Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Point Cut CB

The point cut corned beef 99 to 97 cents per pound were limited this year to
1 or 2 per family/card/visit don't really know it just said limit 1 or 2.

Since the nearest stores are 'bout 20 minutes away through speed trap
country I managed to buy 4 at 3 different markets.

Getting the seedy mustard & brown sugar ready for day 1 and the kraut & rye
ready for day 2.

It never ceases to amaze me at the price differences between stores same
brand extra sour rye - 2 for $5.00 @ 1 store and $3.69 at store # 2.

Progresso soups (we use a lot for quick lunches) 4 for $5.00 at one store
($1.25 ea.) Store # 2 same can $3.69.

I guess there are people who just don't care. Not I.

Got your Guinness's ready?

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:44:51 -0800, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> This sparked a question for me. Does anyone use rye flour in soda
> bread? I don't know that I'd want to use 100% rye, but a blend sounds
> interesting to me.

If I wanted to try making soda bread with rye, I'd have to buy a lot
more rye flour than I could ever use. There was a time in my life
when I wanted to make really good limpa (bread) which has a beautiful
under-flavor of orange when it's done correctly. Unfortunately, my
husband doesn't like the taste of rye... so it was not something I
pursued after the first couple of tries.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/13/2010 4:50 PM, Dimitri wrote:
> The point cut corned beef 99 to 97 cents per pound were limited this
> year to 1 or 2 per family/card/visit don't really know it just said
> limit 1 or 2.

snip
EEk , point cut!, that's about 75% fat, nothing left after cooking,
flats are best for corned beef to me.

--
regards, mike
piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
piedmont > wrote:

> On 3/13/2010 4:50 PM, Dimitri wrote:
> > The point cut corned beef 99 to 97 cents per pound were limited this
> > year to 1 or 2 per family/card/visit don't really know it just said
> > limit 1 or 2.

> snip
> EEk , point cut!, that's about 75% fat, nothing left after cooking,
> flats are best for corned beef to me.

I've used the end of a home smoked pastrami (made with point cut CB) for
bacon and it was delicious. Just slice thin and fry until crisp.

D.M.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Don Martinich wrote:
> In article >,
> piedmont > wrote:
>
>> On 3/13/2010 4:50 PM, Dimitri wrote:
>>> The point cut corned beef 99 to 97 cents per pound were limited this
>>> year to 1 or 2 per family/card/visit don't really know it just said
>>> limit 1 or 2.

>> snip
>> EEk , point cut!, that's about 75% fat, nothing left after cooking,
>> flats are best for corned beef to me.

> I've used the end of a home smoked pastrami (made with point cut CB)
> for bacon and it was delicious. Just slice thin and fry until crisp.
>
> D.M.

Flat cut comes out kind of dry, which is why we get rounds when we can find
them, point cuts otherwise.

Keith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:34:01 -0500, "K" > wrote:

> Flat cut comes out kind of dry, which is why we get rounds when we can find
> them, point cuts otherwise.

I cooked a flat cut this week. It was *not* dry.

--
http://picasaweb.google.com/sf.usenet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:42:01 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:34:01 -0500, "K" > wrote:
> >
> > > Flat cut comes out kind of dry, which is why we get rounds when we can find
> > > them, point cuts otherwise.

> > I cooked a flat cut this week. It was *not* dry.

> That's what I was thinking, too. We buy the flats, and don't have a
> problem with them being dry. There is certainly still a lot of fat on
> them, and we simmer them before we bake them.

The one we got was well trimmed and the layer of fat was not very
thick... it was still tender and tasty. Can't ask for more than that!

--
http://picasaweb.google.com/sf.usenet

What's the Point of Bay Leaves? sf[_9_] General Cooking 192 19-04-2016 02:15 PM
what's the point? SteveB[_4_] General Cooking 0 11-02-2009 06:21 AM
Fermentation end point Crhoff Winemaking 4 24-03-2006 02:31 AM
To the point Jonathan Ball Vegan 1 26-02-2004 06:40 PM
What is the point of shortening? Yukon Cornelius General Cooking 16 22-10-2003 09:11 AM