Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Truffles

The delicatessen I frequent was good enough to give me two Italian black
truffles to try last Friday. I've been searching around for some
relevant recipes using truffles, but really haven't found a whole lot
that excites me.

I grated some over creamy scrambled eggs this morning... I loved it and
intend to have it that way again.

I thought some of you may have some better ideas than I can find via
searching, as to some yummy recipes?

I'd prefer simple, uncomplicated recipes that highlight the truffles.
I'm told these truffles I was given are just past their peak (no
noticeable ammonia smell as yet) but I was advised to used them up quickly.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> The delicatessen I frequent was good enough to give me two Italian black
> truffles to try last Friday. I've been searching around for some relevant
> recipes using truffles, but really haven't found a whole lot that excites
> me.
>
> I grated some over creamy scrambled eggs this morning... I loved it and
> intend to have it that way again.
>
> I thought some of you may have some better ideas than I can find via
> searching, as to some yummy recipes?
>
> I'd prefer simple, uncomplicated recipes that highlight the truffles. I'm
> told these truffles I was given are just past their peak (no noticeable
> ammonia smell as yet) but I was advised to used them up quickly.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

They GAVE you two truffles?????

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Same thing basically, eggs Benedict with black truffle.

Paul

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> The delicatessen I frequent was good enough to give me two Italian black
> truffles to try last Friday. I've been searching around for some relevant
> recipes using truffles, but really haven't found a whole lot that excites
> me.
>
> I grated some over creamy scrambled eggs this morning... I loved it and
> intend to have it that way again.
>
> I thought some of you may have some better ideas than I can find via
> searching, as to some yummy recipes?
>
> I'd prefer simple, uncomplicated recipes that highlight the truffles. I'm
> told these truffles I was given are just past their peak (no noticeable
> ammonia smell as yet) but I was advised to used them up quickly.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism
> by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jeßus > wrote:

> The delicatessen I frequent was good enough to give me two Italian black
> truffles to try last Friday. I've been searching around for some
> relevant recipes using truffles, but really haven't found a whole lot
> that excites me.
>
> I grated some over creamy scrambled eggs this morning... I loved it and
> intend to have it that way again.
>
> I thought some of you may have some better ideas than I can find via
> searching, as to some yummy recipes?
>
> I'd prefer simple, uncomplicated recipes that highlight the truffles.
> I'm told these truffles I was given are just past their peak (no
> noticeable ammonia smell as yet) but I was advised to used them up quickly.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Have you considered making truffle oil so they will last longer?
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio newsmpomelet-
> JeÃYus > wrote:
>
>> The delicatessen I frequent was good enough to give me two Italian black

> Have you considered making truffle oil so they will last longer?

You CANNOT make truffle oil at home. Even professional truffle firms have
problems with that and that's why so much truffle oil is fake. It is very
unsafe to try infusing it at home. You just have to use them up. Period.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" ha scritto nel messaggio

> The delicatessen I frequent was good enough to give me two Italian black
> truffles to try last Friday. I've been searching around for some >
> relevant recipes using truffles, but really haven't found a whole lot that
> excites me.

It's not the truffle recipes that excite you, it's the truffle itself. I
live in truffle territory and most of my male neighbors are truffle hunters
in season. The truffle you have is the weakest one of the year, so you just
have to use more.
The recipes in which they are commonly used are recipes made without
truffles that taste even better in truffle season. They can be sliced
exquisitely thin over many preparations just before serving. Roasted turkey
breast for a start. Black truffle can be sliced very thin and arrayed under
the skin before roasting. Do NOT use garlic. Or roast it and slice truffle
over the sliced meat as you serve it.
Make pate and arrange truffle slices inside befoire baking that will be
revealed as it is sliced.
Mince some finely--off cuts sort of-- and toss with best olive oil, salt and
pepper over pasta.

Poach chicken breast with skin and bone. Remove the skin and bone, make an
aspic with the broth and mayo-- look up a recipe for the rest-- then lay
truffle slices on the cooled breasts and glaze ocver them with the aspic.
Do it on a rack over waxed paper so you can reheat the drips and add another
layer. These are served chilled and make wonderful picnic food.

Sautè pounded pork loin slices briefly in olive oil. Arrange on a platter
and scatter truffle bits over, a sprinkle of salt.

By now, you'll be out of truffle, but the off season ones aren't very
expensive, so buy some more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus wrote:

> I'd prefer simple, uncomplicated recipes that highlight the truffles.
> I'm told these truffles I was given are just past their peak (no
> noticeable ammonia smell as yet) but I was advised to used them up
> quickly.
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Cook some egg noodles like tagliatelle or pappardelle, drain them and put
them in a serving pot with thinly sliced butter and some grated truffle and
quickly stir to roughly mix truffle and butter with the noodles. Cover and
wait a minute for the butter to melt, stir a little and serve, grating some
more truffle on the ready dishes. You could also grate the truffle on the
ready dishes only, or you could just put truffle in the pot, as you prefer.
Grating at the table, you now for sure now, has that fascinating look to it

BTW, many people says that black truffle should be somewhat heated, almost
cooked, to get the most out of it. That's why this recipe asks to let the
pot covered.
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosè

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio newsmpomelet-
> > JeÃYus > wrote:
> >
> >> The delicatessen I frequent was good enough to give me two Italian black

> > Have you considered making truffle oil so they will last longer?

> You CANNOT make truffle oil at home. Even professional truffle firms have
> problems with that and that's why so much truffle oil is fake. It is very
> unsafe to try infusing it at home. You just have to use them up. Period.

Okay, how about infusing some into white vinegar? :-)
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi > wrote:

>You CANNOT make truffle oil at home. Even professional truffle firms have
>problems with that and that's why so much truffle oil is fake. It is very
>unsafe to try infusing it at home. You just have to use them up. Period.

Plus, what are the odds of having so many truffles you cannot
consume them on the spot?

I like black (Italian) truffles cooked in with eggs or pasta, and white
(Italian) truffles grated over eggs, steak, or pasta right before
serving. I don't know of any better way to do it, and I'm
not sure there IS any better way to do it.

I suppose I would cotton to the idea of making real truffle
oil from truffles, just so that I know what non-fake truffle
oil is like, but I'm not sure it would be worth the cost.

Fake truffle oil is the sputum of satan. I cannot stand being
in the same building as it.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" < ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" > wrote:

>> You CANNOT make truffle oil at home.

> Okay, how about infusing some into white vinegar? :-)

What do you think would be left of the truffle perfume? If there were
reasonable ways to preserve truffles, surely the Italians who have them over
1/3 of the country would do it? They now do dried ones. I'm not wasting my
euro on them.
I was hired by a Chinese firm some years back to develop recipes using their
dried truffles. In the end I decided that the only way I could get them to
taste like truffles was to drip some Italian truffle oil over the dish when
it was done. I later read they are fed to livestock there. They were just
trying to see if they could make more off them than the cows were willing to
pay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> Fake truffle oil is the sputum of satan. I cannot stand being
> in the same building as it.

It's the *fart* of satan!
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosè

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Steve Pope wrote:
>
>> Fake truffle oil is the sputum of satan. I cannot stand being
>> in the same building as it.

> It's the *fart* of satan!

I use the real thing. They make it in my town.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

>>> Fake truffle oil is the sputum of satan. I cannot stand being
>>> in the same building as it.

>> It's the *fart* of satan!

> I use the real thing. They make it in my town.

I know, Umbria is one of the two most renowned regions of Italy when it's
truffle season. And I personally prefer the noble black (tuber melanosporum)
to the Alba white (tuber magnatum pico). And as long as I can find a good
piece of "nero di norcia" I'm in heaven
I have never found a good scorzone, "tuber aestivum", where you live they
probably bulk-sell it to the industry for production of oil or such.
Anyway I tried a very very good "tuber uncinatum chatin", the "nero di
fragno" from the Calestano / Fornovo Taro area, in the Parma Apennines near
here. It's similar to the Norcia black and has a wide aroma with a delicate
hint of pepper, and it goes incredibly well in cheese and/or mushrooms
sauces, like the renowned "fonduta di formaggio" served over polenta at
"Locanda Mariella" in Fragno (PR). That, and theyr incredible wine chart,
are more than a very good reason to dine there.
The production in Umbria is so high, both in quantity and quality, that this
"nero di fragno" is probably not sold there, but if you have a chance give
it a try. Its name is spreading well these days, just 10 years ago it was
known only in the Parma mountain area and today its name has made its way
till in Lombardia.
--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosè

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:

>> I use the real thing. They make it in my town.

> I know, Umbria is one of the two most renowned regions of Italy when it's
> > truffle season. And I personally prefer the noble black (tuber

> melanosporum) to the Alba white (tuber magnatum pico). And as long as I
> can find a good > piece of "nero di norcia" I'm in heaven
> I have never found a good scorzone, "tuber aestivum", where you live they
> > probably bulk-sell it to the industry for production of oil or such.

> Anyway I tried a very very good "tuber uncinatum chatin", the "nero di >
> fragno" from the Calestano / Fornovo Taro area, in the Parma Apennines
> near here. It's similar to the Norcia black and has a wide aroma with a
> delicate > hint of pepper, and it goes incredibly well in cheese and/or
> mushrooms sauces, like the renowned "fonduta di formaggio" served over
> polenta at > "Locanda Mariella" in Fragno (PR). That, and theyr incredible
> wine chart, are more than a very good reason to dine there.
> The production in Umbria is so high, both in quantity and quality, that
> this > "nero di fragno" is probably not sold there, but if you have a
> chance give it a try. Its name is spreading well these days, just 10 years
> ago it was > known only in the Parma mountain area and today its name has
> made its way till in Lombardia.

I shall ask which that is. One family here are such fabulous naturalists as
well as truffle hunters that I'm sure they'll bring me one when they are in
season. Our white truffles are superb, Vilco. One will stink up the whole
house for days from inside a closed jar in the fridge! My cats used to line
up facing the fridge whenever I had one in there.

I buy what is available, then I use the amount needed to make my dish good.
The people I cook for want to sample what there is right then, not be told
to come back when the white truffle in season (although I feed them today's
truffle AND tell them to come back in November.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Omelet" < ha scritto nel messaggio
> > "Giusi" > wrote:

> >> You CANNOT make truffle oil at home.

> > Okay, how about infusing some into white vinegar? :-)

> What do you think would be left of the truffle perfume? If there were
> reasonable ways to preserve truffles, surely the Italians who have them over
> 1/3 of the country would do it? They now do dried ones. I'm not wasting my
> euro on them.
> I was hired by a Chinese firm some years back to develop recipes using their
> dried truffles. In the end I decided that the only way I could get them to
> taste like truffles was to drip some Italian truffle oil over the dish when
> it was done. I later read they are fed to livestock there. They were just
> trying to see if they could make more off them than the cows were willing to
> pay.

Ok.

So what's all the hype about? What makes truffles worth the
astronomical amount of money they charge for them? I've never eaten them.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" > wrote:

> So what's all the hype about? What makes truffles worth the astronomical
> amount of money they charge for them? I've never eaten them.

They are very pungent and earthy. It's the smell that is the strongest, but
there's a taste too that involves all the tongue and fairly reeks of umami.
It contains, according to scientists, many or even most of the markers for
human sexual odors. It takes very little to alter anything you are making.

OTH, my daughter finds them disgusting and can't stand to be in the same
room. I can be near caviar, but I feel the same about putting it in my
mouth. That's the distinctiveness of them. Some like me love them, some
hate them. How many people have a passionate feeling either way for a
potato or a greenbean?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > "Giusi" > wrote:

> > So what's all the hype about? What makes truffles worth the astronomical
> > amount of money they charge for them? I've never eaten them.

> They are very pungent and earthy. It's the smell that is the strongest, but
> there's a taste too that involves all the tongue and fairly reeks of umami.
> It contains, according to scientists, many or even most of the markers for
> human sexual odors. It takes very little to alter anything you are making.
>
> OTH, my daughter finds them disgusting and can't stand to be in the same
> room. I can be near caviar, but I feel the same about putting it in my
> mouth. That's the distinctiveness of them. Some like me love them, some
> hate them. How many people have a passionate feeling either way for a
> potato or a greenbean?

You'd be surprised. <g>

But thanks for the perspective!
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> The delicatessen I frequent was good enough to give me two Italian black
>> truffles to try last Friday. I've been searching around for some relevant
>> recipes using truffles, but really haven't found a whole lot that excites
>> me.
>>
>> I grated some over creamy scrambled eggs this morning... I loved it and
>> intend to have it that way again.
>>
>> I thought some of you may have some better ideas than I can find via
>> searching, as to some yummy recipes?
>>
>> I'd prefer simple, uncomplicated recipes that highlight the truffles. I'm
>> told these truffles I was given are just past their peak (no noticeable
>> ammonia smell as yet) but I was advised to used them up quickly.
>>
>> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
>>

> They GAVE you two truffles?????

Yep, They're really good like that. I'm a regular customer and spend a
fair amount in there each week so I'm sure that's why. If I ask about
something whilst buying other stuff, they often give me some to try. I
was asking about when the local (Tasmanian) truffles are in season,
which led to these Italian ones. By my reckoning, I was given about $60
worth (AUD$1900/KG).

The local truffles sell for AUD$1700/KG. I have two friends who maintain
a truffle farm not too far away from here. The trees are only a few
years old, so not much in the way of truffles as yet (although they have
found a few). I can't wait for it to get into full swing.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> The delicatessen I frequent was good enough to give me two Italian black
>> truffles to try last Friday. I've been searching around for some relevant
>> recipes using truffles, but really haven't found a whole lot that excites
>> me.
>>
>> I grated some over creamy scrambled eggs this morning... I loved it and
>> intend to have it that way again.
>>
>> I thought some of you may have some better ideas than I can find via
>> searching, as to some yummy recipes?
>>
>> I'd prefer simple, uncomplicated recipes that highlight the truffles. I'm
>> told these truffles I was given are just past their peak (no noticeable
>> ammonia smell as yet) but I was advised to used them up quickly.
>>

> Same thing basically, eggs Benedict with black truffle.

I had eggs with truffles grated over the top again this morning, seems
like a pretty good way to have them.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> The delicatessen I frequent was good enough to give me two Italian black
>> truffles to try last Friday. I've been searching around for some
>> relevant recipes using truffles, but really haven't found a whole lot
>> that excites me.
>>
>> I grated some over creamy scrambled eggs this morning... I loved it and
>> intend to have it that way again.
>>
>> I thought some of you may have some better ideas than I can find via
>> searching, as to some yummy recipes?
>>
>> I'd prefer simple, uncomplicated recipes that highlight the truffles.
>> I'm told these truffles I was given are just past their peak (no
>> noticeable ammonia smell as yet) but I was advised to used them up quickly.
>>
>> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

> Have you considered making truffle oil so they will last longer?

I have, but at the time I also bought a small bottle of truffle oil... I
already had the truffle oil along with all the other stuff I was buying,
then they came out with the Italian truffles. I felt kind-of guilty
after they gave me the two truffles so didn't put the oil back

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> > ha scritto nel messaggio newsmpomelet-
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> The delicatessen I frequent was good enough to give me two Italian black

>> Have you considered making truffle oil so they will last longer?

> You CANNOT make truffle oil at home. Even professional truffle firms have
> problems with that and that's why so much truffle oil is fake. It is very
> unsafe to try infusing it at home. You just have to use them up. Period.

Interesting. I wonder if this is unsafe in the same way raw milk is
'unsafe', or is there a really good reason that it's unwise to do so? We
make our own sauerkraut, pickled eggs, kefir and consume unpasteurised
dairy, etc. and never had a problem. I'm certainly not dismissing what
you say at all, just curious. I guess coming from under the ground,
being mycelium could bring up a bunch of new issues.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Jeßus" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> The delicatessen I frequent was good enough to give me two Italian black
>> truffles to try last Friday. I've been searching around for some>
>> relevant recipes using truffles, but really haven't found a whole lot that
>> excites me.

> It's not the truffle recipes that excite you, it's the truffle itself. I
> live in truffle territory and most of my male neighbors are truffle hunters
> in season. The truffle you have is the weakest one of the year, so you just
> have to use more.

Noted...

> The recipes in which they are commonly used are recipes made without
> truffles that taste even better in truffle season. They can be sliced
> exquisitely thin over many preparations just before serving. Roasted turkey
> breast for a start. Black truffle can be sliced very thin and arrayed under
> the skin before roasting. Do NOT use garlic. Or roast it and slice truffle
> over the sliced meat as you serve it.
> Make pate and arrange truffle slices inside befoire baking that will be
> revealed as it is sliced.

*Drool* at the pate idea...

> Mince some finely--off cuts sort of-- and toss with best olive oil, salt and
> pepper over pasta.
>
> Poach chicken breast with skin and bone. Remove the skin and bone, make an
> aspic with the broth and mayo-- look up a recipe for the rest-- then lay
> truffle slices on the cooled breasts and glaze ocver them with the aspic.
> Do it on a rack over waxed paper so you can reheat the drips and add another
> layer. These are served chilled and make wonderful picnic food.
>
> Sautè pounded pork loin slices briefly in olive oil. Arrange on a platter
> and scatter truffle bits over, a sprinkle of salt.
>
> By now, you'll be out of truffle, but the off season ones aren't very
> expensive, so buy some more.

Thank you very much Giusi, exactly the sort of ideas I needed! I still
have most of one left, I don't have any chicken breast, but I do have a
duck breast in the freezer. I might give your idea shot, thanks.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> The delicatessen I frequent was good enough to give me two Italian
>> black truffles to try last Friday. I've been searching around for some
>> relevant recipes using truffles, but really haven't found a whole lot
>> that excites me.
>>
>> I grated some over creamy scrambled eggs this morning... I loved it
>> and intend to have it that way again.
>>
>> I thought some of you may have some better ideas than I can find via
>> searching, as to some yummy recipes?
>>
>> I'd prefer simple, uncomplicated recipes that highlight the truffles.
>> I'm told these truffles I was given are just past their peak (no
>> noticeable ammonia smell as yet) but I was advised to used them up
>> quickly.
>>
>> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

> I wouldn't mind coming along on a truffle hunt. I'm a well traveled
> BUM!!! according to some countries I've invaded. Business or
> pleasure?..."
>
> ...Pleasure!!!!!!
>
> Truffles on eggs?...? Can't much improve on that day after day after day
> after day!

Well, I'm pretty pleased with truffles just on eggs, I must say.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:
> Jeßus wrote:
>
>> I'd prefer simple, uncomplicated recipes that highlight the truffles.
>> I'm told these truffles I was given are just past their peak (no
>> noticeable ammonia smell as yet) but I was advised to used them up
>> quickly.
>> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

> Cook some egg noodles like tagliatelle or pappardelle, drain them and put
> them in a serving pot with thinly sliced butter and some grated truffle and
> quickly stir to roughly mix truffle and butter with the noodles. Cover and
> wait a minute for the butter to melt, stir a little and serve, grating some
> more truffle on the ready dishes. You could also grate the truffle on the
> ready dishes only, or you could just put truffle in the pot, as you prefer.
> Grating at the table, you now for sure now, has that fascinating look to it
>
> BTW, many people says that black truffle should be somewhat heated, almost
> cooked, to get the most out of it. That's why this recipe asks to let the
> pot covered.

Thanks very much for the idea ViLco

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> You CANNOT make truffle oil at home. Even professional truffle firms have
>> problems with that and that's why so much truffle oil is fake. It is very
>> unsafe to try infusing it at home. You just have to use them up. Period.

> Plus, what are the odds of having so many truffles you cannot
> consume them on the spot?
>
> I like black (Italian) truffles cooked in with eggs or pasta, and white
> (Italian) truffles grated over eggs, steak, or pasta right before
> serving. I don't know of any better way to do it, and I'm
> not sure there IS any better way to do it.
>
> I suppose I would cotton to the idea of making real truffle
> oil from truffles, just so that I know what non-fake truffle
> oil is like, but I'm not sure it would be worth the cost.
>
> Fake truffle oil is the sputum of satan. I cannot stand being
> in the same building as it.

So I assume the fake oil contain NO truffles whatsoever?

The bottle I bought says, under ingredients:
Olive oil, white truffle (tuber magnatum pico) 0.1%, aroma.

I'm wonder what the 'aroma' might be?

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jeßus > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In >,
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> The delicatessen I frequent was good enough to give me two Italian black
> >> truffles to try last Friday. I've been searching around for some
> >> relevant recipes using truffles, but really haven't found a whole lot
> >> that excites me.
> >>
> >> I grated some over creamy scrambled eggs this morning... I loved it and
> >> intend to have it that way again.
> >>
> >> I thought some of you may have some better ideas than I can find via
> >> searching, as to some yummy recipes?
> >>
> >> I'd prefer simple, uncomplicated recipes that highlight the truffles.
> >> I'm told these truffles I was given are just past their peak (no
> >> noticeable ammonia smell as yet) but I was advised to used them up quickly.
> >>
> >> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

> > Have you considered making truffle oil so they will last longer?

> I have, but at the time I also bought a small bottle of truffle oil... I
> already had the truffle oil along with all the other stuff I was buying,
> then they came out with the Italian truffles. I felt kind-of guilty
> after they gave me the two truffles so didn't put the oil back

Too funny. <lol>
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in
news

> Too funny. <lol>

Considering who the 'tale' is coming from, I wouldn't put any faith in it's
veracity.

Maybe if some pictures were posted of said 'truffles' then it might lend a
bit of credence to the tale.

But I really can't see Marika and Nic of The Village Store and More giving
away $60 worth of truffles to *anyone*....... quite apart from the fact that
they don't stock anything to do with truffles.

And as they are the only deli in the town where the (proven) liar is supposed
to live..........

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PLucas wrote:
> > wrote in
> news >
>> Too funny.<lol>

> Considering who the 'tale' is coming from, I wouldn't put any faith in it's
> veracity.

I wondered if and how long before you'd stick your nose in one of my
threads lucas. I've kept well away from making any comments, directly or
indirectly in reference to you. I haven't read a single one of your
posts for weeks - until now - and only because you've chosen to
interfere out of your trademark misguided jealousy

You also don't understand that Om isn't interested in getting involved
in any feuds, and why should she be?

> Maybe if some pictures were posted of said 'truffles' then it might lend a
> bit of credence to the tale.

Should I or shouldn't I take the bait?

Okay - just this once:
http://i39.tinypic.com/ras3zm.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/jqonyg.jpg

Perhaps you could get some handwriting analysis done on the pics Pete?
Might help to track me down?

> But I really can't see Marika and Nic of The Village Store and More giving
> away $60 worth of truffles to *anyone*....... quite apart from the fact that
> they don't stock anything to do with truffles.

LOL, where do I start on this one?

1: Firstly, you don't know where I live. You don't know where I shop.
How in the hell could you know, LOL.
I moved from St Helens nearly *two years ago* when I found and bought
this rural property.

2: Secondly, you only occasionally visit Tasmania, and know a hell of a
lot less about the place than you think you do.

3: Third, you're relying on Google (yet again) to come up with names and
places in a bid to engender the impression of knowledge. You're never
going to grow out of doing that, are you?

4: I don't shop at St Helens. I shop in Launceston.
Now, there's really only three decent delicatessens in Launy, perhaps
you could get their numbers and try some social engineering by asking
them if they gave some truffles away, and to whom (lucas has been trying
for years to get ny name and details)

> And as they are the only deli in the town where the (proven) liar is supposed
> to live..........

Yes Peter. Best you take a sedative and have a lie down for a while?

NB: The Village Store 'deli' you refer to isn't really what you could
possibly call a deli.
Using Google has backfired on you, yet again.

Hopefully my last response to you. End transmission

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/03/2010 7:22 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> PLucas wrote:

<snip>

> Should I or shouldn't I take the bait?
>
> Okay - just this once:
> http://i39.tinypic.com/ras3zm.jpg
> http://i39.tinypic.com/jqonyg.jpg

Those truffles look a bit ordinary to me.

> Perhaps you could get some handwriting analysis done on the pics Pete?
> Might help to track me down?
>
>> But I really can't see Marika and Nic of The Village Store and More
>> giving
>> away $60 worth of truffles to *anyone*....... quite apart from the
>> fact that
>> they don't stock anything to do with truffles.

> LOL, where do I start on this one?

At the beginning...

> 1: Firstly, you don't know where I live. You don't know where I shop.
> How in the hell could you know, LOL.
> I moved from St Helens nearly *two years ago* when I found and bought
> this rural property.

St Helens is a bit too remote for me. Born and raised a city boy here in
Melbourne, I found it far too quiet when we stayed in the area for a week.

Did you move to a property along the Tamar? It's really nice along
there. We would have liked to retire there somewhere but that would have
meant leaving all the family behind.

> 2: Secondly, you only occasionally visit Tasmania, and know a hell of a
> lot less about the place than you think you do.

We're taking the opportunity to take a couple of the great grandkids
over to Tassie for the Easter break. Going on the ferry, a new
experience for the kids.

> 3: Third, you're relying on Google (yet again) to come up with names and
> places in a bid to engender the impression of knowledge. You're never
> going to grow out of doing that, are you?
>
> 4: I don't shop at St Helens. I shop in Launceston.
> Now, there's really only three decent delicatessens in Launy, perhaps

Ah, Lonny, know the place well. Had a nice big country town feel to the
place. Spent some time at the Immigration Offices there back in about
1980. I daresay it hasn't changed a lot since. Used to love my walks
through the Cataract Gorge. Say, do they still have that chairlift there?

I used to frequent a deli in or near the Quadrant. Probably not there
any more. After all, it was a long time back.

<snip>

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Krypsis > wrote in news:4ba9fa77$0$1783$afc38c87
@news.optusnet.com.au:

> On 24/03/2010 7:22 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> PLucas wrote:

> <snip>
>

>> Should I or shouldn't I take the bait?
>>
>> Okay - just this once:
>> http://i39.tinypic.com/ras3zm.jpg
>> http://i39.tinypic.com/jqonyg.jpg

> Those truffles look a bit ordinary to me.

Look like goat turds picked up in the back yard. Really.

They could be *anything*, the pic is that crappy.

> We would have liked to retire there somewhere but that would have
> meant leaving all the family behind.

In some cases, that's not a bad thing :-)

> Ah, Lonny, know the place well. Had a nice big country town feel to the
> place. Spent some time at the Immigration Offices there back in about
> 1980. I daresay it hasn't changed a lot since. Used to love my walks
> through the Cataract Gorge. Say, do they still have that chairlift there?

Yep.

http://www.launcestoncataractgorge.c...chairlift.html

I spent a bit of time in and around Lonny as well. I was using Shearwater as
a base.

When we moved our base down to Hobart, we met a lady in a shop in Richmond
who was from Melbourne who took us, along with her friends, to her favourite
Indian restaurant in Lonnie. It was nothing for her and her frinds to do that
trip once a fortnight. Most Taswegians thought they were mad!!

I did prefer Devonport to Lonny though.
Spent more than a few days up on the rock wall near the lighthouse wetting a
line :-)

> I used to frequent a deli in or near the Quadrant. Probably not there
> any more. After all, it was a long time back.

Wursthaus at Olivers??

It's in the Quadrant Mall.

When you go back over, are you going to stay 'up North'?? If so, do you like
oysters....... really *big*, free oysters??

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Krypsis wrote:
> On 24/03/2010 7:22 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> PLucas wrote:

> <snip>
>

>> Should I or shouldn't I take the bait?
>>
>> Okay - just this once:
>> http://i39.tinypic.com/ras3zm.jpg
>> http://i39.tinypic.com/jqonyg.jpg

> Those truffles look a bit ordinary to me.

You could well be right for all I know - not having any previous
experience with them.
BTW, that's all that is left of them... down to about half of one
truffle left now.

I do like them, they certainly take scrambled eggs to a different level.
But I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay for them - maybe occasionally
perhaps. I think the local truffles are in season around August, I'll
be sure to buy at least one of those and see what I think then whether
they're worth buying or not.

>> Perhaps you could get some handwriting analysis done on the pics Pete?
>> Might help to track me down?
>>
>>> But I really can't see Marika and Nic of The Village Store and More
>>> giving
>>> away $60 worth of truffles to *anyone*....... quite apart from the
>>> fact that
>>> they don't stock anything to do with truffles.

>> LOL, where do I start on this one?

> At the beginning...
>>
>> 1: Firstly, you don't know where I live. You don't know where I shop.
>> How in the hell could you know, LOL.
>> I moved from St Helens nearly *two years ago* when I found and bought
>> this rural property.

> St Helens is a bit too remote for me. Born and raised a city boy here in
> Melbourne, I found it far too quiet when we stayed in the area for a week.

LOL. If you found St Helens a little too remote, then you certainly
wouldn't like where I am now
There isn't even a town here at all... I am surrounded by state forest.

> Did you move to a property along the Tamar? It's really nice along
> there. We would have liked to retire there somewhere but that would have
> meant leaving all the family behind.

No, I'm still well to the east of Launy, but the Tamar Valley is also
very nice - albeit a bit too populated for me.
I really wanted to be isolated from any degree of rat race, and I
certainly got what I wanted.

>> 2: Secondly, you only occasionally visit Tasmania, and know a hell of a
>> lot less about the place than you think you do.

> We're taking the opportunity to take a couple of the great grandkids
> over to Tassie for the Easter break. Going on the ferry, a new
> experience for the kids.

Be sure to book ASAP if you haven't already. In fact it may well be too
late now...
The boats have frequently been booked out lately.

Last November I bought a car in Melbourne - had to wait 11 days for a
booking, so I headed up to Sydney and visited some relatives for the
interim. There was some sort of Harley/biker event thing happening in
Launy - there were seemingly thousands of them - they were the main
reason the boat was so heavily booked at that time.

>> 3: Third, you're relying on Google (yet again) to come up with names and
>> places in a bid to engender the impression of knowledge. You're never
>> going to grow out of doing that, are you?
>>
>> 4: I don't shop at St Helens. I shop in Launceston.
>> Now, there's really only three decent delicatessens in Launy, perhaps

> Ah, Lonny, know the place well. Had a nice big country town feel to the
> place. Spent some time at the Immigration Offices there back in about
> 1980. I daresay it hasn't changed a lot since. Used to love my walks
> through the Cataract Gorge. Say, do they still have that chairlift there?

Chairlift is still there. The Gorge is a nice place to visit, the g/f
and I occasionally take some lunch there on the days I come in to get
supplies, since it's virtually in the city. A nice little oasis.

> I used to frequent a deli in or near the Quadrant. Probably not there
> any more. After all, it was a long time back.

That's Wursthaus. A very good deli it is too. They have a couple of
other stores around Tassie, along with a place in Deloraine (I think
it's in Deloraine?) where they make a lot of pates, sausages,
liverwurst... that sort of thing.

Hope you booked for that boat!

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/03/2010 2:24 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> Krypsis wrote:
>> On 24/03/2010 7:22 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>>> PLucas wrote:

>> <snip>
>>

>>> Should I or shouldn't I take the bait?
>>>
>>> Okay - just this once:
>>> http://i39.tinypic.com/ras3zm.jpg
>>> http://i39.tinypic.com/jqonyg.jpg

>> Those truffles look a bit ordinary to me.

> You could well be right for all I know - not having any previous
> experience with them.

Ditto for me. They would want to taste fantastic to compensate for their
appearance! ;-)

> BTW, that's all that is left of them... down to about half of one
> truffle left now.

Ah, so you decided you like them then?

> I do like them, they certainly take scrambled eggs to a different level.
> But I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay for them - maybe occasionally
> perhaps. I think the local truffles are in season around August, I'll be
> sure to buy at least one of those and see what I think then whether
> they're worth buying or not.

Let me know what you think of them.

<snip>

>>> 1: Firstly, you don't know where I live. You don't know where I shop.
>>> How in the hell could you know, LOL.
>>> I moved from St Helens nearly *two years ago* when I found and bought
>>> this rural property.

>> St Helens is a bit too remote for me. Born and raised a city boy here in
>> Melbourne, I found it far too quiet when we stayed in the area for a
>> week.

> LOL. If you found St Helens a little too remote, then you certainly
> wouldn't like where I am now
> There isn't even a town here at all... I am surrounded by state forest.

You got that right! Born a city boy, always a city boy.
I don't mind communing with nature but not on a full time basis.

>> Did you move to a property along the Tamar? It's really nice along
>> there. We would have liked to retire there somewhere but that would have
>> meant leaving all the family behind.

> No, I'm still well to the east of Launy, but the Tamar Valley is also
> very nice - albeit a bit too populated for me.
> I really wanted to be isolated from any degree of rat race, and I
> certainly got what I wanted.

Watch out... I was having a look at the state forests east of Lonny on
Google Maps. Looks like they are taking to them with chainsaws! Lots of
freshly cleared areas there nowadays. I had a recent filght to Hobart
and was amazed at how much of the native forest was gone. I recall areas
from 30 - 50 years ago where all you would see was one continuous vista
of trees. Now those vistas are getting decidedly patchy. Whole swathes
of forest gone!!!

>>> 2: Secondly, you only occasionally visit Tasmania, and know a hell of a
>>> lot less about the place than you think you do.

>> We're taking the opportunity to take a couple of the great grandkids
>> over to Tassie for the Easter break. Going on the ferry, a new
>> experience for the kids.

> Be sure to book ASAP if you haven't already. In fact it may well be too
> late now...
> The boats have frequently been booked out lately.

I booked and paid for it ages back. Only my wife and I were travelling
at first. I was worried when we had to add the kids in and go from a 2
berth cabin to a 4 berth. It was getting quite tight then (4 weeks back)
but they managed to accommodate us. Had to change the vehicle too as we
were originally going to travel in our small runabout. Now we're going
in a borrowed crewcab utility as our runabout wouldn't have had enough
room for our stuff and the kids. Now we have space to spare! ;-)
When I went to alter the booking, I drove down to the booking office at
the ferry terminal. Much easier to talk to a real person when you need
to make major changes. As well, a smile and polite chitchat helps the
process when things are tight. Hard to smile over a phone I've found.

> Last November I bought a car in Melbourne - had to wait 11 days for a

Lots of cheapies here at the moment, all hail damaged! ;-) Tennis ball
sized hailstones!!!

> booking, so I headed up to Sydney and visited some relatives for the
> interim. There was some sort of Harley/biker event thing happening in
> Launy - there were seemingly thousands of them - they were the main
> reason the boat was so heavily booked at that time.

I expected bookings to be tight at Easter so I booked early. No
discounts too.

>>> 3: Third, you're relying on Google (yet again) to come up with names and
>>> places in a bid to engender the impression of knowledge. You're never
>>> going to grow out of doing that, are you?
>>>
>>> 4: I don't shop at St Helens. I shop in Launceston.
>>> Now, there's really only three decent delicatessens in Launy, perhaps

>> Ah, Lonny, know the place well. Had a nice big country town feel to the
>> place. Spent some time at the Immigration Offices there back in about
>> 1980. I daresay it hasn't changed a lot since. Used to love my walks
>> through the Cataract Gorge. Say, do they still have that chairlift there?

> Chairlift is still there. The Gorge is a nice place to visit, the g/f
> and I occasionally take some lunch there on the days I come in to get
> supplies, since it's virtually in the city. A nice little oasis.

We'll be spending most of our time down around Hobart. Might spend a bit
of time in Lonny on the way back to Devonport.

>> I used to frequent a deli in or near the Quadrant. Probably not there
>> any more. After all, it was a long time back.

> That's Wursthaus. A very good deli it is too. They have a couple of

Can't recall if that was the name it was called back then. Might be
worth having a look but I will be there on a public holiday so it may
not be open. From what I recall, Lonny had Saturday morning shopping
back in the late 70's. The city just seemed to die on Saturday at 12
noon precisely, all the shops shut their doors, and it remained dead for
the remainder of the weekend. That's why I felt it was like a big
country town as a lot of places here in rural Victoria and NSW operated
in a like manner.
Seem to recall Melbourne as a bit of a ghost town on Saturday afternoon
and Sunday back then as well. Not like that here now!!!

> other stores around Tassie, along with a place in Deloraine (I think
> it's in Deloraine?) where they make a lot of pates, sausages,
> liverwurst... that sort of thing.
>
> Hope you booked for that boat!

All done and dusted!!

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/03/2010 2:28 AM, PLucas wrote:
> > wrote in news:4ba9fa77$0$1783$afc38c87
> @news.optusnet.com.au:
>
>> On 24/03/2010 7:22 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>>> PLucas wrote:

>> <snip>
>>

>>> Should I or shouldn't I take the bait?
>>>
>>> Okay - just this once:
>>> http://i39.tinypic.com/ras3zm.jpg
>>> http://i39.tinypic.com/jqonyg.jpg

>> Those truffles look a bit ordinary to me.

> Look like goat turds picked up in the back yard. Really.
>
> They could be *anything*, the pic is that crappy.

Goat turds? I hope they taste a tad better than that!!!

>> We would have liked to retire there somewhere but that would have
>> meant leaving all the family behind.

> In some cases, that's not a bad thing :-)

In my case, it would be a dreadful thing. Love watching the grandkids
and the great grandkids grow up. One of the joys of life!

>> Ah, Lonny, know the place well. Had a nice big country town feel to the
>> place. Spent some time at the Immigration Offices there back in about
>> 1980. I daresay it hasn't changed a lot since. Used to love my walks
>> through the Cataract Gorge. Say, do they still have that chairlift there?

> Yep.
>
> http://www.launcestoncataractgorge.c...chairlift.html
>

> I spent a bit of time in and around Lonny as well. I was using Shearwater as
> a base.

Is that the Shearwater near Devonport? I once had a quick flying visit
to a friend who lived at Port Sorell, a hamlet next to Shearwater. It's
much closer to Devonport than it is to Lonny. Had a conference to attend
at the Shearwater Resort so took the opportunity to visit my friend at
the same time. Nice resort! Lucky it's pretty much self contained as it
is not overly handy to anywhere except Devonport.

> When we moved our base down to Hobart, we met a lady in a shop in Richmond
> who was from Melbourne who took us, along with her friends, to her favourite
> Indian restaurant in Lonnie. It was nothing for her and her frinds to do that
> trip once a fortnight. Most Taswegians thought they were mad!!

Yes, a trip of more than 20 miles required much foreward planning. A
trip 0f ~120 miles would be a mind bender to the average Taswegian. A
day to drive up, a couple of days rest (hotel bookings, etc.) and
another day to drive back. I met people over there in the late 70's who
had never been more than 20 miles from their homes in their entire lives.
I trust the place has moved on since then.

> I did prefer Devonport to Lonny though.
> Spent more than a few days up on the rock wall near the lighthouse wetting a
> line :-)
>

>> I used to frequent a deli in or near the Quadrant. Probably not there
>> any more. After all, it was a long time back.
>>

> Wursthaus at Olivers??

After 30+ years, the name escapes me. It probably wouldn't be the same
name now after all this time, even in Tasmania where things move quite
slowly.. ;-)

> It's in the Quadrant Mall.

Is it a Mall now? I remember it was a little street, a quarter circle,
that went from one street to another. Pointless street really but
definitely quaint.

> When you go back over, are you going to stay 'up North'?? If so, do you like
> oysters....... really *big*, free oysters??

We will be down south for most of the time. We will be staying with
friends who moved over there when they retired. Can't say I like
oysters! Had some at Doyle's in Sydney in 73 and wasn't impressed. Never
had any since!

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Krypsis wrote:
> On 25/03/2010 2:24 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> Krypsis wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Those truffles look a bit ordinary to me.

>> You could well be right for all I know - not having any previous
>> experience with them.

> Ditto for me. They would want to taste fantastic to compensate for their
> appearance! ;-)
>
>> BTW, that's all that is left of them... down to about half of one
>> truffle left now.

> Ah, so you decided you like them then?
>>
>> I do like them, they certainly take scrambled eggs to a different level.
>> But I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay for them - maybe occasionally
>> perhaps. I think the local truffles are in season around August, I'll be
>> sure to buy at least one of those and see what I think then whether
>> they're worth buying or not.

> Let me know what you think of them.

Okay, just have to wait until around August...

<snip>

>>> St Helens is a bit too remote for me. Born and raised a city boy here in
>>> Melbourne, I found it far too quiet when we stayed in the area for a
>>> week.

>> LOL. If you found St Helens a little too remote, then you certainly
>> wouldn't like where I am now
>> There isn't even a town here at all... I am surrounded by state forest.

> You got that right! Born a city boy, always a city boy.
> I don't mind communing with nature but not on a full time basis.

Fair enough...

>>> Did you move to a property along the Tamar? It's really nice along
>>> there. We would have liked to retire there somewhere but that would have
>>> meant leaving all the family behind.

>> No, I'm still well to the east of Launy, but the Tamar Valley is also
>> very nice - albeit a bit too populated for me.
>> I really wanted to be isolated from any degree of rat race, and I
>> certainly got what I wanted.
>>

> Watch out... I was having a look at the state forests east of Lonny on
> Google Maps. Looks like they are taking to them with chainsaws! Lots of
> freshly cleared areas there nowadays. I had a recent filght to Hobart
> and was amazed at how much of the native forest was gone. I recall areas
> from 30 - 50 years ago where all you would see was one continuous vista
> of trees. Now those vistas are getting decidedly patchy. Whole swathes
> of forest gone!!!

That's right. Tasmania is still incredibly beautiful, with a comfortable
lifestyle and is a foodies paradise - but I give it about 50 years
before they rape the place beyond recovery. You can thank Gunns for
apparently owning nearly every politician for that. Gunns think they own
Tasmania... there are also many viable farms being bought out or leased
by Gunns who are planting mile after mile of hybrid Blue Gums... then
they spray the lot with herbicides, and then kill off all the wallabies
and roos using either poison, or hire ppl to shoot them - many of whom
couldnt care less if they kill the animals outright or just mortally
wound them. The monoculture of Blue Gums also means all other wildlife
dies out as well.

At least in my lifetime, it'll still be pristine where it matters (for
me)... mostly.

<snip>

>>> We're taking the opportunity to take a couple of the great grandkids
>>> over to Tassie for the Easter break. Going on the ferry, a new
>>> experience for the kids.

>> Be sure to book ASAP if you haven't already. In fact it may well be too
>> late now...
>> The boats have frequently been booked out lately.

> I booked and paid for it ages back. Only my wife and I were travelling
> at first. I was worried when we had to add the kids in and go from a 2
> berth cabin to a 4 berth. It was getting quite tight then (4 weeks back)
> but they managed to accommodate us. Had to change the vehicle too as we
> were originally going to travel in our small runabout. Now we're going
> in a borrowed crewcab utility as our runabout wouldn't have had enough
> room for our stuff and the kids. Now we have space to spare! ;-)
> When I went to alter the booking, I drove down to the booking office at
> the ferry terminal. Much easier to talk to a real person when you need
> to make major changes. As well, a smile and polite chitchat helps the
> process when things are tight. Hard to smile over a phone I've found.

Good to see you're booked!

>> Last November I bought a car in Melbourne - had to wait 11 days for a

> Lots of cheapies here at the moment, all hail damaged! ;-) Tennis ball
> sized hailstones!!!

LOL, yeah, I guess there would be!

<snip>

>> That's Wursthaus. A very good deli it is too. They have a couple of

> Can't recall if that was the name it was called back then. Might be
> worth having a look but I will be there on a public holiday so it may
> not be open. From what I recall, Lonny had Saturday morning shopping
> back in the late 70's. The city just seemed to die on Saturday at 12
> noon precisely, all the shops shut their doors, and it remained dead for
> the remainder of the weekend. That's why I felt it was like a big
> country town as a lot of places here in rural Victoria and NSW operated
> in a like manner.

It's a bit different now, although it still has something of a country feel.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/03/2010 2:59 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> Krypsis wrote:

<snip>

>> Let me know what you think of them.

> Okay, just have to wait until around August...

Is that the truffle season??

<snip>

>> Watch out... I was having a look at the state forests east of Lonny on
>> Google Maps. Looks like they are taking to them with chainsaws! Lots of
>> freshly cleared areas there nowadays. I had a recent filght to Hobart
>> and was amazed at how much of the native forest was gone. I recall areas
>> from 30 - 50 years ago where all you would see was one continuous vista
>> of trees. Now those vistas are getting decidedly patchy. Whole swathes
>> of forest gone!!!

> That's right. Tasmania is still incredibly beautiful, with a comfortable
> lifestyle and is a foodies paradise - but I give it about 50 years
> before they rape the place beyond recovery. You can thank Gunns for
> apparently owning nearly every politician for that. Gunns think they own
> Tasmania... there are also many viable farms being bought out or leased
> by Gunns who are planting mile after mile of hybrid Blue Gums... then

Isn't that the gum variety I've read about that's leaching toxins into
the groundwater and river systems over there?

> they spray the lot with herbicides, and then kill off all the wallabies

Don't need pesticide if the trees are capable of producing their own
variety of toxins.

> and roos using either poison, or hire ppl to shoot them - many of whom
> couldnt care less if they kill the animals outright or just mortally
> wound them. The monoculture of Blue Gums also means all other wildlife
> dies out as well.

I don't know which is worse, a monoculture of hybrid blue gums or a
monoculture of pines. Either way, the native forests will never
regenerate as they once were.

> At least in my lifetime, it'll still be pristine where it matters (for
> me)... mostly.

Luckily you put that rider in there!

<snip>

Good to see you're booked!

This time of year there's no other way than prebooking. Even when I did
book early, I was told that it was getting tight and options were
disappearing. For instance, I'd have like a porthole cabin on both legs
of the journey but could only manage that one way. Mostly for the kids,
I don't mind internal cabins as long as I get my sleep.

>>> Last November I bought a car in Melbourne - had to wait 11 days for a

>> Lots of cheapies here at the moment, all hail damaged! ;-) Tennis ball
>> sized hailstones!!!

> LOL, yeah, I guess there would be!

Of course you would be getting a car that is decidedly second hand even
though it's never been on the road. Some of the damaged cars I have seen
on television look absolutely wrecked. I think I'd prefer a pristine new
one.

> <snip>
>
>>> That's Wursthaus. A very good deli it is too. They have a couple of

>> Can't recall if that was the name it was called back then. Might be
>> worth having a look but I will be there on a public holiday so it may
>> not be open. From what I recall, Lonny had Saturday morning shopping
>> back in the late 70's. The city just seemed to die on Saturday at 12
>> noon precisely, all the shops shut their doors, and it remained dead for
>> the remainder of the weekend. That's why I felt it was like a big
>> country town as a lot of places here in rural Victoria and NSW operated
>> in a like manner.

> It's a bit different now, although it still has something of a country
> feel.

I guess I will soon find out! Probably drop into Lonny on the way back
to the ferry. Will have more time on the return. Might even have a look
and see if the city centre has changed much over the years.

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 21, 7:17*pm, Jeßus > wrote:
> The delicatessen I frequent was good enough to give me two Italian black
> truffles to try last Friday. I've been searching around for some
> relevant recipes using truffles, but really haven't found a whole lot
> that excites me.
>
> I grated some over creamy scrambled eggs this morning... I loved it and
> intend to have it that way again.
>
> I thought some of you may have some better ideas than I can find via
> searching, as to some yummy recipes?
>
> I'd prefer simple, uncomplicated recipes that highlight the truffles.
> I'm told these truffles I was given are just past their peak (no
> noticeable ammonia smell as yet) but I was advised to used them up quickly.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Shave on pasta with a white sauce.

Put into meaty sauces/gravies with beef, lamb etc.

Combined with mushrooms with no strong aromas of their own

With mild cheese

With beans

With mashed/fried potatoes

In pretty much any other dish that doesn't have any competing strong
aromas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/03/2010 2:59 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> Krypsis wrote:

<snip>

>>> That's Wursthaus. A very good deli it is too. They have a couple of

>> Can't recall if that was the name it was called back then. Might be
>> worth having a look but I will be there on a public holiday so it may
>> not be open. From what I recall, Lonny had Saturday morning shopping
>> back in the late 70's. The city just seemed to die on Saturday at 12
>> noon precisely, all the shops shut their doors, and it remained dead for
>> the remainder of the weekend. That's why I felt it was like a big
>> country town as a lot of places here in rural Victoria and NSW operated
>> in a like manner.

> It's a bit different now, although it still has something of a country
> feel.

It not a lot different now! We were in Lonny on Monday and it was
dead... d e a d!! Almost nothing was open. You could detonate a bomb in
the main street with little danger to the denizens of that fair city.
Even the rural cities in my home state have more life on weekends and
public holidays than Lonny. Kind of makes me glad I didn't take up the
offer of a permanent position in the department there though I probably
would have ended up in Hobart eventually.

I didn't bother looking to see if the Wursthaus was open. I figured that
since nothing else was open, it wouldn't be open either. We drove past
the Quadrant Arcade, not a sign of life.

A few new roads around Lonny, some new housing developments, but still a
quiet city. I did like the new freeway that almost goes right into the
city centre from the south.

After a walk through the Cataract Gorge, we ended up continuing on to
Devonport where we had a meal in the Bistro of the hotel opposite the
Ferry Terminal.

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 06:50:12 +1000, Krypsis reckoned:

> On 30/03/2010 2:59 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> Krypsis wrote:

> <snip>

>>> Can't recall if that was the name it was called back then. Might be
>>> worth having a look but I will be there on a public holiday so it may
>>> not be open. From what I recall, Lonny had Saturday morning shopping
>>> back in the late 70's. The city just seemed to die on Saturday at 12
>>> noon precisely, all the shops shut their doors, and it remained dead
>>> for the remainder of the weekend. That's why I felt it was like a big
>>> country town as a lot of places here in rural Victoria and NSW
>>> operated in a like manner.

>> It's a bit different now, although it still has something of a country
>> feel.
>>

> It not a lot different now! We were in Lonny on Monday and it was
> dead... d e a d!! Almost nothing was open. You could detonate a bomb in
> the main street with little danger to the denizens of that fair city.

Yep

> Even the rural cities in my home state have more life on weekends and
> public holidays than Lonny. Kind of makes me glad I didn't take up the
> offer of a permanent position in the department there though I probably
> would have ended up in Hobart eventually.

Hobart can be quiet as well. You can't have 24/7 shopping, entertainment and general conveniences
AND maintain a genuinely relaxed lifestyle without all the drawbacks of the rat race, IMO. I think
Launceston and Hobart are too big as it is

> I didn't bother looking to see if the Wursthaus was open. I figured that
> since nothing else was open, it wouldn't be open either. We drove past
> the Quadrant Arcade, not a sign of life.

Yep

> A few new roads around Lonny, some new housing developments, but still a
> quiet city. I did like the new freeway that almost goes right into the
> city centre from the south.
>
> After a walk through the Cataract Gorge, we ended up continuing on to
> Devonport where we had a meal in the Bistro of the hotel opposite the
> Ferry Terminal.

Sounds like a quick trip.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/04/2010 3:29 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 06:50:12 +1000, Krypsis reckoned:

<snip>

>> It not a lot different now! We were in Lonny on Monday and it was
>> dead... d e a d!! Almost nothing was open. You could detonate a bomb in
>> the main street with little danger to the denizens of that fair city.

> Yep
>
>> Even the rural cities in my home state have more life on weekends and
>> public holidays than Lonny. Kind of makes me glad I didn't take up the
>> offer of a permanent position in the department there though I probably
>> would have ended up in Hobart eventually.

> Hobart can be quiet as well. You can't have 24/7 shopping, entertainment and general conveniences
> AND maintain a genuinely relaxed lifestyle without all the drawbacks of the rat race, IMO. I think
> Launceston and Hobart are too big as it is

We spent most of our time in Hobart. You're right, it was quiet but
still a relative hive of activity when compared to Lonny. Went out to a
couple of restaurants whilst we were there. meant to get down to that
seafood restaurant down on the docks but didn't get enough time. Heard
that the seafood there is excellent and that the chef would cater to
special requirements. Even went down to Wrest Point Casino for a
flutter. Well, the women wanted to play the pokies at least. Casinos,
quite frankly, bore me to snores! I ended up reading the local and
interstate papers over a drink or two in one of lounge bars.

>> I didn't bother looking to see if the Wursthaus was open. I figured that
>> since nothing else was open, it wouldn't be open either. We drove past
>> the Quadrant Arcade, not a sign of life.

> Yep
>
>> A few new roads around Lonny, some new housing developments, but still a
>> quiet city. I did like the new freeway that almost goes right into the
>> city centre from the south.
>>
>> After a walk through the Cataract Gorge, we ended up continuing on to
>> Devonport where we had a meal in the Bistro of the hotel opposite the
>> Ferry Terminal.

> Sounds like a quick trip.

It was a very quick trip. I had some business here in Melbourne on the
Thursday so could only head off on Thursday evening. My wife had a
conference on the following Wednesday so needed to be back early to do
some final preparation for it. That's why we came back on the Monday
evening ferry. My wife had pretty much all of Tuesday to get her stuff
ready. The trip was, after all, just to visit some old friends so we
really weren't too concerned just how lively Hobart was.

The keep the topic on food, they have a food festival in Hobart through
the Christmas/New Year period.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_Festival
Missed it this time around so I might just organise to get back over to
Tassie when it's on again at the end of this year. Good excuse to go
back again. Also coincides with the running of the Sydney/Hobart Yacht
Race so Hobart should be pretty lively. The Wikipedia site suggests that
half a million people visited the food fair in 2009/2010. That's
equivalent to the entire population of the state so it must be a very
popular event.

Also popular was the Salamanca Market near the docks on Saturdays.
Noticed a section with nice fresh produce. We bought a variety of
vegetables there.

Grandkids had a great time in Tassie. They particularly enjoyed running
around the Cataract Gorge in Lonny. It's amazing that such a place can
exist right adjacent to a city centre. Went up to the Batman Bridge and,
with all the signage, the grandkids expected to see Batman and Robin of
cartoon and TV fame. Wrong person ;-)

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 19:39:29 +1000, Krypsis reckoned:

> On 13/04/2010 3:29 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 06:50:12 +1000, Krypsis reckoned:

<snip>
>> Hobart can be quiet as well. You can't have 24/7 shopping,
>> entertainment and general conveniences AND maintain a genuinely relaxed
>> lifestyle without all the drawbacks of the rat race, IMO. I think
>> Launceston and Hobart are too big as it is

> We spent most of our time in Hobart. You're right, it was quiet but
> still a relative hive of activity when compared to Lonny. Went out to a
> couple of restaurants whilst we were there. meant to get down to that
> seafood restaurant down on the docks but didn't get enough time. Heard
> that the seafood there is excellent and that the chef would cater to
> special requirements. Even went down to Wrest Point Casino for a
> flutter. Well, the women wanted to play the pokies at least. Casinos,
> quite frankly, bore me to snores! I ended up reading the local and
> interstate papers over a drink or two in one of lounge bars.

Yeah, I find gambling a fairly boring and pointless exercise myself

<snip>

> The keep the topic on food, they have a food festival in Hobart through
> the Christmas/New Year period.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_Festival Missed it this time around
> so I might just organise to get back over to Tassie when it's on again
> at the end of this year. Good excuse to go back again. Also coincides
> with the running of the Sydney/Hobart Yacht Race so Hobart should be
> pretty lively. The Wikipedia site suggests that half a million people
> visited the food fair in 2009/2010. That's equivalent to the entire
> population of the state so it must be a very popular event.

I'm tempted to go to the the next one, would be a great way to check out some of the less accessible
(to me) producers from around the state.

> Also popular was the Salamanca Market near the docks on Saturdays.
> Noticed a section with nice fresh produce. We bought a variety of
> vegetables there.

Yep, Salamanca is pretty good for produce.

> Grandkids had a great time in Tassie. They particularly enjoyed running
> around the Cataract Gorge in Lonny. It's amazing that such a place can
> exist right adjacent to a city centre.

It is, isn't it?

> Went up to the Batman Bridge and, with all the signage, the grandkids expected to see
> Batman and Robin of cartoon and TV fame. Wrong person ;-)

Heh

Oh well, you did cover a fair bit of ground in a short time.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw

Truffles -- What do you do with them? Phred General Cooking 19 01-10-2011 11:53 PM
truffles luvvie79 General Cooking 2 10-08-2010 07:58 PM
truffles fuzzy duck General Cooking 9 02-03-2007 10:38 PM
Truffles Nancy Young General Cooking 1 25-12-2005 09:16 PM
Need some help with Truffles Stef Chocolate 11 26-02-2004 04:45 PM