Stef

Default Need some help with Truffles

First off, I am sorry if this ends up as a double post. I tried posting
this yesterday and it doesn't seem to have been posted, so I am trying
again.

Anyway...I am contemplating opening a very small business making hand made
truffles
(there are surprisingly few chocolate stores where I live).

I was wondering if anyone has any advice and/or great truffle recipes.

Since I am keeping it small in the beginning, I plan on doing everything by
hand. I'd love to have special tools such as a chocolate tempering machine,
but after reading this news group, it's clear that it can be done by hand.

Any ideas/advice welcome.

Thanks (this is a great group!)

SC

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Stef" > wrote in message
> First off, I am sorry if this ends up as a double post. I tried posting
> this yesterday and it doesn't seem to have been posted, so I am trying
> again.
>
> Anyway...I am contemplating opening a very small business making hand made
> truffles
> (there are surprisingly few chocolate stores where I live).
>
> I was wondering if anyone has any advice and/or great truffle recipes.
>
> Since I am keeping it small in the beginning, I plan on doing everything

by
> hand. I'd love to have special tools such as a chocolate tempering

machine,
> but after reading this news group, it's clear that it can be done by hand.
>
> Any ideas/advice welcome.
>
> Thanks (this is a great group!)
>
> SC

Important questions: Have you ever made truffles before? What kind of
experience do you have with making chocolates?

rona

SC

Yes, I have experience making chocolates, although not so much in truffles
(more simple candies like fudge, etc.).

I am certainly willing to practice, and since I have a "real" day job...it's
not the end of the world if it doesn't go well.

SC
"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in message
> "Stef" > wrote in message
> > First off, I am sorry if this ends up as a double post. I tried posting
> > this yesterday and it doesn't seem to have been posted, so I am trying
> > again.
> >
> > Anyway...I am contemplating opening a very small business making hand

made
> > truffles
> > (there are surprisingly few chocolate stores where I live).
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone has any advice and/or great truffle recipes.
> >
> > Since I am keeping it small in the beginning, I plan on doing

everything
> by
> > hand. I'd love to have special tools such as a chocolate tempering

> machine,
> > but after reading this news group, it's clear that it can be done by

hand.

> > Any ideas/advice welcome.
> >
> > Thanks (this is a great group!)
> >
> > SC
> >

> Important questions: Have you ever made truffles before? What kind of
> experience do you have with making chocolates?
>
> rona
>
> --
> ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the inconvenience!***

frood

I found that I got the best results when I used good quality ingredients.
Trying to practice with lesser quality chocolate may prove more frustrating
than helpful. The chocolate won't melt the same way, may not temper
properly, and may not give you the type of coating you are looking for.

I have 2 books that I rely on for consistant results in truffle making:
Sweet Seductions by Adrienne Welch (this is out of print, but my local
library has it) and Chocolate by Nick Malgieri. I got that one from the
library, too, because it's a huge book, and the section I'm interested in is
fairly small. My library is *not* known for it's wide selection of books, so
you may have even better luck in finding some books to try recipes from.

Jump in, give it a try. My kids love to eat my less-than-perfect attempts.
;-)

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"SC" > wrote in message
> Yes, I have experience making chocolates, although not so much in truffles
> (more simple candies like fudge, etc.).
>
> I am certainly willing to practice, and since I have a "real" day

job...it's
> not the end of the world if it doesn't go well.
>
> SC

SC

Thanks! What method do you use to temper?

SC

"frood" > wrote in message
. com...
> I found that I got the best results when I used good quality ingredients.
> Trying to practice with lesser quality chocolate may prove more

frustrating
> than helpful. The chocolate won't melt the same way, may not temper
> properly, and may not give you the type of coating you are looking for.
>
> I have 2 books that I rely on for consistant results in truffle making:
> Sweet Seductions by Adrienne Welch (this is out of print, but my local
> library has it) and Chocolate by Nick Malgieri. I got that one from the
> library, too, because it's a huge book, and the section I'm interested in

is
> fairly small. My library is *not* known for it's wide selection of books,

so
> you may have even better luck in finding some books to try recipes from.
>
> Jump in, give it a try. My kids love to eat my less-than-perfect attempts.
> ;-)
>
> --
> Wendy
> http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm
> de-fang email address to reply
>

> "SC" > wrote in message
> > Yes, I have experience making chocolates, although not so much in

truffles
> > (more simple candies like fudge, etc.).
> >
> > I am certainly willing to practice, and since I have a "real" day

> job...it's
> > not the end of the world if it doesn't go well.
> >
> > SC

frood

I used to use a buffet warmer (like a hot plate, but not as hot, with a
large surface area) and put the chocolate in an old fondue pot. I stirred
while it melted, then moved it to a less hot area of the warmer, stirring it
cool, then moving the pot around as needed to get the temp right.

Then, for Christmas, my fabulous hubby surprised me with a Revolation I
tempering machine. It's pretty easy to use, although it is noisy.

I do have a marble slab, and I could temper that way, but I dislike the
mess.

--

"SC" > wrote in message
> Thanks! What method do you use to temper?
>
> SC

SC

I'm not sure if it was you who mentioned what temperatures you are looking
for when you temper chocolate, or if it was someone else. I will have to
look. Is there a good guide to tempering that you use? Do you sell your
truffles?

SC

"frood" > wrote in message
. com...
> I used to use a buffet warmer (like a hot plate, but not as hot, with a
> large surface area) and put the chocolate in an old fondue pot. I stirred
> while it melted, then moved it to a less hot area of the warmer, stirring

it
> cool, then moving the pot around as needed to get the temp right.
>
> Then, for Christmas, my fabulous hubby surprised me with a Revolation I
> tempering machine. It's pretty easy to use, although it is noisy.
>
> I do have a marble slab, and I could temper that way, but I dislike the
> mess.
>
> --
> Wendy
> http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm
> de-fang email address to reply
>

> "SC" > wrote in message
> > Thanks! What method do you use to temper?
> >
> > SC

frood

This site has good info: http://www.baking911.com/chocolate_melt_temper.htm

Nope, don't sell them. Mostly I give them as gifts, and try not to eat them
all. ;-)

--

"SC" > wrote in message
> I'm not sure if it was you who mentioned what temperatures you are looking
> for when you temper chocolate, or if it was someone else. I will have to
> look. Is there a good guide to tempering that you use? Do you sell your
> truffles?
>
> SC

Alex Rast

at Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:11:11 GMT in >,
(Stef) wrote :

>First off, I am sorry if this ends up as a double post. I tried posting
>this yesterday and it doesn't seem to have been posted, so I am trying
>again.
>
>Anyway...I am contemplating opening a very small business making hand
>made truffles
>(there are surprisingly few chocolate stores where I live).
>
>I was wondering if anyone has any advice and/or great truffle recipes.
>
> Since I am keeping it small in the beginning, I plan on doing
> everything by
>hand. I'd love to have special tools such as a chocolate tempering
>machine, but after reading this news group, it's clear that it can be
>done by hand.

It *can* be done entirely by hand...in a home setting. Unless you want your
business to be absolutely minuscule, almost a club for family friends, you
will need some equipment. It's just not practical, in any commercial
setting, to do certain things by hand unless you wish to pay for a huge
labour force. Having made truffles for many years, I'm pretty efficient,
yet my output, doing it all by hand from start to finish, is 1 kg of
truffles in 3 hours. This doesn't include the time necessary for the
mixtures to cool because during that time I could be doing other things.

Some things are virtually impossible to do any other way than by hand, such
as rolling the ganache or dipping it, but other things, such as tempering,
grating, and mixing, are much more practical to do by machine. I would
definitely budget for at least a small capacity commercial mixer/beater,
grater/chopper, and temperer if setting up such an operation.

"Handmade" doesn't and needn't mean that you literally used no machine
equipment to produce your product. What I would interpret handmade to mean
is that the machines didn't have control of the process - that is, that
they weren't regulating ingredient proportions, timings, temperatures, in a
fully automated way. And none of the equipment used would be high-volume
industrial machinery like enrobers, batch fillers, etc.

--
Alex Rast

SC

I have a Kitchen Aid mixer, but what would you recommend for a
grater/chopper and temperer? Are there reasonable priced ones out there?
If so, how much and where do you get them from?

Sorry for so many questions but I am just at the start of this process.

SC

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> at Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:11:11 GMT in >,
> (Stef) wrote :
>
> >First off, I am sorry if this ends up as a double post. I tried posting
> >this yesterday and it doesn't seem to have been posted, so I am trying
> >again.
> >
> >Anyway...I am contemplating opening a very small business making hand
> >made truffles
> >(there are surprisingly few chocolate stores where I live).
> >
> >I was wondering if anyone has any advice and/or great truffle recipes.
> >
> > Since I am keeping it small in the beginning, I plan on doing
> > everything by
> >hand. I'd love to have special tools such as a chocolate tempering
> >machine, but after reading this news group, it's clear that it can be
> >done by hand.
> >

> It *can* be done entirely by hand...in a home setting. Unless you want

your
> business to be absolutely minuscule, almost a club for family friends, you
> will need some equipment. It's just not practical, in any commercial
> setting, to do certain things by hand unless you wish to pay for a huge
> labour force. Having made truffles for many years, I'm pretty efficient,
> yet my output, doing it all by hand from start to finish, is 1 kg of
> truffles in 3 hours. This doesn't include the time necessary for the
> mixtures to cool because during that time I could be doing other things.
>
> Some things are virtually impossible to do any other way than by hand,

such
> as rolling the ganache or dipping it, but other things, such as tempering,
> grating, and mixing, are much more practical to do by machine. I would
> definitely budget for at least a small capacity commercial mixer/beater,
> grater/chopper, and temperer if setting up such an operation.
>
> "Handmade" doesn't and needn't mean that you literally used no machine
> equipment to produce your product. What I would interpret handmade to mean
> is that the machines didn't have control of the process - that is, that
> they weren't regulating ingredient proportions, timings, temperatures, in

> fully automated way. And none of the equipment used would be high-volume
> industrial machinery like enrobers, batch fillers, etc.
>
> --
> Alex Rast
>

> (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

Alex Rast

at Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:15:52 GMT in >,
(SC) wrote :

>I have a Kitchen Aid mixer,

A KitchenAid is more of a home appliance, not suited for a commercial
application where you can expect continuous, heavy-duty use. You need to
look at a Hobart mixer - these are easily available both new and used.

> but what would you recommend for a
>grater/chopper

My personal preference would be a Robot Coupe. You can get these at sizes
and powers that aren't industrial-scale, yet will perform reliably for
years.

> and temperer?

In this area, I'm somewhat less familiar, but some brands of commercial-
scale temperers include ChocoMa, ChocoTec, and Hacos. Superficially, the
ChocoMa machines look the most impressive but I am NOT the expert as to how
each machine performs. The best thing will probably be to scour your
kitchen-supply stores for a used model and get what's available.

> Are there reasonable priced ones out
>there? If so, how much and where do you get them from?

What's your thinking of "reasonably priced"? None of the equipment I'm
talking about will be comparable in price to consumer equipment - you get
what you pay for. OTOH, it's not going to run into the tens of thousands of
dollars, either. Seen in perspective, even a $10K investment is trivial. So
don't be afraid to spend a little more for really top-of-the-line equipment
which will repay its value multiple times over in years of reliable
service.

Also, unlike the consumer sector, there's little focus on frills. Don't
expect to differentiate much on features. Rather, the differences will be
in things like motor power, bowl capacity, voltage rating, and
construction.

--
Alex Rast

SC

Default Need some help with Truffles...Thanks Alex

Thanks for all of your great advice. I will look into these suggestions.
Unfortunately, a lot of things are expensive to me, but you are right, it is
worth the investment. It will just take a while for me to be able to afford
everything.

thanks,

SC

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> at Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:15:52 GMT in >,
> (SC) wrote :
>
> >I have a Kitchen Aid mixer,

> A KitchenAid is more of a home appliance, not suited for a commercial
> application where you can expect continuous, heavy-duty use. You need to
> look at a Hobart mixer - these are easily available both new and used.
>
> > but what would you recommend for a
> >grater/chopper

> My personal preference would be a Robot Coupe. You can get these at sizes
> and powers that aren't industrial-scale, yet will perform reliably for
> years.
>
> > and temperer?

> In this area, I'm somewhat less familiar, but some brands of commercial-
> scale temperers include ChocoMa, ChocoTec, and Hacos. Superficially, the
> ChocoMa machines look the most impressive but I am NOT the expert as to

how
> each machine performs. The best thing will probably be to scour your
> kitchen-supply stores for a used model and get what's available.
>
> > Are there reasonable priced ones out
> >there? If so, how much and where do you get them from?

> What's your thinking of "reasonably priced"? None of the equipment I'm
> talking about will be comparable in price to consumer equipment - you get
> what you pay for. OTOH, it's not going to run into the tens of thousands

of
> dollars, either. Seen in perspective, even a $10K investment is trivial.

So
> don't be afraid to spend a little more for really top-of-the-line

equipment
> which will repay its value multiple times over in years of reliable
> service.
>
> Also, unlike the consumer sector, there's little focus on frills. Don't
> expect to differentiate much on features. Rather, the differences will be
> in things like motor power, bowl capacity, voltage rating, and
> construction.
>

> >Sorry for so many questions but I am just at the start of this process.
> >
> >SC
> >

> --
> Alex Rast
>

> (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

Truffles -- What do you do with them? Phred General Cooking 19 01-10-2011 11:53 PM
truffles luvvie79 General Cooking 2 10-08-2010 07:58 PM
Truffles Jeßus[_3_] General Cooking 42 14-04-2010 07:35 AM
truffles fuzzy duck General Cooking 9 02-03-2007 09:38 PM
Truffles Nancy Young General Cooking 1 25-12-2005 08:16 PM