Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Airline chicken

Tried a new restaurant in town. I was not familiar with one item on the
menu.

My dinner of Airline Chicken came with a risotto with
strawberries and toasted filberts in it. Below is some information on what
that cut of poultry is.

Airline chicken
Airline chicken can be several things, depending upon who you talk to. It
can be a fancy cut, a special presentation, or a negative appelation
directed at inflight foodservice. The airline connection? Again, several
theories. These range from practical (chicken travels well, this cut of
chicken fits neatly into an airline tray/dish compartments) to artistic (it
looks like it's about to take off).

Culinary professionals generally agree modern "Airline Chicken" descends
from traditional European cuts. Most notably "Hotel Cut," "French Cut," and
"Supreme." The airline version leaves the meat on the first joint of the
wing. Traditional European cuts are bone only. All version are skin-on.

According to the National Chicken Council "The term "airline chicken breast"
first became popular in the 1960s when major commercial airlines included
full service meals on air flights that were of sufficient length/time to
serve such meals. Airlines required a relatively small breast portion for a
number of reasons and kept part of the wing on to give a presentation that
made the serving portion appear to be bigger than it actually was and also
to give it a certain differentiation from the non-airline breast. It was and
still is a relatively costly product. My guess is a chef on PanAm or similar
top airline developed the concept and other airlines quickly followed. Few,
if any, domestic airlines still have "meals" that include "airline chicken
breasts." Some caterers have this type of product for special occasion
events. The Council adds: "The term "airline chicken" goes back a long way.
It used to be called a "hotel cut.""

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 May 2010 22:48:22 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:

> Tried a new restaurant in town. I was not familiar with one item on the
> menu.
>
> My dinner of Airline Chicken came with a risotto with
> strawberries and toasted filberts in it. Below is some information on what
> that cut of poultry is.
>
> Airline chicken
> Airline chicken can be several things, depending upon who you talk to.

<snip>

Hopefully it tasted better than chicken you'd get on an airline.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message ...
| On Sun, 16 May 2010 22:48:22 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
| > wrote:
|
| > Tried a new restaurant in town. I was not familiar with one item on the
| > menu.
| >
| > My dinner of Airline Chicken came with a risotto with
| > strawberries and toasted filberts in it. Below is some information on what
| > that cut of poultry is.
| >
| > Airline chicken
| > Airline chicken can be several things, depending upon who you talk to.
|
| <snip>
|
| Hopefully it tasted better than chicken you'd get on an airline.

Some of the better chicken I have ever had were the cornish
game hens on Canadian Pacific Airlines in the 1970's. That was
an airline that cared about its food. Ah, nostalgia.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 May 2010 23:58:53 -0400, "pavane"
> wrote:

> Some of the better chicken I have ever had were the cornish
> game hens on Canadian Pacific Airlines in the 1970's. That was
> an airline that cared about its food. Ah, nostalgia.

Overall, Air Canada is still pretty good. Can't say the food in
Economy class is anything to write home about though.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message ...
| On Sun, 16 May 2010 23:58:53 -0400, "pavane"
| > wrote:
|
| > Some of the better chicken I have ever had were the cornish
| > game hens on Canadian Pacific Airlines in the 1970's. That was
| > an airline that cared about its food. Ah, nostalgia.
|
| Overall, Air Canada is still pretty good. Can't say the food in
| Economy class is anything to write home about though.

Glad to hear it is at least pretty good. I really loved both airlines
but CP Air ended all its meals with a wedge of Black Diamond and
a buttery cracker. One of the world's great taste combinations.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> Overall, Air Canada is still pretty good.

Compared to what? McDonald's?

> Can't say the food in
> Economy class is anything to write home about though.

If they had any, it might not be anything to write home about.
Nowadays, airlines serve snacks, mostly small cheese trays or
peanuts, which I cannot digest.

The last time I ate what I would consider a meal on a means of
conveyance was when my daughter and I went from London (Ontario) to
Toronto first class. That was a long time ago.

--

"When a government starts to cancel dissent or avoid dissent
is frankly when it's rapidly losing its moral authority to

Stephen Harper, 18 April 2005
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 May 2010 22:48:22 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Tried a new restaurant in town. I was not familiar with one item on the
> menu.
>
> My dinner of Airline Chicken

I mentioned this here a few years ago when they sold them at costco.
They are simply a chicken breast with the first section of wing
attached.

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/browse_frm/thread/b19685b0ee447363/53a8607810d3edd4?hl=en&tvc=1&q="airline+chicken"+g roup%3Arec.food.cooking#53a8607810d3edd4>

I could have sworn the manufacturers name was "Cuisine Creations",
but I don't see that out there on the Web.

It was the same company that was started by one of the initial
founders or teachers of sous vide cooking, IIRC. This is one of
their first sous vide prepared entrees they packaged.

Where's Kent when you need him?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On May 16, 7:48 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
[snip]
> According to the National Chicken Council "The term "airline chicken breast"
> first became popular in the 1960s when major commercial airlines included
> full service meals on air flights that were of sufficient length/time to
> serve such meals. Airlines required a relatively small breast portion for a
> number of reasons and kept part of the wing on .... [snip]

When I carve a roast chicken I sometimes do this. Once I served it to
a friend who had never seen it and she exclaimed, "Cool! How did you
attach the wing to the breast?!" Anatomical discussion followed. It
was fun but I was once again surprised at how unconnected some people
are from the food they eat. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2010 12:20 PM, aem wrote:
> When I carve a roast chicken I sometimes do this. Once I served it to
> a friend who had never seen it and she exclaimed, "Cool! How did you
> attach the wing to the breast?!" Anatomical discussion followed. It
> was fun but I was once again surprised at how unconnected some people
> are from the food they eat. -aem

Next time, impress her again, serve a drumstick with a thigh attached. ;-)

Becca

Chicken and Spinach Parmesan

2 cups diced cooked chicken
10 ounces frozen spinach, drained well
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt, to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 ounces freshly grated parmesan cheese, about 3/4 cup
1 ounce mozzarella cheese, shredded, about 1/4 cup

Arrange the chicken and spinach in a greased 8x8" baking dish. Mix the
remaining ingredients and spread over the chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 350º
for 40 minutes or until the top is nicely browned. Don't skimp on the
baking. The topping needs to be quite brown for good flavor.
Makes 4 servings

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> When I carve a roast chicken I sometimes do this. Once I served it to
> a friend who had never seen it and she exclaimed, "Cool! How did you
> attach the wing to the breast?!" Anatomical discussion followed. It
> was fun but I was once again surprised at how unconnected some people
> are from the food they eat. -aem

This would be a good topic for a youtube video.
"We stick the end of the wing in boiling hot
unflavored clear Jello, count off thirty seconds,
then press it firmly against the breast portion and
hold it there until it cools down to slightly warm."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I just got the news that my flight between Newark and Tel Aviv (5/19)
has been upgraded to first class. Hope they have some of that chicken.
It sounds yummy.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 May 2010 16:40:14 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I just got the news that my flight between Newark and Tel Aviv (5/19)
> has been upgraded to first class. Hope they have some of that chicken.
> It sounds yummy.

How did that happen? Frequent Flier miles?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2010 6:39 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2010 16:40:14 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> I just got the news that my flight between Newark and Tel Aviv (5/19)
>> has been upgraded to first class. Hope they have some of that chicken.
>> It sounds yummy.

> How did that happen? Frequent Flier miles?

Yes miles plus a fee. Wouldn't ordinarily do it, but it's a long flight
and I deserve a little pampering.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2010 10:45:28 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> On 5/17/2010 6:39 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 May 2010 16:40:14 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I just got the news that my flight between Newark and Tel Aviv (5/19)
> >> has been upgraded to first class. Hope they have some of that chicken.
> >> It sounds yummy.

> > How did that happen? Frequent Flier miles?
> >

> Yes miles plus a fee.

Thanks, just wondered how it's done.

>Wouldn't ordinarily do it, but it's a long flight
> and I deserve a little pampering.

I often look at first class as I walk by and think 13-17 hours of
luxury would be nice. Are your seats those cocoons I've seen? What I
really want is a way to elevate my feet/legs. If they'd just put
those foot rests, like you'd have on a bus, into long haul economy I'd
be happy.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2010 2:29 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 18 May 2010 10:45:28 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> On 5/17/2010 6:39 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Mon, 17 May 2010 16:40:14 -0500, Janet Wilder

>>> How did that happen? Frequent Flier miles?
>>>

>> Yes miles plus a fee.

> Thanks, just wondered how it's done.
>
>> Wouldn't ordinarily do it, but it's a long flight
>> and I deserve a little pampering.

> I often look at first class as I walk by and think 13-17 hours of
> luxury would be nice. Are your seats those cocoons I've seen? What I
> really want is a way to elevate my feet/legs. If they'd just put
> those foot rests, like you'd have on a bus, into long haul economy I'd
> be happy.

I don't know if they are cocoons, but they do recline and have little
hoods on top. At least that's what I saw in the photos. Last time I
traveled first class was in the 80's

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Airline chicken Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 20 18-09-2012 09:19 PM
Airline take-on box? Michael Horowitz General Cooking 150 08-12-2009 11:48 PM
Airline food Curly Sue General Cooking 20 25-06-2005 04:13 PM
Airline food Dimitri General Cooking 0 13-01-2005 06:20 PM
Airline food Dimitri General Cooking 0 13-01-2005 06:20 PM