'm buying a lotto ticket tonight. <g>

>And I have a feeling Louise will be happy wherever *you* are.

I hope so. She's annoyed with me because I can't pull this off. I've
applied for jobs that are so far beneath me it's pathetic and can't
even get those. But she does like my cooking!

Lou

Lou decruss 04-06-2010 05:14 PM

A Nostalgic Promo Item I found

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 09:13:17 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 15:01:48 -0500, Lou Decruss
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>The house itself is nothing. Mine is nothing compared to the area.
>>>It's the yard and the fun we've had there that sucks to leave.

>> What a beautiful place, Lou. I'm sorry as hell to learn of your
>> troubles. Fingers crossed and a word to the Big Guy.
>>
>> And I have a feeling Louise will be happy wherever *you* are.

>She looks pretty happy in that pic:)

She loves the yard and all the "stuff." Her bird cage collection
cracks me up. She'd work in the yard all day if she had the choice.

Lou

Dan Abel 04-06-2010 05:23 PM

Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Lou Decruss wrote:
> >
> > Great link Mike. Thanks. This has no locations. It's cool though
> > and I'm keeping it. I don't know how to play bridge though. <g>

It's just like Hearts, but way different.

:-)

> Who does? That's like cribbage or something.
> It's only played in old folk's homes.

Bridge is an interesting game. It takes four to play, but only three
people actually play the hands. Thus, any time you find three hard core
bridge players, they are always in search of a fourth. When I was first
in college, there were three grad students from China living in the same
rooming house I was in. They were studying nuclear engineering. They
were a little older, and had wives and children back in China. The
Chinese government was very clear about the families back in China. If
they allowed them to come to the US, China knew they would never see
these students again. The families were basically hostages to ensure
their return. The Chinese government was paying everything, including
support for the families. They were expert bridge players, and were
always looking for a fourth. So I learned a little bridge.

Many years later, we went to church camps, and there always seemed to be
three expert bridge players. I wasn't interested, but I mentioned my
young son, who is a genius. They taught him some bridge.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

gloria.p 04-06-2010 05:26 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 22:54:49 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

> Maybe. Maybe not. But if it is, learning to play now will help pass
> the time when you're the resident in The Home, Mark. "-)
>>>
>>> I played a lot of bridge

>> Haven't played it in years, either, but it's a brilliant game. My
>> mother was a life master and essentially forced me to learn the
>> game...so she'd always have a fourth.

> (snip)
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

> LOL! Did you know that Margaret is a life master? Learning bridge was
> probably the best thing I ever did. I met more women in those years
> that I ever would have without the game. I got a lot of good recipes
> from those women, too.

I played for a while but found I really hated it--I have no card sense
or strategy, even for Whist and can't remember what's been played.
(ADHD?) I can lose pretty quickly at Hearts, too. We also played a lot
of Pinochle in college but I don't remember much of anything about the
game. I can play Cribbage by the hour and am pretty good at it. (I
can't strategize but I CAN count....)

gloria p

gloria.p 04-06-2010 05:39 PM

Dave Smith wrote:
> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>>
>>> I played a lot of bridge when I was in university. It's a great
>>> game. I haven't played it in years, but I have been thinking about
>>> getting back into it.

>> Haven't played it in years, either, but it's a brilliant game. My
>> mother was a life master and essentially forced me to learn the
>> game...so she'd always have a fourth. I particularly liked duplicate
>> bridge. Great game of strategy and knowledge of a very complicated
>> game. I'm getting a brain cramp just trying to remember conventions
>> beyond short club (?) and Stayman <g>

> I don't remember the conventions anymore. I was never great at it. Some
> of the guys I played with would know what everyone else had in their
> hands after two rounds of bidding.

My husband and his best college buddy could do that. He tries to do it
now playing Texas Hold'em poker in local leagues and much of the time he
guesses wrongly. It's kind of refreshing that he can't do it but it
still doesn't stop him from rehashing every hand to me when he gets
home. OB FOOD: The recap makes me want to poke my eardrums with a BBQ
skewer sometimes. ;-)

gloria p

Lou decruss 04-06-2010 07:45 PM

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 10:55:09 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>On 6/3/2010 3:01 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> The house itself is nothing. Mine is nothing compared to the area.
>> It's the yard and the fun we've had there that sucks to leave.
>>
>> Look how happy Louise is he
>>
>> http://i47.tinypic.com/25sx743.jpg
>>

>Life is a mess, sometimes. Best of luck making that decision, I know it
>is a hard one.

Yup. Even those who seem to have it all together have problems.

>You do have Louise, which means a lot.

Yes. Even that takes work though. But you know that.

>She is also very attractive.

I'll tell her you said so. Even though we were both much thinner and
I had hair when we met she didn't do much for me. But I liked her and
she'll admit she was the aggressor in the relationship. We were both
playing the field but something changed and we both stopped about the
same time but never said anything about it for months. Given a choice
of a house or her I'll take her in a heartbeat.

Lou