Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Oak flavor or fuel

I have been offered a some oak for my smoker. It is more than
I can see for flavoring, and I have been flavoring with hickory
chunks. Just wondering if it is better as a fuel.

Gene
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"cowboy" > wrote in message
> I have been offered a some oak for my smoker. It is more than
> I can see for flavoring, and I have been flavoring with hickory
> chunks. Just wondering if it is better as a fuel.
>

> Gene

Depends. Some smokers are designed to work with charcoal and are harder to
control with all wood. Of course, you can burn the wood to coals and add
them as needed. In any case, I'd use it. I like grilling over wood.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Scottish smoked salmon uses oak as the smoking agent

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 12-Nov-2006, cowboy > wrote:

> I have been offered a some oak for my smoker. It is more than
> I can see for flavoring, and I have been flavoring with hickory
> chunks. Just wondering if it is better as a fuel.
>

> Gene

It is better for fuel. I use Oak sometimes for smoke, but it's not nearly
as good as hickory or citrus chunks.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
H H is offline

I really love chicken smoked on oak

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

h wrote:
> I really love chicken smoked on oak

I like oak, but my fav is till pecan.
And that's not just because I have pecan trees.

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> > GeneIt is better for fuel. I use Oak sometimes for smoke, but it's not nearly

> as good as hickory or citrus chunks.

Gotta disagree. I like oak as smoke flavor, second only to my
neighbor's birch tree. I'd save it for smoke and use regular charcoal
for fuel.

Hickory is popular in the southeast mainly because they have a lot of
it, and people got accustomed to the flavor - not my favorite.

More fuel for the MSG controversies ImStillMags General Cooking 23 25-03-2010 05:57 PM
when to add more fuel CC[_2_] Barbecue 9 09-07-2009 05:32 AM
Five-Flavor Cake w. Six Flavor Glaze Tom & Kathy Harris Recipes 0 19-11-2007 12:58 AM
REC - Five-Flavor Cake With Six-Flavor Glaze Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 0 04-07-2006 12:11 AM
Can I use sourdough as fuel ??? Dan Simper Sourdough 1 10-02-2005 07:47 PM