Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Burgers - what do you do?

Here's what we do - we fell in love with Bubba Burgers for a while -
store bought, frozen, nothing but beef and onions - the onions made them
very much to our liking.

We then decided to stick with grass-fed beef, so we started making our
own. First step was grass-feed ground beef from the local Whole Foods -
mix with grated onions (nothing fancy, just bag onions from the grocery
store - suggestions welcomed as to what else to try here) and they were
very good.

Then I got the idea, since our burgers were a little dry tasting, to mix
in some ground pork, also from the local Whole Foods. There seems to be
no such thing as grass-fed since pigs don't eat that way, but the Whole
Foods stuff is, well, along those lines - free of antibiotics, and I
frankly don't remember what all else it says on the wrapper.

Our current burger is either 1:1 or 2 parts beef, 1 part pork, plus
above-mentioned grated onion, and it's very good. We typically make a
few pounds worth and they keep well in the fridge as leftovers. No
seasoning at all added to the meat. We don't use a grill (long story)
but cook them on the stove in a frying pan, sometimes cast iron,
sometimes stainless steel, with a little bit of olive oil in the pan.

Typical consumption method here is: Trader Joe's French Bread Rolls -
cut in half, put a decent amount of raw milk, sharp cheddar on each
half, put in toaster over on 400 F for about 3 minutes until golden
brown. Put a burger between and eat - the kids add ketchup, we don't.
The cheese on the roll works much better than the cheese on the burger,
IMHO, because it gets all brown and bubbly and delicious.

Leftovers also work well as the basis for a quick Sloppy Joe (a thick
meat sauce eaten on a roll), also crumbled as taco/tortilla meat
filling.

So, try it if you like, comments if you like as well, especially a bit
of an education about onions and what I might try next to use my
burgers.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 12:22*pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> Here's what we do - we fell in love with Bubba Burgers for a while -
> store bought, frozen, nothing but beef and onions - the onions made them
> very much to our liking.
>
> We then decided to stick with grass-fed beef, so we started making our
> own. *First step was grass-feed ground beef from the local Whole Foods -
> mix with grated onions (nothing fancy, just bag onions from the grocery
> store - suggestions welcomed as to what else to try here) and they were
> very good.
>
> Then I got the idea, since our burgers were a little dry tasting, to mix
> in some ground pork, also from the local Whole Foods. *There seems to be
> no such thing as grass-fed since pigs don't eat that way, but the Whole
> Foods stuff is, well, along those lines - free of antibiotics, and I
> frankly don't remember what all else it says on the wrapper.
>
> Our current burger is either 1:1 or 2 parts beef, 1 part pork, plus
> above-mentioned grated onion, and it's very good. *We typically make a
> few pounds worth and they keep well in the fridge as leftovers. *No
> seasoning at all added to the meat. *We don't use a grill (long story)
> but cook them on the stove in a frying pan, sometimes cast iron,
> sometimes stainless steel, with a little bit of olive oil in the pan.
>
> Typical consumption method here is: Trader Joe's French Bread Rolls -
> cut in half, put a decent amount of raw milk, sharp cheddar on each
> half, put in toaster over on 400 F for about 3 minutes until golden
> brown. *Put a burger between and eat - the kids add ketchup, we don't.
> The cheese on the roll works much better than the cheese on the burger,
> IMHO, because it gets all brown and bubbly and delicious.
>
> Leftovers also work well as the basis for a quick Sloppy Joe (a thick
> meat sauce eaten on a roll), also crumbled as taco/tortilla meat
> filling.
>
> So, try it if you like, comments if you like as well, especially a bit
> of an education about onions and what I might try next to use my
> burgers.
>
> -S-

Regular feedlot ground chuck, salted and patted into burgers.
Grilled. Toasted Zingerman's Bakehouse onion roll, mayo,
tomato, lettuce, sliced raw onion, salt and pepper. DH
uses ketchup in place of the tomato, and adds a slice of
American cheese. Occasionally he also uses A-1.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 May 2010 10:11:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Regular feedlot ground chuck, salted and patted into burgers.
> Grilled. Toasted Zingerman's Bakehouse onion roll, mayo,
> tomato, lettuce, sliced raw onion, salt and pepper. DH
> uses ketchup in place of the tomato, and adds a slice of
> American cheese.

I'm your husband. I don't use store-bought (and most farmers
market) tomatoes. I use Rotel (not on burgers) and ketchup on those
occasions I need tomato products.

> Occasionally he also uses A-1.

I'm not your husband. Sometimes I use Heinz 57 (or rather, the
Heinz 57 clones you can buy at most Supermarkets)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Free-range ground beef on a good roll; with arugula (the thin
stuff, not the stuff with huge leaves), olive oil, and sea salt.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 2:06*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
> > On May 21, 12:22*pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> >> Here's what we do - we fell in love with Bubba Burgers for a while -
> >> store bought, frozen, nothing but beef and onions - the onions made

> them
> >> very much to our liking.

> >> We then decided to stick with grass-fed beef, so we started making our
> >> own. *First step was grass-feed ground beef from the local Whole Foods

> > -
> >> mix with grated onions (nothing fancy, just bag onions from the

> grocery
> >> store - suggestions welcomed as to what else to try here) and they

> were
> >> very good.

> >> Then I got the idea, since our burgers were a little dry tasting, to

> mix
> >> in some ground pork, also from the local Whole Foods. *There seems to

> >> no such thing as grass-fed since pigs don't eat that way, but the

> Whole
> >> Foods stuff is, well, along those lines - free of antibiotics, and I
> >> frankly don't remember what all else it says on the wrapper.

> >> Our current burger is either 1:1 or 2 parts beef, 1 part pork, plus
> >> above-mentioned grated onion, and it's very good. *We typically make a
> >> few pounds worth and they keep well in the fridge as leftovers. *No
> >> seasoning at all added to the meat. *We don't use a grill (long story)
> >> but cook them on the stove in a frying pan, sometimes cast iron,
> >> sometimes stainless steel, with a little bit of olive oil in the pan.

> >> Typical consumption method here is: Trader Joe's French Bread Rolls -
> >> cut in half, put a decent amount of raw milk, sharp cheddar on each
> >> half, put in toaster over on 400 F for about 3 minutes until golden
> >> brown. *Put a burger between and eat - the kids add ketchup, we don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> I'm a big fan of buffalo burgers.

> Now I get the "Carmen Creek" box of frozen buffalo burgers at Whole
> Foods. If interested, ring up your store and ask the butcher first.
> They just don't farm as much buffalo in this world as fast as they do
> steer and I've left empty handed many times.

I've always stayed away from buffalo because I heard it was very lean,
and I generally don't like that. I'll have to give them a try as I shop
at my local Whole Foods all the time because it's only a walk (about a
mile) away.

> The T.J. boxed frozen buffalo burgers are grain fed. There's a
> package of supermarket "fresh" ground buffalo (in a square tray),
> also grain fed. What does grain fed buffalo taste like? Like ordinary
> beef! If you blind tasted grain fed buffalo you'd guess beef!!!

> Bubba burgers ARE good and I'll doctor them up in an endless variety
> of ways.

Our homemade Bubbas are _better_.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Regular feedlot ground chuck, salted and patted into burgers.
> Grilled. Toasted Zingerman's Bakehouse onion roll, mayo,
> tomato, lettuce, sliced raw onion, salt and pepper. DH
> uses ketchup in place of the tomato, and adds a slice of
> American cheese.

2-3 large sweet onions, sliced, caramelized and set aside.
14 ounce patties made from home ground top round, pan fried medium
rare. Reheat onions to deglaze pan. Serve on Portuguese rolls, or
Krusty Kiaser, or toasted onion rolls heaped HIGH with onions, a
little Heinz red... s n'p to taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>
>>> I'm a big fan of buffalo burgers.

>>> Now I get the "Carmen Creek" box of frozen buffalo burgers at Whole
>>> Foods. If interested, ring up your store and ask the butcher first.
>>> They just don't farm as much buffalo in this world as fast as they
>>> do steer and I've left empty handed many times.
>>>

>> I've always stayed away from buffalo because I heard it was very
>> lean, and I generally don't like that. I'll have to give them a try
>> as I shop at my local Whole Foods all the time because it's only a
>> walk (about a mile) away.
>>
>>> The T.J. boxed frozen buffalo burgers are grain fed. There's a
>>> package of supermarket "fresh" ground buffalo (in a square tray),
>>> also grain fed. What does grain fed buffalo taste like? Like
>>> ordinary beef! If you blind tasted grain fed buffalo you'd guess
>>> beef!!!

>>> Bubba burgers ARE good and I'll doctor them up in an endless variety
>>> of ways.

>> Our homemade Bubbas are _better_.
>>
>> -S-

> -S-
>
> My methods aren't very well approved by most of the rfc membership.
>
> Buffalo IS lean but if you cook them to bloody rare they're
> astonishingly juicy and delicious!!!
>
> Take a sturdy paper plate. Put an eight-ply dinner napkin in the
> plate. Open along the hinge and drop in a "Carmen Creek" frozen
> buffalo burger. Recover with the other half napkin and place another
> paper plate on top. Looks like a flying saucer.
>
> Cook on high (1,100 watt microwave) for 50 seconds. Beeo-Beep-Beep.
>
> Hold top and bottom plates tight and flip. Re-nuke for another 50
> seconds. Beep-Beep-Beep
>
> Put that inside a bun and enjoy bloody rare buffalo!!!
>
> Try at least ONE plain!!!
>
> I can understand people's food fears when it comes to meat
> contamination. I wouldn't do it with store bought beef.
>
> Like I said earlier, I've been eating bloody rare buffalo for years
> and haven't missed a day of work OR rfc. LOLOL!!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

I use the microwave but as little as possible, e.g., I don't cook my
burgers in it, but I'll reheat them that way. There is evidence to
suggest that overcooking foods in the microwave - which does happen -
produces bad-for-you things in the food - but, anyway, it makes most
food taste like rubber.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 May 2010 12:22:32 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

>Our current burger is either 1:1 or 2 parts beef, 1 part pork....

Guess you don't cook them medium-rare!

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 1:06*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
> > On May 21, 12:22*pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> >> Here's what we do - we fell in love with Bubba Burgers for a while -
> >> store bought, frozen, nothing but beef and onions - the onions made

> them
> >> very much to our liking.

> >> We then decided to stick with grass-fed beef, so we started making our
> >> own. *First step was grass-feed ground beef from the local Whole Foods

> > -
> >> mix with grated onions (nothing fancy, just bag onions from the

> grocery
> >> store - suggestions welcomed as to what else to try here) and they

> were
> >> very good.

> >> Then I got the idea, since our burgers were a little dry tasting, to

> mix
> >> in some ground pork, also from the local Whole Foods. *There seems to

> >> no such thing as grass-fed since pigs don't eat that way, but the

> Whole
> >> Foods stuff is, well, along those lines - free of antibiotics, and I
> >> frankly don't remember what all else it says on the wrapper.

> >> Our current burger is either 1:1 or 2 parts beef, 1 part pork, plus
> >> above-mentioned grated onion, and it's very good. *We typically make a
> >> few pounds worth and they keep well in the fridge as leftovers. *No
> >> seasoning at all added to the meat. *We don't use a grill (long story)
> >> but cook them on the stove in a frying pan, sometimes cast iron,
> >> sometimes stainless steel, with a little bit of olive oil in the pan.

> >> Typical consumption method here is: Trader Joe's French Bread Rolls -
> >> cut in half, put a decent amount of raw milk, sharp cheddar on each
> >> half, put in toaster over on 400 F for about 3 minutes until golden
> >> brown. *Put a burger between and eat - the kids add ketchup, we don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pltrgyst wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2010 12:22:32 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>> Our current burger is either 1:1 or 2 parts beef, 1 part pork....

> Guess you don't cook them medium-rare!
>
> -- Larry

Only when it's kangaroo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy > writes:

> Food SnobĀ® > wrote:
>
>>> I never (on rare occasions) doctor them up as the flavor of the meat

> is
>>> too unique and tasty to tamper with.

>> I pretty much figure that the same applies to all reasonable quality
>> ground beef.

> Bryan,
>
> There was a time, way back in my youth, yours too, no doubt, that raw
> ground beef actually tasted great and to us, didn't need cooking!
>
> Those WERE the days!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Fanciful memories.

It was sunny every day then too I bet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 5:17*pm, heyjoe > wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2010 12:22:32 -0400, Steve Freides wrote:
> > We then decided to stick with grass-fed beef, so we started making our
> > own. *First step was grass-feed ground beef from the local Whole Foods -
> > mix with grated onions (nothing fancy, just bag onions from the grocery
> > store - suggestions welcomed as to what else to try here) and they were
> > very good.

> > Then I got the idea, since our burgers were a little dry tasting, to mix
> > in some ground pork, also from the local Whole Foods.

> I'm surprised no one has mentioned adding a panade to your burger mix.
> Helps keeps the burger moist and does a bit of binding at the same time.
> Haven't made meat only burgers for years and get moist, juicy burgers, even
> when cooked to USDA approved temps for hamburgers (160 °F).

That's not a hamburger. It's a hamburger shaped meat loaf.

> --
> Posting from groups.google.com orwww.foodbanter.comor other web-forums
> dramatically reduces the chance of your post being read.
> Use the real usenet!

Go f*%$ yourself.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve Freides" > wrote:

> Here's what we do - we fell in love with Bubba Burgers for a while -
> store bought, frozen, nothing but beef and onions - the onions made them
> very much to our liking.

For a quick and healthy burger, I use Trader Joe's buffalo burgers. They
are very affordable, a decent size, and they cook up easily in a pan
with a bit of olive oil. I just put them on a hamburger roll with some
Heinz ketchup and a slice of tomato if I have any on hand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 7:48*am, Bogbrush > wrote:
> Andy > writes:

> > is

> >> I pretty much figure that the same applies to all reasonable quality
> >> ground beef.

> > Bryan,

> > There was a time, way back in my youth, yours too, no doubt, that raw
> > ground beef actually tasted great and to us, didn't need cooking!

> > Those WERE the days!

> > Best,

> > Andy

> Fanciful memories.
>
> It was sunny every day then too I bet.

It still tastes good.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz > writes:

> In article >,
> "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>
>> Here's what we do - we fell in love with Bubba Burgers for a while -
>> store bought, frozen, nothing but beef and onions - the onions made them
>> very much to our liking.

> For a quick and healthy burger, I use Trader Joe's buffalo burgers. They
> are very affordable, a decent size, and they cook up easily in a pan
> with a bit of olive oil. I just put them on a hamburger roll with some
> Heinz ketchup and a slice of tomato if I have any on hand.

Amazing recipe ....

Thanks for sharing.

ROTLM.

ps, cooking burgers with olive oil is like painting your toilet wall
with nail varnish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 May 2010 14:48:05 +0200, Bogbrush >
wrote:

> Andy > writes:
>

> > There was a time, way back in my youth, yours too, no doubt, that raw
> > ground beef actually tasted great and to us, didn't need cooking!
> >
> > Those WERE the days!
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Andy

> Fanciful memories.
>
> It was sunny every day then too I bet.

I guess you're too young to remember the poor man's steak tartare.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 4:14*pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> > I'm a big fan of buffalo burgers.
> > Now I get the "Carmen Creek" box of frozen buffalo burgers at Whole
> > Foods. If interested, ring up your store and ask the butcher first.
> > They just don't farm as much buffalo in this world as fast as they do
> > steer and I've left empty handed many times.

> I've always stayed away from buffalo because I heard it was very lean,
> and I generally don't like that. *

You can add butter to your ground buffalo mix.

<snip>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 May 2010 16:30:07 GMT, l, not -l wrote:

> Ground chuck, loosely formed into a 4 oz., half-inch thick patty, salt and
> pepper both sides. Preheat cast-iron grill pan, on high heat, place
> patties and quarter-inch thick onion slices on grill; flip after about 4
> minutes and cook on second side until medium rare and onions soft. Serve
> on toasted bun, with the onions, relish and whole grain or horseradish
> mustard.

wait, i'm confused. the second side cooks with the onion slice between the
patty and the pan? or is the onion grilling separate?

your pal,
blake

Best Burgers 2007. Was: Red Robin Burgers Andy[_2_] General Cooking 15 27-05-2007 02:45 AM
Burgers Sheldon General Cooking 167 24-04-2007 06:41 PM
Burgers From a Lab? Scented Nectar Vegan 141 30-07-2005 06:48 AM
Burgers Break Apart - How to grill burgers Pavel Barbecue 25 04-07-2004 06:59 PM