Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Texas Tech Study Measures Food Safety in Popular Cooking Shows"

"Texas Tech Study Measures Food Safety in Popular Cooking Shows"

http://today.ttu.edu/2008/09/texas-t...s-food-safety-
in-popular-cooking-shows/

OR http://preview.tinyurl.com/5e867p

QUOTED BELOW:

Finger-licking cooking is one thing, but finger-licking cooks?

Written by Norman Martin

Researchers analyzed 49 Food Network episodes airing over a two-
week period.

While the masterful chefs of the highly-popular Food Network cook
up plenty of finger-licking-good food, a new Texas Tech University
study on food safety measures suggests that it’s not a good idea
for some of their stars to actually lick their fingers while
cooking the grub.

These days fewer Americans learn how to cook during childhood or
high school. High schools have scaled back on offering consumer
science or what was traditionally known as home economics.
TV Dinners

Many people learn how to cook by watching these highly popular and
entertaining cooking shows, said Erica Irlbeck, an instructor in
the Department of Agricultural Education and Communications.

Last year researchers set out to determine the scope of the
televised food safety problem by studying Food Networks’ heavy
hitters: 30 Minute Meals with Rachael Ray, The Essence of Emeril,
Everyday Italian, Paula’s Home Cooking and Semi Homemade Cooking
with Sandra Lee. The Food Network is distributed to more than 85
million households in the United States and is considered the giant
in food programming, ranked number one out of 50 cable channels.

Rating the Shows

Researchers analyzed 49 shows airing over a two-week period and
used 17 different coded categories: six positive and 11 negative.
Positive categories included hand washing, cleaning equipment,
washing fruits and vegetables, adequate refrigeration, and use of a
thermometer.

Negative behaviors included food from unsafe sources, failure to
use a thermometer, use of food from the floor, failure to
refrigerate perishables, failure to wash fruits or vegetables,
inadequately washing equipment, sampling food or licking fingers,
cross contamination of ready-to-eat or raw foods, and touching the
face.

The results weren’t exactly savory with 118 positive food safety
measures and 460 poor food handling incidents. Among the most
noticeable culprits were not washing fruits, vegetables and herbs
properly and a lack of hand washing in general.

These are important behaviors because if they are not followed, you
can become ill, said Mindy Brashears, associate professor and
director of the International Center for Food Industry Excellence
at Texas Tech. Many food borne illnesses can be prevented by proper
food handling and that’s why it’s important these popular stars
follow good food safety practices.

Picking Up the Tab

Food borne illnesses are costly. The World Health Organization
estimates major pathogens can create up to $35 billion annually in
medical costs and lost productivity.

We realize these are time-limited entertainment programs and not
documentaries, but some food safety behaviors could be better
incorporated, said Cindy Akers, associate professor and director of
the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources Student
Services Center.

For example, at the end of a segment the host could say, ‘We’re
going to take a break now, and I’m going to wash my hands. You
should always wash your hands after handling raw meat.’ Another way
to boost food safety would be to add post-production pop-up
graphics containing pertinent safety information, Akers said.

For the record, 30 Minute Meals and Semi-Homemade Cooking with
Sandra Lee virtually tied for having the most positive behaviors at
the time the programs were aired last year. The worst was Paula’s
Home Cooking, in part for her affinity for licking her fingers more
than 20 times while preparing her down-home favorites. On the other
hand, Paula Deen demonstrated sampling food properly more than any
of the others.

The researchers noted that they were frequently asked ‘who was the
safest or least-safe host on the Food Network.’ Their response,
there’s not really a fair way to name one person as best or worst.
For example, one show had the most positive observations, yet it
also had the second-highest negatives.

Story produced by the Office of Communications and Marketing, (806)
742-2136.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sandi" > wrote

> "Texas Tech Study Measures Food Safety in Popular Cooking Shows"
>
> http://today.ttu.edu/2008/09/texas-t...s-food-safety-
> in-popular-cooking-shows/
>
> OR http://preview.tinyurl.com/5e867p

Thanks, sandi, that was interesting and amusing. I don't
look for it, but sometimes it's hard not to notice the little
faux pas on the shows.

And I make them, too, sometimes.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> For the record, 30 Minute Meals and Semi-Homemade Cooking with
> Sandra Lee virtually tied for having the most positive behaviors at
> the time the programs were aired last year. The worst was Paula’s
> Home Cooking, in part for her affinity for licking her fingers more
> than 20 times while preparing her down-home favorites.

It's obvious that they didn't test Robin Miller. She could do more
than 460 negative actions in one half hour alone. It's disgusting.

OTOH, to include Emeril in the study isn't really fair, since he's
going to appear only on the Fine Living Network with new shows, isn't
that right?

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> "sandi" > wrote
>
>> "Texas Tech Study Measures Food Safety in Popular Cooking
>> Shows"
>>
>> http://today.ttu.edu/2008/09/texas-t...asures-food-sa
>> fety- in-popular-cooking-shows/
>>
>> OR http://preview.tinyurl.com/5e867p

> Thanks, sandi, that was interesting and amusing. I don't
> look for it, but sometimes it's hard not to notice the little
> faux pas on the shows.
>
> And I make them, too, sometimes.
>
> nancy

I make many!

Just fun reading!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote in
:

> sandi >
> - secrets.com: in
> rec.food.cooking
>
>> "Texas Tech Study Measures Food Safety in Popular Cooking
>> Shows"
>>
>> http://today.ttu.edu/2008/09/texas-t...asures-food-sa
>> fety- in-popular-cooking-shows/
>>
>> OR http://preview.tinyurl.com/5e867p

> That was a fun article to read and thanks for posting it.
> Well, I'd probably not get the highest score either. I am
> sanitary but I'm a notorious finger licker =)
>
> Michael

You're welcome.

I'm a spoon sipper and spoon reuser.
But there's only me to pass along my germs to. ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote in

s.com:

>> For the record, 30 Minute Meals and Semi-Homemade Cooking
>> with Sandra Lee virtually tied for having the most positive
>> behaviors at the time the programs were aired last year. The
>> worst was Paula’s Home Cooking, in part for her affinity for
>> licking her fingers more than 20 times while preparing her
>> down-home favorites.

> It's obvious that they didn't test Robin Miller. She could do
> more than 460 negative actions in one half hour alone. It's
> disgusting.
>
> OTOH, to include Emeril in the study isn't really fair, since
> he's going to appear only on the Fine Living Network with new
> shows, isn't that right?
>
> N.

I have no clue as to Emerils shows. (I don't have cable.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi > wrote:

> Among the most
> noticeable culprits were not washing fruits, vegetables and herbs
> properly and a lack of hand washing in general.

While I'm not fond of FoodTV any more, one would assume that the
veggies and herb were pre-washed as TV air time is too expensive to
watch people was fruits and veggies thoroughly. Same goes for the
hands.

I think most of the shows on FoodTV should include the disclaimer:

"These are not professionals. Do not attempt anything you see here
at home in your kitchen."

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> sandi > wrote:
>
>> Among the most
>> noticeable culprits were not washing fruits, vegetables and herbs
>> properly and a lack of hand washing in general.

> While I'm not fond of FoodTV any more, one would assume that the
> veggies and herb were pre-washed as TV air time is too expensive to
> watch people was fruits and veggies thoroughly. Same goes for the
> hands.

Rachael Ray often makes the point that she washes *all* of her
veggies/fruits as soon as she brings them home from the store. Or at least
she used to, I haven't watched her show any time in recent memory.

> I think most of the shows on FoodTV should include the disclaimer:
>
> "These are not professionals. Do not attempt anything you see here
> at home in your kitchen."

LOL! Too true too often.

TammyM