Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What measuring cup to get?

Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another one
when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 10:46*am, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
> don't remember when I got it. *Was about to go out and get another one
> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

For liquids, Pyrex can't be beat .... for dry ingredients, I like my
stainless steel ones that are 1/8C up to 2C, and all measures
inbetween, more or less. Pricey but worth it.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:
> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
> don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another one
> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

I like the sets of nesting stainless measuring cups. They makes it so
much easier to measure quarters, thirds, half cups etc. I also like to
use my 2 cup Pryrex for larger amounts, especially liquids because there
is room to add other things, like wet ingredients where an egg and/or
oil is required.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2010 12:27 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> J. Clarke wrote:
>> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long
>> I don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another
>> one when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy
>> measuring cups in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements
>> over the ordinary Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

> I like the sets of nesting stainless measuring cups. They makes it so
> much easier to measure quarters, thirds, half cups etc. I also like to
> use my 2 cup Pryrex for larger amounts, especially liquids because there
> is room to add other things, like wet ingredients where an egg and/or
> oil is required.

I knew I should have specified liquid measure but figured everyone would
assume it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:13:25 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>On Apr 29, 10:46*am, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
>> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
>> don't remember when I got it. *Was about to go out and get another one
>> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
>> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
>> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

>For liquids, Pyrex can't be beat .... for dry ingredients, I like my
>stainless steel ones that are 1/8C up to 2C, and all measures
>inbetween, more or less. Pricey but worth it.

I agree with you 100%. I've got 1,2 and 4 cup pyrex cups and I've
never seen anything better. For the SS dry measuring cups; Cost Plus
World Market seems to have the best deals on them as well as measuring
spoons. You spend a bit more up-front but they'll last a lifetime.
The stuff at Cost Plus I've got has all been superb quality and a good
price. I got two sets of cooling racks there. Three per set and the
legs fold down and supports all six. They get used all the time and
after 10 years they look just like they did when I bought them.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:27:36 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>J. Clarke wrote:
>> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
>> don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another one
>> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
>> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
>> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

>I like the sets of nesting stainless measuring cups. They makes it so
>much easier to measure quarters, thirds, half cups etc. I also like to
>use my 2 cup Pryrex for larger amounts, especially liquids because there
>is room to add other things, like wet ingredients where an egg and/or
>oil is required.

I was under the impression the pyrex was only for wet measures and for
dry you needed plastic or SS. Was I mis-informed?

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
> don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another one
> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

Hard to say. It's all personal preferences. I like a glass one from one
cup on up because you use them for so many different times, one time you
need a one cupper, another time you need a four cup. As for less than a
cup, I like the small partial cup measurers, either in plastic or SS. They
hang there, and are easily accessible, and I know I'll be accurate where,
with the glass ones, sometimes you get it right, sometimes a little
more/less.

Besides, it's impossible to have too many widgets in the kitchen.

Steve

visit my site http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
> On 4/29/2010 12:27 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> J. Clarke wrote:
>>> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long
>>> I don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another
>>> one when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy
>>> measuring cups in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements
>>> over the ordinary Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

>> I like the sets of nesting stainless measuring cups. They makes it so
>> much easier to measure quarters, thirds, half cups etc. I also like to
>> use my 2 cup Pryrex for larger amounts, especially liquids because there
>> is room to add other things, like wet ingredients where an egg and/or
>> oil is required.

> I knew I should have specified liquid measure but figured everyone would
> assume it.

I use mine for whatever.......................

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:27:36 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>J. Clarke wrote:
>>> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
>>> don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another one
>>> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
>>> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
>>> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

>>I like the sets of nesting stainless measuring cups. They makes it so
>>much easier to measure quarters, thirds, half cups etc. I also like to
>>use my 2 cup Pryrex for larger amounts, especially liquids because there
>>is room to add other things, like wet ingredients where an egg and/or
>>oil is required.

> I was under the impression the pyrex was only for wet measures and for
> dry you needed plastic or SS. Was I mis-informed?
>
> Lou

Where do I turn myself in?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 12:46*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:27:36 -0400, Dave Smith
>
> > wrote:
> >J. Clarke wrote:
> >> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
> >> don't remember when I got it. *Was about to go out and get another one
> >> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
> >> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
> >> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

> >I like the sets of nesting stainless measuring cups. They makes it so
> >much easier to measure quarters, thirds, half cups etc. I also like to
> >use my 2 cup Pryrex for larger amounts, especially liquids because there
> >is room to add other things, like wet ingredients where an egg and/or
> >oil is required.

> I was under the impression the pyrex was only for wet measures and for
> dry you needed plastic or SS. *Was I mis-informed?

If you have a steady hand (or if "close enough" is close enough), you
can
use the "dry" cups for liquids. I do it all the time. (Just don't
tell
my Home Ec teacher.)

Using the "wet" cup for, e.g., flour is too much work. But they're
fine for nuts or chocolate chips. If you put too much in, you can
eat the overage.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"J. Clarke" > wrote:

> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
> don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another one
> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

The markings finally wore off mine. I replaced them with a set of 1C,
2C and 4C ones from Oxo. I like them You can read the measurements
from the side like the old glass ones and from the top while you are
pouring. They are also marked on one side with cup measurements and on
the other with ounces. Nice for lots of recipes I've been running into
lately that use ounces for liquids.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2010 1:23 PM, Steve B wrote:
> "J. > wrote in message
>>>

>>> I like the sets of nesting stainless measuring cups. They makes it so
>>> much easier to measure quarters, thirds, half cups etc. I also like to
>>> use my 2 cup Pryrex for larger amounts, especially liquids because there
>>> is room to add other things, like wet ingredients where an egg and/or
>>> oil is required.

>> I knew I should have specified liquid measure but figured everyone would
>> assume it.

> I use mine for whatever.......................

You can use either for either but it makes me work too hard.

The nesting cups are fine for measuring flour and the like--fill the cup
and sweep it off even--that doesn't work too well with a Pyrex cup.
While they work for liquids one needs a steadier hand than I sometimes
have to avoid spilling any--for that pyrex works better, fill to the
mark and it won't spill unless you're really clumsy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
>Dave Smith wrote:
>>J. Clarke wrote:
>>>
>>> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
>>> don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another one
>>> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
>>> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
>>> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

>>I like the sets of nesting stainless measuring cups. They makes it so
>>much easier to measure quarters, thirds, half cups etc. I also like to
>>use my 2 cup Pryrex for larger amounts, especially liquids because there
>>is room to add other things, like wet ingredients where an egg and/or
>>oil is required.

>I was under the impression the pyrex was only for wet measures and for
>dry you needed plastic or SS. Was I mis-informed?

A dry cup and a liquid cup are exactly the same volume. Dry measures
make it easier to skim off any extra is all. I don't need a measure
for less than a D cup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 2:39*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> I like the OXO. *It has a sort of diagonalized gauge
> that makes it easier to measure an exact amount.
> It is however plastic.
>
> http://www.kitchenniche.ca/2cup-meas...cup-p-484.html
>
> Steve

I have these in the 2 and 4 cup size and do like them for liquid
measurements. But the 2 cup size has begun to leak. Phooey, as they
are not cheap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
om...
> Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> I like the sets of nesting stainless measuring cups. They makes it so
>>> much easier to measure quarters, thirds, half cups etc. I also like to
>>> use my 2 cup Pryrex for larger amounts, especially liquids because there
>>> is room to add other things, like wet ingredients where an egg and/or
>>> oil is required.

>> I was under the impression the pyrex was only for wet measures and for
>> dry you needed plastic or SS. Was I mis-informed?

> I was certainly never under that impression. My mother always used Pyrex
> measuring cups. She had them in 1,2 and 3 <4?> cup sizes. A cup is a cup
> and when baking it is important to have accurate measurements. That is
> easier to do with liquids than with dry ingredients when using a large cup
> . It is hard enough to measure one cup of flour in a measuring cup when
> the 1 cup line is below the top of the cup. My biggest problem is when you
> have to measure a fraction of a cup of packed brown sugar. That is where
> the nesting stainless cups are especially handy.

But with scales, one never has these problems.
As for Pyrex measuring jugs, they must be the poorest pourers in the
business and after a few years will frost over if they are put in the
dishwasher.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> I agree with you 100%. I've got 1,2 and 4 cup pyrex cups and I've
> never seen anything better.

I just bought myself a new set of those last year. This is the
first time I've had a 2-cup pyrex and I didn't know how much
I'd use it. The 4-cup works as a little mixing bowl, too.

I need new dry measuring cups. I have plastic ones that are
flat and fit in the drawer. It's okay for the smaller measures
but I make a mess with the 1-cup.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

>> . It is hard enough to measure one cup of flour in a measuring cup when
>> the 1 cup line is below the top of the cup. My biggest problem is when you
>> have to measure a fraction of a cup of packed brown sugar. That is where
>> the nesting stainless cups are especially handy.
>>

> But with scales, one never has these problems.

True, but the recipes I have measure by volume not by weight.

> As for Pyrex measuring jugs, they must be the poorest pourers in the
> business and after a few years will frost over if they are put in the
> dishwasher.

I don't have problems pouring with them. I usually my baking utensils
by hand, the closest I get to cleaning up as I go. The measuring cup
rarely sees the inside of the dishwasher.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 11:46*am, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
> don't remember when I got it. *Was about to go out and get another one
> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

If you don't own a 2 cup-er, I'd suggest you get one. I use mine
probably five times to one on the one cupper.

I never caved in to buying the one with the slanted measuring
thingie.

I also own a 4 cup which is useful when making batters to pour or heat
large amount of water in microwave.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:46:11 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
>don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another one
>when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
>in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
>Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

Some great advice here. Here's my 2c.

I love the pyrex cups, but they don't pour well in some cases.

OTOH: Oxo makes a series of plastic cups with soft handles that have
angled measuring scales so you can see how much is in the cup from the
top.

Metal (S/S) cups are great, but they are Hell in the microwave.

So: I use all three. The ones I use least are the Pyrex types. If I
can't pour cleanly, I don't need it.

The OXO's are microwave safe, dishwasher safe and easy to read from
above. In my area, not cost prohibitive.

If I had to give up all except one line, I would opt for the OXO
product.

Just my 2Cents.

Alex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2010 1:56 PM, Marcella Peek wrote:
> In >,
> "J. > wrote:
>
>> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
>> don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another one
>> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
>> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
>> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

> The markings finally wore off mine. I replaced them with a set of 1C,
> 2C and 4C ones from Oxo. I like them You can read the measurements
> from the side like the old glass ones and from the top while you are
> pouring. They are also marked on one side with cup measurements and on
> the other with ounces. Nice for lots of recipes I've been running into
> lately that use ounces for liquids.

I ended up getting an Oxo. The 1 cup Pyrex they had was the same size
as and had the same markings as the lower half of the 2 cup, so there
wasn't any advantage to getting it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 2:36*pm, Chemiker > wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:46:11 -0400, "J. Clarke"
>
> > wrote:
> >Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
> >don't remember when I got it. *Was about to go out and get another one
> >when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
> >in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
> >Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

> Some great advice here. Here's my 2c.
>
> I love the pyrex cups, but they don't pour well in some cases.
>
> OTOH: Oxo makes a series of plastic cups with soft handles that have
> angled measuring scales so you can see how much is in the cup from the
> top.
>
> Metal (S/S) cups are great, but they are Hell in the microwave.
>
> So: I use all three. The ones I use least are the Pyrex types. If I
> can't pour cleanly, I don't need it.
>
> The OXO's *are microwave safe, dishwasher safe and easy to read from
> above. In my area, not cost prohibitive.
>
> If I had to give up all except one line, I would opt for the OXO
> product.
>
> Just my 2Cents.
>
> Alex

I have two 2 cup measuring cups, one pyrex, one plastic. I also have
an 8 cup pyrex one that's great for batters or marinating.

I don't see the point of a 1 cup measure.

Susan B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
> don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another one
> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

If you want real accuracy, get labware However the Pyrex ones are
good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:01:06 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>On 4/29/2010 1:23 PM, Steve B wrote:

>>> I knew I should have specified liquid measure but figured everyone would
>>> assume it.

>> I use mine for whatever.......................

>You can use either for either but it makes me work too hard.
>
>The nesting cups are fine for measuring flour and the like--fill the cup
>and sweep it off even--that doesn't work too well with a Pyrex cup.
>While they work for liquids one needs a steadier hand than I sometimes
>have to avoid spilling any--for that pyrex works better, fill to the
>mark and it won't spill unless you're really clumsy.

Dry measure cups are for amatures... no pro cook would be caught
using those silly dry measures... how embarrassing... for those who
haven't the experience to eyeball small amounts use measuring spoons,
but flour and dry ingredients more then a handful should be weighed.
Dry measure cups are really pretty silly, buy a scale instead, and you
don't need fancy schmancy unless you're one of those more into show
than go... Taylor sells a very decent utilitarian kitchen scale for
like $10.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"J. Clarke" > wrote:

> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

Not in my opinion. I have a 1 cup, 2 cup, 4 cup, and 8 cup Pyrex glass
cups. The big one gets the most use, the others about even with each
other.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2010 4:08 PM, graham wrote:
> "Dave > wrote in message
> om...

>>> I was under the impression the pyrex was only for wet measures and for
>>> dry you needed plastic or SS. Was I mis-informed?

>> I was certainly never under that impression. My mother always used Pyrex
>> measuring cups. She had them in 1,2 and 3<4?> cup sizes. A cup is a cup
>> and when baking it is important to have accurate measurements. That is
>> easier to do with liquids than with dry ingredients when using a large cup
>> . It is hard enough to measure one cup of flour in a measuring cup when
>> the 1 cup line is below the top of the cup. My biggest problem is when you
>> have to measure a fraction of a cup of packed brown sugar. That is where
>> the nesting stainless cups are especially handy.
>>

> But with scales, one never has these problems.
> As for Pyrex measuring jugs, they must be the poorest pourers in the
> business and after a few years will frost over if they are put in the
> dishwasher.

That's water hardness that causes the "etching".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2010 6:14 PM, sueb wrote:
> On Apr 29, 2:36 pm, > wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:46:11 -0400, "J. Clarke"
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
>>> don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another one
>>> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
>>> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
>>> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

>> Some great advice here. Here's my 2c.
>>
>> I love the pyrex cups, but they don't pour well in some cases.
>>
>> OTOH: Oxo makes a series of plastic cups with soft handles that have
>> angled measuring scales so you can see how much is in the cup from the
>> top.
>>
>> Metal (S/S) cups are great, but they are Hell in the microwave.
>>
>> So: I use all three. The ones I use least are the Pyrex types. If I
>> can't pour cleanly, I don't need it.
>>
>> The OXO's are microwave safe, dishwasher safe and easy to read from
>> above. In my area, not cost prohibitive.
>>
>> If I had to give up all except one line, I would opt for the OXO
>> product.
>>
>> Just my 2Cents.
>>
>> Alex

> I have two 2 cup measuring cups, one pyrex, one plastic. I also have
> an 8 cup pyrex one that's great for batters or marinating.
>
> I don't see the point of a 1 cup measure.

Easier to get the right amount of water in my grits in the morning,
consistently.

> Susan B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2010 6:53 PM, Arri London wrote:

> "J. Clarke" wrote:
>>
>> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
>> don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another one
>> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
>> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
>> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

> If you want real accuracy, get labware However the Pyrex ones are
> good.

Do you have a source for labware that's marked in ounces for a
reasonable price?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
> On 4/29/2010 4:08 PM, graham wrote:
>> "Dave > wrote in message
>> om...

>>> I was certainly never under that impression. My mother always used Pyrex
>>> measuring cups. She had them in 1,2 and 3<4?> cup sizes. A cup is a cup
>>> and when baking it is important to have accurate measurements. That is
>>> easier to do with liquids than with dry ingredients when using a large
>>> cup
>>> . It is hard enough to measure one cup of flour in a measuring cup when
>>> the 1 cup line is below the top of the cup. My biggest problem is when
>>> you
>>> have to measure a fraction of a cup of packed brown sugar. That is where
>>> the nesting stainless cups are especially handy.
>>>

>> But with scales, one never has these problems.
>> As for Pyrex measuring jugs, they must be the poorest pourers in the
>> business and after a few years will frost over if they are put in the
>> dishwasher.

> That's water hardness that causes the "etching".

More likely the dishwasher detergent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:27:36 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I like the sets of nesting stainless measuring cups. They makes it so
>much easier to measure quarters, thirds, half cups etc. I also like to
>use my 2 cup Pryrex for larger amounts, especially liquids because there
>is room to add other things, like wet ingredients where an egg and/or
>oil is required.

Years ago, before I learned to tell the difference between a
neighborhood social engagement and an invitation to a neighborhood
sales party, I bought a set of nesting Tupperware measuring cups, 1 C
- 1/3 C. It was the cheapest thing I could find to buy my way out the
door. Still have the damned things. It's very difficult to read the
measurement on the bottom of the cup and almost impossible to read the
measurement on the handle. I really need to cowboy up and throw the
things out, replace them with stainless. Tomorrow. Honest.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
> On 4/29/2010 6:53 PM, Arri London wrote:
>>

>> "J. Clarke" wrote:
>>>
>>> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
>>> don't remember when I got it. Was about to go out and get another one
>>> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
>>> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
>>> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

>> If you want real accuracy, get labware However the Pyrex ones are
>> good.

> Do you have a source for labware that's marked in ounces for a reasonable
> price?

Ikea has measuring jugs that mimic labware.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:52:20 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>On 4/29/2010 4:08 PM, graham wrote:
>> "Dave > wrote in message
>> om...

>>> I was certainly never under that impression. My mother always used Pyrex
>>> measuring cups. She had them in 1,2 and 3<4?> cup sizes. A cup is a cup
>>> and when baking it is important to have accurate measurements. That is
>>> easier to do with liquids than with dry ingredients when using a large cup
>>> . It is hard enough to measure one cup of flour in a measuring cup when
>>> the 1 cup line is below the top of the cup. My biggest problem is when you
>>> have to measure a fraction of a cup of packed brown sugar. That is where
>>> the nesting stainless cups are especially handy.
>>>

>> But with scales, one never has these problems.
>> As for Pyrex measuring jugs, they must be the poorest pourers in the
>> business and after a few years will frost over if they are put in the
>> dishwasher.

>That's water hardness that causes the "etching".

Actually it's the dishwashing compound that etches... hard water will
only coat with minerals, pretty easy to remove the minerals by
installing a water softener and continue washing with softened water.
Any glassware you don't want to become etched should be washed by
hand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kalmia > wrote:
>On Apr 29, 11:46=A0am, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
>> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
>> don't remember when I got it. =A0Was about to go out and get another one
>> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
>> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
>> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

>If you don't own a 2 cup-er, I'd suggest you get one. I use mine
>probably five times to one on the one cupper.
>
>I never caved in to buying the one with the slanted measuring
>thingie.
>
>I also own a 4 cup which is useful when making batters to pour or heat
>large amount of water in microwave.

I have Pyrex glass cups in 1, 2, 4 (several) and 8 cups. I use them all.
The 8 cup is excellent for a batch of Barb's Brownies, Bakesale Betty's
Lemon Bars (crust and filling), bread salad (cubes and tomatoes), and for
fruit for pies/crisps. Basically it's a bowl that lets me eyeball
quantities.

Charlotte
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:27:36 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>I like the sets of nesting stainless measuring cups. They makes it so
>>much easier to measure quarters, thirds, half cups etc. I also like to
>>use my 2 cup Pryrex for larger amounts, especially liquids because there
>>is room to add other things, like wet ingredients where an egg and/or
>>oil is required.

> Years ago, before I learned to tell the difference between a
> neighborhood social engagement and an invitation to a neighborhood
> sales party, I bought a set of nesting Tupperware measuring cups, 1 C
> - 1/3 C. It was the cheapest thing I could find to buy my way out the
> door. Still have the damned things. It's very difficult to read the
> measurement on the bottom of the cup and almost impossible to read the
> measurement on the handle. I really need to cowboy up and throw the
> things out, replace them with stainless. Tomorrow. Honest.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

It's worth it to invest in some good ones. I'm not sure who made mine, but
they're heavier weight than a lot of stainless sets out there. I like that
because it's harder to accidentally knock them over when they're full and
I'm futzing around with another ingredient. I also frequently use the one
cup one to melt butter with directly on the stove (usually for popcorn).

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "J. Clarke" > wrote:
>
>> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
>> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

> Not in my opinion. I have a 1 cup, 2 cup, 4 cup, and 8 cup Pyrex glass
> cups. The big one gets the most use, the others about even with each
> other.

I have those plus an additional 1 cup. They all get a lot of use,
as much for mixing small amounts of stuff or refrigerator storage
of things I don't want to store in plastic containers. They are stored
close to the stove, easy to reach. I am using Corningware casseroles
for storage more, too, now that they are more conveniently stored.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2010 9:07 PM, graham wrote:
> "J. > wrote in message
>> On 4/29/2010 4:08 PM, graham wrote:
>>> "Dave > wrote in message
>>> om...

>>> But with scales, one never has these problems.
>>> As for Pyrex measuring jugs, they must be the poorest pourers in the
>>> business and after a few years will frost over if they are put in the
>>> dishwasher.

>> That's water hardness that causes the "etching".
>>>

> More likely the dishwasher detergent.

Researching further I find that we're both right, kind of. The harder
the water the more detergent you need. In very soft water you can get
"etching" from excessive detergent and from too high a water temperature.

Personally I've never had a problem with it--when I was in college a got
a set of tall glasses with Pepsi-Cola labels painted (or somehow marked)
onto them. That was more than 30 years ago and they've worn out two
dishwashers--the labels are now white but the glass is still as clear as
ever.

While scales are useful, you seldom find recipes with quantities given
by weight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2010 9:31 PM, graham wrote:
> "J. > wrote in message

>>> If you want real accuracy, get labware However the Pyrex ones are
>>> good.

>> Do you have a source for labware that's marked in ounces for a reasonable
>> price?
>>

> Ikea has measuring jugs that mimic labware.

I don't see it on their Web site.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 11:46*am, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
> don't remember when I got it. *Was about to go out and get another one
> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

I also have a stainless, dry measure one cupper. I often use it to
melt butter on top of the toaster oven, if it's going. It came with a
set of pans, I think, decades ago, but I guess they are still
available.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>I have two 2 cup measuring cups, one pyrex, one plastic. I also have
>an 8 cup pyrex one that's great for batters or marinating.
>
>I don't see the point of a 1 cup measure.
>
>Susan B.

FE: Assemble 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 Tbs tarragon, 1/2 cup chicken
broth, nuke and pour into skillet for Chicken Picatta. Also useful for
measuring small volumes of odd-shaped stuff by the water displacement
method.

When setting up mise en place, I use a 1 cup measure for chopped
onion, celery, bell pepper, whatever. Often its 1/4 cup this, 1/3 cup
that, 1/2 cup of the other. Easier to use a 1 cup glass measure
repeatedly than a whole stack of S/S solid measures. Also useful for
mixing sacred things. like 1/4 cup dry vermouth, 1/2 cup dry sherry,
dash orange bitters, pour over ice like a martini. Strain into martini
glass. Drink. Repeat. DC al fine.

But that's my habit. YMMV. Enjoy.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 06:47:36 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Apr 29, 11:46*am, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
>> Just broke my 1 cup Fire-King measuring cup that I've have for so long I
>> don't remember when I got it. *Was about to go out and get another one
>> when it occurred to me that I'm seeing all kinds of fancy measuring cups
>> in the stores--are any of them worthwhile improvements over the ordinary
>> Pyrex/Fire King/whatever glass ones?

>I also have a stainless, dry measure one cupper. I often use it to
>melt butter on top of the toaster oven, if it's going. It came with a
>set of pans, I think, decades ago, but I guess they are still
>available.

They are. You can get sets that include 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 and 1 cup dry
measures. S/S and not too expensive. Also: OXO makes a 2 oz S/S
handleless measuring cup with the slanted read-from-above scale,
marked in 0.5 oz and 1 Tbs. increments. I imagine that might be handy
to bakers or cake decorators or some such..... I use mine rarely.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:08:42 -0600, graham wrote:

> But with scales, one never has these problems.
> As for Pyrex measuring jugs, they must be the poorest pourers in the
> business and after a few years will frost over if they are put in the
> dishwasher.

that's why you don't put them in the dishwasher. the markings will fade,
also.

your pal,
blake

Measuring how much leaf to use Square Peg Tea 9 15-09-2008 02:12 PM
Measuring My Meat phaeton General Cooking 10 30-01-2008 10:44 AM
Measuring cup or scale? Jeanne[_3_] General Cooking 73 31-12-2007 06:08 PM
Measuring density Robert Winemaking 2 20-10-2005 10:48 PM
48 CC measuring cup Dee Randall Cooking Equipment 4 08-02-2004 02:51 PM