Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default "R/R & S" where to dine while on road trip (long)

"Recommendations/Requests & Suggestions" (R/R & S) for places to dine
while en route during a long road trip ;D R/R & S for motel/hotel stays
would also be welcomed, especially the sort that are _very_ inexpensive
- I did not say "cheap" (cheap cheap!)! ;D Please also include
information about places to avoid!!!!! That's just as important to know,
too - know what I mean??? :>

Within the next month or so, it seems there may be a possible
opportunity (knock on wood!) for Spouse and me to take a long road-trip
to visit DS and his family. The one-way route by motor vehicle would
include points between Jacksonville FL and Indianapolis IN (USA). There
are several route variations between these two cities with about
100-miles difference in total mileage (850-950 miles, plus or minus
some). Total trip mileage would not include the obligatory additional
mileage for frequent detours due to many different potential reasons
such as, "I'm lost", dang it - missed the exit, no navigator, where's
that gas/petrol station, where's the bathroom?, I'm hungry, etc.>. The
route(s) and timing involved would be flexible, too (whew!).

I'd like to ask RFC folks about eateries & diners that would be
worthwhile to visit should Spouse and I get lucky to have the chance to
take our potential road-trip?? If possible, please include quick
descriptions of the location's ambiance, its genre of foods, and other
pertinent information - those tidbits of information would be wonderful
to learn!

The cities and places of interest and points in between will/might include:

Indianapolis IN, Cincinnati OH, Louisville KY,
Frankfort KY, Lexington KY, Nashville TN,
Knoxville TN, Chattanooga TN, Atlanta GA,
Macon GA, Valdosta GA, Savannah GA,
Spartanburg SC, Columbia SC, & Orangeburg SC

(Charleston SC is not an optional detour, dang it)

There are many points in between all the cities listed above, but the
main routes most likely taken would be the direct interstate highways.
Personally, I find USA interstate highways to be quite sterile and
b.o.r.i.n.g. (big yawn!). So, scenic detours would not be out of the
question - knock on wood!

I'll knock on wood, again, a few more times In the meantime, I
thought I'd try to get all my 'ducks in a row' and have any information
on hand y'all want to share <G> ;D TIA!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky > wrote in
:

> "Recommendations/Requests & Suggestions" (R/R & S) for places to dine
> while en route during a long road trip ;D R/R & S for motel/hotel

LOL!!! My first thought was two esky's on the back seat, one chock full of
sandwiches, the other with drinks. And a box to hold wide mouthed (empty at
the start) plastic bottles and ziploc bags (for urine and excretment).. and
then do a crazy assed non-stop cannonball run right through!!!

Something i would do, but probably not most others :-)

Peter
Tasmania
Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

HEH, er hey-hey-hey!! I hereby copyright "R/R & S --
Recommendations/Requests & Suggestions" as a future show title on some
sort of cable/satellite TV channel ! And/Or, any form of
"Recommendations, Requests, and Suggestions" or "Requests,
Recommendations and Suggestions" etc - all to the 3^2 or 3^3, and 3^4,
etc. versions of said titles ;P~ Something like that Perhaps I
should list all of them!

Sky

On 1/6/2012 12:54 AM, Sky wrote:
> "Recommendations/Requests & Suggestions" (R/R & S) for places to dine
> while en route during a long road trip ;D R/R & S for motel/hotel stays
> would also be welcomed, especially the sort that are _very_ inexpensive
> - I did not say "cheap" (cheap cheap!)! ;D Please also include
> information about places to avoid!!!!! That's just as important to know,
> too - know what I mean??? :>
>
> Within the next month or so, it seems there may be a possible
> opportunity (knock on wood!) for Spouse and me to take a long road-trip
> to visit DS and his family. The one-way route by motor vehicle would
> include points between Jacksonville FL and Indianapolis IN (USA). There
> are several route variations between these two cities with about
> 100-miles difference in total mileage (850-950 miles, plus or minus
> some). Total trip mileage would not include the obligatory additional
> mileage for frequent detours due to many different potential reasons
> such as, "I'm lost", dang it - missed the exit, no navigator, where's
> that gas/petrol station, where's the bathroom?, I'm hungry, etc.>. The
> route(s) and timing involved would be flexible, too (whew!).
>
> I'd like to ask RFC folks about eateries & diners that would be
> worthwhile to visit should Spouse and I get lucky to have the chance to
> take our potential road-trip?? If possible, please include quick
> descriptions of the location's ambiance, its genre of foods, and other
> pertinent information - those tidbits of information would be wonderful
> to learn!
>
> The cities and places of interest and points in between will/might include:
>
> Indianapolis IN, Cincinnati OH, Louisville KY,
> Frankfort KY, Lexington KY, Nashville TN,
> Knoxville TN, Chattanooga TN, Atlanta GA,
> Macon GA, Valdosta GA, Savannah GA,
> Spartanburg SC, Columbia SC, & Orangeburg SC
>
> (Charleston SC is not an optional detour, dang it)
>
> There are many points in between all the cities listed above, but the
> main routes most likely taken would be the direct interstate highways.
> Personally, I find USA interstate highways to be quite sterile and
> b.o.r.i.n.g. (big yawn!). So, scenic detours would not be out of the
> question - knock on wood!
>
> I'll knock on wood, again, a few more times In the meantime, I
> thought I'd try to get all my 'ducks in a row' and have any information
> on hand y'all want to share <G> ;D TIA!
>
> Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> HEH, er hey-hey-hey!! I hereby copyright "R/R & S --
> Recommendations/Requests & Suggestions" as a future show title on some
> sort of cable/satellite TV channel ! And/Or, any form of
> "Recommendations, Requests, and Suggestions" or "Requests, Recommendations
> and Suggestions" etc - all to the 3^2 or 3^3, and 3^4, etc. versions of
> said titles ;P~ Something like that Perhaps I should list all of
> them!
>
> Sky
>
> On 1/6/2012 12:54 AM, Sky wrote:
>> "Recommendations/Requests & Suggestions" (R/R & S) for places to dine
>> while en route during a long road trip ;D R/R & S for motel/hotel stays
>> would also be welcomed, especially the sort that are _very_ inexpensive
>> - I did not say "cheap" (cheap cheap!)! ;D Please also include
>> information about places to avoid!!!!! That's just as important to know,
>> too - know what I mean??? :>
>>
>> Within the next month or so, it seems there may be a possible
>> opportunity (knock on wood!) for Spouse and me to take a long road-trip
>> to visit DS and his family. The one-way route by motor vehicle would
>> include points between Jacksonville FL and Indianapolis IN (USA). There
>> are several route variations between these two cities with about
>> 100-miles difference in total mileage (850-950 miles, plus or minus
>> some). Total trip mileage would not include the obligatory additional
>> mileage for frequent detours due to many different potential reasons
>> such as, "I'm lost", dang it - missed the exit, no navigator, where's
>> that gas/petrol station, where's the bathroom?, I'm hungry, etc.>. The
>> route(s) and timing involved would be flexible, too (whew!).
>>
>> I'd like to ask RFC folks about eateries & diners that would be
>> worthwhile to visit should Spouse and I get lucky to have the chance to
>> take our potential road-trip?? If possible, please include quick
>> descriptions of the location's ambiance, its genre of foods, and other
>> pertinent information - those tidbits of information would be wonderful
>> to learn!
>>
>> The cities and places of interest and points in between will/might
>> include:
>>
>> Indianapolis IN, Cincinnati OH, Louisville KY,
>> Frankfort KY, Lexington KY, Nashville TN,
>> Knoxville TN, Chattanooga TN, Atlanta GA,
>> Macon GA, Valdosta GA, Savannah GA,
>> Spartanburg SC, Columbia SC, & Orangeburg SC
>>
>> (Charleston SC is not an optional detour, dang it)
>>
>> There are many points in between all the cities listed above, but the
>> main routes most likely taken would be the direct interstate highways.
>> Personally, I find USA interstate highways to be quite sterile and
>> b.o.r.i.n.g. (big yawn!). So, scenic detours would not be out of the
>> question - knock on wood!
>>
>> I'll knock on wood, again, a few more times In the meantime, I
>> thought I'd try to get all my 'ducks in a row' and have any information
>> on hand y'all want to share <G> ;D TIA!
>>
>> Sky

We've always take Michael and Jane Stern's "Roadfood" book with us on a road
trip.
http://www.amazon.com/Roadfood-Coast...5883361&sr=1-1
And, I always take my laptop and go to yelp.com

Have a good trip,

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message

> [...]
>>> Macon GA, Valdosta GA, Savannah GA,
>>> Spartanburg SC, Columbia SC, & Orangeburg SC
>>>
>>> (Charleston SC is not an optional detour, dang it)
>>>
>>> There are many points in between all the cities listed above, but the
>>> main routes most likely taken would be the direct interstate highways.
>>> Personally, I find USA interstate highways to be quite sterile and
>>> b.o.r.i.n.g. (big yawn!). So, scenic detours would not be out of the
>>> question - knock on wood!
>>>
>>> I'll knock on wood, again, a few more times In the meantime, I
>>> thought I'd try to get all my 'ducks in a row' and have any information
>>> on hand y'all want to share <G> ;D TIA!
>>>
>>> Sky
>>>

> We've always take Michael and Jane Stern's "Roadfood" book with us on a
> road trip.
> http://www.amazon.com/Roadfood-Coast...5883361&sr=1-1
> And, I always take my laptop and go to yelp.com

Have you ever wanted to get on the floor of the backseat, cover yourself
with pillows and scream? That's what I feel everytime we go through
Chattanooga. The highway squeezes between mountains, tourist traps and over
a river. Every big rig truck comes racing though at full speed ahead
whether they were going somewhere else or not. Don't worry about where to
eat. It wouldn't stay down anyway. That beautiful city scares the Dickens
out of me. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 23:28:03 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>Have you ever wanted to get on the floor of the backseat, cover yourself
>with pillows and scream? That's what I feel everytime we go through
>Chattanooga. The highway squeezes between mountains, tourist traps and over
>a river. Every big rig truck comes racing though at full speed ahead
>whether they were going somewhere else or not. Don't worry about where to
>eat. It wouldn't stay down anyway. That beautiful city scares the Dickens
>out of me. Polly

Can't you get off the highway and take the side roads? I've never
been there so I don't know all about it, but a glance at a map shows
many alternates.

Side roads will add considerable time though, if that is a
consideration, but you get a much better tour of the towns. We often
take the highway to a given point and then get off the interstate.
That is when our trip truly starts, meandering the back roads and
touring the small town Main Street.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 23:28:03 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:
>
>>Have you ever wanted to get on the floor of the backseat, cover yourself
>>with pillows and scream? That's what I feel everytime we go through
>>Chattanooga. The highway squeezes between mountains, tourist traps and
>>over
>>a river. Every big rig truck comes racing though at full speed ahead
>>whether they were going somewhere else or not. Don't worry about where to
>>eat. It wouldn't stay down anyway. That beautiful city scares the
>>Dickens
>>out of me. Polly
>>

> Can't you get off the highway and take the side roads? I've never
> been there so I don't know all about it, but a glance at a map shows
> many alternates.
>
> Side roads will add considerable time though, if that is a
> consideration, but you get a much better tour of the towns. We often
> take the highway to a given point and then get off the interstate.
> That is when our trip truly starts, meandering the back roads and
> touring the small town Main Street.

I'm not sure if she mentioned time constraints. But I do agree about taking
the side roads whenever possible. I don't know of a short cut through the
Appalachian Mountains. Yes, that was a scary highway but I haven't been on
it in 35 years; maybe they put up guard rails since then. LOL

I do agree the side roads on any long drive often yield interesting little
towns. They have quaint main streets and interesting diners. And those
diners almost always have excellent food

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 6, 11:28*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> > Kent

> Have you ever wanted to get on the floor of the backseat, cover yourself
> with pillows and scream? *That's what I feel everytime we go through
> Chattanooga. *The highway squeezes between mountains, tourist traps and over
> a river. *Every big rig truck comes racing though at full speed ahead
> whether they were going somewhere else or not. *Don't worry about where to
> eat. *It wouldn't stay down anyway. *That beautiful city scares the Dickens
> out of me. *Polly

You talking about I-24? Yeah, I'm very familiar. Used to drive it
often to the Ocoee and Nantahala rivers. I like how I-24 dips down
into GA for a couple of miles just west of Chattanooga though. The gas
was always cheaper there, and there are about 3 or 4 gas stations in
that 3 or 4 mile section of I-24!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 6, 1:54*am, Sky > wrote:
> "Recommendations/Requests & Suggestions" (R/R & S) for places to dine
> while en route during a long road trip ;D *R/R & S for motel/hotel stays
> would also be welcomed, especially the sort that are _very_ inexpensive
> - I did not say "cheap" (cheap cheap!)! ;D *Please also include
> information about places to avoid!!!!! That's just as important to know,
> too - know what I mean??? :>
>
> Within the next month or so, it seems there may be a possible
> opportunity (knock on wood!) for Spouse and me to take a long road-trip
> to visit DS and his family. *The one-way route by motor vehicle would
> include points between Jacksonville FL and Indianapolis IN (USA). *There
> are several route variations between these two cities with about
> 100-miles difference in total mileage (850-950 miles, plus or minus
> some). *Total trip mileage would not include the obligatory additional
> mileage for frequent detours due to many different potential reasons
> such as, "I'm lost", dang it - missed the exit, no navigator, where's
> that gas/petrol station, where's the bathroom?, I'm hungry, etc.>. *The
> route(s) and timing involved would be flexible, too (whew!).
>
> I'd like to ask RFC folks about eateries & diners that would be
> worthwhile to visit should Spouse and I get lucky to have the chance to
> take our potential road-trip?? *If possible, please include quick
> descriptions of the location's ambiance, its genre of foods, and other
> pertinent information - those tidbits of information would be wonderful
> to learn!
>
> The cities and places of interest and points in between will/might include:
>
> * *Indianapolis IN, Cincinnati OH, Louisville KY,
> * *Frankfort KY, Lexington KY, Nashville TN,
> * *Knoxville TN, Chattanooga TN, Atlanta GA,
> * *Macon GA, Valdosta GA, Savannah GA,
> * *Spartanburg SC, Columbia SC, & Orangeburg SC
>
> * *(Charleston SC is not an optional detour, dang it)
>
> There are many points in between all the cities listed above, but the
> main routes most likely taken would be the direct interstate highways.
> Personally, I find USA interstate highways to be quite sterile and
> b.o.r.i.n.g. (big yawn!). *So, scenic detours would not be out of the
> question - knock on wood!
>
> I'll knock on wood, again, a few more times *In the meantime, I
> thought I'd try to get all my 'ducks in a row' and have any information
> on hand y'all want to share <G> ;D *TIA!
>
> Sky
>
> --
>
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

If time permits, stay off the interstates. Cruise the old routes, see
small towns and find interesting independent restos. Skip the chains
restos - you'll get nothing new and different otherwise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 7, 8:32*am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 23:28:03 -0600, "Polly Esther"

> Can't you get off the highway and take the side roads? *I've never
> been there so I don't know all about it, but a glance at a map shows
> many alternates.

Here's a challenge. Try to find a way to get around Waldorf MD and
its 13 red lights.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 7, 9:23*am, Kalmia > wrote:

> If time permits, stay off the interstates. *Cruise the old routes, see
> small towns and find interesting independent restos. *Skip the chains
> restos - you'll get nothing new and different otherwise.

That's the problem. There are hardly any mom and pop independent
restaurants anymore due to the MalWartization of the culture. It's all
chains and CrapFood places now. The regional new and different are
being eaten by the Ownership Class and their multibillion$$ pig
troughs!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 6, 12:54*am, Sky > wrote:
> "Recommendations/Requests & Suggestions" (R/R & S) for places to dine
> while en route during a long road trip ;D *R/R & S for motel/hotel stays
> would also be welcomed, especially the sort that are _very_ inexpensive
> - I did not say "cheap" (cheap cheap!)! ;D *Please also include
> information about places to avoid!!!!! That's just as important to know,
> too - know what I mean??? :>
>
> Within the next month or so, it seems there may be a possible
> opportunity (knock on wood!) for Spouse and me to take a long road-trip
> to visit DS and his family. *The one-way route by motor vehicle would
> include points between Jacksonville FL and Indianapolis IN (USA). *There
> are several route variations between these two cities with about
> 100-miles difference in total mileage (850-950 miles, plus or minus
> some). *Total trip mileage would not include the obligatory additional
> mileage for frequent detours due to many different potential reasons
> such as, "I'm lost", dang it - missed the exit, no navigator, where's
> that gas/petrol station, where's the bathroom?, I'm hungry, etc.>. *The
> route(s) and timing involved would be flexible, too (whew!).
>
> I'd like to ask RFC folks about eateries & diners that would be
> worthwhile to visit should Spouse and I get lucky to have the chance to
> take our potential road-trip?? *If possible, please include quick
> descriptions of the location's ambiance, its genre of foods, and other
> pertinent information - those tidbits of information would be wonderful
> to learn!
>
> The cities and places of interest and points in between will/might include:
>
> * *Indianapolis IN, Cincinnati OH, Louisville KY,
> * *Frankfort KY, Lexington KY, Nashville TN,
> * *Knoxville TN, Chattanooga TN, Atlanta GA,
> * *Macon GA, Valdosta GA, Savannah GA,
> * *Spartanburg SC, Columbia SC, & Orangeburg SC
>
> * *(Charleston SC is not an optional detour, dang it)
>
> There are many points in between all the cities listed above, but the
> main routes most likely taken would be the direct interstate highways.
> Personally, I find USA interstate highways to be quite sterile and
> b.o.r.i.n.g. (big yawn!). *So, scenic detours would not be out of the
> question - knock on wood!
>
> I'll knock on wood, again, a few more times *In the meantime, I
> thought I'd try to get all my 'ducks in a row' and have any information
> on hand y'all want to share <G> ;D *TIA!

You will be passing through Dalton, GA. Here's a great Mexican
restaurant:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Braser...50470664975421
I just uploaded a pic of it to my Flickr site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3617818...in/photostream

Here's a DO NOT eat at: Joe Bear's BBQ in Macon.

I can also recommend a hotel just north of Atlanta that was very nice
and reasonably priced:
http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...ertyCode=11126

You should consider joining either Best Western Rewards or Choice
Hotels' frequent stay club. Both sometimes offer really good bonuses,
especially in the Summer, offers like stay three times and get a
certificate for one free night.

If you take two day to drive, you'd probably want to stay at a Motel
6, because they are cheap, and great if all you need is a place to
sleep, shower and be on your way, but we like to have shorter drives
and be able to enjoy the accommodations. This BW is on the way too,
and very nice. Their pool rocks: http://bestwesterntennessee.com/hote...us-white-house

> Sky

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 23:28:03 -0600, "Polly Esther"

> Can't you get off the highway and take the side roads? I've never
> been there so I don't know all about it, but a glance at a map shows
> many alternates.

Here's a challenge. Try to find a way to get around Waldorf MD and
its 13 red lights.

What the heck. Just pull into the giant teepee and have a greasy snack. Or
has that all changed since the legalized gambling one more time?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 07:25:26 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Jan 7, 8:32*am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>> On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 23:28:03 -0600, "Polly Esther"

>> Can't you get off the highway and take the side roads? *I've never
>> been there so I don't know all about it, but a glance at a map shows
>> many alternates.
>>

>Here's a challenge. Try to find a way to get around Waldorf MD and
>its 13 red lights.

St. Charles Parkway looks OK. It becomes Mattawoman Beantown Road (rt
5)

There is always a way around, but not necessarily "better" than the
original route, or faster, or anything else. Depends on just how bad
you want to change. As a tourist, I may enjoy a slow ride through
Waldorf no matter how many lights, but if I was in a hurry to get
someplace, much less so.

I know people that do not like particular roads and avoid them, as do
I have preferences in some places. I know a couple of people afraid to
drive on highways and avoid them. Some bridges even offer a service
to have your car driven to the other side. IIRC, Route 50 in Maryland
has that I just recall a high, narrow, grate covered bridge.

I'm not afraid to drive anywhere, but I have preferences for various
reasons. Faster, better places to eat, less congestion, more scenic,
etc. There is always another route though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 07:30:40 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Jan 7, 9:23*am, Kalmia > wrote:
>>
>> If time permits, stay off the interstates. *Cruise the old routes, see
>> small towns and find interesting independent restos. *Skip the chains
>> restos - you'll get nothing new and different otherwise.

>That's the problem. There are hardly any mom and pop independent
>restaurants anymore due to the MalWartization of the culture. It's all
>chains and CrapFood places now. The regional new and different are
>being eaten by the Ownership Class and their multibillion$$ pig
>troughs!!
>
>John Kuthe...

Who's fault is that? Howard Johnson started it but people's
preferences eventually brought in McDonalds and the rest along the
highway. I don't blame the businesses, but the lack of taste of the
consumer that will go to a fast food place rather than the local
sandwich shop or diner.

Some of that is because at KFC or BK you pretty much know what you'll
get, but at Dad's Diner, it is a crap shoot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 7, 10:32*am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 07:30:40 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>
> > wrote:
> >On Jan 7, 9:23 am, Kalmia > wrote:

> >> If time permits, stay off the interstates. Cruise the old routes, see
> >> small towns and find interesting independent restos. Skip the chains
> >> restos - you'll get nothing new and different otherwise.

> >That's the problem. There are hardly any mom and pop independent
> >restaurants anymore due to the MalWartization of the culture. It's all
> >chains and CrapFood places now. The regional new and different are
> >being eaten by the Ownership Class and their multibillion$$ pig
> >troughs!!

> >John Kuthe...

> Who's fault is that? *Howard Johnson started it but people's
> preferences eventually brought in McDonalds and the rest along the
> highway. *I don't blame the businesses, but the lack of taste of the
> consumer that will go to a fast food place rather than the local
> sandwich shop or diner.
>
> Some of that is because at KFC or BK you pretty much know what you'll
> get, but at Dad's Diner, it is a crap shoot.

I've found the food at local diners in the Midwest/South to often be
worse than fast food. At least the fast food joints have real butter.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stop for barbecue at Owensboro, KY. The name of the place is
Moon-something.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> On Jan 7, 8:32 am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> > On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 23:28:03 -0600, "Polly Esther"

> > Can't you get off the highway and take the side roads? I've never
> > been there so I don't know all about it, but a glance at a map shows
> > many alternates.
> >

> Here's a challenge. Try to find a way to get around Waldorf MD and
> its 13 red lights.

Helicopter. What do I win?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> On Jan 6, 12:54 am, Sky wrote:
> > "Recommendations/Requests & Suggestions" (R/R & S) for places to dine
> > while en route during a long road trip ;D R/R & S for motel/hotel stays
> > would also be welcomed, especially the sort that are _very_ inexpensive
> > - I did not say "cheap" (cheap cheap!)! ;D

If you aren't already a member of AARP, consider joining. The annual fee is
fairly cheap. I joined when I turned 50 but most of the coupons/deals were
for really retired ppl that like to travel. They offered lots of good deals
for travelers...nothing for me so I didn't resubscribe.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 08:49:24 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Jan 7, 10:32*am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>> On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 07:30:40 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >That's the problem. There are hardly any mom and pop independent
>> >restaurants anymore due to the MalWartization of the culture. It's all
>> >chains and CrapFood places now. The regional new and different are
>> >being eaten by the Ownership Class and their multibillion$$ pig
>> >troughs!!

>> >John Kuthe...

>> Who's fault is that? *Howard Johnson started it but people's
>> preferences eventually brought in McDonalds and the rest along the
>> highway. *I don't blame the businesses, but the lack of taste of the
>> consumer that will go to a fast food place rather than the local
>> sandwich shop or diner.
>>
>> Some of that is because at KFC or BK you pretty much know what you'll
>> get, but at Dad's Diner, it is a crap shoot.

>I've found the food at local diners in the Midwest/South to often be
>worse than fast food. At least the fast food joints have real butter.
>
>--Bryan

Often true. It's like they all buy their food stuffs from the same low
quality supplier. The cheap stuff.

But I do NOT agree that FastFood places are better. Pig slop is pig
slop. Real butter or not.

There used to be a place on either I-24 or Hwy 19/74 I think it is
(into NC) called Golden's. The food was OK. but they had the best
peanut butter brownies, OMG!!! We were there once in 1995ish, had just
finished dinner and they brought us our "dessert", this inauspicious
little brownie thing, but when we ate them, OMG!!! To make them any
larger would have been complete overload! As rich and delicious a
brownie as I've ever eaten! (The owner's mother made them.)

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 7, 11:06*am, "Giusi" > wrote:

> What the heck. *Just pull into the giant teepee and have a greasy snack.. Or
> has that all changed since the legalized gambling one more time?

Don't remember ever seeing any giant teepee. Too busy trying not to
catch the next red.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 6, 1:54*am, Sky > wrote:
> "Recommendations/Requests & Suggestions" (R/R & S) for places to dine
> while en route during a long road trip ;D *R/R & S for motel/hotel stays
> would also be welcomed, especially the sort that are _very_ inexpensive
> - I did not say "cheap" (cheap cheap!)! ;D *Please also include
> information about places to avoid!!!!! That's just as important to know,
> too - know what I mean??? :>
>
> Within the next month or so, it seems there may be a possible
> opportunity (knock on wood!) for Spouse and me to take a long road-trip
> to visit DS and his family. *The one-way route by motor vehicle would
> include points between Jacksonville FL and Indianapolis IN (USA). *There
> are several route variations between these two cities with about
> 100-miles difference in total mileage (850-950 miles, plus or minus
> some). *Total trip mileage would not include the obligatory additional
> mileage for frequent detours due to many different potential reasons
> such as, "I'm lost", dang it - missed the exit, no navigator, where's
> that gas/petrol station, where's the bathroom?, I'm hungry, etc.>. *The
> route(s) and timing involved would be flexible, too (whew!).
>
> I'd like to ask RFC folks about eateries & diners that would be
> worthwhile to visit should Spouse and I get lucky to have the chance to
> take our potential road-trip?? *If possible, please include quick
> descriptions of the location's ambiance, its genre of foods, and other
> pertinent information - those tidbits of information would be wonderful
> to learn!
>
> The cities and places of interest and points in between will/might include:
>
> * *Indianapolis IN, Cincinnati OH, Louisville KY,
> * *Frankfort KY, Lexington KY, Nashville TN,
> * *Knoxville TN, Chattanooga TN, Atlanta GA,
> * *Macon GA, Valdosta GA, Savannah GA,
> * *Spartanburg SC, Columbia SC, & Orangeburg SC
>
> * *(Charleston SC is not an optional detour, dang it)
>
> There are many points in between all the cities listed above, but the
> main routes most likely taken would be the direct interstate highways.
> Personally, I find USA interstate highways to be quite sterile and
> b.o.r.i.n.g. (big yawn!). *So, scenic detours would not be out of the
> question - knock on wood!
>
> I'll knock on wood, again, a few more times *In the meantime, I
> thought I'd try to get all my 'ducks in a row' and have any information
> on hand y'all want to share <G> ;D *TIA!
>
> Sky
>
> --
>
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

If you are going to be in Jacksonville, spend a day up the coast in
Fernandina Beach. Interesting old town, waterfront, take the boat
over to spot the wild equine inhabitants.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 07:30:40 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
>>On Jan 7, 9:23 am, Kalmia > wrote:
>>>
>>> If time permits, stay off the interstates. Cruise the old routes, see
>>> small towns and find interesting independent restos. Skip the chains
>>> restos - you'll get nothing new and different otherwise.

>>That's the problem. There are hardly any mom and pop independent
>>restaurants anymore due to the MalWartization of the culture. It's all
>>chains and CrapFood places now. The regional new and different are
>>being eaten by the Ownership Class and their multibillion$$ pig
>>troughs!!
>>
>>John Kuthe...

> Who's fault is that? Howard Johnson started it but people's
> preferences eventually brought in McDonalds and the rest along the
> highway. I don't blame the businesses, but the lack of taste of the
> consumer that will go to a fast food place rather than the local
> sandwich shop or diner.
>
> Some of that is because at KFC or BK you pretty much know what you'll
> get, but at Dad's Diner, it is a crap shoot.

True enough. But it's often a wonderful crap shoot! I remember having
breakfast at a little diner in Illinois. I ordered a spinach/cheese omelet.
I was very surprised when the server came back and said the cook had some
brie, would I like that in my omelet? Absolutely!

If you have the option of taking the scenic route and go through smaller
towns you'll find more mom & pop type places. Ask the folks at the
hotel/motel for recommendations on non-chain eateries. They're usually
quite helpful in that regard. Of course if it's lunch time and you're still
on the road you're on your own. Then again, if you stop for gas just ask
someone who works there.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 7, 1:25*pm, Gary > wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
>
> > On Jan 6, 12:54 am, Sky wrote:
> > > "Recommendations/Requests & Suggestions" (R/R & S) for places to dine
> > > while en route during a long road trip ;D *R/R & S for motel/hotel stays
> > > would also be welcomed, especially the sort that are _very_ inexpensive
> > > - I did not say "cheap" (cheap cheap!)! ;D

> If you aren't already a member of AARP, consider joining. The annual fee is
> fairly cheap. *I joined when I turned 50 but most of the coupons/deals were
> for really retired ppl that like to travel. They offered lots of good deals
> for travelers...nothing for me so I didn't resubscribe.

The AAA discount is just as large as the AARP one on Best Western and
Amtrak.
Our last big vacation we used BW's AAA and Government rates (my wife
is a municipal worker), plus they had a thing where you stay 3 stays,
with one being at different tier (i.e. Best Western Plus), and earn a
certificate for a free might. We got one on my, and one on my wife's
card. We used Groupon, Restaurant.com and Entertainment discounts.
We just used those two nights in Chicago, where we used a few more
Restaurant.com certificates. I'd like to compliment one of the
restaurants:
Petite Pita
3952 N Sheridan
Chicago, IL 60616

> Gary

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 15:50:39 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 07:30:40 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>> > wrote:

>>>That's the problem. There are hardly any mom and pop independent
>>>restaurants anymore due to the MalWartization of the culture. It's all
>>>chains and CrapFood places now. The regional new and different are
>>>being eaten by the Ownership Class and their multibillion$$ pig
>>>troughs!!
>>>
>>>John Kuthe...

>> Who's fault is that? Howard Johnson started it but people's
>> preferences eventually brought in McDonalds and the rest along the
>> highway. I don't blame the businesses, but the lack of taste of the
>> consumer that will go to a fast food place rather than the local
>> sandwich shop or diner.
>>
>> Some of that is because at KFC or BK you pretty much know what you'll
>> get, but at Dad's Diner, it is a crap shoot.

>True enough. But it's often a wonderful crap shoot! I remember having
>breakfast at a little diner in Illinois. I ordered a spinach/cheese omelet.
>I was very surprised when the server came back and said the cook had some
>brie, would I like that in my omelet? Absolutely!
>
>If you have the option of taking the scenic route and go through smaller
>towns you'll find more mom & pop type places. Ask the folks at the
>hotel/motel for recommendations on non-chain eateries. They're usually
>quite helpful in that regard. Of course if it's lunch time and you're still
>on the road you're on your own. Then again, if you stop for gas just ask
>someone who works there.
>
>Jill

On a road trip I avoid independant eateries like the plague and chain
eateries too. I much prefer truck stops and stupidmarkets... I don't
need to have my trip ruined by food poisoning. Now by a road trip I'm
not talking a four hour drive to visit a relative (I wouldn't stop for
much more than a pit stop for fuel and toilet... I'm talking several
days driving, my first choice is a stupidmarket for groceries and then
the next roadside rest stop... a build it myself sandwich, a piece of
fruit, and a bran muffin is fine, I don't want to eat a heavy meal on
a long drive anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 5, 10:54*pm, Sky > wrote:

I don't know if you watch Diners Drive Ins and Dives but he's visited
some really great places in all those cities.

You might go on Food Network.com and check out locations in those area
from that show.

I've always wanted to do a road trip and visit some of the places that
interested me from that show.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > ha scritto nel messaggio

Don't remember ever seeing any giant teepee. Too busy trying not to
catch the next red.

Maybe it too was a victim of the clean up. I haven't done that drive in
decades.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 1/6/2012 2:58 PM, Kent wrote:

>> "Sky" wrote in message 1/6/2012 12:54 AM

>>> "Recommendations/Requests & Suggestions" (R/R & S) for places to dine
>>> while en route during a long road trip ;D R/R & S for motel/hotel stays
>>> would also be welcomed, especially the sort that are _very_ inexpensive
>>> - I did not say "cheap" (cheap cheap!)! ;D Please also include
>>> information about places to avoid!!!!! That's just as important to know,
>>> too - know what I mean??? :>

(Snip)
>>> The cities and places of interest and points in between will/might
>>> include:
>>>
>>> Indianapolis IN, Cincinnati OH, Louisville KY,
>>> Frankfort KY, Lexington KY, Nashville TN,
>>> Knoxville TN, Chattanooga TN, Atlanta GA,
>>> Macon GA, Valdosta GA, Savannah GA,
>>> Spartanburg SC, Columbia SC,& Orangeburg SC

> We've always take Michael and Jane Stern's "Roadfood" book with us on a road
> trip.
> http://www.amazon.com/Roadfood-Coast...5883361&sr=1-1
> And, I always take my laptop and go to yelp.com
>
> Have a good trip,

Thanks so much Spouse and I will have our laptops on hand to connect
with wifi 'stations' when we have to make 'pit stops'. The "Roadfood"
book you've recommended has been requested from the local library, and
it will be ready for checkout within the next few days ;> That book
will come in handy, along with all the various tour guides, maps & such
I picked up from the local AAA (American Automobile Association) office.
Even if we don't make the journey, all that 'documentation' will make
interesting reading

Thankfully - IF(!?) this trip pans out for us - there won't be any time
constraints set in stone for our journey - Whew! Taking the back roads
is nearly almost always more 'entertaining' than driving the awfully
boring and sterile USA interstate highways (BIG YAWN!), that is, when
time & costs allow - sometimes the luxury of a back-road "detour" is not
always an option.

Thanks again,

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 1/7/2012 9:23 AM, Kalmia wrote:

> On Jan 6, 1:54 am, Sky wrote:

>> "Recommendations/Requests & Suggestions" (R/R & S) for places to dine
>> while en route during a long road trip ;D R/R & S for motel/hotel stays
>> would also be welcomed, especially the sort that are _very_ inexpensive
>> - I did not say "cheap" (cheap cheap!)! ;D Please also include
>> information about places to avoid!!!!! That's just as important to know,
>> too - know what I mean??? :>

(snip)

> If time permits, stay off the interstates. Cruise the old routes, see
> small towns and find interesting independent restos. Skip the chains
> restos - you'll get nothing new and different otherwise.

Yep, that's something Spouse and I hope to do if we can manage this
journey - get off the interstates and take some of the 'old' highways
that go through all the "podunk" towns & more Although that means
burning more gasoline (sigh). USA Interstate highways are so boring and
sterile they become hypnotic & worse, especially if one has to drive in
the dark of night.

If we go, Spouse and I plan on cheap breakfasts (think 'sausage biscuit'
to-go sort of thing) and whatever on-the-fly for lunch. We've always
taken snacks & such with us - things like popcorn, chex-mix, crispix,
crackers, etc. Of course, there's always the obligatory cooler with
ice, soda-pop & such, sometimes with handy home-made sandwiches (usually
ham & cheese, etc.).

Sky, who's lived in 'podunk' towns before <VBG!>

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 1/7/2012 7:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Side roads will add considerable time though, if that is a
> consideration, but you get a much better tour of the towns. We often
> take the highway to a given point and then get off the interstate.
> That is when our trip truly starts, meandering the back roads and
> touring the small town Main Street.

That's the fun part Taking the back roads, but that's only if time &
costs allow. And you're right - taking the back roads definitely will
add time, mileage, and fuel & other costs.

Sky, who just loves the 'cruise control' feature!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 1/7/2012 9:55 AM, Bryan wrote:

> On Jan 6, 12:54 am, Sky wrote:

>> "Recommendations/Requests & Suggestions" (R/R & S) for places to dine
>> while en route during a long road trip ;D R/R & S for motel/hotel stays
>> would also be welcomed, especially the sort that are _very_ inexpensive
>> - I did not say "cheap" (cheap cheap!)! ;D Please also include
>> information about places to avoid!!!!! That's just as important to know,
>> too - know what I mean??? :>
>>
>> Within the next month or so, it seems there may be a possible
>> opportunity (knock on wood!) for Spouse and me to take a long road-trip
>> to visit DS and his family.

(snip)

>> I'll knock on wood, again, a few more times In the meantime, I
>> thought I'd try to get all my 'ducks in a row' and have any information
>> on hand y'all want to share<G> ;D TIA!

> You will be passing through Dalton, GA. Here's a great Mexican
> restaurant:
> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Braser...50470664975421
> I just uploaded a pic of it to my Flickr site:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/3617818...in/photostream
>
> Here's a DO NOT eat at: Joe Bear's BBQ in Macon.
>
> I can also recommend a hotel just north of Atlanta that was very nice
> and reasonably priced:
> http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...ertyCode=11126
>
> You should consider joining either Best Western Rewards or Choice
> Hotels' frequent stay club. Both sometimes offer really good bonuses,
> especially in the Summer, offers like stay three times and get a
> certificate for one free night.
>
> If you take two day to drive, you'd probably want to stay at a Motel
> 6, because they are cheap, and great if all you need is a place to
> sleep, shower and be on your way, but we like to have shorter drives
> and be able to enjoy the accommodations. This BW is on the way too,
> and very nice. Their pool rocks: http://bestwesterntennessee.com/hote...us-white-house

Thanks for your recommendations! If possible, Spouse and I will check
out that Mexican restaurant in Dalton, but there's no telling if we'll
even get there. And thanks for the 'do not visit' heads-up about Joe
Bear's BBQ in Macon, that means a lot!

Thankfully, we've been members of AAA for many, many years, and their
discounts and services are pretty good - we've never been dissatisfied
with their services. But regardless of AAA's good services, there's no
substitution for 'word of mouth' recommendations and referrals!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 1/7/2012 11:17 AM, zxcvbob wrote:
> Stop for barbecue at Owensboro, KY. The name of the place is
> Moon-something.

Moon-something BBQ at Owensboro KY is now on the list Hopefully it
won't go by in the blink of the eye, literally! Thanks for the
recommendation.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 1/7/2012 1:25 PM, Gary wrote:

>> On Jan 6, 12:54 am, Sky wrote:

>>> "Recommendations/Requests& Suggestions" (R/R& S) for places to dine
>>> while en route during a long road trip ;D R/R& S for motel/hotel stays
>>> would also be welcomed, especially the sort that are _very_ inexpensive
>>> - I did not say "cheap" (cheap cheap!)! ;D

> If you aren't already a member of AARP, consider joining. The annual fee is
> fairly cheap. I joined when I turned 50 but most of the coupons/deals were
> for really retired ppl that like to travel. They offered lots of good deals
> for travelers...nothing for me so I didn't resubscribe.

Yep Already a member of AAA. Definitely comes in handy, and more!!!!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 1/7/2012 2:49 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Jan 6, 1:54 am, > wrote:
>> "Recommendations/Requests& Suggestions" (R/R& S) for places to dine
>> while en route during a long road trip ;D R/R& S for motel/hotel stays
>> would also be welcomed, especially the sort that are _very_ inexpensive
>> - I did not say "cheap" (cheap cheap!)! ;D Please also include
>> information about places to avoid!!!!! That's just as important to know,
>> too - know what I mean??? :>

(snip)

>> The cities and places of interest and points in between will/might include:
>>
>> Indianapolis IN, Cincinnati OH, Louisville KY,
>> Frankfort KY, Lexington KY, Nashville TN,
>> Knoxville TN, Chattanooga TN, Atlanta GA,
>> Macon GA, Valdosta GA, Savannah GA,
>> Spartanburg SC, Columbia SC,& Orangeburg SC
>>
>> (Charleston SC is not an optional detour, dang it)

(snip)

> If you are going to be in Jacksonville, spend a day up the coast in
> Fernandina Beach. Interesting old town, waterfront, take the boat
> over to spot the wild equine inhabitants.

Thanks I've put "Fernandina Beach" on the list of possible things to do.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 1/7/2012 3:32 PM, Bryan wrote:
> On Jan 7, 1:25 pm, > wrote:
>> Bryan wrote:

>> If you aren't already a member of AARP, consider joining. The annual fee is
>> fairly cheap. I joined when I turned 50 but most of the coupons/deals were
>> for really retired ppl that like to travel. They offered lots of good deals
>> for travelers...nothing for me so I didn't resubscribe.

> The AAA discount is just as large as the AARP one on Best Western and
> Amtrak.

Spouse and I've been members of AAA for many years. It's definitely a
service that's worthwhile to have, too. Use it once a year or even
less, it usually pays for itself. Be aware however - AAA might and will
suspend one's membership if their 'privileges' have been "abused" too
often, e.g., too many 'tows' or calls per year, that sort of thing.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 1/7/2012 6:26 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Jan 5, 10:54 pm, > wrote:
>
> I don't know if you watch Diners Drive Ins and Dives but he's visited
> some really great places in all those cities.
>
> You might go on Food Network.com and check out locations in those area
> from that show.
>
> I've always wanted to do a road trip and visit some of the places that
> interested me from that show.

There was a 'marathon' of D^3 shows yesterday & last night on one of the
'food' networks on DISH TV (channels 110 or 113). I made sure to watch
a lot of them (again), but none hit the spots, geographically speaking.
Oh well :/ Good idea though

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 03:51:23 -0600, Sky >
wrote:

>If we go, Spouse and I plan on cheap breakfasts (think 'sausage biscuit'
>to-go sort of thing) and whatever on-the-fly for lunch. We've always
>taken snacks & such with us - things like popcorn, chex-mix, crispix,
>crackers, etc. Of course, there's always the obligatory cooler with
>ice, soda-pop & such, sometimes with handy home-made sandwiches (usually
>ham & cheese, etc.).

IMO, breakfast is one of the most overpriced meals you can get on the
road. Too often I'll walk away thinking "it really was not so great
for $20+ for two". Lunch on the road if often a quickie, but lunch
once we are at destination is often our big meal of the day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2012 3:51 AM, Sky wrote:
> If we go, Spouse and I plan on cheap breakfasts (think 'sausage biscuit'
> to-go sort of thing) and whatever on-the-fly for lunch. We've always
> taken snacks & such with us - things like popcorn, chex-mix, crispix,
> crackers, etc. Of course, there's always the obligatory cooler with
> ice, soda-pop & such, sometimes with handy home-made sandwiches (usually
> ham & cheese, etc.).

We do this frequently. McDonald's (yes, I said McDonald's) has those
sausage biscuits for $1... that ans some coffee make a cheap breakfast
while you are on the road and you can still keep traveling while you eat.

We usually leave on a trip with a cooler full of drinks and
sandwiches... enough at least for the first day. After a cruise and
weare faced with a long drive home, we'll stop at a store and get cold
cuts, bread, sodas and snacks and make our own as we go along. Better
yet, if we are in Florida, we go to Publix and have them make us some
sandwiches. We'll stop at a roadside picnic area to eat.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 1/7/2012 9:23 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>
>> On Jan 6, 1:54 am, Sky wrote:

>>> "Recommendations/Requests & Suggestions" (R/R & S) for places to dine
>>> while en route during a long road trip ;D R/R & S for motel/hotel stays
>>> would also be welcomed, especially the sort that are _very_ inexpensive
>>> - I did not say "cheap" (cheap cheap!)! ;D Please also include
>>> information about places to avoid!!!!! That's just as important to know,
>>> too - know what I mean??? :>

>(snip)
>
>> If time permits, stay off the interstates. Cruise the old routes, see
>> small towns and find interesting independent restos. Skip the chains
>> restos - you'll get nothing new and different otherwise.

>Yep, that's something Spouse and I hope to do if we can manage this
>journey - get off the interstates and take some of the 'old' highways
>that go through all the "podunk" towns & more Although that means
>burning more gasoline (sigh). USA Interstate highways are so boring and
>sterile they become hypnotic & worse, especially if one has to drive in
>the dark of night.

You definitely don't want to drive the back roads at night... I avoid
driving the roads where I live from dusk to dawn. I don't know where
you live but the interstates at either coast between the large heavily
populated cities can be boring but they are wonderfully scenic
throughout the central/rural regions of the US.

>If we go, Spouse and I plan on cheap breakfasts (think 'sausage biscuit'
>to-go sort of thing) and whatever on-the-fly for lunch.

It's much less expensive to order the breakfast specials from
stupidmarket delis, the food is fresher, the facility cleaner, and
service is much faster, restos waste a lot of your traveling time...
and there are almost always tables and chairs off to a corner... there
are clean rest rooms and while you're there you can shop for lunch and
for whatever supplies you may need, saving you another stop... I would
usually order my breakfat to go and once outside of town look for the
first rest stop. I don't know about you but when on vacation I don't
want to spend six hours out of every day sitting in restos, then I may
as well have stayed home.

>We've always
>taken snacks & such with us - things like popcorn, chex-mix, crispix,
>crackers, etc. Of course, there's always the obligatory cooler with
>ice, soda-pop & such, sometimes with handy home-made sandwiches (usually
>ham & cheese, etc.).
>
>Sky, who's lived in 'podunk' towns before <VBG!>

It's really not a good idea to eat heavy foods while on a road trip,
especially don't risk an unknown eatery, on a road trip is not the
time to experiment with food... wait until you reach your destination
to pig out. On long distance drives it's far safer to travel with an
ice chest and replenish at stupidmarkets. You miss nothing by passing
by the greasy spoons other than risk losing three days of your trip
suffering gastrointestinal distress, and you might even spend your
trip driving a hospital bed. Driving the back roads with out of state
plates greatly increases the odds of traffic citations... I see no
reason there shouldn't be a national license plate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 07:43:51 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 03:51:23 -0600, Sky >
>wrote:
>

>>If we go, Spouse and I plan on cheap breakfasts (think 'sausage biscuit'
>>to-go sort of thing) and whatever on-the-fly for lunch. We've always
>>taken snacks & such with us - things like popcorn, chex-mix, crispix,
>>crackers, etc. Of course, there's always the obligatory cooler with
>>ice, soda-pop & such, sometimes with handy home-made sandwiches (usually
>>ham & cheese, etc.).

>IMO, breakfast is one of the most overpriced meals you can get on the
>road. Too often I'll walk away thinking "it really was not so great
>for $20+ for two". Lunch on the road if often a quickie, but lunch
>once we are at destination is often our big meal of the day.

On road trips big breakfasts are a very bad idea, an hour down the
road you'd be struggling to keep awake. I'd have coffee in my motel
room and then drive for about an hour before having breakfast, stop at
a stupidmarket deli for the 99¢ egg on a roll, get some fresh fruit,
and a package of muffins... half the time a bowl of raisin bran and a
banana suffices. I always traveled with a small ice chest, in fact
it's in my car still. I've driven cross country countless times,
rarely did I stop at restos, At home you can patronize all teh grasy
spoons and never have a problem, it's only on a long road trip when in
the middle of nowhere when you'll have to spend a day or trhree
sitting on the throne. I also traveled with one of those $1.99 Cheap
Johns pie plate grills, made some of the best dinners ever, most every
Super 8 away from big cities has a designated picnic area, many even
have permanent grills; slap slabs of potato, thick slices of onion,
half tomatoes, and a couple of thick pork chops on the fire, a bottle
of vino or a quart of icy Colt 45, and no resto compares.