Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default truffles

I'm curious, what's the going rate for truffles nowadays? I've read it's
magical wonders but how can a regular household avail of it without costing
an arm or a leg?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

fuzzy duck said...

> I'm curious, what's the going rate for truffles nowadays? I've read it's
> magical wonders but how can a regular household avail of it without

costing
> an arm or a leg?

Start with fingers or toes!

All kidding aside, it's pricey no matter what.

I bought a small bottle of summer black truffles for I forget how much, but
what I remember is the flavor had about expired. My taste buds weren't
thrilled to death.

I don't buy into truffle oil or similar cheap products.

I've never tasted truffles where I could say "WOW! That's awesome," but
certainly look forward to the day.

Good luck,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> I've never tasted truffles where I could say "WOW! That's awesome," but
> certainly look forward to the day.

I've never eaten truffles. I've never eaten real Russian sturgeon caviar
of any grade. I'd like to try both at least once. I did stuff myself
with Maine lobster once. So much to do. So little time. So cheap I am.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell said...

> So much to do. So little time. So cheap I am.

.... cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent! ?

Andy
Owa-tana-siam
Posted to rec.food.cooking

fuzzy duck wrote:

> I'm curious, what's the going rate for truffles nowadays? I've read it's
> magical wonders but how can a regular household avail of it without costing
> an arm or a leg?

400 - 500 dollars US per pound slightly less flash frozen and about 16
an ounce.

Below is a web page for a commercial supplier, i have been told that
unless you can get them fresh out of the ground don't bother.

http://www.caviar-line.com/caviar/cu...me.php?cat=510

--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Many thanks, Joe. That's some valuable info there.

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> fuzzy duck wrote:
>
> > I'm curious, what's the going rate for truffles nowadays? I've read

it's
> > magical wonders but how can a regular household avail of it without

costing
> > an arm or a leg?
> >

> 400 - 500 dollars US per pound slightly less flash frozen and about 16
> an ounce.
>
> Below is a web page for a commercial supplier, i have been told that
> unless you can get them fresh out of the ground don't bother.
>
> http://www.caviar-line.com/caviar/cu...me.php?cat=510
>
> --
> JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

>I bought a small bottle of summer black truffles for I forget how much, but
>what I remember is the flavor had about expired. My taste buds weren't
>thrilled to death.

I've never had black truffles that in any way compared to
(good quality) white truffles. They are always very dull in
flavor. Fans of French cooking may think there's a subtlety there
but I've never found it.

>I don't buy into truffle oil or similar cheap products.

Yes, truffle oil ranges from vaguely okay to atrocious. That
otherwise respectable chefs use it is a travesty.

I posted on white truffle prices here in late January.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Leonard Blaisdell > writes:
> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> I've never tasted truffles where I could say "WOW! That's awesome," but
>> certainly look forward to the day.

> I've never eaten truffles. I've never eaten real Russian sturgeon caviar
> of any grade. I'd like to try both at least once. I did stuff myself
> with Maine lobster once. So much to do. So little time. So cheap I am.

A couple years ago my DH and I went to Vegas for a week's vacation. Since
neither of us is interested in gambling, we went for the shows and food. Not
the cheap buffets either. One of the places we went to was Red Square, in one
of the large hotels (but I forget which one). It's a theme joint, very upscale
all decked out with remnants of soviet communist leader finery, and a statue of
Lenin out front. It was VERY good. We made it a point to order sevruga caviar
as an appetizer. The waiter brought our one-ounce can of caviar with a small
tray of toast points, chopped onion, egg, etc. Oh, and a tiny mother-of-pearl
spoon. We meant it as a "try it once in our lifetimes" thing, but discovered
that we LOVED it. Very subtle salty fishy flavor, VERY subtle. I highly
recommend all fish-lovers should try it. Of course, at $85/ounce, it's going
to be a long time before we can indulge again. But it was sooo worth it!

Later, I realized that I should have swiped the lid to keep as a souvenir. Oh
well....

- Sharon
"Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 5:12 pm, Andy <q> wrote:
> fuzzy duck said...
>

> > I'm curious, what's the going rate fortrufflesnowadays? I've read it's
> > magical wonders but how can a regular household avail of it without

> costing
> > an arm or a leg?

> Start with fingers or toes!
>
> All kidding aside, it's pricey no matter what.
>
> I bought a small bottle of summer blacktrufflesfor I forget how much, but
> what I remember is the flavor had about expired. My taste buds weren't
> thrilled to death.
>
> I don't buy into truffle oil or similar cheap products.
>
> I've never tastedtruffleswhere I could say "WOW! That's awesome," but
> certainly look forward to the day.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Andy

For Andy: it's possible to find your own. Check in with North American
Truffling Society (www.nats.org). This time of year may be a little
slim, but there are still several species out. There is to be a forage
to Paul Bishop Sr.'s tree/truffle farm near Oregon City, OR on March 4
if you're interested.

For Fuzzy Duck: the only Italian White truffle product I like is the
oil. The active ingredient - dimethyl sulphide - has recently been
found in rotting biomass of estuary areas. So my comparison of Italian
White truffle to Tillamook dairy farm at high tide is somewhat
justified. Fortunately the truffle oil doesn't have the urine element
that fresh Italian White truffles have (at least to my nose).

A lot of truffles don't interest everyone. I've had many of them, and
prefer Tuber uncinatum (summer black truffle) to most of the other
European varieties. It helps to know someone who has just come back
from Europe with the truffle carefully cared for.

Daniel B. Wheeler

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy wrote:

>I bought a small bottle of summer black truffles for I forget how much, but
>what I remember is the flavor had about expired. My taste buds weren't
>thrilled to death.

I'm not surprised. (Below, link below with history and data.)

Andy or anyone else: Be aware that despite similar names and careless
(or careful) confusion in the marketing of these products, "summer
truffles" (Tuber aestivum, occasionally spelled aestium or aestiuum)
are a very different fungus from what are customarily "black
truffles" (T. melanosporum). They look different inside; the "summer
truffle" has generally very minor flavor or aroma compared to a black
truffle. It is NOT a summer-season version of the same plant. Its
market value in my experience is far lower (and might be lower still,
but for confusion with black truffles among North American consumers
who encountered it after it appeared in quantity there in recent
years). Common features: both fungi grow underground, they look
roughly alike outside, and people will spend for them. From an
experienced cook's perspective they are different vegetables. Beware
of "general information" about truffles from people in the business of
growing competing types (I am not in the truffle business at all).

I posted tutorial info and references here 2005 in <news:
> and on other food fora. RFC
version currently in Google archive at

http://tinyurl.com/ctznw

On Feb 21, 8:58 am, (Steve Pope) wrote:

> I've never had black truffles that in any way compared to
> (good quality) white truffles.

Sorry to hear of your experience, Steve! I presume you mean actual
black truffles (T. melanosporum). I've had excellent, powerfully
aromatic fresh (and even some good canned) examples in the last 30
years. In the same league, though different and less intense, than
the (true, Piemontese) Italian whites (Tuber magnatum [pico]). As I
recall, you missed tasting that beef filet I stuffed late 1987 ("à la
Strasbourgeoise"), posted story link at end below.

In the 1980s in Berkeley and until she closed shop a few years ago,
the great truffle procurer Sylvana LaRocca used to get outstanding
fresh black truffles by air from Italy. Bertolli at Chez Panisse got
an early pick of them at that time and then general consumers had
access to what remained, at her deli (Made To Order, I think). Once I
asked LaRocca off-season (Spring) if she could get some of the rare
early-year European fresh (real) truffles and she looked me over,
appraisingly, and said it was possible, but it would cost. (With a
look that added "and YOU can't afford it.")

Cheers! -- Max

Truffles -- What do you do with them? Phred General Cooking 19 01-10-2011 11:53 PM
truffles luvvie79 General Cooking 2 10-08-2010 07:58 PM
Truffles Jeßus[_3_] General Cooking 42 14-04-2010 07:35 AM
Truffles Nancy Young General Cooking 1 25-12-2005 08:16 PM
Need some help with Truffles Stef Chocolate 11 26-02-2004 03:45 PM