Paul E. Lehmann

Default What to do with my rocket fuel...

Harry Colquhoun wrote:

> My first wine kit is finally ready to be bottled. It is one that I
> made many mistakes on (and received much help from this group as a
> result). The wine kit was probably the cheapest type of kit you can
> buy -- some $40 Canadian peach wine, so I wasn't really expecting
> miracles, but I wasn't expecting it to taste this bad.
>
> The phrase 'rocket fuel' is pretty accurate -- it tastes like really
> crappy vodka mixed with very weak peach water.
>
> Is this something that is going to mellow out over time? Can I bulk
> age this type of kit, or even age it a few months in the bottle?

One option would be to actually add some vodka and some sugar and make kinda
sorta a liquor out of it. The added sugar may bring out more of the peach
flavor. Make sure you get the alcohol content high enough so that the
sugar will not ferment. It might make a pretty good liquid panty hose
remover for your lady friends. ha ha.
Lum

"Harry Colquhoun" > wrote in message
om...
> My first wine kit is finally ready to be bottled. It is one that I
> made many mistakes on (and received much help from this group as a
> result). The wine kit was probably the cheapest type of kit you can
> buy -- some $40 Canadian peach wine, so I wasn't really expecting
> miracles, but I wasn't expecting it to taste this bad.
>
> The phrase 'rocket fuel' is pretty accurate -- it tastes like really
> crappy vodka mixed with very weak peach water.

Your description fits a very young wine, and by definition, the wine is not
ready to bottle.

> Is this something that is going to mellow out over time? Can I bulk
> age this type of kit, or even age it a few months in the bottle?

Yes indeed, your wine will mellow out and improve considerably. Please
consider bulk aging the wine for about a year and then bottle age for
another year. You will be surprised how much improvement a year or two of
aging makes.

Good luck Harry,
lum

Insprucegrove

Was it by chance one of the Loblaws/Superstore Peach Chardonnay type fruit
wines? I am guessing it is either that or one of the other low alcohol wines.

If it is low alcohol, just let it age 60 days or so, try one, if still lousy,
wait another couple of months.

The wine kit was probably the cheapest type of kit you can
> buy -- some $40 Canadian peach wine, so I wasn't really expecting
> miracles, but I wasn't expecting it to taste this bad.

Pinky

He ain't going to wait for a year --- but if he can manage a month it will
still be a lot better

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England
"Lum" > wrote in message

> "Harry Colquhoun" > wrote in message
> om...
> > My first wine kit is finally ready to be bottled. It is one that I
> > made many mistakes on (and received much help from this group as a
> > result). The wine kit was probably the cheapest type of kit you can
> > buy -- some $40 Canadian peach wine, so I wasn't really expecting
> > miracles, but I wasn't expecting it to taste this bad.
> >
> > The phrase 'rocket fuel' is pretty accurate -- it tastes like really
> > crappy vodka mixed with very weak peach water.

> Your description fits a very young wine, and by definition, the wine is

not
> ready to bottle.
>
> > Is this something that is going to mellow out over time? Can I bulk
> > age this type of kit, or even age it a few months in the bottle?

> Yes indeed, your wine will mellow out and improve considerably. Please
> consider bulk aging the wine for about a year and then bottle age for
> another year. You will be surprised how much improvement a year or two of
> aging makes.
>
> Good luck Harry,
> lum

Dar V

That describes a number of my wines when they are young, but if you can hold
off, the wine will age and taste much better.
Darlene

"Pinky" > wrote in message
> He ain't going to wait for a year --- but if he can manage a month it will
> still be a lot better
>
> --
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire, England
> Remove "PSANTISPAM" from my address line to reply.
> All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
> Anti Virus for your protection too!
> "Lum" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Harry Colquhoun" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > My first wine kit is finally ready to be bottled. It is one that I
> > > made many mistakes on (and received much help from this group as a
> > > result). The wine kit was probably the cheapest type of kit you can
> > > buy -- some $40 Canadian peach wine, so I wasn't really expecting
> > > miracles, but I wasn't expecting it to taste this bad.
> > >
> > > The phrase 'rocket fuel' is pretty accurate -- it tastes like really
> > > crappy vodka mixed with very weak peach water.

> > Your description fits a very young wine, and by definition, the wine is

> not
> > ready to bottle.
> >
> > > Is this something that is going to mellow out over time? Can I bulk
> > > age this type of kit, or even age it a few months in the bottle?

> > Yes indeed, your wine will mellow out and improve considerably. Please
> > consider bulk aging the wine for about a year and then bottle age for
> > another year. You will be surprised how much improvement a year or two

of
> > aging makes.
> >
> > Good luck Harry,
> > lum

Brian Lundeen

"Harry Colquhoun" > wrote in message
om...
> My first wine kit is finally ready to be bottled. It is one that I
> made many mistakes on (and received much help from this group as a
> result). The wine kit was probably the cheapest type of kit you can
> buy -- some $40 Canadian peach wine, so I wasn't really expecting
> miracles, but I wasn't expecting it to taste this bad.

One thing I wish people would do in posts like this is....

Name names!

Which kit was it? We're all knowledgeable enough to realize that its not
only the kit but how its made that determines its ultimate quality, but if
the same names are named over and over, you start to get a good picture of
the expected quality of the kit, whether good or bad.

Brian

Harry Colquhoun

"Dar V" > wrote in message >...
> That describes a number of my wines when they are young, but if you can hold
> off, the wine will age and taste much better.
> Darlene

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I realise that the expensive kits
(of which I have 2 aging right now) will age gracefully, I was more
worried that because this is the cheapest of the cheap kits
(Superstore special) that it wouldn't take to aging.

If I do choose to age it for 6+ months, do I need to add anything?

Thanks!
Ray

"Harry Colquhoun" > wrote in message
om...
> "Dar V" > wrote in message

> > That describes a number of my wines when they are young, but if you can

hold
> > off, the wine will age and taste much better.
> > Darlene
> >

> Thanks for the responses, everyone. I realise that the expensive kits
> (of which I have 2 aging right now) will age gracefully, I was more
> worried that because this is the cheapest of the cheap kits
> (Superstore special) that it wouldn't take to aging.
>
> If I do choose to age it for 6+ months, do I need to add anything?
>
> Thanks!

You should add a half campden tablet per gal when you rack it. It will
probably mellow out but if it remains low flavored rocket fuel after a few
months you might consider adding sorbate and sulfite to stabilize and then
add some peach concentrate to flavor and sweeten it. This will probably
turn it into a very nice picnic wine. Sort of a wine cooler without the
carbonation.

Ray

Julie

What was the final Alcohol measurement once fermentation completed?

rocket salad Momzilla Vegan 0 11-12-2004 03:23 AM
Rocket fuel found in organic food Dark Skies General Cooking 4 03-12-2004 12:47 AM
The Rocket Burger journey_7x7 Recipes (moderated) 0 06-11-2004 04:29 PM
Controlling Strawberry Rocket fuel Tom Winemaking 15 10-06-2004 04:27 PM
Blueberry Rocket Fuel glad heart Winemaking 0 04-11-2003 05:58 PM