Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default More fuel for the MSG controversies

Here's an article from Dr.Oz's Real Age website about MSG.

http://www.realage.com/tips/could-ms...your-waistline

There are articles linked within this article.

I think you could read everything both pro and con about MSG and still
not know for sure about anyththing. So...my take is, do what feels
right to you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:47:04 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:

> Here's an article from Dr.Oz's Real Age website about MSG.
>
> http://www.realage.com/tips/could-ms...your-waistline
>
> There are articles linked within this article.
>
> I think you could read everything both pro and con about MSG and still
> not know for sure about anyththing. So...my take is, do what feels
> right to you.

most of what you read 'con' is complete rubbish:

<http://www.salon.com/food/feature/2010/03/17/msg_huffington_post/index.html>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> Here's an article from Dr.Oz's Real Age website about MSG.
>

> http://www.realage.com/tips/could-ms...your-waistline
>
> There are articles linked within this article.
>
> I think you could read everything both pro and con about MSG and still
> not know for sure about anyththing. So...my take is, do what feels
> right to you.

People who use MSG in their cooking like the taste of food and therefore eat
too much.

People who don't use MSG in their cooking obviously lost their taste buds
and don't give a crap what food tastes like, Therefore they don't overeat.

;-)

--
Dimitri

Soon

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2010 1:36 PM, Dimitri wrote:
> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>> Here's an article from Dr.Oz's Real Age website about MSG.
>>

>> http://www.realage.com/tips/could-ms...your-waistline
>>
>> There are articles linked within this article.
>>
>> I think you could read everything both pro and con about MSG and still
>> not know for sure about anyththing. So...my take is, do what feels
>> right to you.
>>

> People who use MSG in their cooking like the taste of food and therefore
> eat too much.
>
> People who don't use MSG in their cooking obviously lost their taste
> buds and don't give a crap what food tastes like, Therefore they don't
> overeat.

The important things to know about it are whether you personally like it
and whether it gives you personally problems. The rest is hysterics by
loons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
> On 3/22/2010 1:36 PM, Dimitri wrote:
>> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>>> Here's an article from Dr.Oz's Real Age website about MSG.
>>>

>>> http://www.realage.com/tips/could-ms...your-waistline
>>>
>>> There are articles linked within this article.
>>>
>>> I think you could read everything both pro and con about MSG and still
>>> not know for sure about anyththing. So...my take is, do what feels
>>> right to you.
>>>

>> People who use MSG in their cooking like the taste of food and therefore
>> eat too much.
>>
>> People who don't use MSG in their cooking obviously lost their taste
>> buds and don't give a crap what food tastes like, Therefore they don't
>> overeat.

> The important things to know about it are whether you personally like it
> and whether it gives you personally problems. The rest is hysterics by
> loons.

I thought it was a communist plot -

:-)

--
Dimitri

Soon

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:

> The important things to know about it are whether you personally like it
> and whether it gives you personally problems. The rest is hysterics by
> loons.

I do notice that it enhances the flavor of foods, giving them that
"whole mouth" burst of flavor. It also makes my sinuses hurt and my nose
run within 1/2 hour of eating so I try very hard to stay away from it.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2010 5:28 PM, Dimitri wrote:
> "J. Clarke" > wrote in message

>>> People who use MSG in their cooking like the taste of food and therefore
>>> eat too much.
>>>
>>> People who don't use MSG in their cooking obviously lost their taste
>>> buds and don't give a crap what food tastes like, Therefore they don't
>>> overeat.

>> The important things to know about it are whether you personally like
>> it and whether it gives you personally problems. The rest is hysterics
>> by loons.

> I thought it was a communist plot -

Same difference. The Soviet Union was a case of the inmates taking over
the asylum.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
ImStillMags > wrote:

> Here's an article from Dr.Oz's Real Age website about MSG.
>

> http://www.realage.com/tips/could-ms...your-waistline
>
> There are articles linked within this article.
>
> I think you could read everything both pro and con about MSG and still
> not know for sure about anyththing. So...my take is, do what feels
> right to you.

I worry more about dad not eating at all than adding a little MSG to his
food...
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > writes:

> In article
> >,
> ImStillMags > wrote:
>
>> Here's an article from Dr.Oz's Real Age website about MSG.
>>

>> http://www.realage.com/tips/could-ms...your-waistline
>>
>> There are articles linked within this article.
>>
>> I think you could read everything both pro and con about MSG and still
>> not know for sure about anyththing. So...my take is, do what feels
>> right to you.

> I worry more about dad not eating at all than adding a little MSG to his
> food...

You expect us to believe that adding the MSG makes it so much more
appealing that he eats it as opposed to blanking it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Bogbrush > wrote:

> Omelet > writes:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > ImStillMags > wrote:
> >
> >> Here's an article from Dr.Oz's Real Age website about MSG.
> >>

> >> http://www.realage.com/tips/could-ms...your-waistline
> >>
> >> There are articles linked within this article.
> >>
> >> I think you could read everything both pro and con about MSG and still
> >> not know for sure about anyththing. So...my take is, do what feels
> >> right to you.

> > I worry more about dad not eating at all than adding a little MSG to his
> > food...

> You expect us to believe that adding the MSG makes it so much more
> appealing that he eats it as opposed to blanking it?

Actually, yes. It makes that big of a difference.
It seems to stimulate appetite. I understand that it's not uncommon!
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Dimitri" > posted on Mon,
22 Mar 2010 10:36:19 -0700 the following:

> People who use MSG in their cooking like the taste of food and therefore eat
> too much.
>
> People who don't use MSG in their cooking obviously lost their taste buds
> and don't give a crap what food tastes like, Therefore they don't overeat.

I used to joke that I was going to have to start doing something to make
my food taste like shit so I wouldn't eat so much.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Omelet > posted on Mon, 22
Mar 2010 18:24:08 -0600 the following:

> I worry more about dad not eating at all than adding a little MSG to his
> food...

What bugs me about MSG is its inclusion in chicken bouillon. I just
wonder why the hell it's there. Doesn't seem like "powdered chicken"
would need anything extra.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-22, Dimitri wrote:

> I thought it was a communist plot -

To sap our precious bodily fluids?

--
History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of
urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> In news:rec.food.cooking, "Dimitri" > posted on Mon,
> 22 Mar 2010 10:36:19 -0700 the following:
>
> > People who use MSG in their cooking like the taste of food and therefore
> > eat
> > too much.
> >
> > People who don't use MSG in their cooking obviously lost their taste buds
> > and don't give a crap what food tastes like, Therefore they don't overeat.

> I used to joke that I was going to have to start doing something to make
> my food taste like shit so I wouldn't eat so much.
>
> Damaeus

:-)

I'm not using it much for myself (except where I tend to use more salt
like on steak or eggs) because it really does enhance flavor.
Thing is, older people DO tend to lose some sense of taste or smell.
Dad's sense of smell has been reduced for some time now and I understand
that that's about 1/2 the taste of food. The MSG I think enhances
flavor enough to overcome that issue.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> In news:rec.food.cooking, Omelet > posted on Mon, 22
> Mar 2010 18:24:08 -0600 the following:
>
> > I worry more about dad not eating at all than adding a little MSG to his
> > food...

> What bugs me about MSG is its inclusion in chicken bouillon. I just
> wonder why the hell it's there. Doesn't seem like "powdered chicken"
> would need anything extra.
>
> Damaeus

Heh! Try making chicken stock and not adding salt or any other
flavoring. It's pretty bland. It does not even smell good cooking.
Mom only ever made that mistake once! The smell was nauseating.

Chicken stock at least needs the addition of aromatic spices and veggies.

My standard stock ingredients a

Onions
Garlic
Celery
Carrots
Pepper
Dried lemon peel
Sometimes Dill weed or other herbs depending on what I plan to use it
for (or my mood) but the above are the standard.

When done, it always needs the addition of salt. Next time I make it
tho', I am going to try adding MSG and see if that reduces the need for
salting it.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 10:26*am, Damaeus >
wrote:
> In news:rec.food.cooking, Omelet > posted on Mon, 22
> Mar 2010 18:24:08 -0600 the following:
>
> > I worry more about dad not eating at all than adding a little MSG to his
> > food...

> What bugs me about MSG is its inclusion in chicken bouillon. *I just
> wonder why the hell it's there. *Doesn't seem like "powdered chicken"
> would need anything extra.

Bouillon is a sad excuse for an ingredient anyway. Look at the
ingredients on the bouillon itself. Very little chicken is involved.

> Damaeus

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Adam Funk" > wrote in message
> On 2010-03-22, Dimitri wrote:
>
>> I thought it was a communist plot -

> To sap our precious bodily fluids?

see he understands.

--
Dimitri

Soon

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Food Snob® > wrote:

> On Mar 23, 10:26*am, Damaeus >
> wrote:
> > In news:rec.food.cooking, Omelet > posted on Mon, 22
> > Mar 2010 18:24:08 -0600 the following:
> >
> > > I worry more about dad not eating at all than adding a little MSG to his
> > > food...

> > What bugs me about MSG is its inclusion in chicken bouillon. *I just
> > wonder why the hell it's there. *Doesn't seem like "powdered chicken"
> > would need anything extra.

> Bouillon is a sad excuse for an ingredient anyway. Look at the
> ingredients on the bouillon itself. Very little chicken is involved.
>

> > Damaeus

> --Bryan

That is so very true! It's just a flavoring.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Omelet > posted on Tue, 23
Mar 2010 14:50:35 -0600 the following:

> My standard stock ingredients a
>
> Onions
> Garlic
> Celery
> Carrots
> Pepper
> Dried lemon peel
> Sometimes Dill weed or other herbs depending on what I plan to use it
> for (or my mood) but the above are the standard.

I just reduce the water I used to boil chicken breasts. Even without
salt, it doesn't taste bad, nor smell bad. In fact, even without salt,
once I've reduced a big pot full of water and chicken juices, it tastes a
little salty without salt.

As for your ingredients, I could do without the celery, carrots and lemon
peel, though I've never tried it that way. Mostly I use chicken and beef
broths for making rice. And I'll also combine chicken and beef broth when
making brown gravy. Speaking of which, a little bit of cocoa powder in
brown gravy adds a lot to the flavor, as long as you've got your salt,
garlic, pepper, maybe a little thyme and sage.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Food Snob+AK4- > posted on
Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:25:45 -0700 (PDT) the following:

> Bouillon is a sad excuse for an ingredient anyway. Look at the
> ingredients on the bouillon itself. Very little chicken is involved.

Well, when I used the Wyler's cubes of it, I wasn't so unimpressed as to
never want to use it again. I just hated that it was in a cube that
seemed so unwilling to dissolve as quickly as I wanted. that's when I
switched to the powdered stuff. Now, while it's better than not having
any chicken broth at all, I'd rather have the canned broth.

Damaeus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> In news:rec.food.cooking, Omelet > posted on Tue, 23
> Mar 2010 14:50:35 -0600 the following:
>
> > My standard stock ingredients a
> >
> > Onions
> > Garlic
> > Celery
> > Carrots
> > Pepper
> > Dried lemon peel
> > Sometimes Dill weed or other herbs depending on what I plan to use it
> > for (or my mood) but the above are the standard.

> I just reduce the water I used to boil chicken breasts. Even without
> salt, it doesn't taste bad, nor smell bad. In fact, even without salt,
> once I've reduced a big pot full of water and chicken juices, it tastes a
> little salty without salt.
>
> As for your ingredients, I could do without the celery, carrots and lemon
> peel, though I've never tried it that way. Mostly I use chicken and beef
> broths for making rice. And I'll also combine chicken and beef broth when
> making brown gravy. Speaking of which, a little bit of cocoa powder in
> brown gravy adds a lot to the flavor, as long as you've got your salt,
> garlic, pepper, maybe a little thyme and sage.
>
> Damaeus

So does leftover cold coffee added to beef.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> In news:rec.food.cooking, Food SnobĀ® > posted on
> Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:25:45 -0700 (PDT) the following:
>
> > Bouillon is a sad excuse for an ingredient anyway. Look at the
> > ingredients on the bouillon itself. Very little chicken is involved.

> Well, when I used the Wyler's cubes of it, I wasn't so unimpressed as to
> never want to use it again. I just hated that it was in a cube that
> seemed so unwilling to dissolve as quickly as I wanted. that's when I
> switched to the powdered stuff. Now, while it's better than not having
> any chicken broth at all, I'd rather have the canned broth.
>
> Damaeus

I still use Wylers cubes as a quick snack.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:28:50 -0700, Dimitri wrote:

> "J. Clarke" > wrote in message

>>> People who use MSG in their cooking like the taste of food and therefore
>>> eat too much.
>>>
>>> People who don't use MSG in their cooking obviously lost their taste
>>> buds and don't give a crap what food tastes like, Therefore they don't
>>> overeat.

>> The important things to know about it are whether you personally like it
>> and whether it gives you personally problems. The rest is hysterics by
>> loons.

> I thought it was a communist plot -
>
> :-)

*chinese* communists.

your pal,
blake

Fuel Cost Comparisons once more Theron General Cooking 64 07-10-2009 06:08 AM
when to add more fuel CC[_2_] Barbecue 9 09-07-2009 05:32 AM
Oak flavor or fuel cowboy Barbecue 6 14-11-2006 04:26 AM
Can I use sourdough as fuel ??? Dan Simper Sourdough 1 10-02-2005 07:47 PM
What to do with my rocket fuel... Paul E. Lehmann Winemaking 8 11-02-2004 01:11 AM