Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What measuring cup to get?

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:27:36 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>J. Clarke wrote:
>> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
>> don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another one
>> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
>> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
>> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

>I like the sets of nesting stainless measuring cups. They makes it so
>much easier to measure quarters, thirds, half cups etc. I also like to
>use my 2 cup Pryrex for larger amounts, especially liquids because there
>is room to add other things, like wet ingredients where an egg and/or
>oil is required.

I was under the impression the pyrex was only for wet measures and for
dry you needed plastic or SS. Was I mis-informed?

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:27:36 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>J. Clarke wrote:
>>> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
>>> don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another one
>>> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
>>> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
>>> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

>>I like the sets of nesting stainless measuring cups. They makes it so
>>much easier to measure quarters, thirds, half cups etc. I also like to
>>use my 2 cup Pryrex for larger amounts, especially liquids because there
>>is room to add other things, like wet ingredients where an egg and/or
>>oil is required.

> I was under the impression the pyrex was only for wet measures and for
> dry you needed plastic or SS. Was I mis-informed?
>
> Lou

Where do I turn myself in?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 12:46*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:27:36 -0400, Dave Smith
>
> > wrote:
> >J. Clarke wrote:
> >> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
> >> don't remember when I got it. *Was about to go out and get another one
> >> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
> >> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
> >> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

> >I like the sets of nesting stainless measuring cups. They makes it so
> >much easier to measure quarters, thirds, half cups etc. I also like to
> >use my 2 cup Pryrex for larger amounts, especially liquids because there
> >is room to add other things, like wet ingredients where an egg and/or
> >oil is required.

> I was under the impression the pyrex was only for wet measures and for
> dry you needed plastic or SS. *Was I mis-informed?

If you have a steady hand (or if "close enough" is close enough), you
can
use the "dry" cups for liquids. I do it all the time. (Just don't
tell
my Home Ec teacher.)

Using the "wet" cup for, e.g., flour is too much work. But they're
fine for nuts or chocolate chips. If you put too much in, you can
eat the overage.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
>Dave Smith wrote:
>>J. Clarke wrote:
>>>
>>> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
>>> don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another one
>>> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
>>> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
>>> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

>>I like the sets of nesting stainless measuring cups. They makes it so
>>much easier to measure quarters, thirds, half cups etc. I also like to
>>use my 2 cup Pryrex for larger amounts, especially liquids because there
>>is room to add other things, like wet ingredients where an egg and/or
>>oil is required.

>I was under the impression the pyrex was only for wet measures and for
>dry you needed plastic or SS. Was I mis-informed?

A dry cup and a liquid cup are exactly the same volume. Dry measures
make it easier to skim off any extra is all. I don't need a measure
for less than a D cup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 9:46*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:27:36 -0400, Dave Smith
>
> > wrote:
> >J. Clarke wrote:
> >> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
> >> don't remember when I got it. *Was about to go out and get another one
> >> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
> >> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
> >> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

> >I like the sets of nesting stainless measuring cups. They makes it so
> >much easier to measure quarters, thirds, half cups etc. I also like to
> >use my 2 cup Pryrex for larger amounts, especially liquids because there
> >is room to add other things, like wet ingredients where an egg and/or
> >oil is required.

> I was under the impression the pyrex was only for wet measures and for
> dry you needed plastic or SS. *Was I mis-informed?

depends if you like to measure by leveling or by eyeballing. An ounce
is an ounce either way.

Measuring how much leaf to use Square Peg Tea 9 15-09-2008 02:12 PM
Measuring My Meat phaeton General Cooking 10 30-01-2008 09:44 AM
Measuring cup or scale? Jeanne[_3_] General Cooking 73 31-12-2007 05:08 PM
Measuring density Robert Winemaking 2 20-10-2005 10:48 PM
48 CC measuring cup Dee Randall Cooking Equipment 4 08-02-2004 01:51 PM