Old 27-05-2010, 01:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pastry bag alternative?

I made a batch of guougeres the other day, and, since I don't own a
pastry bag, things got kind of messy. The dough is just too sticky. The
best I could do was to spoon it onto the baking pan. Does anyone have
good alternative to squeezing it out of a bag?
TIA

D.M.

Old 27-05-2010, 02:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2010 17:34:35 -0700, Don Martinich
wrote:

I made a batch of guougeres the other day, and, since I don't own a
pastry bag, things got kind of messy. The dough is just too sticky. The
best I could do was to spoon it onto the baking pan. Does anyone have
good alternative to squeezing it out of a bag?
TIA

D.M.

Use a ziplock baggie with a corner cut off. Spoon your dough into
that (before you cut off the tip), and then squeeze it out. Works a
treat.

Christine
Old 27-05-2010, 02:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I made a batch of guougeres the other day, and, since I don't own a
pastry bag, things got kind of messy. The dough is just too sticky. The
best I could do was to spoon it onto the baking pan. Does anyone have
good alternative to squeezing it out of a bag?
TIA

D.M.

Use a ziplock baggie with a corner cut off. Spoon your dough into
that (before you cut off the tip), and then squeeze it out. Works a
treat.

Christine

Agreed. And you can toss the bag. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Old 27-05-2010, 03:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2010 17:34:35 -0700, Don Martinich wrote:

I made a batch of guougeres the other day, and, since I don't own a
pastry bag, things got kind of messy. The dough is just too sticky. The
best I could do was to spoon it onto the baking pan. Does anyone have
good alternative to squeezing it out of a bag?
TIA

I cut a corner off of a ziplock bag and regular pastry tips fit in there
just fine.

You can also use parchment paper rolled into a cone.

-sw
Old 27-05-2010, 03:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Wed, 26 May 2010 17:34:35 -0700, Don Martinich wrote:

I made a batch of guougeres the other day, and, since I don't own a
pastry bag, things got kind of messy. The dough is just too sticky. The
best I could do was to spoon it onto the baking pan. Does anyone have
good alternative to squeezing it out of a bag?
TIA

I cut a corner off of a ziplock bag and regular pastry tips fit in there
just fine.

You can also use parchment paper rolled into a cone.

-sw

I recommend the parchment cone hands down over the Ziploc bag. My
experience with tubes in plastic bags is pretty miserable -- and that's
with deviled egg filling. If you do use a plastic bag, Don, use a
freezer bag and use two, one inside the other, then cut the corner for
your pastry tip -- or without a pastry tip. JMO.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Old 28-05-2010, 01:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article

..uk,
Don Martinich wrote:

I made a batch of guougeres the other day, and, since I don't own a
pastry bag, things got kind of messy. The dough is just too sticky. The
best I could do was to spoon it onto the baking pan. Does anyone have
good alternative to squeezing it out of a bag?
TIA

D.M.

Thanks for all your answers. It's nice to see RFC at it's best.

D.M.
Old 28-05-2010, 01:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2010 17:29:58 -0700, Don Martinich
wrote:

..
Thanks for all your answers. It's nice to see RFC at it's best.

D.M.

I agree on seeing rfc at it's best. Nice to see some food talk.

Which method will you try?

Koko was the one who showed me about the ziplock baggie trick. I
didn't use a pastry tip then, but I have done so since. And actually,
the time I used a pastry tip, is for the exact same purpose you were
asking about....the piping of gougeres. They turned out well, using
that. I will try to find my pictures that I took, of the gougeres...

Christine
Old 28-05-2010, 01:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 May 2010 18:36:09 -0600, Christine Dabney
wrote:

I will try to find my pictures that I took, of the gougeres...

Christine

Okay, found my pictures.
This one is after I piped them out, with the ziplock baggie.
http://i50.tinypic.com/34i06t2.jpg

This one, after they came out of the oven.
http://i47.tinypic.com/n35g8z.jpg

Christine
Old 28-05-2010, 01:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 May 2010 17:34:35 -0700, Don Martinich wrote:

I made a batch of guougeres the other day, and, since I don't own a
pastry bag, things got kind of messy. The dough is just too sticky. The
best I could do was to spoon it onto the baking pan. Does anyone have
good alternative to squeezing it out of a bag? TIA

D.M.

Hello,
I use heavy freezer ziplock bags, fill 'em up, snip off the corner to
desired size and squeeze away, been doing it for years for filling
deviled eggs!

--
´╗┐regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
Old 29-05-2010, 01:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I will try to find my pictures that I took, of the gougeres...

Christine

Okay, found my pictures.
This one is after I piped them out, with the ziplock baggie.
http://i50.tinypic.com/34i06t2.jpg

This one, after they came out of the oven.
http://i47.tinypic.com/n35g8z.jpg

Christine

Thanks for the pix. They look very tasty. Is there any egg wash or
cheese on top?

BTW, if you make the dough with water instead of milk and use parmigiano
cheese in the dough and lots of butter, they make great gnocchi.

D.M.

Old 29-05-2010, 01:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 May 2010 17:13:03 -0700, Don Martinich
wrote:

Thanks for the pix. They look very tasty. Is there any egg wash or
cheese on top?

Ya know, I don't even remember now. I did those a few years ago, and
I probably did do an egg wash, but still..not sure. I do know that I
used an Anne Willan recipe...

BTW, if you make the dough with water instead of milk and use parmigiano
cheese in the dough and lots of butter, they make great gnocchi.

D.M.

Yes, I have heard that. Haven't tried it yet though..

Christine