Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Measuring My Meat

Funny title, serious question...

First off, I'll be the first to acknowledge that I'm overparanoid when
it comes to food-borne illness. I am aware that thousands of people eat
improperly cooked meats every day with only very rare instances of
anyone getting sick. And even rarer is the sickness anything /serious/.

Nonetheless, I have an instant-read meat thermometer (I can hear
everyone already going "here we go...."). I realize that you have to
measure the center of the thickest part of meat, avoiding fat or bone.
However, how *much* of the thermometer probe must be in the part that
you are measuring? Is it just the very tip? The first 3 inches? The
whole thing?

Reason I ask, is that I'm consistently cooking meat according to
instructions in recipes, and yet I'm consistently measuring it about
10-30 degrees (Fahrenheit) shy of the target temp. Boneless skinless
chicken breasts, meatloaves, you name it. Sometimes if I measure
something and it isn't to proper temp, I'll put it back in the oven.
Sometimes cooking it until it's hard as rubber, yet I rarely get the
correct temp to show up. Frustrating, wasteful and sad.

I just measured a pan of boiling water and it showed about 210F. Close
enough. Maybe my oven is off? I kind of doubt it, but it's possible.
Should I get a $6 oven thermometer to test a $600 oven?

I'm guessing that it's me who is doing something wrong.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

-phaeton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"phaeton" > wrote in message

> Nonetheless, I have an instant-read meat thermometer (I can hear everyone
> already going "here we go...."). I realize that you have to measure the
> center of the thickest part of meat, avoiding fat or bone. However, how
> *much* of the thermometer probe must be in the part that you are
> measuring? Is it just the very tip? The first 3 inches? The whole
> thing?

Just the tip, about 3/8" or so.

> Reason I ask, is that I'm consistently cooking meat according to
> instructions in recipes, and yet I'm consistently measuring it about 10-30
> degrees (Fahrenheit) shy of the target temp. Boneless skinless chicken
> breasts, meatloaves, you name it. Sometimes if I measure something and it
> isn't to proper temp, I'll put it back in the oven. Sometimes cooking it
> until it's hard as rubber, yet I rarely get the correct temp to show up.
> Frustrating, wasteful and sad.

If I understan you, the recipe says "cook xxx minutes a 350 degrees" and
after that time you are still shy of the desired temperature. Either you
want to go to high, or you are not up to temperature in the oven.

> I just measured a pan of boiling water and it showed about 210F. Close
> enough. Maybe my oven is off? I kind of doubt it, but it's possible.
> Should I get a $6 oven thermometer to test a $600 oven?
>
> I'm guessing that it's me who is doing something wrong.

Spend the 6 bucks. Many brand new ovens are off considerably.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

phaeton wrote:

> how *much* of the thermometer probe must be in the part that
> you are measuring? Is it just the very tip? The first 3 inches? The
> whole thing?
>
> Reason I ask, is that I'm consistently cooking meat according to
> instructions in recipes, and yet I'm consistently measuring it about
> 10-30 degrees (Fahrenheit) shy of the target temp..
>
> I just measured a pan of boiling water and it showed about 210F. Close
> enough. Maybe my oven is off? I kind of doubt it, but it's possible.
> Should I get a $6 oven thermometer to test a $600 oven?

I believe the temp sensor is in the last 1/2 inch or so of the tip.
I'd fight those inner demons of yours (and save your money for therapy)
and call 210 degrees good enough! Same with most meats. Remember that
meat doesn't start cooling the second you remove it from the heat. It
usually continues to rise in temp while resting out of the oven by
residual heat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> I go by actual temp or by feel depending on what I'm cooking.
> Some things - like chicken thighs in the oven, or braising on the
> stove I just know. But when I deep fry, I'll use the
> thermometer.
>
> -sw

Yeah, but are you gonna lose sleep over the diff between 210 and 212
degrees?
I sure wouldn't expend much energy on that. Unproductive waste of my
time, IMO.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

phaeton wrote:

> Funny title, serious question...

Best one today.

> First off, I'll be the first to acknowledge that I'm overparanoid when it
> comes to food-borne illness. I am aware that thousands of people eat
> improperly cooked meats every day with only very rare instances of anyone
> getting sick. And even rarer is the sickness anything /serious/.
>
> Nonetheless, I have an instant-read meat thermometer (I can hear everyone
> already going "here we go...."). I realize that you have to measure the
> center of the thickest part of meat, avoiding fat or bone. However, how
> *much* of the thermometer probe must be in the part that you are
> measuring? Is it just the very tip? The first 3 inches? The whole
> thing?

That's a good question, and it probably varies by make and model. I
always try to get at least an inch or an inch and a half in (stop it!).
If I'm making something thin where that's not possible, I'll go in from an
edge. You have to be careful with your aim, or you'll end up with the end
of the probe not in the middle of the thickness. But my readings seem to
match up well with expectations.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I don't think he was losing sleep over the 2 degree difference.
>
> -sw

He certainly was letting it take up too much space in his head if he was
worried about the two degree difference. IMO.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
phaeton > wrote:

> However, how *much* of the thermometer probe must be in the part that
> you are measuring? Is it just the very tip? The first 3 inches? The
> whole thing?

The manufacturer should be able to provide that information. It varies.

> Reason I ask, is that I'm consistently cooking meat according to
> instructions in recipes, and yet I'm consistently measuring it about
> 10-30 degrees (Fahrenheit) shy of the target temp. Boneless skinless
> chicken breasts, meatloaves, you name it. Sometimes if I measure
> something and it isn't to proper temp,

How long are you leaving it in the meat? Can you leave it in for a
minute?

> Should I get a $6 oven thermometer to test a $600 oven?

Only if you know the $6 thermometer is accurate. Ever bake cakes? Do
they bake done true to time and temp for recipe? That would be a clue
if your oven is off by a lot.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; check the second note and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > I go by actual temp or by feel depending on what I'm cooking.
> > Some things - like chicken thighs in the oven, or braising on the
> > stove I just know. But when I deep fry, I'll use the
> > thermometer.
> >
> > -sw

> Yeah, but are you gonna lose sleep over the diff between 210 and 212
> degrees? I sure wouldn't expend much energy on that. Unproductive
> waste of my time, IMO.

Hey, Goomba! He's not worried about the difference between 210 and 212
in a pan of boiling water; he's concerned about the 10-30 degrees he's
off: "Reason I ask, is that I'm consistently cooking meat according to
instructions in recipes, and yet I'm consistently measuring it about
10-30 degrees (Fahrenheit) shy of the target temp. ?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; check the second note and
tell me if you knowwhat it is.
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Hey, Goomba! He's not worried about the difference between 210 and 212
> in a pan of boiling water; he's concerned about the 10-30 degrees he's
> off: "Reason I ask, is that I'm consistently cooking meat according to
> instructions in recipes, and yet I'm consistently measuring it about
> 10-30 degrees (Fahrenheit) shy of the target temp. ?

Hey Melba! That's why I reminded him of residual heat as the meat rests.
He said he's leaving the meat in and it ends up overcooked next.
And he *did* mention the 2 degrees diff in the water too! LOL