Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default "Must dine" eateries in (eastern) Texas

Well, as the topic line says about Eastern Texas, I'd like to learn
about some 'must dine' eateries in the DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston
& Corpus Christi areas and points in between - with emphasis in Corpus
Christi. Spouse and I will soon drive/travel south from Illinois to
Corpus Christi (CC) where we'll stay a few days for DS's "wedding" and
more. (AND, if folks can recommend an 'economical' place to stay in CC
in a reasonable, I'd like to learn about that, too!)

OH oh(!), it'd be nice to learn about other 'must dine' eateries in the
other states along the way south to CC - those being Missouri, Oklahoma,
and even Arkansas With the exception of CC, preference will be for
eateries nearby the main interstates since we're only driving through
and won't have much time (hey, it's a 1200-1300 mile trip - double that
for round-trip! It's possible we might even drive through OKC and
Tulsa, or even McAlister, too. Thanks ever so much !!

Sky, who avoids driving at night if possible

P.S. Suggestions for other 'must sees' along the way would be greatly
appreciated, too! TIA

P.P.S. If we "detour" through OKC, it's so I can visit the "Memorial"
there.

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> Well, as the topic line says about Eastern Texas, I'd like to learn
> about some 'must dine' eateries in the DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston
> & Corpus Christi areas and points in between - with emphasis in Corpus
> Christi. Spouse and I will soon drive/travel south from Illinois to
> Corpus Christi (CC) where we'll stay a few days for DS's "wedding" and
> more. (AND, if folks can recommend an 'economical' place to stay in CC
> in a reasonable, I'd like to learn about that, too!)

Christie's (in Houston.) I think the one on S. Main St. has closed,
but there's still one on Westheimer near the Galleria. Order the soft
shelled crab. <http://5z8.info/kkk_h4m7k_open_exe_begin_transfer>

And if you end up anywhere near Temple, TX, stop by Green's Sausage
House in Zabcikville and get a bunch of fresh kolaches, and some
sausage sticks for the road. The kolaches are the best I've ever
eaten anywhere. <http://5z8.info/worm_w2d4y_the-most-dangerous-game>

HTH, :-)
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

zxcvbob wrote:

> Sky wrote:
> > Well, as the topic line says about Eastern Texas, I'd like to learn
> > about some 'must dine' eateries in the DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston
> > & Corpus Christi areas and points in between - with emphasis in Corpus
> > Christi. Spouse and I will soon drive/travel south from Illinois to
> > Corpus Christi (CC) where we'll stay a few days for DS's "wedding" and
> > more. (AND, if folks can recommend an 'economical' place to stay in CC
> > in a reasonable, I'd like to learn about that, too!)

> Christie's (in Houston.) I think the one on S. Main St. has closed,
> but there's still one on Westheimer near the Galleria. Order the soft
> shelled crab. <http://5z8.info/kkk_h4m7k_open_exe_begin_transfer>
>
> And if you end up anywhere near Temple, TX, stop by Green's Sausage
> House in Zabcikville and get a bunch of fresh kolaches, and some
> sausage sticks for the road. The kolaches are the best I've ever
> eaten anywhere. <http://5z8.info/worm_w2d4y_the-most-dangerous-game>
>
> HTH, :-)
> Bob

Thanks ever so much, Bob. The links you've provided are ever so
helpful, and I've saved them for future reference when/if needed.
Christie's on Westheimer near the Galleria would be very close to the
"West 610 Loop" isn't it? Alas, I don't believe Spouse and I'll get
that close "in town" since we'll go the "outside" from N. Houston
towards FM 1960 and Katy or more ? We just might get close to Bellaire
& Hwy 6, but that's a 'big if'. I used to live in Houston (a few
decades & lifetimes ago), and I remember one of my favorite places was a
greek restaurant/oyster bar (?), "Papa....." something or another, off
of the SW Freeway not far from Bellaire or Bissonnet (sp?) or Fondren,
but I forget the details. I imagine it's gone the wayside?

I have printed the information you've given to take on our journey, just
in case. Thanks again for the recommendations

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2010 5:35 PM, Sky wrote:
> Well, as the topic line says about Eastern Texas, I'd like to learn
> about some 'must dine' eateries in the DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston
> & Corpus Christi areas and points in between - with emphasis in Corpus
> Christi. Spouse and I will soon drive/travel south from Illinois to
> Corpus Christi (CC) where we'll stay a few days for DS's "wedding" and
> more. (AND, if folks can recommend an 'economical' place to stay in CC
> in a reasonable, I'd like to learn about that, too!)
>
> OH oh(!), it'd be nice to learn about other 'must dine' eateries in the
> other states along the way south to CC - those being Missouri, Oklahoma,
> and even Arkansas With the exception of CC, preference will be for
> eateries nearby the main interstates since we're only driving through
> and won't have much time (hey, it's a 1200-1300 mile trip - double that
> for round-trip! It's possible we might even drive through OKC and
> Tulsa, or even McAlister, too. Thanks ever so much !!
>
> Sky, who avoids driving at night if possible
>
> P.S. Suggestions for other 'must sees' along the way would be greatly
> appreciated, too! TIA
>
> P.P.S. If we "detour" through OKC, it's so I can visit the "Memorial"
> there.

This restaurant, http://www.yardarmrestaurant.com/ was good thirty years
ago when we lived there and, by the latest reviews, still is. It sits on
the waterfront on Ocean Drive and is fairly handy to many of the hotels
there.

If you get the chance go see the aquarium, it is really good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Sky wrote:
>>> Well, as the topic line says about Eastern Texas, I'd like to learn
>>> about some 'must dine' eateries in the DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston
>>> & Corpus Christi areas and points in between - with emphasis in Corpus
>>> Christi. Spouse and I will soon drive/travel south from Illinois to
>>> Corpus Christi (CC) where we'll stay a few days for DS's "wedding" and
>>> more. (AND, if folks can recommend an 'economical' place to stay in CC
>>> in a reasonable, I'd like to learn about that, too!)

>> Christie's (in Houston.) I think the one on S. Main St. has closed,
>> but there's still one on Westheimer near the Galleria. Order the soft
>> shelled crab. <http://5z8.info/kkk_h4m7k_open_exe_begin_transfer>
>>
>> And if you end up anywhere near Temple, TX, stop by Green's Sausage
>> House in Zabcikville and get a bunch of fresh kolaches, and some
>> sausage sticks for the road. The kolaches are the best I've ever
>> eaten anywhere. <http://5z8.info/worm_w2d4y_the-most-dangerous-game>
>>
>> HTH, :-)
>> Bob

> Thanks ever so much, Bob. The links you've provided are ever so
> helpful, and I've saved them for future reference when/if needed.
> Christie's on Westheimer near the Galleria would be very close to the
> "West 610 Loop" isn't it? Alas, I don't believe Spouse and I'll get
> that close "in town" since we'll go the "outside" from N. Houston
> towards FM 1960 and Katy or more ? We just might get close to Bellaire
> & Hwy 6, but that's a 'big if'. I used to live in Houston (a few
> decades & lifetimes ago), and I remember one of my favorite places was a
> greek restaurant/oyster bar (?), "Papa....." something or another, off
> of the SW Freeway not far from Bellaire or Bissonnet (sp?) or Fondren,
> but I forget the details. I imagine it's gone the wayside?
>
> I have printed the information you've given to take on our journey, just
> in case. Thanks again for the recommendations
>
> Sky

There's a Pappa's restaurant on US-59 about 1/4 mile north of
FM-1960. It's not as good as Christie's but it's pretty close. Be
warned that each dinner is almost enough for 2 people. You probably
don't want to order a full entree for each of you. (There are lots
of other Pappas locations.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

zxcvbob wrote:

> Sky wrote:
> >
> > I used to live in Houston (a few
> > decades & lifetimes ago), and I remember one of my favorite places was a
> > greek restaurant/oyster bar (?), "Papa....." something or another, off
> > of the SW Freeway not far from Bellaire or Bissonnet (sp?) or Fondren,
> > but I forget the details. I imagine it's gone the wayside?
> >

> There's a Pappa's restaurant on US-59 about 1/4 mile north of
> FM-1960. It's not as good as Christie's but it's pretty close. Be
> warned that each dinner is almost enough for 2 people. You probably
> don't want to order a full entree for each of you. (There are lots
> of other Pappas locations.)

That's the name!!!! Pappas!!! Thanks so much There were/are a few of
those around the Houston area. Although, at this point in time with
that HYOOGE "BP" FIASCO in the Gulf of Mexico, I'm not sure a visit to
Pappas for some raw and/or steamed oysters (or other Gulf seafood, for
that matter) would be a good idea ??? What about Tex-Mex places instead
???

Sky, who foolishly didn't like raw oysters back in those days

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
> >
> > Sky wrote:
> > >
> > > I used to live in Houston (a few
> > > decades & lifetimes ago), and I remember one of my favorite places was a
> > > greek restaurant/oyster bar (?), "Papa....." something or another, off
> > > of the SW Freeway not far from Bellaire or Bissonnet (sp?) or Fondren,
> > > but I forget the details. I imagine it's gone the wayside?
> > >

> > There's a Pappa's restaurant on US-59 about 1/4 mile north of
> > FM-1960. It's not as good as Christie's but it's pretty close. Be
> > warned that each dinner is almost enough for 2 people. You probably
> > don't want to order a full entree for each of you. (There are lots
> > of other Pappas locations.)

> That's the name!!!! Pappas!!! Thanks so much There were/are a few of
> those around the Houston area. Although, at this point in time with
> that HYOOGE "BP" FIASCO in the Gulf of Mexico, I'm not sure a visit to
> Pappas for some raw and/or steamed oysters (or other Gulf seafood, for
> that matter) would be a good idea ??? What about Tex-Mex places instead

What on earth makes you think that the current oil leak has any effect
on current gulf oyster stocks, will have any effect on gulf oyster
stocks in the near term, or that the oysters you would be getting at a
large chain restaurant (Papas's is a very large group) would be local
gulf oysters anyway?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Pete C. wrote:

> What on earth makes you think that the current oil leak has any effect
> on current gulf oyster stocks, will have any effect on gulf oyster
> stocks in the near term, or that the oysters you would be getting at a
> large chain restaurant (Papas's is a very large group) would be local
> gulf oysters anyway?

Simple economics, eh?! Supply & Demand -- the Supply of "fresh" seafood
from the Gulf of Mexico will very soon end and become, if not already,
nil or very nearly so (

Sky, who is no economist

P.S. I have to wonder what sort of 'news' Pete C reads, hears or
watches ?!!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 May 2010 17:35:48 -0500, Sky wrote:

> Well, as the topic line says about Eastern Texas, I'd like to learn
> about some 'must dine' eateries in the DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston
> & Corpus Christi areas and points in between - with emphasis in Corpus
> Christi.

You really have to narrow it down to some sort of cuisine. When you
get close to Austin, call me and let me know what you're in the mood
for and I'll tell you where to go and maybe even meat you there.

Err, _meet_ you there. But no vegetarian, please!

See? It happens to all of us peaches!

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 May 2010 21:30:20 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

> What on earth makes you think that the current oil leak has any effect
> on current gulf oyster stocks, will have any effect on gulf oyster
> stocks in the near term, or that the oysters you would be getting at a
> large chain restaurant (Papas's is a very large group) would be local
> gulf oysters anyway?

Uh, maybe because it's a very real problem that has been mentioned
all over the news? The price of Gulf Shrimp has already gone up
150%.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 May 2010 22:46:22 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> See? It happens to all of us peaches!

Or is it peeches? Now I don't even know how to spell it, dammit!

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 03 May 2010 17:35:48 -0500, Sky wrote:
>
> > Well, as the topic line says about Eastern Texas, I'd like to learn
> > about some 'must dine' eateries in the DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston
> > & Corpus Christi areas and points in between - with emphasis in Corpus
> > Christi.

> You really have to narrow it down to some sort of cuisine. When you
> get close to Austin, call me and let me know what you're in the mood
> for and I'll tell you where to go and maybe even meat you there.
>
> Err, _meet_ you there. But no vegetarian, please!
>
> See? It happens to all of us peaches!
>
> -sw

Perhaps it's easier to say no Asian, Arabian, European, N. & S.
American, African, Antartican or anything like that if it includes
cooked veggies (well, that just depends!!!!)? No fast food, no Waffle
Houses (IHOPs aren't so bad) & anything immediately off the exits,
unless the 'eatery' is truly unique and worthwhile?! Does that limit
the options Steaks & potatoes are great! BBQ, very good Tex-Mex and
true Mexican (no beans BTW), and 'regular' diners are good, too
Thing is, distance from the main route(s) is a constraint. IOW, time is
limited. Gotta get to CCTX quickly for the trip south - heading back
north has no deadline - and I'm not sure which route is first - I intend
to take two different "legs," and one of those might be through
Houston/Katy and the other via SA & Austin - but that's not a given.
Nothing is set in stone, yet.

Sky, who treasures any chance to travel

P.S. If it's green & cooked, I won't eat it <VBG>! er, except maybe
artichokes :>>

P.P.S. Sausage biscuits for breakfast don't count, but they are cheap &
not so bad <G> !!!!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> Perhaps it's easier to say no Asian, Arabian, European, N. & S.
> American, African, Antartican or anything like that if it includes
> cooked veggies (well, that just depends!!!!)? No fast food, no Waffle
> Houses (IHOPs aren't so bad) & anything immediately off the exits,
> unless the 'eatery' is truly unique and worthwhile?! Does that limit
> the options Steaks & potatoes are great! BBQ, very good Tex-Mex and
> true Mexican (no beans BTW), and 'regular' diners are good, too
> Thing is, distance from the main route(s) is a constraint. IOW, time is
> limited. Gotta get to CCTX quickly for the trip south - heading back
> north has no deadline - and I'm not sure which route is first - I intend
> to take two different "legs," and one of those might be through
> Houston/Katy and the other via SA & Austin - but that's not a given.
> Nothing is set in stone, yet.
>
> Sky, who treasures any chance to travel
>
> P.S. If it's green & cooked, I won't eat it <VBG>! er, except maybe
> artichokes :>>
>
> P.P.S. Sausage biscuits for breakfast don't count, but they are cheap &
> not so bad <G> !!!!

Somewhere in the hill country south of Austin, you really should
find a local barbecue joint and get the brisket and sausage combo
plate. (if you really like smoke, the most intense barbecue on the
menu will be the "burnt ends" sandwich)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Andy wrote:

> One google search trick is "tex mex restaurants in San Antonio, TX" or
> "italian restaurants in Corpus Cristy, TX", etc., etc. No reviews but
> might help. No quotes required.

"Googling" is no substitute for a first-hand recommendation by someone
who knows & has been there in person.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 May 2010 23:38:10 -0500, Sky wrote:

> Perhaps it's easier to say no Asian, Arabian, European, N. & S.
> American, African, Antartican

Soo.. no cuisines that begin with "A". You don't like Asian food?
Uh-oh. We won't get along well.

> or anything like that if it includes
> cooked veggies (well, that just depends!!!!)?

You don't eat _any_ cooked vegetables?

> No fast food, no Waffle
> Houses (IHOPs aren't so bad) & anything immediately off the exits,
> unless the 'eatery' is truly unique and worthwhile?! Does that limit
> the options Steaks & potatoes are great! BBQ, very good Tex-Mex and
> true Mexican (no beans BTW), and 'regular' diners are good, too
> Thing is, distance from the main route(s) is a constraint. IOW, time is
> limited.

OK, Iron Works BBQ is a block west of I35 in Downtown Austin.
Cesar Chavez exit. This is where I take all the Internet people who
come through Austin and everybody has come back for more of me (and
the ribs ;-)

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 May 2010 23:48:59 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

> Somewhere in the hill country south of Austin, you really should
> find a local barbecue joint and get the brisket and sausage combo
> plate. (if you really like smoke, the most intense barbecue on the
> menu will be the "burnt ends" sandwich)

The "Hill Country" is west of Austin.

Lockhart is south, though. They have BBQ.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

zxcvbob wrote:

> Somewhere in the hill country south of Austin, you really should
> find a local barbecue joint and get the brisket and sausage combo
> plate. (if you really like smoke, the most intense barbecue on the
> menu will be the "burnt ends" sandwich)
>
> Bob

Bob, I already 'hope' to stop by "Green's Sausage House" in Zabcikville,
TX that you recommended! I even faxed the info about Green's to my
folks with my notes On your recommendation, I rang them (Green's)
and spoke with Melvin/Marvin (?? - ok, my memory is faulty!) and the
place truly sounds like it's well worthwhile for a definite look-see!
Thanks again for the recommendation.

Sky, who's printed (with notes) the information about "Green's" and put
that in the travel packet

P.S. Thanks about the "cue" (pun intended <VBG>) and about the burnt
ends

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 03 May 2010 23:48:59 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Somewhere in the hill country south of Austin, you really should
>> find a local barbecue joint and get the brisket and sausage combo
>> plate. (if you really like smoke, the most intense barbecue on the
>> menu will be the "burnt ends" sandwich)

> The "Hill Country" is west of Austin.
>
> Lockhart is south, though. They have BBQ.
>
> -sw

Fredricksburg and Johnson City are what I think of as Hill Country,
but San Marcos or New Braunfels are on the cusp of it, and right
along I-35. Lockhart and Seguin both ought to have good barbecue,
but I haven't been there in about 20 years...

(BTW, how are the Bluebonnets this year?)

Dang, now I'm getting homesick

Bob <-- native Texan currently living in Minnesota
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 May 2010 21:51:16 -0500, Andy wrote:

> One google search trick is "tex mex restaurants in San Antonio, TX" or
> "italian restaurants in Corpus Cristy, TX", etc., etc. No reviews but
> might help. No quotes required.

Shirly, you jest. Not only is it not a "trick" but that's the worst
method to find a restaurant (and Google does have reviews).

Can you get any more wrong, Andy?

I know Austin has Yelp. But I'm not sure about the rest of Texas.
That is a much better bet.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 May 2010 00:13:05 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 03 May 2010 23:48:59 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
>>
>>> Somewhere in the hill country south of Austin, you really should
>>> find a local barbecue joint and get the brisket and sausage combo
>>> plate. (if you really like smoke, the most intense barbecue on the
>>> menu will be the "burnt ends" sandwich)

>> The "Hill Country" is west of Austin.
>>
>> Lockhart is south, though. They have BBQ.
>>
>> -sw

> Fredricksburg and Johnson City are what I think of as Hill Country,\
> but San Marcos or New Braunfels are on the cusp of it, and right
> along I-35. Lockhart and Seguin both ought to have good barbecue,
> but I haven't been there in about 20 years...

Here's a map. Practically all of it is westward and west of I35.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/image...ountry/map.gif

> (BTW, how are the Bluebonnets this year?)

I don't get out of the city limits much. I have a few in my back
yard, that's all I know.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Somewhere in the hill country south of Austin, you really should
>> find a local barbecue joint and get the brisket and sausage combo
>> plate. (if you really like smoke, the most intense barbecue on the
>> menu will be the "burnt ends" sandwich)
>>
>> Bob

> Bob, I already 'hope' to stop by "Green's Sausage House" in Zabcikville,
> TX that you recommended! I even faxed the info about Green's to my
> folks with my notes On your recommendation, I rang them (Green's)
> and spoke with Melvin/Marvin (?? - ok, my memory is faulty!) and the
> place truly sounds like it's well worthwhile for a definite look-see!
> Thanks again for the recommendation.
>
> Sky, who's printed (with notes) the information about "Green's" and put
> that in the travel packet

If I recall correctly, Green's is closed on Sundays. ==(8-0

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

zxcvbob wrote:

> If I recall correctly, Green's is closed on Sundays.

Duly noted and that information I printed - closed on Sunday's - is
included with the website you included Thanks!

http://5z8.info/worm_w2d4y_the-most-dangerous-game

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 03 May 2010 23:38:10 -0500, Sky wrote:
>
> > Perhaps it's easier to say no Asian, Arabian, European, N. & S.
> > American, African, Antartican

> Soo.. no cuisines that begin with "A". You don't like Asian food?
> Uh-oh. We won't get along well.
>
> > or anything like that if it includes
> > cooked veggies (well, that just depends!!!!)?

> You don't eat _any_ cooked vegetables?

Just depends, OOOPS <G>, I should've qualified that with cooked
"_green_" veggies ) except maybe the artichokes! My bad (again)!
Most raw, green veggies are good and game for the menu.

> OK, Iron Works BBQ is a block west of I35 in Downtown Austin.
> Cesar Chavez exit. This is where I take all the Internet people who
> come through Austin and everybody has come back for more of me (and
> the ribs ;-)

The BBQ place sounds really good!

I fondly remember (cough, cough) decades ago time spent during July 4th
at Lake Travie on a 16' catamaran with a jib - but the subsequent few
days afterwards were not - due to 2nd-degree sunburns! <VBG!> Dang but
that was a long time ago :> I'd do it again too, but with plenty of
sun-block lotion )

Sky, who hopefully knows better now

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

zxcvbob wrote:

> (BTW, how are the Bluebonnets this year?)

OH gosh! That's something I forgot about - the Bluebonnets & the Indian
Paintbrush - what glorious wildflowers! The orange & blue ) Alas, by
the time I travel through that area, they'll be past their primes Oh
well, just getting there will be grand

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 3 May 2010 22:46:22 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > See? It happens to all of us peaches!

> Or is it peeches? Now I don't even know how to spell it, dammit!

LOL - ruhroh & beware, you may get called out as an 'anal poster'! <VBG>

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

George Shirley wrote:

> This restaurant, http://www.yardarmrestaurant.com/ was good thirty years
> ago when we lived there and, by the latest reviews, still is. It sits on
> the waterfront on Ocean Drive and is fairly handy to many of the hotels
> there.

George, thanks for your help. The link you provided seems to be for a
restaurant in Massachussetts ??? Is this the place you meant to
mention? Orleans, MA is a long, long ...... ways away from Corpus
Christi, Texas ) The MA "yardarm" mentions "little & big
'predicament' soups" on their menu - I wonder what "predicament soup" is
(I could google <G>!)?

OUCH! Prices are much higher in the New England area, eh?! IIRC,
there's also a "yardarm" restaurant in the "Quad Cities" area (IL/IA) in
Moline, IL or that general area along the Mississippi River (?).

Sky, who hasn't been in the New England area for too many decades to
remember ;>>

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 03 May 2010 23:38:10 -0500, Sky wrote:
>
> > Perhaps it's easier to say no Asian, Arabian, European, N. & S.
> > American, African, Antartican

> Soo.. no cuisines that begin with "A". You don't like Asian food?
> Uh-oh. We won't get along well.
>
> > or anything like that if it includes
> > cooked veggies (well, that just depends!!!!)?

> You don't eat _any_ cooked vegetables?
>
> > No fast food, no Waffle
> > Houses (IHOPs aren't so bad) & anything immediately off the exits,
> > unless the 'eatery' is truly unique and worthwhile?! Does that limit
> > the options Steaks & potatoes are great! BBQ, very good Tex-Mex and
> > true Mexican (no beans BTW), and 'regular' diners are good, too
> > Thing is, distance from the main route(s) is a constraint. IOW, time is
> > limited.

> OK, Iron Works BBQ is a block west of I35 in Downtown Austin.
> Cesar Chavez exit. This is where I take all the Internet people who
> come through Austin and everybody has come back for more of me (and
> the ribs ;-)
>
> -sw

I will vouch for that choice. <g> If you are passing thru San Marcos, I
can recommend Fuschak's BBQ which is on the IH-35 access road in San
Marcos itself. If you are here on a weekend, I can join you there for
lunch.

There is also Texas Roadhouse but I've not been there, and Salt Grass
Steakhouse (about 1 mile West of the fwy in San Marcos) also has a good
reputation.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Mon, 03 May 2010 23:48:59 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
> >
> >> Somewhere in the hill country south of Austin, you really should
> >> find a local barbecue joint and get the brisket and sausage combo
> >> plate. (if you really like smoke, the most intense barbecue on the
> >> menu will be the "burnt ends" sandwich)

> > The "Hill Country" is west of Austin.
> >
> > Lockhart is south, though. They have BBQ.
> >
> > -sw

> Fredricksburg and Johnson City are what I think of as Hill Country,
> but San Marcos or New Braunfels are on the cusp of it, and right
> along I-35. Lockhart and Seguin both ought to have good barbecue,
> but I haven't been there in about 20 years...
>
> (BTW, how are the Bluebonnets this year?)
>
> Dang, now I'm getting homesick
>
> Bob <-- native Texan currently living in Minnesota

The Bluebonnets were fabulous as always but are pretty much died off by
now as the weather hits the high 80's and low 90's this week, but there
are tons of other wildflowers currently taking their place. :-)

All that rain we had this winter has been lovely for the hill country.
Cactus should be blooming soon and I'm going to have to pay closer
attention and get some snapshots this year. Cactus blooms are
spectacular.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Sky wrote:
> > zxcvbob wrote:
> >> Somewhere in the hill country south of Austin, you really should
> >> find a local barbecue joint and get the brisket and sausage combo
> >> plate. (if you really like smoke, the most intense barbecue on the
> >> menu will be the "burnt ends" sandwich)
> >>
> >> Bob

> > Bob, I already 'hope' to stop by "Green's Sausage House" in Zabcikville,
> > TX that you recommended! I even faxed the info about Green's to my
> > folks with my notes On your recommendation, I rang them (Green's)
> > and spoke with Melvin/Marvin (?? - ok, my memory is faulty!) and the
> > place truly sounds like it's well worthwhile for a definite look-see!
> > Thanks again for the recommendation.
> >
> > Sky, who's printed (with notes) the information about "Green's" and put
> > that in the travel packet
> >

> If I recall correctly, Green's is closed on Sundays. ==(8-0
>
> Bob

If'n y'all want Mexican food. Herberts San Marcos and New Braunfels are
good and have good reputations, as does Los Gallos in New Braunfels.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 3 May 2010 22:46:22 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > > See? It happens to all of us peaches!

> > Or is it peeches? Now I don't even know how to spell it, dammit!

> LOL - ruhroh & beware, you may get called out as an 'anal poster'! <VBG>
>
> Sky

Indeed... <g>
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2010 7:17 PM, Sky wrote:
> Alas, I don't believe Spouse and I'll get
> that close "in town" since we'll go the "outside" from N. Houston
> towards FM 1960 and Katy or more ? We just might get close to Bellaire
> & Hwy 6, but that's a 'big if'. I used to live in Houston (a few
> decades& lifetimes ago), and I remember one of my favorite places was a
> greek restaurant/oyster bar (?), "Papa....." something or another

If you are near the 610 loop, you could go to Penzey's.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...ml?id=sij87eLX

In Houston, Pappa's has restaurants in many locations, they are all
pretty good.

http://www.pappas.com/

Have a wonderful road trip!

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 May 2010 22:50:01 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 03 May 2010 21:30:20 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
>
>> What on earth makes you think that the current oil leak has any effect
>> on current gulf oyster stocks, will have any effect on gulf oyster
>> stocks in the near term, or that the oysters you would be getting at a
>> large chain restaurant (Papas's is a very large group) would be local
>> gulf oysters anyway?

> Uh, maybe because it's a very real problem that has been mentioned
> all over the news? The price of Gulf Shrimp has already gone up
> 150%.
>
> -sw

if the oil ain't there yet, it will be soon.

i have no idea why pete seems to think it's on the order of spilling your
cocktail.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 May 2010 23:55:04 -0500, Sky wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>>
>> One google search trick is "tex mex restaurants in San Antonio, TX" or
>> "italian restaurants in Corpus Cristy, TX", etc., etc. No reviews but
>> might help. No quotes required.

> "Googling" is no substitute for a first-hand recommendation by someone
> who knows & has been there in person.
>
> Sky

it can be fun, though.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 May 2010 00:13:29 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 03 May 2010 21:51:16 -0500, Andy wrote:
>
>> One google search trick is "tex mex restaurants in San Antonio, TX" or
>> "italian restaurants in Corpus Cristy, TX", etc., etc. No reviews but
>> might help. No quotes required.

> Shirly, you jest. Not only is it not a "trick" but that's the worst
> method to find a restaurant (and Google does have reviews).
>
> Can you get any more wrong, Andy?
>
> I know Austin has Yelp. But I'm not sure about the rest of Texas.
> That is a much better bet.
>
> -sw

the yelp and chowhound entities can be more useful than some of the city
mag and newspaper reviews.

there was a blog post some years ago (not bookmarked, alas), where the
writer posited this method for finding best restaurants in a town you know
nothing about. say you want to find the best steakhouse. what you do is
find the yelp or chowhound group for that town, and post there that xyz
steakhouse (chosen at random from a google search) is the tops in every
way.

you then get either affirmations (unlikely) or a bunch of posts saying
'rubbish. there's a little hole in the wall here that makes xyz look
completely sick' and you're on your way.

your pal,
blake

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2010 1:21 AM, Sky wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>>
>> This restaurant, http://www.yardarmrestaurant.com/ was good thirty years
>> ago when we lived there and, by the latest reviews, still is. It sits on
>> the waterfront on Ocean Drive and is fairly handy to many of the hotels
>> there.

> George, thanks for your help. The link you provided seems to be for a
> restaurant in Massachussetts ??? Is this the place you meant to
> mention? Orleans, MA is a long, long ...... ways away from Corpus
> Christi, Texas ) The MA "yardarm" mentions "little& big
> 'predicament' soups" on their menu - I wonder what "predicament soup" is
> (I could google<G>!)?

Sorry about that, Google search showed it as the Yardarm in Corpus but
the link did take you to the one in Massachusetts. Here's another with
reviews for the CC Yardarm:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...sti_Texas.html

> OUCH! Prices are much higher in the New England area, eh?! IIRC,
> there's also a "yardarm" restaurant in the "Quad Cities" area (IL/IA) in
> Moline, IL or that general area along the Mississippi River (?).
>
> Sky, who hasn't been in the New England area for too many decades to
> remember ;>>

I don't know if the restaurant is still there but I used to eat at one
of the many Eligio's restaurants in Corpus. TexMex and regular eats too,
menu was generally in Spanish and on a blackboard near the front door.
The restaurants were generally in old houses that had been converted.

The original Whataburger joint is also in Corpus, don't know how it
looks downtime but uptime it was a classy burger joint. You can't visit
Texas without trying a Whataburger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 3, 5:35*pm, Sky > wrote:
> Well, as the topic line says about Eastern Texas, I'd like to learn
> about some 'must dine' eateries in the DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston
> & Corpus Christi areas and points in between - with emphasis in Corpus
> Christi. *Spouse and I will soon drive/travel south from Illinois to
> Corpus Christi (CC) where we'll stay a few days for DS's "wedding" and
> more. *(AND, if folks can recommend an 'economical' place to stay in CC
> in a reasonable, I'd like to learn about that, too!)
>
> OH oh(!), it'd be nice to learn about other 'must dine' eateries in the
> other states along the way south to CC - those being Missouri, Oklahoma,
> and even Arkansas *With the exception of CC, preference will be for
> eateries nearby the main interstates since we're only driving through
> and won't have much time (hey, it's a 1200-1300 mile trip - double that
> for round-trip! *It's possible we might even drive through OKC and
> Tulsa, or even McAlister, too. *Thanks ever so much !!
>
> Sky, who avoids driving at night if possible
>
> P.S. *Suggestions for other 'must sees' along the way would be greatly
> appreciated, too! *TIA
>
> P.P.S. *If we "detour" through OKC, it's so I can visit the "Memorial"
> there.

Arkansas? If you do decide to take the scenic route one of the
directions, you might want to go through Eureka Springs, in which case
you could eat at Ermilio's in Eureka Springs.
http://www.ermilios.com/
There's a nice hotel there too:
http://www.crescent-hotel.com/resinfo.html
I'd call them and try to haggle a good price on a room during the week
when they're at low occupancy. Don't stay at their other property,
Basin Park. It's not nearly as nice. Passing through St. Louis, one
should take a day to visit our zoo. http://www.stlzoo.org/ There's a
nice little inn right near the zoo: http://www.cheshirelodge.net/

This is considered the best Italian in St. Louis by many folks:
http://www.cunetto.com/

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 May 2010 10:16:18 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>> I know Austin has Yelp. But I'm not sure about the rest of Texas.
>> That is a much better bet.
>>
>> -sw

>the yelp and chowhound entities can be more useful than some of the city
>mag and newspaper reviews.

That must depend on who posted to whatever store is in question. We
went to a Polish deli a few weeks ago that had 19 very positive
reviews. It seemed the reviews were written about another store. Or
maybe all the employees gave the rave reviews. Several said you were
SOL if you didn't speak Polish but we didn't hear one word of it
spoken by anyone.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2010-05-03 21:55:04 -0700, Sky said:

> Andy wrote:
>>
>> One google search trick is "tex mex restaurants in San Antonio, TX" or
>> "italian restaurants in Corpus Cristy, TX", etc., etc. No reviews but
>> might help. No quotes required.

> "Googling" is no substitute for a first-hand recommendation by someone
> who knows & has been there in person.

True. Yelp has a bunch of first-hand recommendations. And it's pretty
easy to weed through reviews of excellence that don't have much
substance, and negative reviews that were written by somebody pouting
insignificant/random situations.
--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> The original Whataburger joint is also in Corpus, don't know how it
> looks downtime but uptime it was a classy burger joint. You can't visit
> Texas without trying a Whataburger.

I am a huge fan of their chicken strips with the white gravy to dip them
in. YUM!

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> Pete C. wrote:
>> What on earth makes you think that the current oil leak has any effect
>> on current gulf oyster stocks, will have any effect on gulf oyster
>> stocks in the near term, or that the oysters you would be getting at a
>> large chain restaurant (Papas's is a very large group) would be local
>> gulf oysters anyway?

> Simple economics, eh?! Supply & Demand -- the Supply of "fresh" seafood
> from the Gulf of Mexico will very soon end and become, if not already,
> nil or very nearly so (
>
> Sky, who is no economist
>
> P.S. I have to wonder what sort of 'news' Pete C reads, hears or
> watches ?!!

The Gulf is larger than where the oil spill is. Down here, below the
coastal band, we don't anticipate any problems where the oyster beds
are. The shrimpers are a bit worried but they range much farther north.