Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Alternative moussaka

Some days ago I didn't have what it takes to make a moussaka, but I did
have the eggplants that needed to be used and some ground beef. My
recipe ended up something like this (for 2 people). It felt very fresh
and I'll do it again some time:

1-2 Sliced up eggplant, browned in olive oil. Put aside.

Meat sauce:
Slice 2 onions, saute in olive oil.
When they are soft, add the ground beef and 3-4 cloves of diced garlic,
sprinkle with salt, pepper, cumin, a little chili powder. Brown it about
5 minutes and then add about 10 halved cherry tomatoes. Take it off when
they have softened up a bit.

Meanwhile make the bechamel wannabe in a pot:

Melt some butter, stir in 1 spoonful of flour. When there are no lumps
add some (about 1 cup) of creme fraiche or sour cream. It will be a
little thick so you need to soften it up a bit with milk. Spice with
salt and nutmeg. When it was boiled 2 minutes and has the not too thick
texture, beat in 2 eggs.

Now assemble the moussaka in a deep dish: start with a layer of
eggplant, then all the meat sauce, then eggplants and finally the
bechamel wannabe.
Bake it 20 minutes at 400F/200C.
If you have it, you can slice tomatoes and put them on top and sprinkle
some grated cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen wrote:
> Some days ago I didn't have what it takes to make a moussaka, but I did
> have the eggplants that needed to be used and some ground beef. My
> recipe ended up something like this (for 2 people). It felt very fresh
> and I'll do it again some time:
>
> 1-2 Sliced up eggplant, browned in olive oil. Put aside.
>
> Meat sauce:
> Slice 2 onions, saute in olive oil.
> When they are soft, add the ground beef and 3-4 cloves of diced garlic,
> sprinkle with salt, pepper, cumin, a little chili powder. Brown it about
> 5 minutes and then add about 10 halved cherry tomatoes. Take it off when
> they have softened up a bit.
>
> Meanwhile make the bechamel wannabe in a pot:
>
> Melt some butter, stir in 1 spoonful of flour. When there are no lumps
> add some (about 1 cup) of creme fraiche or sour cream. It will be a
> little thick so you need to soften it up a bit with milk. Spice with
> salt and nutmeg. When it was boiled 2 minutes and has the not too thick
> texture, beat in 2 eggs.
>
> Now assemble the moussaka in a deep dish: start with a layer of
> eggplant, then all the meat sauce, then eggplants and finally the
> bechamel wannabe.
> Bake it 20 minutes at 400F/200C.
> If you have it, you can slice tomatoes and put them on top and sprinkle
> some grated cheese.

Looks good, but should't it have cinnamon instead of cumin? The chili
powder will have all the cumin you need.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 May 2006 09:14:14 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Looks good, but should't it have cinnamon instead of cumin? The chili
>powder will have all the cumin you need.

There's cumin in your chili powder? Go back and get a refund!

serene, cumin hater
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2006 09:14:14 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> Looks good, but should't it have cinnamon instead of cumin? The chili
>> powder will have all the cumin you need.

> There's cumin in your chili powder? Go back and get a refund!
>
> serene, cumin hater

Most "chili powder" has cumin in it. That's why I buy "ground chile (or
chili) peppers" instead. I can add my own oregano, garlic and cumin.

Best regards,
Bob <-- uses cumin *very* sparingly
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 May 2006 11:46:54 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Serene wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 May 2006 09:14:14 -0500, zxcvbob >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks good, but should't it have cinnamon instead of cumin? The chili
>>> powder will have all the cumin you need.

>> There's cumin in your chili powder? Go back and get a refund!
>>
>> serene, cumin hater

>Most "chili powder" has cumin in it. That's why I buy "ground chile (or
>chili) peppers" instead. I can add my own oregano, garlic and cumin.

The chili powder I buy is just that, powdered chilis. In fact, I have
a choice of which chilis I'm buying. A recent favorite is the ancho.
But I buy them in bulk at the local natural grocery, so maybe that's
the disconnect.

serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Serene wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 11 May 2006 09:14:14 -0500, zxcvbob >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks good, but should't it have cinnamon instead of cumin? The
>>> chili powder will have all the cumin you need.

>> There's cumin in your chili powder? Go back and get a refund!
>>
>> serene, cumin hater

> Most "chili powder" has cumin in it. That's why I buy "ground chile
> (or chili) peppers" instead. I can add my own oregano, garlic and cumin.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob <-- uses cumin *very* sparingly

Tell you what's good in the mince meat for moussaka - Chinese five
spice. Really.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 May 2006 16:16:50 +1000, Old Mother Ashby
> wrote:

>Tell you what's good in the mince meat for moussaka - Chinese five
>spice. Really.

Another one of those things that completely ruins things for me. I
can tell when anyone uses the tiniest bit of it, and it makes the
whole dish yucky. James finally threw ours out, because he kept
forgetting to leave it out of stuff he made for the two of us.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Most "chili powder" has cumin in it.

Not mine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Looks good, but should't it have cinnamon instead of cumin? The chili
> powder will have all the cumin you need.

I normally have cinnamon in it, but that is more "winterish" for me. The
cumin made it kinda fresher.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> Another one of those things that completely ruins things for me. I
> can tell when anyone uses the tiniest bit of it, and it makes the
> whole dish yucky. James finally threw ours out, because he kept
> forgetting to leave it out of stuff he made for the two of us.

I don't agree with you about the cumin, but I'm definitely there on
the 5-Spice. I bought some for a recipe, and it was so horrid! I
should throw mine out, too, or give it to someone who enjoys it.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

moussaka Ophelia[_7_] General Cooking 17 18-08-2009 06:57 PM
Moussaka zxcvbob General Cooking 27 26-06-2008 03:10 AM
Moussaka Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 09-01-2008 02:59 AM
Moussaka George Shirley Preserving 1 29-07-2007 03:43 AM